PDA

View Full Version : Horseradish

Mike
11-30-2008, 12:56 PM
After much debating I decided to replace my hand me down food processor.

I dug some horseradish root to put it to the test.
I had just dug them last year and could not believe the size they got to. Two clumps got me over a quart.

I guess the sharp blades really make a difference. I usually got gassed out when I made horseradish in my old food processor but the flavor was never there.
The finer it's ground the hotter it is.

his time my horseradish put any I have ever bought to shame.

I made it last night, I spent a long time not able to open my eyes even after rinsing with "bottled tears" and Visine. My eyes are still tired today 3 hours after waking up.

But I think I used too much salt in this batch so I'm going to have to grind some more sooner rather than later. My head is not looking forward to that.

knitasha
11-30-2008, 09:55 PM
In the days before food processors, my grandmother used to grate her horseradish (and her knuckles) on one of those square metal box graters. Talk about tears! That stuff made you feel as though the back of your head was blowing off. But it did clear your sinuses.

If the batch you made is too salty you could tame it by grating some beets into it.

Sewing Angel
11-30-2008, 10:59 PM
When I make things like that, I take my food processor out on the deck and use it. Really saves my eyes and sinuses!

Mike
12-01-2008, 12:07 PM
I can't imagine grating it by hand. I can't believe anyone discovered it was edible before it could be ground in a closed container.
I'm amazed the Germans weren't throwing horseradish bombs in WWI.

The first time I made it I took the lid off and took a whiff, it did feel like someone hit me in the back of the head, from the inside.

I'm going to try mixing it with Miracle Whip. I didn't add vinegar to it this time and it's keeping the heat better than the years I added vinegar. I'm hoping the preservatives in the Miracle Whip will take care of the horseradish.
If it doesn't work I have plenty more.

Grind it outside? That would be the smart thing to do. Where's the fun in that? :)

evona
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
My dad used to help his father grind horseradish as a child in the 30's and 40's. He told me it was an awful experience. I love horseradish but I think I'm gonna stick with buying it from the store based on your report on the affects you've had grinding it :roflhard:

Mike
12-01-2008, 04:03 PM
I wonder how the factories that make it manage. I picture everyone working or living around it wearing gas masks.

The story of the first time I made it was better because I took a bigger smell.
Take the lid off and take a whiff, get smacked in the back of the head from the inside. Tell my roommate, "Here, take a whiff of this." :roflhard:

I had him get me his work goggles while I was grinding this batch and when he stepped into the kitchen to hand them to me he said, "Oh ****!"
The goggles were not suitable for horseradish gas. I told him to tell his boss he needs a real gas mask, these goggles are not horseradish approved.
My motorcycle goggles worked better.

Not adding the vinegar has the jar still providing that smack in the back of the head. And eating it causes tingling on the forehead and top of the head.

Now my brand new food processor smells like horseradish. I air it out and it's fine. Put it back together and it starts smelling again. I don't do much in a food processor but I certainly don't want a graham cracker crust for a cheesecake tasting like horseradish.

Sewing Angel
12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
What about putting baking soda in your food processor and cover it for a couple of day s to see if it will absorb the odor? I've had luck with of couple of things that had strong smells by doing this.

Mike
12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I've thought about that, or making a paste out of baking soda.

Also considered giving some vinegar a spin and a soak.
The claim is you don't grind horseradish with vinegar because it prevents the heat, and I think it neutralizes it now that I have some without vinegar. Maybe vinegar has a special reaction with the horseradish.
I have had luck with vinegar getting the onion smell out of vacuum pack bowls.

I think potatoes have some odor eating properties too, and horseradish goes good with potatoes. Maybe slicing potatoes will be all it takes.
The reason I don't use a processor much is because it's easier to clean a knife or a mandolin, but if I have to clean the vinegar or baking soda anyway, may as well try hash browns first. :)

But I haven't done anything yet because it's likely I'll be grinding more horseradish before I use it for anything else.
If worse comes to worse I'll save my old one for chopping crackers. I think that's the only baking thing I've ever used it for where horseradish flavor would definitely not be a good thing.
Funny that my old one never took on odors, one would think the modern one would be better plastic.

Sewing Angel
12-02-2008, 12:26 AM
I like the idea about the potatoes. Sounds tasty! I too use vinegar for lots of stuff.

It is amazing that someone decided to eat horseradish, that must have been rough. I always wonder about the first person to eat an artichoke. They must have been really hungry!