PDA

View Full Version : 2009 YEAR OF THE STASH! Join the Stash Train!

Pages : [1] 2

ArtLady1981
12-02-2008, 11:12 AM
HI! :waving:

2009 has arrived, right on time, too! :cheering:

Would you like to make DESTASHING your New Year's Resolution? I heard on the News: the USA is finally officially admitting we are in a RECESSION! :pout:

Maybe your country is also feeling the pinch!

What better reason to DESTASH? We must keep knitting...but must we also keep BUYING & BUYING yarn? Well, yes...but...wouldn't you love to use that beautiful yarn that has been lingering in YARN JAIL for months, maybe years? :teehee:

As of January 1, 2009...our 2008 YEAR OF THE STASH thread will be retiring!

To welcome the 2009 STASH TRAIN...I am hosting the January KH Knitalong! The subject??? You guessed it!!! It will be a seamless STASHGAN project. Whether a small 'lapghan'...or a small 'babyghan'...or a medium-sized 'napghan'...or a large-sized 'manghan'...or a extra-large sized 'bedghan'...USING STASH YARN is the way to go! If you don't have quite enough stash yarn...there are some terrific yarn sales rolling in December! And you might be gifted with a Joann's gift card, too!

Please note that the Janurary KH-Knitalong can be worked on throughout the year! I will be available to assist you, and cheer you on, for the entire year! But let's get rolling in January!

Here is the link to our Seamless Blanket Project KAL (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87222).

Why not join us? Put January 1, 2009 in your calendar!

Whether using Stash Yarn for a host of different projects, or using Stash Yarn to create a seamless blanket...just use that Stash for something in 2009! Heaven knows I need to! :teehee:

KnittingNat
12-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Count me in:thumbsup:! Not for the stashghan (don't have that many leftovers) but for the Stash Train for sure!!! Lots of yarn just waiting to become something:cheering:

We can definitely feel the recession here too... Our savings are getting smaller and smaller. And the government won't acknowledge it and support the financial system.

Marria
12-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm in too, but not for the lapghan--why is this? Because I have a second resolution, and that is to finish all my UFOs. Seriously, I have a toddler sweater that just needs a button band and a baby blanket that needs maybe another 6 or 8 inches of knitting. And the size of my stash is ridiculous, even AFTER I gave a bunch of yarn to a wonderful co-worker who crochets and who just retired. So:

1. I will complete my UFOs.
2. I will not purchase any new yarn until I have completed my UFOs and knitted or crocheted at least two more projects using yarn from my existing stash. And then, I will not purchase any more yarn than is required for one and only one project!

Thanks or the suggestion. It's a great idea!

ArtLady1981
12-06-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm in too, but not for the lapghan--why is this? Because I have a second resolution, and that is to finish all my UFOs. Seriously, I have a toddler sweater that just needs a button band and a baby blanket that needs maybe another 6 or 8 inches of knitting. And the size of my stash is ridiculous, even AFTER I gave a bunch of yarn to a wonderful co-worker who crochets and who just retired. So:

1. I will complete my UFOs.
2. I will not purchase any new yarn until I have completed my UFOs and knitted or crocheted at least two more projects using yarn from my existing stash. And then, I will not purchase any more yarn than is required for one and only one project!

Thanks or the suggestion. It's a great idea!

Way to Go Marria! You Rock!!! :thumbsup:

Marria
12-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks! It will definitely help to know there are others trying to de-stash as well. It'll be a de-stashing support group!

MAmaDawn
12-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I know that I'm getting more yarn for Christmas, I have about 3 tubs of yarn, but a lot of it is for the afghans I'm working on, so I don't think I have enough for the Stashgan that are in the same weight, but I do want to use up a lot of my stash... So I'm in for this....

I think I'll look over my stash in Rav and see what I want to make....

I do have this one yarn that a ribbon/ladder type and I want to make a simple lacy scarf.... I might just use really big needles for it...

This will be fun! Wonder hos much I can use up..... :think:

ArtLady1981
12-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I know that I'm getting more yarn for Christmas, I have about 3 tubs of yarn, but a lot of it is for the afghans I'm working on, so I don't think I have enough for the Stashgan that are in the same weight, but I do want to use up a lot of my stash... So I'm in for this....

I think I'll look over my stash in Rav and see what I want to make....

I do have this one yarn that a ribbon/ladder type and I want to make a simple lacy scarf.... I might just use really big needles for it...

This will be fun! Wonder hos much I can use up..... :think:

Same here. I'm not quite sure if I have enough of this acrylic to finish Celeste's LOG CABIN kid sized stashghan, but I'm gonna start it...and use the yarn til it all gone...if I fall short...I might buy a skein or two of Simply Soft acrylic to finish it. But the main thing is that I will be getting rid of 2,000+ yds of old acrylic from my yarn jail! :thumbsup:

Shandeh
12-07-2008, 08:07 PM
I'll definitely be in on this KAL. We're losing some of our income this year, so I won't be able to afford to buy yarn for a while.

MAmaDawn
12-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Same here. I'm not quite sure if I have enough of this acrylic to finish Celeste's LOG CABIN kid sized stashghan, but I'm gonna start it...and use the yarn til it all gone...if I fall short...I might buy a skein or two of Simply Soft acrylic to finish it. But the main thing is that I will be getting rid of 2,000+ yds of old acrylic from my yarn jail! :thumbsup:

I think I have enough acrylic to make one, but I got it for the oddball baby blankets so I want to save it for that....

Do you all consider yarn that you buy with a project in mind part of your stash? Just wondering what everyone else thinks about it. If I am planning on making it soon or have already started it I don't really look at it as stash, although it's in my stash at Rav... does that make sense?

KnittingNat
12-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I do consider it stash, because even if i intended the yarn for a certain project, life gets in a way and i don't always immediately cast on, it can take me a year to get to that certain project. Considering that i try to buy yarn in "sweater amount", it can be a lot of yarn:teehee:

Shandeh
12-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Do you all consider yarn that you buy with a project in mind part of your stash?
I consider every single skein of yarn I own to be in my stash.

ArtLady1981
12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I agree with Shandeh!

However, I have what I call a stash "yarn jail"!

Yarn jail contains stash that I've had for over a year! :teehee:
Hopefully not sentenced to 'life', and with 2009 parole possibilities!

All the rest is just Stash In Waiting! :roflhard:

sakura-panda
12-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I absolutely failed at this last year :blush: although looking back over the year, I only bought one hank of yarn (for a scarf yet to be started), four skeins of yarn for an afghan I am trying to finish, 2 skeins for learning socks, and about 10 skeins of a clearanced yarn which I've changed my mind about what I want to do with it.

:knitting:

Okay, that was worse than I thought, especially since I don't have any finished projects to show for it. :rofl: (The more I put down the more I remembered something else I bought. :doh:)

Anyway, put me down again and if I finish ONE of my projects out of yarn from my pre-2009 stash, I'll consider it a success! :thumbsup: :roflhard:

cheekyprincess
12-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Count me in! I am not sure I will do the stashghan as I am in a local group that does one or two projects a month. My thing is not buying new yarn for the things I want to make! So, with that said, I need to rescue some of my yarn from yarn jail. I want to use all my cotton before I buy any new, I mean honestly how many dish cloths can one make?!! LOL I need to actually organize it to see what/how much of everything I have. That is step one. :o)

Marria
12-16-2008, 01:21 AM
In addition to a Stash-gan, which I'm not going to do because I actually gave away a bunch of my stash to a really sweet lady who knit with me on our lunch break, so I don't have that many scraps left. I do however have wait too much yarn and enough to make many sweaters. So I propose for anyone who is interested an Interweave Knits-along. Pick any pattern from any issue you like to knit using yarn from your stash. Anyone interested?

EDIT: Oh, and I didn't finish my UFO finishing resolution either ;)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-16-2008, 02:25 AM
u can count me in. Not sure how far i'll get (stupid wrists) but i have a bunch of baby yarn/caron ss/ and red heart (mainly left over from my crocheting days) that's sucking up valuable space in my yarn drawers.

now don't get me started on the fabric..... i have a ton of that too!

ArtLady1981
12-16-2008, 02:35 AM
Same goes for me. I will work on my Seamless Stashghan (a la Log Cabin style) for the entire month of January...but if I don't finish it by Jan 30...I will need to set it aside for a while. I am hosting a "SYLVI" HOODED COAT-KAL that begins Feb 1st!

Also, I'm really not sure how many logs my acrylic stash will create!

Could be I'll end up with a lapghan! :roflhard: Or a doggieghan! :roflhard:

I've been wanting to use up this acrylic stash, and this is just the right project. I've made 2 patchwork stashghans in years past, but the seaming for the patches drove me over the edge.

Seamless is the way to go...whether log cabin style, or the seamless intarsia patchwork style.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-16-2008, 02:46 AM
I've actually been thinking about also using up some of my cotton yarn (have a TON of it) and making some hot pads/placemats. I never seem to have them when I need them and I'm tired of using regular placemats to prevent my table from being scorched. I also requested the mason-dixon book from my local library, i understand there's a log cabin bath mat in there (which would be really cool in my bathroom that despite the males' opinions, i'm doing in rather girly theme but with bold colors!)

ArtLady1981
12-16-2008, 02:48 AM
I've actually been thinking about also using up some of my cotton yarn (have a TON of it) and making some hot pads/placemats. I never seem to have them when I need them and I'm tired of using regular placemats to prevent my table from being scorched. I also requested the mason-dixon book from my local library, i understand there's a log cabin bath mat in there (which would be really cool in my bathroom that despite the males' opinions, i'm doing in rather girly theme but with bold colors!)

Yes! I was looking at that bathmat the other day! It is cream yarn...and the logs are seamed together (or row #1) using red print rag fabric! Very cool indeed!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-16-2008, 02:53 AM
my cotton yarn is now taking up a full drawer in my cart and expanding into my knitting tote (one of those purple rolling carts from joanns). Getting kinda tired of knitting "granny's favorite dishcloth" since i only make them for me.

ArtLady1981
12-16-2008, 02:55 AM
my cotton yarn is now taking up a full drawer in my cart and expanding into my knitting tote (one of those purple rolling carts from joanns). Getting kinda tired of knitting "granny's favorite dishcloth" since i only make them for me.

:thumbsup: I heard that!

cheekyprincess
12-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Grannys dishcloth is so awesome though! ;o) My cotton is a huge drawer full and now is overflowing into the floor! LOL I literally have it still in the bag from the store where I bought it. My DH is havin a cow. haha

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I actually have yarn stashed in pillow cases and told dh that it's odds and ends to sheet sets...

he never looks in them :)

cheekyprincess
12-19-2008, 05:30 PM
WOW, never thought of that one! I might have to give it a try. :teehee: Cant wait to "destash" and organize in 2009!!!

