PDA

View Full Version : Teaching people to knit

Marria
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I am excited to say that two of my co-workers have seen me knitting on my lunch break and have asked me to teach them to knit. I agreed, as I always enjoy bringing more people into the fold. :woohoo:

I am thinking about how to approach this--I am going to bring some of my needles and yarn for them to borrow so they can see if they really want to do this without buying their own supplies. But I am mulling some other things around in my brain, and I'd love to get your input.

I am trying to decide what needle size to start them out on--I was thinking 8s or 9s--I don't want them to start with anything too small, but also I think larger ones might be awkward as well.

Also, I am thinking about whether or not to start out by casting on for them, teaching them knit and purl and then going back and teaching them to cast on. It seemed to me when I learned to knit that casting on was the hardest part, and I don't want them to get discouraged.

What do you all think?

klymyshyn
12-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Each person learns differently. I am particularly visual, so pictures taught me to knit. ANY current knitting magazine contains very good visuals for this.
I would teach them the simple "left thumb loop, single strand" cast on. It was my first and still my most used (and easiest to remember) cast on stitch.

traceleighj
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
When I learned to knit, the gal who taught me just had me cast on a million times...I'd cast on, she'd rip it out. Then my first project was a scarf in just knit stitch. Second, a scarf in all purl....At least by the time I was done I could remember how to do all three. Good luck!:blooby:

Sknitter56
12-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I, too, was asked my one of my coworkers to teach her how to knit. She always cross stitched and I kept trying to encourage her to learn how to knit, so she could actually "wear" what she made, but she wanted nothing to do with it. Then one day, I brought in some eyelash yarn that I'd bought to embellish a hat I was making for my niece and she went crazy! That's what pushed her into wanting to learn to knit...that funky eyelash yarn. And...that's what she wanted to learn with. I told her that to start off, she should use a smooth yarn to learn the way the stitches looked, but she insisted on the eyelash yarn. So, I told her what to buy and started from the beginning....casting on...with the eyelash yarn! Her first project (a scarf) ended up with twice as many stitches as she started with, but I showed her what she was doing wrong and taught her the three basics and now she knits beautifully. I've taught her socks, cables, increases, decreases...and she's knitting up a storm. She thanks me all the time for hounding her about learning how to knit. She fought me for several years about it, insisting that she only liked to cross stitch, but now she's so glad she finally learned how to knit.
My opinion is...teach the cast on....it's not that hard and every project has to be started with a cast on so it's a vital piece of information. Then..go from there. Good Luck!

ArtLady1981
12-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I've taught children and adults...here's my recommendation:

Session One:
1) how to cast on (no, don't do it for them)
2) the "knit" stitch
3) the "garter stitch" pattern
4) how to count stitches at the end of EVERY ROW to make sure they haven't dropped a stitch, or, created a new stitch by an accidental "yarn over"
5) how to pick up a dropped stitch
6) how to "frog" down to a bad row
7) how to "tink" back within a bad row

Session Two:
1) the "purl" stitch
2) the "stocking stitch"
3) how to bind off

With Session One they will be able to create a scarf or a dishcloth.
They are knitting!

Too much too soon is a disaster, and that is disheartening.
It is amazing how happy they are when they can knit a garter stitch scarf or dishcloth!

Session Three:
1) Seed stitch
2) a basic cable
3) The Irish Hiking Scarf

CroKnit
12-02-2008, 02:08 AM
when I started I didnt have anyone teaching me, but I must of course give thanks to KH for the many tutorials tho! I tried multiple cast ons. I like the long tail best altho the down fall is, if you dont have enough for your pattern, it's rip and start over; if its still long after you finish, you can always trim off (wasteful still). As practice, I like the that method of cast on. Easier for me.