I actually have yarn stashed in pillow cases and told dh that it's odds and ends to sheet sets...

he never looks in them :)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Ya gotta start em off slow. I saw a thing about how it's easier to store sheet sets in one of the pillow cases, tidier and you're never hunting for a full set.... So they'll see you pull out hte pillow case and pull out sheets...

after a couple of months, you take the odds and ends pillow cases and put yarn in them so it looks like sheet sets then put them up high under the "not full sets" deal :)

Karina
12-20-2008, 04:26 AM
LHFBM - you are sneaky, I love it. My DH keep saying when I tell him I want yarn for Christmas, that the one thing I don't need is yarn. My ten boxes of yarn and overflowing drawers are driving him crazy. My have to start using them pillowcases to disguise my addition.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-21-2008, 09:27 PM
it works :)

I also remind my dh of the fact that he has a TON of computer parts/superhero things that have taken over the shelves of our basement (and what's supposed to be MY office.. it's getting redecorated after the first of the year and the first thing to go are his super hero things... sunny yellow walls and a pretty darker blue carpet. it's meant to be a sun room so it's going to be full of color since it has 5 windows over the 3 sides not attatched to the house and i have seasonal depression.. plus i need a place to put my tredmill i'll be getting). So given he has a LOT more of his "crud" he can leave mine alone.

mommydearest
12-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Sounds like you'll have a great place to knit.

I'm going to plan this log cabin ...ghan into my weekly knitting. I'm going to start with my Christmas colors and work from there. I inherited a lot of red and green from a friend and need to finish that up first. I'll probably work some cotton into the project as well.

I know definitely what I'll be starting as of Jan 1st 2009 and that is my Central Park Hoddie (finally). I like to have a few projects going at the same time so I have to think a bit.

Good Luck with your destashing.

Mary

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-22-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm just going to pull bright colors from my stash (limited as it is). I'm doing the livingroom in the same colors as my office (only difference is the woodwork in the livingroom has a reddish tint to it) so it'll go for one of the rooms....

Unless my 5 cats lay claim to it first!

cheekyprincess
12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, I've decided to start my "detashin" early.I taught my niece to knit this summer and she loves it. So I am going to go through my stash and pick out some yarn for her and add it to her Christmas bag. :o) I know it will be loved and hopefully used with her!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-24-2008, 12:18 PM
excellent plan :)

I went to AC Moore last night and bought MORE yarn (and notions... 30 bucks worth LOL) and i'm going to Joann's this weekend for their big sale.

knitandpurl520
12-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I started knitting not too long ago, but I will definately use my yarn to make something good!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-25-2008, 12:22 AM
I have more shopping to do... apparently my youngest got me a "gift" at Joann's today too to give me for christmas....

YARN HERE I COME considering their sale starts friday :)

miccisue
12-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm all in for the "stash-ghan", but was wondering.....since this is a Year Of The Stash geared toward something seamless, I've got some yarn I'd LOVE to try and make a sweater from. Got any seamless, not too difficult sweater patterns to go along with the afghan idea?

I'm also planning on doing some shawls, facecloths, drawstring bags.....mainly stuff I intended to get done for this Christmas and ran out of time.

Anyway, if you could find an easy pattern for an adult seamless (or at the very least, one knit from the neck down that maybe would only have seaming on the sides and underneath the arms) sweater, I'd totally love to try that, too!

ArtLady1981
12-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi miccisue!

I will have 2 separate threads going:

1) The official KnittingHelp January KAL...for which I chose to offer a 'seamless' blanket...either LOG CABIN style....or BLOCKS Intarsia Style.

2) 2009 Year of the Stash (which runs all year)

Well...since I am the Captain of the Stash Train...I thought that my particular seamless blanket should use STASH before buying new yarn for it. So I'm calling my particular blanket a Seamless Stashghan!

So to clarify any misunderstanding: the KAL will be for some sort of seamless blanket. In that January Knitting Help KAL we will be helping one another on seamless blankets specifically. With new yarn, or stash yarn. Some don't have enough stash for a blanket...so they might buy yarn that goes on sale after Christmas.

As for your question about an adult seamless sweater...there is a seamless, top-down raglan sweater that I've made 3 times with different yarns. The pattern is called "Something Red" (http://www.knitandtonic.net/knitandtonic/2006/02/if_someone_aske.html)...and I've included a link to the pattern for you. The designer is asking $5.50 for the pattern download.

This is the model sweater.
http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/knitandtonic/images/somethingred5_1.jpg

These are mine. I made my sleeves long on all three.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/3075275769_4601d56ee4_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/3005539813_7a5294a55b_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2362563526_2a419b7502_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/2376699562_55952d3a91_m.jpg

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-25-2008, 02:46 PM
The yarn I'm buying is for other projects I have in mind... I THINK (ok, HOPE) i have enough in my stash for an afghan... I think i'm going to aim for a throw and see what happens from there.

ArtLady1981
12-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm with you LilMom! I have some stash acrylic yarn, and I'm going to knit my Log Cabin as far as the supplies will take me. Not sure if I have enough to complete. If I don't, I'll get some acrylic on sale the next time there's a good coupon. But I should get a good running start with supplies on hand!

thecatsmother
12-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm in for the stash train,I started to put my stash on Rav but there is just so much of it....and Michaels has such a great sale this week.......must-be-strong-must-not-buy.

Marria
12-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm totally going to stash-bust this year, and maybe participate in a knit-along down the road, depending on what you decide to do. :)

But, I did get a gift certificate from Elann for Christmas! :woohoo:

So I think getting some new yarn with that is allowed.

ArtLady1981
12-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm totally going to stash-bust this year, and maybe participate in a knit-along down the road, depending on what you decide to do. :)

But, I did get a gift certificate from Elann for Christmas! :woohoo:

So I think getting some new yarn with that is allowed.

Oh yessss! FREE YARN & GIFTED YARN is always allowed!

:woot::cheering:Yeahhhhhh!!!:woot::cheering:

Jaxhil
12-26-2008, 09:38 AM
I'd like to join!! I have two afghans OTN-one is definitely *not* seamless, though! But the squares are so easy, hopefully the seaming won't be too bad! I've got 13 out of 36 squares finished, so I'm already off to a good start.

I also have an incomplete afghan I bought for $2.99 at Goodwill~:woohoo:Its in pretty blues and greens, and its a crocheted ripple pattern with no directions (of course! :teehee:). I love the colors and its thick and cozy. The blanket is probably 1/4 to 1/3rd finished, and anyway, it was SUCH a great deal (looks like there's plenty of yarn-marked $5.99 a ball from Hobby Lobby), I can't WAIT to finish it!

Can I join, even though my squares afghan isn't seamless? I think I have enough stash overall to keep me busy for YEARS :p

ArtLady1981
12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Hi Hilary! :waving: Of course you are most welcome to join us! Maybe you could seam up the squares you have already made...for example....seam 4 blocks per width/strip...seam together additional 4 block wide strips...seam as many 4 block widths/strips all together as you can...and then pick up stitches from the top edge and finish the blanket in the seamless 'intarsia' style.

Just a thought!

Jaxhil
12-26-2008, 09:46 AM
oooh!! that's a *great* idea!! It'll be nice not to have to seam ALL of them at the end!! :thumbsup: Thanks!!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
I sorted through my yarns last night... the one recurring thought: I have an awful lot of red heart yarn considering I hate knitting with it... I also have a fair amount of baby yarns too...

MAmaDawn
12-26-2008, 04:35 PM
how does everyone store their yarn? We just moved and I want to make it more organized... I know I want a place for all my charity yarns... (ones that I use for the oddball baby Blankets and ones that I bought as a gift to send to people)

And I'd like some way to keep yarn for projects together, like the 2 afghans I'm making now... and the mittens, ect....

Any ideas?

ArtLady1981
12-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I store ALL my yarn in these clear plastic zippered bags.
This is a size medium bag...and you can see how much yarn it will hold. I also use the small bags which will hold 10-15 skeins of dk or worsted weights.

I get them at www.woolworks.com and they are not expensive. CLICK HERE (https://www.woolworks.com/Shop/Storage-Bags?q=storage+bags&x=0&y=0&match=all&min=&max=)

It is good to keep your yarns in zippered bags to prevent moths and spiders, etc. from setting up shop!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3025/3077499480_dcb830c436.jpg?v=0

https://www.woolworks.com/tools_v2/resources/f82d08a07f74bd5694dd896a52ba66de/upload_images/300;300;103560.jpg.jpg

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-26-2008, 07:46 PM
I went and bought some rubbermaid carts with the clear drawers (9 bucks each at target) and I have my yarn sorted: baby yarn, caron simply soft, Red Heart, Cottons, bulky, misc.

I have the smaller storage bins for my projects as well as assorted bags for my projects on the go.

Marria
12-26-2008, 10:16 PM
OK, not only am I going to have to stay away from Elann.com (except to use my gift certificate), Knitpicks and eBay, I am also going to not have to look at the yarns people have to sell on Ravelry. Because I just got 6 skeins of this:

http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/ultra_alpaca_sh.html

for 35 dollars. Doesn't seem like a great price until you look at the yardage. It's so nice to work with! So after that, I have to be good. Even though it's not quite 2009 yet. :) I just had to get that last bit of yarn buying out of my system. :teehee:

MAmaDawn
12-27-2008, 12:48 AM
I get them at www.woolworks.com (http://www.woolworks.com) and they are not expensive. CLICK HERE (https://www.woolworks.com/Shop/Storage-Bags?q=storage+bags&x=0&y=0&match=all&min=&max=)

Boy you are right they aren't expensive, really could be a better deal unless they PAID me to take them... :teehee:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/MamaDawn/FreeBags.jpg

But look your review is there! That's cool! I'll check back at them later, right now I keep mine in the plastic tubs with the locking lids, that's what worked where we were before, but I have more space now and I'd rather have them more organized... oh and they are all in ziplock bags too.

I have enough yarn that I think I'd fill at least 3 of those carts... :teehee:... but that's why I'm here right? :thumbsup:

Firey Vixxen
12-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I use Ziplock bags to store like colours, then keep them in plastic tubs, and have a storage bin of UFO's/PiW, and a rollar tub under the bed with jumper/sweater WIP's. Oh and a Paper gift bag of current projects that gets rotated with my backpack (I think I've got most of them now. I hope.)
Currently my stashgan yarn is teasing me. 2 more days, 2 more days.
Oh no! two more days and my stash-busting rules kick in! must buy now while I still can! :roflhard: ;)
In the mean time I have a garterbloodyscarf to try to get finished. *Sigh*
FV

Sassycanuckkniter
12-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I will definitely commit to de-stashing in 2009, though I'm not sure I can manage a stash-ghan as well as the 5-10 projects I have that are unfinished. So like Marria I will work on my UFOs until there are no more and then work my way through my oh so huge stash.

I'll be home with a newborn early in 2009 (i'm due Feb 27 - another boy for me) :) So I'll likely put the knitting aside whilst I get #2 settled, but I'll pick it right back up again when he starts sleeping for longer stretches and I am not completely pooped.

ArtLady1981
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Nice thing about the seamless blanket, no matter which style you choose: you can work on it, put it aside, then pick it up again when you have time!!

luvmykid28
01-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I hopped on board the Stash train last night and started knitting up some of the cotton yarn I have. I am working on seeral Baby Genius Burp Cloths and Baby Bibs for some expecting mothers.

I plan on destashing this year. My stash isn't that big, but I have only been at this knitting business since July and I can see it getting way outta control. I don't know if I'm going to join the Afghan KAL, but I'm gonna think about it.

I did organize my queue on Raverly, so I know what will be next OTN.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-02-2009, 12:50 AM
So, is it considered cheating if i go and return a portion of the stash to the store that i bought it from????

robynbird
01-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Even though I failed miserably last year - I'm on the train this year! In fact one of my goals this year is to not buy any yarn in the first 6 months! Although I have to confess that i did buy some Dream In Color this week before today!:aww:

I started today using some Bernat Alpaca Natural blends to create a Baby Cocoon for a friend's photography business. I'm also using up some Katia yarn for a neck warmer for another friend.

I plan to do the stashghan and use up my Caron Pounders and other acrylic yarn also.

Marria
01-02-2009, 01:35 AM
So, is it considered cheating if i go and return a portion of the stash to the store that i bought it from????

I don't see how that would be cheating. :) You aren't buying more yarn, so that's the important thing.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-02-2009, 02:09 AM
nah, just using the store credit for the things i need, like the correct size straight needles (found the yarn sticking to the bamboo needles... thus making it a royal pain to attempt to use what's in my stash)....

I already printed out a list for my dh to shop from for my birthday... It's ALL various feet and attatchments for my sewing machine so I can make a dent in the three 21 gallon rubbermaid bins of fabric i have (i only bought what's in one bin... the other two were given to me via free cycle). I hate working on the quilts only to have a pucker show up on the back when i'm doing the actual quilting because I don't have a feeder foot or the free motion foot... I even went and color coded so he knows which ones take priority over the other parts ;)

Marria
01-02-2009, 02:34 AM
I would love to learn to sew, but I don't have any room! And remember, if you are given yarn for your birthday, that doesn't count! :)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-02-2009, 03:02 AM
what about gift cards??? i still have over half of my gift cards from xmas for Joanns :P

ArtLady1981
01-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Yarn acquired with gift cards is BONUS YARN...and doesn't count against you! :roflhard: Try to get yarn that you will use asap!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-02-2009, 03:29 AM
i'm going to joann's tomorrow.... before i go to the SNB group :)

honeybunmom
01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm back on this year! And, I'm one project to the good already . . . although I will admit it was knit with yarn I bought in December.

I'll also admit I expect to be derailed as much of my knitting will be for my little boy due in late March/early April. I don't have much in the way of boyish colorways (cloth diapering knits here). So, I know I'll participate in co-ops that have stuff that appeals to me. Otherwise, I'm disgusted by the size of my stash and won't be buying any yarn for me - at least that's my intention. I have enough yarn to keep me busy for a variety of projects.

Karina
01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I am now officially on a yarn diet. Am barred from buying anymore yarn for the foreseeable future. I have just bought 20 skeins of Cascade 109 Italian plum for my Sylvi coat and 1 skein of red and 1 skein of jet just to see the colour. bought 4 skeins of Malabrigo in worsted weight in different colours just to try out and maybe make some wrist warmers and hats. Have just come back from John Lewis (a dept store) with 9 skeins of a blue and 11 skeins charcoal of Rowan Scottish Tweed aran. they did have a half price sale on. with all the other boxes of yarn I have enough to make a few jumpers, 8-10 pairs of socks, several lace shawls, a couple of blankets various hats etc and an endless supply of cotton for wash/dish cloths. My aim is to last without buying any yarn till my birthday in mid March. and hopefully completing one or two projects.

Already having withdrawal symptoms just thinking about not entering a yarn shop in the next three months.

ArtLady1981
01-02-2009, 07:31 PM
My 2009 GOAL is: buy no yarn whatsoever. I really could knit all year long and not run out of yarn. Maybe two years.

The LYS isn't my weakness. It's WEBS. :teehee: And, Elann. :eyebrow:
Quality yarns at incredibly affordable prices. They encourage bulk buying by giving greater discounts for $120+ orders, or bags of 10. Ebay can also be a huge yarn trap for me!

I began my January Seamless Stashghan (Log Cabin style) yesterday...I may run out acrylic yarn...but I will knit until the chosen colors run out...then I may dig up some off-color acrylic odds 'n' ends and orphaned partial skeins....and finish it with them...just to use the Stash and to get the blanket done!
But I won't be buying any yarn for it.

It's going to be a movie nights blankie for a 10 yr old granddaughter, so really the colors don't matter that much. The bulk of it will be in her favorite colors, pinks, teals, blues, creams, purples.

lelvsdgs
01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, I did so so at this last year but I'm going to go for it again this year. I am going to work on making the little stockings for the soldiers again which will use up the yarn I bought this year for the same project.

What I want to work on this year besides using what I have is to try to set time limits for myself. If I'm going to buy yarn, I will give myself x number of weeks/months to finish it befor I buy the next thing. So maybe this is more of a stash preventer for me! :happydance:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-03-2009, 03:26 AM
i finished a project from my stash (first project of the year, although it's small)... a baby hat.. which means I can't use the small bit left for anything except...

the stashghan.

ArtLady1981
01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
...try to set time limits for myself. If I'm going to buy yarn, I will give myself x number of weeks/months to finish it before I buy the next thing.... :happydance:

That's a very good strategy! :cheering: Good idea!!! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
i finished a project from my stash (first project of the year, although it's small)... a baby hat.. which means I can't use the small bit left for anything except...

...the stashghan.

:teehee: yup!!! :thumbsup:

traceleighj
01-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm TOTALLY in on this one this year. I was just updating my stash on Ravelry and have found more than I thought I had! While DH has been very nice, I have yarn for specific projects and I will have to make sure that I knit those projects as well as finish the one hibernating project that I have had just sitting there for the past 2 years- a fair-isle Christmas Stocking...maybe I can actually use it next Christmas.
My only purchase? A ball winder to wind some of the stash hanks I have- plus I will use a gift card so it's all good.
Now, if only I could do something about my acrylic stash...but that is all for Oddball blankets.

ArtLady1981
01-04-2009, 03:24 AM
Hi traceleighj!

Good for you! Welcome! :waving:

You will love the ball winder for your hanks! I love mine!
And your next treat should be a wooden swift, too! Put it
on your wish list!

I found you over at Ravelry! Nice stash! It isn't out-of-hand, so 2009 will be a good year for you to get it used up before it is ridiculous like mine! :eyes:

KnittingNat
01-04-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm in, of course! I do have lots of yarn i want to use for my next projects. I already knitted lots of stash projects. I think the only yarn i'm going to buy in the near future will be Rowan Cashcotton 4 ply for the Apres Surf hoodie, for 50$ a bag at Janette's Rare Yarns. I think it's a pretty good deal and if i have a project for it already, then i'm good:thumbsup:

traceleighj
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi traceleighj!

Good for you! Welcome! :waving:

You will love the ball winder for your hanks! I love mine!
And your next treat should be a wooden swift, too! Put it
on your wish list!

I found you over at Ravelry! Nice stash! It isn't out-of-hand, so 2009 will be a good year for you to get it used up before it is ridiculous like mine! :eyes:

Absolutely! A swift is second! The stash on Rav isn't out of hand, but I have discovered more that isn't on there! Oops!

KnittingNat
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Absolutely! A swift is second! The stash on Rav isn't out of hand, but I have discovered more that isn't on there! Oops!
The same thing happened to me too recently - i just accidentally found out i haven't put a 10 ball bag of 100% merino dk weight yarn on Ravelry, thus forgetting its' existence:teehee:. I was pleasantly surprised, but alarmed as well - is there more?!:shock:

ArtLady1981
01-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I heard a rumor...that yarn multiplies during the night when we're sleeping! Could it really be true? :teehee:

KnittingNat
01-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I heard a rumor...that yarn multiplies during the night when we're sleeping! Could it really be true? :teehee:
I wish :pray::out:
By the way, i just won the yarn i wanted on ebay, instead where i planned to buy and i got 12 balls of Rowan cashcotton 4 ply for about 45$ including shipping:woot: Now, i really shouldn't post it here... But it's a reward yarn... And i have a project for it:thumbsup:

traceleighj
01-04-2009, 07:25 PM

It's like a Gremlin- if you feed it after 10pm or throw water on it, it multiplies!

traceleighj
01-04-2009, 07:26 PM
And i have a project for it:thumbsup:

What are you going to make? Something for YOURSELF?????

KnittingNat
01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
What are you going to make? Something for YOURSELF?????
Yes,yes, for ME, mmmmmeeeeee! The Apres Surf Hoodie (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/apres-surf-hoodie)!

Karina
01-05-2009, 11:09 AM
that is a really pretty Hoodie

KnittingNat
01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
It is, it is:yay:! I do hope i'll finish it this year:teehee: With all the projects i have in my queue and the yarn i have in my stash...

traceleighj
01-05-2009, 02:12 PM

I second that! :inlove: Can't wait to see it finished- I will send you good vibes!:knitting:

sakura-panda
01-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I store ALL my yarn in these clear plastic zippered bags.
This is a size medium bag...and you can see how much yarn it will hold. I also use the small bags which will hold 10-15 skeins of dk or worsted weights.

I get them at www.woolworks.com and they are not expensive. CLICK HERE (https://www.woolworks.com/Shop/Storage-Bags?q=storage+bags&x=0&y=0&match=all&min=&max=)

It is good to keep your yarns in zippered bags to prevent moths and spiders, etc. from setting up shop!

I love that bag! :inlove: What a great idea!

I use a big crate thingy that I got as a hostess gift from Tupperware a long time ago -- I'm not sure what it is called, but it is a nice big box with a removable tray on top. My goal is to keep all of my knitting and crocheting tools and supplies in there with the yarn on the bottom and the rest in the top tray.

However, since I'm working from my old crochet stash, it is filled to the brim with skeins and balls of old yarn -- one of my goals for 2009 is to log what I have, just so I can have the satisfaction of crossing it off when I use it. :)

I love the idea of grouping yarn by type/color into a bag -- the mix of skeins and balls keeps getting tangled everytime I rummage around in the box. I suppose I wouldn't be able to cram as much yarn into the box if they were separated into bags though.

KnittingNat
01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I second that! :inlove: Can't wait to see it finished- I will send you good vibes!:knitting:

Thanks:thumbsup: I'll try to keep up and really knit my stash!

KnittingNat
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I love that bag! :inlove: What a great idea!

I use a big crate thingy that I got as a hostess gift from Tupperware a long time ago -- I'm not sure what it is called, but it is a nice big box with a removable tray on top. My goal is to keep all of my knitting and crocheting tools and supplies in there with the yarn on the bottom and the rest in the top tray.

However, since I'm working from my old crochet stash, it is filled to the brim with skeins and balls of old yarn -- one of my goals for 2009 is to log what I have, just so I can have the satisfaction of crossing it off when I use it. :)

I love the idea of grouping yarn by type/color into a bag -- the mix of skeins and balls keeps getting tangled everytime I rummage around in the box. I suppose I wouldn't be able to cram as much yarn into the box if they were separated into bags though.

Au countraire!
When i packed my yarn into ziplock bags, i took the air out by sitting on them and then closing, thus making the bag much smaller. That way i could put much more into the plastic tub. I'm not worried about the yarn being all smooshed up, because before i knit with it, i let it out of the "jail" and let it breath for a while to regain the air in its lungs!

KnittingNat
01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
I feel a spirit of silliness all over me, i just read my last few posts, i'm a total nutcase:passedout:

Firey Vixxen
01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Au countraire!
When i packed my yarn into ziplock bags, i took the air out by sitting on them and then closing, thus making the bag much smaller. That way i could put much more into the plastic tub. I'm not worried about the yarn being all smooshed up, because before i knit with it, i let it out of the "jail" and let it breath for a while to regain the air in its lungs!

Nat, I was about to say the same thing! I managed to fake-cull 48 liters of stash just from squeezing out the air last year.
And don't worry about being a nut. Sane people are Soo boring!
FV

mks22300
01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Hmm, I think I shall join in as I've already started two projects using yarn from my stash. One is a baby blanket for my co-teacher using some baby Red Heart stuff (this will be my first baby blankie too!) and the other is a hat for me using Cleackheaton Country 8 ply, I should have enough left over to make a scarf too. :)

KnittingNat
01-08-2009, 03:14 AM
Nat, I was about to say the same thing! I managed to fake-cull 48 liters of stash just from squeezing out the air last year.
And don't worry about being a nut. Sane people are Soo boring!
FV
Thank you! Too sane people are making me crazy:roflhard:

KnittingNat
01-08-2009, 03:17 AM
Hmm, I think I shall join in as I've already started two projects using yarn from my stash. One is a baby blanket for my co-teacher using some baby Red Heart stuff (this will be my first baby blankie too!) and the other is a hat for me using Cleackheaton Country 8 ply, I should have enough left over to make a scarf too. :)
Welcome to the Stash Train! Did you set a rule for yourself for buying new yarn? We have different opinions here, everyone decides on what is comfortable for them. ArtLady, for example, doesn't want to buy any more yarn at all, I try to do the same, but let myself go sometimes:teehee: . Gift yarn is not considered buying yarn etc. Don't forget to share your projects with us:thumbsup: !

Karina
01-08-2009, 05:08 AM
I did fall of the wagon yesterday and bought two cones of Super Yak from Colourmart. I am making a pair of gloves for DH out of some in my stash and have felted them. they are supersoft, so I could not resist getting some more while they still had some.

I am glad gift yarn does not count as my lovely husband came home with 18 skeins of Rowan Scottish Tweed Aran in a lilac colour. He saw that I bought two different colours a week or so ago and saw it at half price sale and bought it for me. Gotta love a man like that.

KnittingNat
01-08-2009, 05:38 AM
I did fall of the wagon yesterday and bought two cones of Super Yak from Colourmart. I am making a pair of gloves for DH out of some in my stash and have felted them. they are supersoft, so I could not resist getting some more while they still had some.

I am glad gift yarn does not count as my lovely husband came home with 18 skeins of Rowan Scottish Tweed Aran in a lilac colour. He saw that I bought two different colours a week or so ago and saw it at half price sale and bought it for me. Gotta love a man like that.
You lucky girl :cheering: I wouldn't count any Colourmart yarn as falling of the wagon:teehee: I'm dreaming of getting some of their cashmere to knit hubby a fancy sweater.

ArtLady1981
01-08-2009, 12:22 PM
DEFINITELY gotta love a man like that!!! :woot:

sakura-panda
01-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Au countraire!

Ooh, squished skeins -- I hadn't thought of that. That would actually work pretty well and I have a bunch of XXL or XXXL Ziploc bags that I bought but haven't used yet.

Hmm.... :think:

I think I'm gonna try it! If I can fit everything into that one tote, that would "free" me to go shopping again! :happydance:

This thread is getting better and better for me! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
You've prolly all seen those storage bags where the air is all sucked out through a hole which attaches to your vacuum cleaner! A comforter can be collapsed to the thickness of a book. A big bag of 12 rolls of TP can be collapsed to the size of a kleenex box. Good for storing TP and things in a trailer or motorhome!

When you store yarn, vacuum packed, it will also prevent any bugs from setting up house for long term storage!

But who's lookin' for long term storage? :teehee: That's anti-stash-ite talk! :roflhard:

KnittingNat
01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
You've prolly all seen those storage bags where the air is all sucked out through a hole which attaches to your vacuum cleaner! A comforter can be collapsed to the thickness of a book. A big bag of 12 rolls of TP can be collapsed to the size of a kleenex box. Good for storing TP and things in a trailer or motorhome!

When you store yarn, vacuum packed, it will also prevent any bugs from setting up house for long term storage!

But who's lookin' for long term storage? :teehee: That's anti-stash-ite talk! :roflhard:

I think my butt is as good as any vacuum cleaner, thank you very much:roflhard: I wish it was true for all the cat and dog hairs i have around my house:rofl::rofl::rofl:

sakura-panda
01-08-2009, 04:05 PM

Long term? What's that -- three months? :rofl: I'm just trying to get it all to fit in one box! :happydance:

I'm probably going to do the squeeze method myself -- I have some space bags but I bought them for comforters and blankets and I'm not planning to put all of my yarn in one bag. :blush: The insanely large Ziploc bags should do the trick! :thumbsup:

(I can't wait to go home and try it -- hopefully I'm not too tired to think of it tonight!)

thecatsmother
01-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I haven't been on here for a few days I've been busy trying to contain my stash...fabric and yarn.
I didn't know that it multiplied at night...that explains why I have so much LOL. I did knit 4 charity hats so that's 300grams gone and I donated about 30 skeins to other charity knitters.
I notice almost everyone keeps their yarn in boxs or plastic bags I have mine on shelves or bins in the open-should I be keeping it all covered?

Marria
01-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Hey Marie--I think it might be a good idea to keep your yarn covered. Even without critters and direct sunlight, there's not getting rid of dust completely. It probably wouldn't hurt it, but you'd have to wash it. Just my 2 cents.

It's awesome that you donated all that yarn to charity knitters! :)

ArtLady1981
01-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Way to go Catsmother! :thumbsup: Great idea and very generous of you to donate yarn to others for charity knitting! Congrats on the 4 hats you made! You are an inspiration!

I agree with Marria about keeping your stash under wraps of some sort.

luvmykid28
01-11-2009, 01:06 AM
I finished my DD staircase Tam a couple of days ago. It was a bear of a project. Even though I wanted to just put it down and never pick it up again, I finished it. I'm not sure if she likes it, even though she says she does. Oh well, I wear it if she doesn't. As much as I disliked knitting it, it sure did turn out cute, IMO. It ended up being much "puffier" that I expected. But I had to modify the pattern big time. I don't know if I read the pattern incorrectly, but after the 3 time ripping it, I decided the quit following the pattern all together. I'll post a picture later, when DD is wearing it.

Now I am working on the Garter Stitch Ruffle Baby Blanket". i am using Bernat Baby Coordinates Sweet Stripes, colorway Strawberry Stripes. I bought the yarn at walmart this summer when they had all their yarn on sale.

Onward Stash Train...:knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

ArtLady1981
01-11-2009, 03:28 AM
I've never felt so happy about a STASH PROJECT than the seamless stashghan I just finished. It is posted in Whatcha Knitting and in our Jan-KH/KAL...so I won't post it here again.

Every stitch was stash! :cheering:

KnittingNat
01-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I've never felt so happy about a STASH PROJECT than the seamless stashghan I just finished. It is posted in Whatcha Knitting and in our Jan-KH/KAL...so I won't post it here again.

Every stitch was stash! :cheering:
I commented there already, but i'll say it again - beautiful!!! And all stash!
I finally started my Ivy League Vest with the yarn that was purchased especially for it! It's slow but sure:teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Way to go, Nat!!! :thumbsup:

traceleighj
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
ArtLady- your blanket is Beautiful!!!:inlove:

MAmaDawn
01-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I started some socks with stash and next Tuesday I'm starting a Shawl (it's with Christmas yarn, but it's part of my stash now right?)

And I'm going to make a hood out of my Bernat Haven stash... I'm going to make it stripes... not sure how yet since it's different amounts of each... I was thinking random stripes would be pretty, maybe I'll roll a die to see...

And I did get more yarn, one sock yarn that was just too soft not to get and I also got this (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/iso-and-destashing/475721/1-25#reply_form). I'm the one lot 7 is pending on... he he he! 15.5 of alpaca blends for $60 I couldn't NOT get it... I know not really stash busting... but I sure am looking forward to getting that yarn....

ArtLady1981
01-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi MamaDawn!

Spiffyanne sure had a FABULOUS sale, and what a great way to go about it, in LOTS! Smart gal. I see she's sold just about all the lots in 3 day's time! Cool.

There are a lot of Stashies who alternate stash projects with new yarn projects. Back in the 2007 Year of the Stash days, we called it "reward yarn"! ;) For every stash project you knit up you could purchase a bit of "reward yarn".

The main idea in any Year of the Stash is to be stash-minded...and try to use pre-exisiting yarn as much as you can! Pre-existing yarn = any yarn you had in your possession prior to January 1, 2009.

:cheering: :knitting: :woot: :knitting::cheering:

KnittingNat
01-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Ok, my report so far:teehee: !
My Ivy League Vest (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ivy-league-vest) is coming along nicely. I finished the rib and about to start the main chart. Thank God for Ravelry and the KAL's over there :) I couldn't figure out the chart - where do i start and where do i end. My Celtic Tote (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/celtic-tote-2) is about to get finished soon. I finished the back and front and am now on the side-bottom-side strip. I finally was able to order the beads i was short of for my Mystery Stole 4 (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/KnittingNat/mystery-stole-4---serendipity-stole-and-socks), so i hope i'll be able to continue now with no problems. All these are knitted with stash yarn that was initially bought for these projects. I'm also going to start a pair of socks for hubby (we're going to the dentist hehe) with stash Lite Lopi and remnants of stash Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. I'll take a Fair Isle pattern from my Knitting Stitch Bible (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/the-knitting-stitch-bible) and incorporate it in the cuff. Wish me luck - it's my first pair of socks with no pattern:thumbsup:

sakura-panda
01-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Nat, you have such gorgeous projects planned! :)

I didn't go with the ziploc bags to store my yarn, but I did squish my yarn into the box and was able to fit quite a bit more than I had originally. Nearly all of my yarn is in there now!

For the stash train, I've decided to go with three simultaneous projects -- one with "new" specially bought yarn, one with "old" stash yarn, and an afghan that I have been crocheting for what seems like half my life. :lol:

My plan is to knit for an hour every night, rotating around these three projects, probably about four or five nights a week. :knitting:

My "new" project is a new scarf for my DS -- I bought the yarn at the LYS last November and after working on it again last night, I am about a quarter of the way done.

My most recent "old" project has been a pinwheel blanket (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/round-or-pinwheel-baby-blanket), but it is full of mistakes and I don't like the color, so I'm going to frog it and restart it later with a different yarn. I really liked how it was turning out, mistakes and all, but I'm tired of this ugly yarn and I think I've gotten far enough along that I won't make those mistakes the next time around.

Instead, I'm going to to the January "Stashghan" KAL so that I can use other colors besides that ugly green. :lol: Hopefully it uses more green than any other color, but at least I'll have three other colors to swap in for variety. :)

ArtLady1981
01-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi Nat! You are doing wonderfully! Such great projects, and a lot of variety! That definitely cuts down on the boredom! Keeps things interesting! :thumbsup: I am tempted to add the Celtic Tote to my queue! I added it to my FAVs over at Ravelry so's I can keep track of it! Thanks for all the links! I loves links! ;)

Hi Katie! I know how you feel! I've had the same thing happen on a big project, getting tired of the yarn. :pout: Sometimes I think that's what was wrong in the first place...I procrastinated working on the project because the yarn and I didn't get along! :teehee: I do know this: when I love the feel and look of the yarn I can't wait to pick it up, and I work on it for longer periods of time! You have a good plan: working for a designated period of time each night and rotating the projects! Way to go!

KnittingNat
01-14-2009, 12:22 PM
sakura-panda, the blanket is really special! So i think you should frog faster and show us the pretty result:cheering: What is the yarn for the scarf?
I'm trying to rotate my projects too, i like to keep a few going of different kinds - lace, socks and a sweater. So now i have the vest, which is all Fair Isle, the bag, socks i started today and the stole. I try not to get over 3-4 projects, because then i'll just drive myself nuts:rofl:

traceleighj
01-15-2009, 12:22 AM
So far, so good on my stash busting! I have almost finished my sock that I started last year this time...in all fairness, it is my small travel project so it didn't get worked on unless I was somewhere...I have knit a baby hat and booties for a friend who just had a new grand baby (started and finished today :p ) and then to finish a fair isle Christmas stocking.
Then I am ready to start my next project. I got the Aguona laptop bag (in reds) and the Andean Chullo hat. I can't decide which to start....
I am finding free patterns to match with yarn in my stash. I am finding this to be a big motivator! Now that I can match a pattern to my yarn, it just makes me want to knit more. Too bad there is this little thing called work getting in my way!

luvmykid28
01-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Here's a little something I knit up today. I made this itouch sock for one of my closest friends. She has helped me out so much these last few months. I can always call her and she is ready.

Once I figured out what i was doing and finished this I decided I really like it. I think I'll make a couple more as small gifts. I still have a little of this yarn left. It's made with I Love This Yarn sport weight, color Sweet Mocha Multi
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3122/3197838849_1705e8a8cc.jpg

ArtLady1981
01-15-2009, 02:57 AM
Traceleighj and luvmykid28! Wonderful stashbusting!

Good for you! It is so great to find free patterns to fit your stash available! WhooHoo!

Knit on good women! :knitting::knitting::knitting:

sakura-panda
01-15-2009, 10:37 AM
sakura-panda, the blanket is really special! So i think you should frog faster and show us the pretty result:cheering: What is the yarn for the scarf?

I took a picture of the pinwheel and then frogged it last night, only to realize that is the color I chose for Log 2, not Log 1. :) At least it's done!

I have some Bernat Soy yarn (http://www.ravelry.com/people/sakura-panda/stash/soy-natural-blends)that I bought on clearance last spring and I think that is what I'm going to use when I revisit that blanket.

I am using Dream in Color (Classy) yarn (http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com/pages/yarns.html)for the scarf I'm currently knitting. I read about it in the Knitter's Review newsletter and then happened to see it in the LYS. The dark blue was exactly the color I was looking for, so I bought it!

I looked at the review again afterwards and found she had reviewed the sock yarn (Smooshy), not the worsted weight I had bought, but I still love the yarn and the color! :inlove:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/3180622961_71d88993eb.jpg

(I apologize for the bad photo -- you can see the colors but the stitches are not very well defined. There isn't anything that resembles "natural sunlight" in Michigan in mid-January :roflhard: and I was too lazy to dig out something that can take good close up pictures. I was photographing my stash that night and decided at the last minute to do the scarf too.)

ArtLady1981
01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Hi Katie! It looks just wonderful! LOVE the yarn, too! :woot:

honeybunmom
01-15-2009, 02:22 PM
I've knit a few things this month with stash yarn:

2 pairs of longies for the new baby

Baby Jane booties for a baby shower

and a Seaman's Cap for my dad - which my 3 year old dd who swears everything I knit itches her, has claimed for her own. So, I think I see busting through another skein of Valley Yarn Stockbridge to knit her one that is a much better fit!

I did buy a little, too. Dh gave me a gift certificate for Christmas and was about $11.00 over. Going to knit Blu for the boy in Malabrigo and a raglan in Sirdar Baby Bamboo.

Next up is another pair of longies and possibly casting on for a pair of Peace Fleece socks for dh. It's 10 below today with a windchill of 30 below and he said his feet are cold.

Continued great stashbusting to everyone!

KnittingNat
01-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Honeybunmom - sounds like you're on the right stashbusting track (unlike me:teehee:).

Katie - the scarf looks beautiful from what i see!

outdoordrea
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
My resolution this year is to not buy any more yarn until I use up what's in my stash. I realize that it's still the first month of the year, but I've kept my promise to myself.

ArtLady1981
01-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Yup, I'm good-to-go! My goal is NO YARN PURCHASES til 2010!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
NO yarn purchases???

sounds like you just need to put what yarn you want on wish lists for birthdays and christmas :)

I'm not buying more yarn, however, my dh is going to stop in saratoga and get me a couple skeins of yarn that i'd told him about months ago. Right now I'm going through my yarn and picking out the arcryllics I'll never use (simply because i don't like working with these ones) and giving them to a friend that does project linus blankets.

Firey Vixxen
01-16-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm trying to use twice as much stash yarn as new yarn, and so far reality is helping me keep to this goal. I need some dark green soonish to finish a project (and I've been good and worked out what other projects on my todo list need dark green so I can buy in one go and not have any orphans left over), but so far haven't been able to get to the LYS (And they've moved even closer to where I live, oh the temptation).
I haven't even had the dog to walk down there as she's been on holiday's at the beach!
Oh well, Maybe I can count the 2 used skeins for the log cabin blanket, even though that's not a FO yet.
And yay for an organised stash. I've found some yarn that is the right colour so now I also have less to buy.
Hmm, Buying less and Using stash... maybe I should count these skeins twice when they're used up ;)
FV

sakura-panda
01-16-2009, 10:59 AM
My goals are small, but so is my stash. :lol:

I want to fit all my yarn into the bottom of this box:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3356/3181456348_7c499abb30.jpg?v=0

I want to put all my needles and accesories in the top:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/3180620027_83a86fb67a.jpg?v=0

The first time I filled it, I didn't pack the yarn too tight because I remembered that you aren't supposed to wind tight balls. :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3512/3180619829_de097837e4.jpg?v=0

Since then I have taken everything out -- to photograph and stash on Ravelry -- and I squished them in tighter because I was reminded earlier in this thread that it is okay to squish yarn. :) So the grey yarn in pictured in the top tray is now stored in the bottom.

I still have other yarn to fit in there -- except for the yellow and pink balls shown in the top tray, I haven't been putting any of my "new" yarn in there -- but I'm well on my way to fitting it all, plus I have room for my needles in the top now! (They aren't there yet since I'm still working out of two boxes, but I'm getting closer to my goal.)

If you can see the green, peach, tan and grey yarn, those are what I'm putting into my Log Cabin. :knitting: I'm not sure about the grey, but I think it will be interesting to try.

ArtLady1981
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi Lil Mom! :waving: Well, that's my goal. No yarn. I have so much stash in 'yarn jail' I could knit til death do us part...and there'd still be a car load of yarn for my kids to huck into the Goodwill bin! :teehee:

MAmaDawn
01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Or they could send it to me... Ill give it a very good home...

I finished the first mitten for my dd... going to cast on the second one today and I'm hoping to get about 1/2 done with the border of other dd's pi shawl border.

I'm working on a pair of socks for me and I was worried that they were too big but I put them on some crochet thread and tired them on and they are perfect... yea! so :knitting:knit on for me... I do like the way they are coming out, it's a self striping yarn.

Even one is making good progress, it's fun doing this together :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh crap. I had to BUY some bulky-weight black wool for the border on my Jamaica Log Cabin. :wall:

Only black will set-off the riot of colors.

I only have a tenth of a skein in black in my stash.
Not enough; not the right weight.

So much for goals....:eyes:

Well, on the bright side...I didn't buy yarn for a project in the first place...
only to finish a stash project in the second place.

:teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, I used up a BOATLOAD of stash yarn for two log cabin blankets! WhooHoo!

This one used chunky/bulky stash yarn.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3213778818_5d3483f988.jpg?v=0
3" black border isn't completed but the yarn for the border had to be purchased and isn't here yet! :aww:

This one used worsted weight stash yarn, an all stash blanket!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3186024847_27fa14b4b8.jpg?v=0

Firey Vixxen
01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Ooops. I kinda maybe sorta bought some yarn.
Nine skeins worth.
But I've used Five in my Log cabin blanket. So when I finish that, not counting any of the other skeins I'll use in finishing it, It'll be only Thirteen more skeins to catch up with my goal.
:shifty: Gee, when I put it that way...:out: :hiding:
:whistle:
FV:X:

Firey Vixxen
01-20-2009, 06:41 PM
And Artlady, love your Brights Blanket! Especially the corner panels with the three colours. :notworthy: you are a genius.
:X: FV

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 10:46 PM
\
:shifty: Gee, when I put it that way...:out: :hiding:
:whistle:
FV:X:

;) Gotcha! :happydance:

sakura-panda
01-21-2009, 12:32 AM
I bought a skein of yarn yesterday :teehee: -- but just one! I've been wanting to try my hand at an infant hat and the baby yarn was on sale at Michael's this week.

Personally, I though I showed great restraint because I never buy less than two of anything, but I picked up one and only one. Baby hats are small, right? I would think one would be enough for a trial run. ;)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-21-2009, 12:54 AM
depending on the pattern you use, it should be enough for a fair few....

lelvsdgs
01-21-2009, 01:58 AM
I have to confess I have totally failed at this so far. I've been buying yarn like crazy.... I think in response to all the bad economic news I have the mindset that I'd better buy it now while I still have a job and some money... I work in the employment field and it's in my face everyday... I really must stop... sigh...

On the bright side, I've finally figured out knitting in the round and have been making hats using my stash as practice. So I guess it will even out some of the new stuff I've bought....

sakura-panda
01-21-2009, 10:24 AM
depending on the pattern you use, it should be enough for a fair few....

It's a pattern I picked up at church -- my church collects knitted hats and donates them to the local hospital and I decided to try infant hats first. I thought that would be a fun small travel project for someone who hasn't been bitten by the sock bug. ;)

ArtLady1981
01-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Good for you, Katie! :hug:

You've used up more yarn in 2009 than you've purchased!
That means your Stash is decreasing!

Most of our Stashies don't restrict themselves from buying any yarn for the entire year. But they do focus on using their pre-exisiting yarn to the best of their ability! You know...letting some of that Stash out on parole!

I am trying to restrict myself altogether. However, if I need a bit of yarn to finish a project and there IS NONE in my Stash that will work in any way, shape or form...then I will buy a little to finish the project. And I'll try to buy cheap, like from Elann.com or KnitPicks.com! They each have the best prices ever. :woohoo:

ArtLady1981
01-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Hey there lelvsdgs! :waving:

Don't beat yourself up! You prolly bought less than you woulda!

The main point is that we're Stash Conscious in 2009. We're trying to either buy less and/or use more from our pre-existing stash before buying more!

Like I said in an earlier post, my goal is to restrict myself from yarn purchases for the entire year, but I've already had to buy a bit of yarn to finish that Log Cabin Stashghan! Hey, the yarn sheriff ain't gonna come knockin' at my door! ;)

But I've used up a boatload of old old old stash this January for those two LOG CABINS! :happydance:

I saw another interesting Seamless Blanket pattern on Barbara Breitner's website this morning...and although her colors are 'planned out'...I think we could knit her blanket with Stash Yarn real easy!

Here it is. Designer: Barbara Breitner (link provided below):
http://knittingonthenet.com/graphic/babyafstripe2.jpg

And here is her link: http://knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafstripe.htm

Her copyright doesn't allow me to post her free pattern instructions.
However, she does provide the instructions free!

lelvsdgs
01-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey there lelvsdgs! :waving:

Don't beat yourself up! You prolly bought less than you woulda!

The main point is that we're Stash Conscious in 2009. We're trying to either buy less and/or use more from our pre-existing stash before buying more!

Like I said in an earlier post, my goal is to restrict myself from yarn purchases for the entire year, but I've already had to buy a bit of yarn to finish that Log Cabin Stashghan! Hey, the yarn sheriff ain't gonna come knockin' at my door! ;)

But I've used up a boatload of old old old stash this January for those two LOG CABINS! :happydance:

I saw another interesting Seamless Blanket pattern on Barbara Breitner's website this morning...and although her colors are 'planned out'...I think we could knit her blanket with Stash Yarn real easy!

Here it is. Designer: Barbara Breitner (link provided below):
http://knittingonthenet.com/graphic/babyafstripe2.jpg

And here is her link: http://knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafstripe.htm

Her copyright doesn't allow me to post her free pattern instructions.
However, she does provide the instructions free!
Thanks for that link! My brother and his wife are expecting and I've actually got yarn for something like this in my stash! I guess I just need to look for projects and start making stuff. :happydance:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-22-2009, 12:35 AM
It's a pattern I picked up at church -- my church collects knitted hats and donates them to the local hospital and I decided to try infant hats first. I thought that would be a fun small travel project for someone who hasn't been bitten by the sock bug. ;)

if you check out bev's country cottage, she has 2 hat patterns that use size 3 needles, one using a worsted weight (caron simply soft) and one using baby yarn.

sakura-panda
01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
if you check out bev's country cottage, she has 2 hat patterns that use size 3 needles, one using a worsted weight (caron simply soft) and one using baby yarn.

Oh, those hats are CUTE! (Baby Ribs Hat and Baby Seed Cap, right?) I'll have to try those too! (I wonder if I have any size 3 needles? :eyebrow: Needle purchases are an important part of stash busting, aren't they? :lol:)

ArtLady1981
01-22-2009, 02:35 PM
My Jamaican Log Cabin used 1,956 yards of STASH, and 260 yds of new yarn for the black border! WhooHoo! :woohoo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3317/3217563977_94ae7d8603.jpg?v=0

KnittingNat
01-23-2009, 03:54 AM
ArtLady, me thinks your blankie is gorgeous:yay::yay::yay: You're definitely stashbusting guru :teehee:

Marria
01-23-2009, 04:51 AM
@Katie--if you're buying the yarn for a charity project, it doesn't even count! :hug:

I must admit, I bought some too. But I really just couldn't resist this deal:

http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Needful+Yarns+Color+Baby+Full +Bag+Sale&Cat=NEW&ProductType=5&Count=3

(They are out of the color I picked).

But, I do have a plan for it-a friend and I are going to crochet a sweater together (this will be my first crocheted sweater) (http://www.interweavecrochet.com/issue/2008/materials_fall08.asp#prettylittle).

And I have been steaming along on my other goal-to get all my WIPS finished up. I only have one old one left.

sakura-panda
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
My Jamaican Log Cabin used 1,956 yards of STASH, and 260 yds of new yarn for the black border! WhooHoo! :woohoo:

I was wondering what your old : new ratio was and I figured that even with leftover black yarn, you'd be ahead -- I just didn't realize by how much!

Wow! That is a fantastic stash-busting accomplishment! :yay:

sakura-panda
01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
@Katie--if you're buying the yarn for a charity project, it doesn't even count! :hug:

Thanks -- I'm being selfish, though, because I just want an easy Carry with Me Project that doesn't end up with homeless FOs. :teehee:

That is so cool that you are doing a "CAL" with your friend! That is deifnitely yarn well-purchased and should not count against stash busting. :happydance:

traceleighj
01-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Does it count if you buy yarn with gift money? I want to spend my christmas money on line shopping.....

I did destash 3 skeins of random stuff today. My bosses 6yo daughter came over to learn to knit so I gave her some practice yarn. :woot: That counts!!!

I was bad and bought 3 hanks of Cascade 220 for a project that my friend asked me to knit. I did a norwegian star ear flap hat and now am going to make mittens to match. I do think it is pretty good...I got the yarn last Sunday and the hat is already done. And my friend is paying for the yarn.

All in all, a very productive week for me!

ArtLady1981
01-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Yarn bought with GIFT MONEY is the same as GIFT YARN!

FREE! :cheering:

KnittingNat
01-24-2009, 07:26 AM
I managed some little stashbusting this past week. I had a sidetrip to the sock land, because my projects are really slow going and i needed something fast and gratifying. So i listened to my hubby asking for more Lopi socks and knitted him another pair. This time i knitted them without a pattern, adding really simple colorwork patterns from The Knitting Stitch Bible by Maria Parry Jones. On the photo you can't see the blue pattern. The yarn is Lite Lopi by Reynolds,needles - 4.5mm DPN's. I used almost 2 skeins of Lopi and a few yards of the colorwork yarn - some blue Lopi and red Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran.

Karina
01-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Natalia - your socks looks great and oh so comfy and warm. Never heard of that yarn before, will have to look it up on Ravelry.

Marria
01-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh those Lopi socks looks so cozy! I wish I could wear Lopi but it itches me so badly. Fantastic job. I think your hubby owes you a back rub and/or more yarn.

ArtLady1981
01-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Wonderful work on the socks! You really are the Sock Queen, knitting up a pair without a pattern! And so quickly! :happydance:

KnitTogether
01-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Last Christmas I gave away all but about one small plastic bin of my stash yarn to a woman's drug and alcohol rehab center. They like to knit, crochet, and sew, and had needles but no yarn...

But then I felt so... so... 'stash-less'...:oo: I still have urges to stash that have to be addressed....:thud:

KnittingNat
01-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Natalia - your socks looks great and oh so comfy and warm. Never heard of that yarn before, will have to look it up on Ravelry.

Thank you! Lopi is Icelandic yarn distributed by Reynolds yarns. It's spun from Icelandic sheep roving, known for it's durability, warmth and being almost waterproof due to the rough and long fibers. It's great for Icelandic and FI sweaters, jackets etc. It's itchy, but wearing it on top of a shirt is great.

Oh those Lopi socks looks so cozy! I wish I could wear Lopi but it itches me so badly. Fantastic job. I think your hubby owes you a back rub and/or more yarn.
Thanks! It itches everyone, i think. Hubby wears these socks on top of cotton ones. We have no central heating, so knitted socks come in handy.

Wonderful work on the socks! You really are the Sock Queen, knitting up a pair without a pattern! And so quickly! :happydance:
Ah, you're making me blush, i'm far far away from being a sock queen:aww: The last pair i made hubby was based on this tutorial (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/socks-101-2) that apparently was removed by the author from her website. So i based these on the same number of stitches and did the rest of the math myself. And Lopi being worsted weight, it was a real quick knit that let me pass the waiting time at the dentist:teehee:.

Karina
01-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Natalia - I have Vogue knitting The ultimate Sock Book, my favorite part is that it has a chart for how many stitches you cast on, how many you use for heel stitches etc. then you use your own stitch pattern and away you go. have both for toe up and top down socks.

ArtLady1981
01-25-2009, 02:11 AM
Last Christmas I gave away all but about one small plastic bin of my stash yarn to a woman's drug and alcohol rehab center. They like to knit, crochet, and sew, and had needles but no yarn...

How selfless of you! :grphug: What a kind thing to do! :hug:

KnittingNat
01-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Natalia - I have Vogue knitting The ultimate Sock Book, my favorite part is that it has a chart for how many stitches you cast on, how many you use for heel stitches etc. then you use your own stitch pattern and away you go. have both for toe up and top down socks.
That sounds like a very useful book:thumbsup: Though there are so many sock patterns i want to knit i think it will take me a long time to get to designing them myself:teehee:

honeybunmom
01-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok, so, I knit one sock for dh. Gotta block it and have him try it on again before I determine the 2nd sock is worth the time! :wink:

I knit a pair of booties for the boy and will use the other half of the skein and a portion of a yet untouched stash yarn to knit a matching hat.

I finished the baby kimono from Mason-Dixon Knitting and have about an ounce left (still have to seam it, though). I'm thinking I can knit him a skully cap (a/k/a Marvin Gaye style hat) with the remainder and use up a bit more of my single skein of cashmere for the trim.

Today I cast on for a Spare Rib Shoaker using some natural dk BFL I've had in my stash for over a year, I think.

Then I plan to knit an EZ double knit blanket for February with some bulky BFL I got just for this purpose.

But, I will be buying new yarn soon. My bonus gets paid this week and I plan to spend a portion of it on yarn! I have to get my projects together so that I'm just buying for a particular project. I do want to buy some sheepsdown for the double knit blanket for the baby. The BFL one will be for dd who is a little over 3 years and sworn off the night time diaper. She NEEDS a piddle pad sooo badly. It's only been a week and this whole peeing in the bed thing has gotten very old, very fast. But, I don't want to impede her progress. She's got her heart and head in the right place! I hope her bladder isn't too far behind!

I really should buy some hardware for the doctor's bag I want to knit for my mom out of some stash peace fleece I have. It's a shade of pink I delusionally thought I'd actually wear with dd after knitting mommy and me sweaters (so not going to happen!) - but, it is close enough to our sorority colors and my mom is president of her grad chapter this year, so, I think the bag would be nice for her sorority events. She likes big bags and will surely travel a bit with her duties.

I can't see any pictures here at work, so, I'll have to log in at home to see what every one is up to and post some of my own. I could see the lopi socks, though. Lovely!

Marria
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM

But then I felt so... so... 'stash-less'...:oo: I still have urges to stash that have to be addressed....:thud:
:hug:
That's so selfless of you! The world can use more people like you.

cheekyprincess
01-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Well, I have been happily knitting away on dish cloths (8 so far) and mug rugs (& so far).

But I made the mistake of visiting Hobby Lobby and checking out the sale items. Well, I was a bad girl and ended up buying 3 more skiens of cotton and 5 more skiens of misc yarn. I do have specific projects in mind for the yarn purchased. But, dont like DH rubbing in that I am making the stash larger as opposed to smaller. :wall: :tap:

ArtLady1981
01-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the updates, Sisters! I love hearing about all of your organization and busy-ness! It is inspiring!!! :happydance:

:knitting::knitting::knitting:

KnittingNat
01-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Somebody give me a kick in the butt:hair: My WIP's are not moving! It's like they are cursed or something:shock: . Must.Finish.My.Celtic.Tote.This.Week! I have so much yarn calling for my queue and it seems i can't finish what i have...

Karina
01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
:poke: :poke: Natalia What normally happens in my house if nothing seems to be going my way, is that I start another project. I get all enthusiastic again and then go back to the other projects. Sometimes a project just needs a time out.

thecatsmother
01-27-2009, 09:41 AM
I've done another 5 hats for charity and a hat/scarf set for next christmas-I'll do mittens too if I can find a pattern that uses chunky yarn.I also made me a scarf/ear warmer set...I always seem to be knitting for other people so it was a nice change to be knitting for me-me-me.I have been staying away from the yarn shops so I haven't added to my stash....so how come it never seems to get any smaller...or is that the muliplying thing at night going on LOL

KnittingNat
01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
:poke: :poke: Natalia What normally happens in my house if nothing seems to be going my way, is that I start another project. I get all enthusiastic again and then go back to the other projects. Sometimes a project just needs a time out.
I don't want to give the damn thing a timeout! I just want to finish it:hair:

KnittingNat
01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
I've done another 5 hats for charity and a hat/scarf set for next christmas-I'll do mittens too if I can find a pattern that uses chunky yarn.I also made me a scarf/ear warmer set...I always seem to be knitting for other people so it was a nice change to be knitting for me-me-me.I have been staying away from the yarn shops so I haven't added to my stash....so how come it never seems to get any smaller...or is that the muliplying thing at night going on LOL

These mittens (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/plaid-mittens) are great and for chunky yarn!

Firey Vixxen
01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Nat, sometimes you just have to be firm and say "Bad WIP, go to the corner." :roflhard: you have a couple of over projects on the go, why not rotate until the celtic tote is whimpering and begging to be good.
I have gotten a couple of other projects finished :woot: one is yet another cupcake, which used stash yarn, but didn't finish any of the skeins :cry: and the other is a sushi roll which encouraged my splurge, but did finish off a skein. :shifty: yeah, not quite equal value.
I also went to my LYS (lincraft) yesterday, and though I abstained from buying any yarn, I noticed that they are restocking for winter. :woot: :woot: :woot: so i went "you're on my shopping list, and you're on my shopping list, and you are so on my shopping list, maybe, no! Must. Be. Strong. But it's only one skein. Must. Be. Strong. It's lonely. Must! Be! Strong!" I'm certain they thought I was mad.
My theory is by leaving that one oh so lovely silk/merino/bamboo blend behind is that a LYS is a more conjusive environment for breeding lots of pedigree little skeinlings.
Which I can then buy.
Which I can Then roll around in. :roflhard:
FV

Marria
01-28-2009, 01:36 AM

Yep, I think this is the ideal solution. I've got a neckwarmer blocking right now that I made last weekend because I needed a break from my bigger projects. (I just need to get some buttons for it.)

Is your bag the one from Interweave Knits that is slightly fulled? I want to see a piccy when you're done. If it's the same one, I have it in my queue on Ravelry.

KnittingNat
01-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Nat, sometimes you just have to be firm and say "Bad WIP, go to the corner." :roflhard: you have a couple of over projects on the go, why not rotate until the celtic tote is whimpering and begging to be good.
You're too funny:rofl::rofl::rofl: That's what i said yesterday to that tote and finished the knitting part and started the backstitch embroidery:cheering:

Yep, I think this is the ideal solution. I've got a neckwarmer blocking right now that I made last weekend because I needed a break from my bigger projects. (I just need to get some buttons for it.)

Is your bag the one from Interweave Knits that is slightly fulled? I want to see a piccy when you're done. If it's the same one, I have it in my queue on Ravelry.
I've had so many sidetrips with these projects that i just need to get it done:thumbsup: I made some progress yesterday. It's the tote from last winter IK, with the cables. I made some modifications, so when i'm finished, i'll definitely post it!

Thanks for the encouragement, girls!

sgtpam
01-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Well, I have been happily knitting away on dish cloths (8 so far) and mug rugs (& so far).
:

I give up.....what's a "mug rug":??

MAmaDawn
01-29-2009, 09:38 AM
I have started several new projects... I'm doing a KAL over at Rav for a Shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lumiruusu) and I LOVE the pattern, and I love lace weight! But then one of my kids JUMPED on the couch and BROKE MY NEEDLE! It's a tip for the Harmony set... took a lot to not blow my top since I've had to stop them from jump on the couch a lot lately.... So tomorrow I can order a new needle (these things only happen when I have to wait to get the new needle tip) but then I will have to wait for it to get here.

So I started a new shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/three-cornered-shawl-in-clover-pattern). And I have to tell you that casting on over 600 stitches NOT FUN.... I've only gotten to the first row cuz I keep having issues, knitting issues and issues that stop me from knitting (mainly 3 crazy monkey children... they have been bouncing off the walls)...

I had to frog back to the begining of the heel for my sock as it had holes... first time doing a short row and I didn't know to knit in the back... it's doing better now...

I also fell in love with this sweater (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-baby-cardigan)so I started it too.

All of these are using stas yarn though I'm not make much progress on them... I've also been spending a lot of time looking at patterns... I love looking at patterns.. I'm such a process knitter. I think I could have well over 20 WIP before I felt like it was too many... :teehee:

Oh and I started a Mobius (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mobius-scarf-shrug). I was going to use a lacy type pattern but wasn't happy with it... I think I may make one up, it needs to be garter stitch so that means I have to make a sample, I can usually kinda picture what it will look like with SS lace but not with GS...

And I learned how to knit using ML and 2 Circs.. guess I'm odd, I think they both are more fumble than dpns.... so as long as I have dpns that's the way I'll go...

I think that's it...

I love reading about and seing what everyone's doing...

luvmykid28
01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
OK so I've bee busting , too. It seems like I'm not really making any progress, but I am. I have been making baby stuff for a friend that is due in a couple of weeks. I made a baby genius burp, 2 pair of booties (different styles), and a hat. I made another baby hat, but it turned out so small, it gave it to DD for a toy. I also made DD a pair of fingerless gloves. I still have quite a bit of baby girl yarn left, but DH has told me to stop making baby stuff, as it is making me sad. (We lost our newborn son, in August.) I had hoped knitting for my friend would help to heal, but alas it made me sad at the same time. So I think I'll break from baby stuff for a while and come back to it.

Up next, a Huggable hedgehog for DH. We went to a LYS that is closing it's doors and DH saw a hedgehog on display and tried to buy it. The lady told him it wasn't for sale. I told him to have her pull the pattern and yarn and I would make him one. He has a soft spot for hedgehogs, as he had one as a pet once. Of course, now my daughter wants one too. I better get to work.

I'll post pics of my FO soon and keep you posted on the hedgehogs.

BTW, I bought about 25 skeins and hanks at the sore that was closing, but only spent $100 and I have projects for the yarn. I couldn't let the store close and miss out on the bargins. RIGHT???:yay: :yay: :yay:

KnittingNat
01-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I have started several new projects... I'm doing a KAL over at Rav for a Shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lumiruusu) and I LOVE the pattern, and I love lace weight! But then one of my kids JUMPED on the couch and BROKE MY NEEDLE! It's a tip for the Harmony set... took a lot to not blow my top since I've had to stop them from jump on the couch a lot lately.... So tomorrow I can order a new needle (these things only happen when I have to wait to get the new needle tip) but then I will have to wait for it to get here.

So I started a new shawl (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/three-cornered-shawl-in-clover-pattern). And I have to tell you that casting on over 600 stitches NOT FUN.... I've only gotten to the first row cuz I keep having issues, knitting issues and issues that stop me from knitting (mainly 3 crazy monkey children... they have been bouncing off the walls)...

I had to frog back to the begining of the heel for my sock as it had holes... first time doing a short row and I didn't know to knit in the back... it's doing better now...

I also fell in love with this sweater (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-baby-cardigan)so I started it too.

All of these are using stas yarn though I'm not make much progress on them... I've also been spending a lot of time looking at patterns... I love looking at patterns.. I'm such a process knitter. I think I could have well over 20 WIP before I felt like it was too many... :teehee:

Oh and I started a Mobius (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mobius-scarf-shrug). I was going to use a lacy type pattern but wasn't happy with it... I think I may make one up, it needs to be garter stitch so that means I have to make a sample, I can usually kinda picture what it will look like with SS lace but not with GS...

And I learned how to knit using ML and 2 Circs.. guess I'm odd, I think they both are more fumble than dpns.... so as long as I have dpns that's the way I'll go...

I think that's it...

I love reading about and seing what everyone's doing...

MAmaDawn - the patterns you're knitting are great! I especially loved the second shawl:cheering:

OK so I've bee busting , too. It seems like I'm not really making any progress, but I am. I have been making baby stuff for a friend that is due in a couple of weeks. I made a baby genius burp, 2 pair of booties (different styles), and a hat. I made another baby hat, but it turned out so small, it gave it to DD for a toy. I also made DD a pair of fingerless gloves. I still have quite a bit of baby girl yarn left, but DH has told me to stop making baby stuff, as it is making me sad. (We lost our newborn son, in August.) I had hoped knitting for my friend would help to heal, but alas it made me sad at the same time. So I think I'll break from baby stuff for a while and come back to it.

Up next, a Huggable hedgehog for DH. We went to a LYS that is closing it's doors and DH saw a hedgehog on display and tried to buy it. The lady told him it wasn't for sale. I told him to have her pull the pattern and yarn and I would make him one. He has a soft spot for hedgehogs, as he had one as a pet once. Of course, now my daughter wants one too. I better get to work.

I'll post pics of my FO soon and keep you posted on the hedgehogs.

BTW, I bought about 25 skeins and hanks at the sore that was closing, but only spent $100 and I have projects for the yarn. I couldn't let the store close and miss out on the bargins. RIGHT???:yay: :yay: :yay:

luvmykid28 - First of all, i want to say i'm sending you hugs and good thoughts:hug:. I can't imagine how hard it is and i'm sorry. Don't do anything that will hurt you more.

On the knitting side - 25 skeins for 100$?! That's a great deal :thumbsup: The hedgehog pattern is great, just be careful not to loose count of the short rows (talking from experience:teehee:) and they turn out lovely.

traceleighj
01-30-2009, 04:16 PM
So, I did make that purchase with my Christmas money and thought y'all might like some porn so here it goes...
Four Hanks of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn in Ice House:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3473/3234847117_b5d2e61485_m.jpg

And my new Namaste Knitting bag Malibu in Turquoise:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3402/3235695916_7178ea9be9_m.jpg

Here is also a picture of the Hat that I knit for someone's child:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3458/3235695702_20b3267e6e_m.jpg
This is the Norwegian Star Hat that I found from Rav.

ArtLady1981
01-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Wonderful work Tracie! And lucky you, such a beeeeauuutiful bag! WhooHooo! :happydance: Love the yarn, too, of course!!!!

traceleighj
01-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks Artlady! I knit that hat in 2 nights and found that I love :inlove: the pattern. The good thing is I have some stash yarn- Reynolds Sea Wool in brown and a dusty rose color that I think I will have to use for a hat for myself...so a little favor for my hairdresser turned into a stash busting project for me too. :woot:

luvmykid28
01-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Here are my most recent stash busting projects. The booties were fun and easy to make.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/3239439441_6933496bf0.jpg

luvmykid28
01-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Tracie,
I love the bag and the yarn. Those are such great colors. The hat is great, too.

ArtLady1981
01-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Ohhhhh luv! Those are absolutely ADORABLY BEAUTIFUL baby things! Just YUMMMMMMMY! :heart::heart::heart:

traceleighj
01-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Here are my most recent stash busting projects. The booties were fun and easy to make.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/3239439441_6933496bf0.jpg
Thanks! And your set here is so pretty! What bootie pattern is that???? I think my little neice might like some......

luvmykid28
01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks! And your set here is so pretty! What bootie pattern is that???? I think my little neice might like some......

Thank you. Here you go, they were fun to make.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/luvmykid28/saartjes-bootees

Marria
01-31-2009, 02:40 AM
I think I've found a perfect project for all those bits and pieces of yarn that are too small to make anything, but too big to throw away. I just came across this pattern on Ravelry and wanted to share it because I think it is so striking. It's in the same vein somewhat as a log cabin blanket. For those of you not on Ravelry, I am posting directly to her blog.

Parcheesi Afghan (http://feralknitter.typepad.com/feral_knitter/2008/04/parcheesi-afgha.html)

It's not 100% free. Instead, you make a donation of any size to Heifer International (http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.204586/k.9430/Gift_Catalog.htm?msource=kw1844&gclid=CMaF2Z2VuJgCFQZlswodryDsbA), an organization that helps people in poor nations not by just giving them food, but by giving them livestock and the means to raise them and farm their own food. Seems a worthy cause to contribute to, especially since it means a blanket in return.

Just wanted to share with everyone. Maybe there could be a KAL down the road some time. I was thinking late summer in preparation for the fall. What does everyone thing?

If you are on Ravelry, the blanket is here. (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/parcheesi-afghan)

ArtLady1981
01-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the link, Marria! :heart: I adore the Parcheesi Afghan.
The cost of the pattern must be on a voluntarty donation basis.
I just downloaded/saved a PDF pattern without cost.

KnittingNat
02-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Congratulate me! I finished my Celtic Tote knitting bag! I will post pictures on Saturday, when i'll have the camera from my dad. The lining was a major PITA! Anyway, i'm about 50% done on my Ivy League Vest and today i decided to take a stashbusting sidetrip and started the Jude Sweater by Kim Hargreaves in stash Rowan Biggy Print. I already had the back and half the front done in 2 hours! Don't hit me with a stick - i'm too tired to put links LOL. I'll put them with pictures of the FO's, i promise! :hug:

ArtLady1981
02-04-2009, 06:50 PM
:cheering::cheering::cheering: Way to go Nat!!!! Looking forward to pix & links! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Marria
02-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to see pix. :)

thecatsmother
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I love the parcheesi afghan Marria what a great way to use up all those wee bits of yarn.
luvmykids...those wee booties are gorgeous and I love the yarn you used..a very lucky baby.
Tracie...what a great knitting bag and you did lovely work on your hat-very nice

This place is dangerous-every time I come on,I come away with loads of new patterns to stuff in my binder and all kinds of notes about yarn I must buy....people I am trying to destash here must you make such beautiful things and fill my head with visions of knitting projects yet to come LOL

MAmaDawn
02-05-2009, 12:13 PM
That's great Nat... looking forward to seeing all your work. And I'll not throw my shoe at you, I'm not good about posting pics so I really can't say much.

thecatsmother, I have had the same thing happen, I fact since joining here I have MORE WIP's than before... and I've always been one to have a lot of them... but I am using stash yarn, just not getting a lot done... he he he. I really don't care though, to me it's all about the process and if I'm knitting then I'm happy.

TooCircular
02-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I have discovered a great way to at least make a dent in Ye Old Yarn Stash by making Pom Pom Pets with my granddaughter (age 8) from this kit:

http://www.americangirlpublishing.com/advice/doityourself/PompomPets.aspx

The animals turn out absolutely darling, and she's getting to the point where she can make a lot of them on her own. The illustrated in-color booklet is easy to follow, and the pom pom creatures you make are so darn cute. She LOVES to make them. The kit comes with 3 different sizes of pom pom makers, chenille stems, felt squares, pre-made tiny pom poms, seed beads and yarn. I can't say enough about it.
Here is a list of the animals: mouse, bunny, piglet, sheep, polar bear, squirrel, puppy, kitten, elephant, camel, monkey, poodle, ducks, chickens, skunk, cow, racoon and owl.

My only complaint is that it really doesn't come with enough yarn, but for those of us with a stash, it's God-sent!! Anyway, American Girl is the brand name, and it's called Pom Pom Pets.

:)
Jan

ArtLady1981
02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Ohhhh, soooo adorable! I'm gonna look into this!!!! :woohoo:

Thanks for the link! :thumbsup:

cheekyprincess
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
O,congrats on the finish. It sounds beautiful! would you mind sharing the pattern?
Angie

Congratulate me! I finished my Celtic Tote knitting bag! I will post pictures on Saturday, when i'll have the camera from my dad. The lining was a major PITA! Anyway, i'm about 50% done on my Ivy League Vest and today i decided to take a stashbusting sidetrip and started the Jude Sweater by Kim Hargreaves in stash Rowan Biggy Print. I already had the back and half the front done in 2 hours! Don't hit me with a stick - i'm too tired to put links LOL. I'll put them with pictures of the FO's, i promise! :hug:

KnittingNat
02-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Dollyce, I hope Blue is doing better! I hate dog fights, i always feel so helpless. We've experienced a similar thing with our Tyra - didn't notice she had a nasty bite on her leg until the next day - the poor girl was trying to be a hero and with her thick fur it's really hard to see:teehee:I'll even put a cute picture of her!

As I promised, here are my stash FO's!

Celtic Tote (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/celtic-tote-2) by Jennifer Tallapaneni from IK Winter 2007. It turned out really great, but it was such a PITA - the knitting part is just great, but the embroidery for the cables - never again :shock:! Then, not trusting the magazine's picture, i've decided to add lining. As i mean to use this tote as knitting bag, i decided that i must do one. Well, it's my worst piece of sewing ever (i'm not that good at it any way, but that was a new record). I hand-sewed the damned thing to the tote. I also added a very ugly pocket inside, but nobody can see it and it's great:teehee:. It turned out quite big, because i knitted on bigger needles than required.
Yarn: Knit Picks WOTA (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/knit-picks-wool-of-the-andes) in Fern and Evergreen.
Needles: 6.5mm.

Being absolutely exhausted by the finishing stages of the tote, i've decided to take a stashbusting sidetrip to the Bulky Land.
Pattern: Jude (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jude) by Kim Hargreaves from Rowan's Bigger Picture.
Yarn: Rowan Biggy Print (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/rowan-biggy-print) in Chuckle.
Needles: 20mm.

I didn't have enough yarn for a whole sweater, so i did 2/3 sleeves. I started them from the top, reversing the shaping of the sleeve cap.I also changed the turtleneck collar and left it open, like some sort of shawl collar.

And a WIP:
Pattern: Ivy League Vest (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ivy-league-vest) by Eunny Jang from IK Winter 2007.
Yarn: Stash! Rowan Yorkshire Tweed 4-ply (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/rowan-yorkshire-tweed-4-ply).
Needles: 3.75mm.

Hope you like them.

Attached Thumbnails:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51844&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234029811 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51844&d=1234029811) http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51845&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234029811 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51845&d=1234029811) http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51847&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234030160 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51847&d=1234030160) http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51848&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234030160 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51848&d=1234030160)

TooCircular
02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I've never done a lining before, but I need to do three of them. Found these tuts for linings that I thought were pretty good:

http://laughingpurplegoldfish.blogspot.com/2008/08/simple-lining-tutorial.html

http://www.nonipatterns.com/rectangular.php

I love your celtic tote.

Jan

Marria
02-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Nat, you are an amazingly talented knitter. Beautiful work! :notworthy:

ArtLady1981
02-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Ohhhhhh Nat!!! You have been busy busy busy! What a great bunch of stash-bustin' projects! I especially drool over that Celtic Tote!

Thanks for all the great photos! :cheering: I just loves photo ops!!!

Marria
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I had one skein of Plymouth Outback wool in my stash which was asking me to make it into a scarf. I didn't use the whole skein, but I did use quite a bit of it. The scarf is knit on the bias. Here are some blocking photos.

This one shows the bias really well at the end.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/RPoLDMitrix/diagonalshrunk.jpg

This one sort of shows the nifty zig-zag effect that the variegation produced with this pattern.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/RPoLDMitrix/zigzagviewshrunk.jpg

I've got a couple more stash-busting projects I'll be posting soon, as soon as I get buttons sewn on. :)

KnittingNat
02-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Marria, this scarf looks really good! I never knitted anything on the bias, it does make a simple thing like a scarf look very special and the yarn matches the pattern perfectly - you quite the eye for matching:thumbsup:

Marria
02-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks Nat! I started out doing a lace pattern with this yarn, but it was just overwhelmed by the color. I also didn't want to do a boring regular stockinette scarf. So I found this one on Ravelry and it turned out to be just right for my purposes. And it was good TV knitting because it was such a simple pattern.

If you're interested in trying it out, it's the second one here:

http://saneknitting.blogspot.com/2008/09/blue-scarves.html

Firey Vixxen
02-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Yay for Nat and Marria! Love, Love, Love the celtic tote, and If i wasn't so sick of scarves, the bias scarf would definately be on my list. I can never seem to get my Varigated yarn to make nice patterns though. Meh.
I've started a couple of new stashie projects. One lot is 3 of the Owl by Jean Greenhowe for my friends who are graduating this year. I'm thinging I'll stuff them with different herbs so they smell nice too. Yarn bought for this project-0 Skeins! Thats right, 6 colours, all Stash! :woot:
Another is the Cut your Teeth socks on Knitty. Again, only stash is being used (or rather planned to be used, I'm still swatching), but I'm finding the lack of sizing annoying. I tried calculating the size using the gauge and number of stitches, but I came up with the largest size would fit, and I have small feet so that seems a little suss.
Anyone else tried this pattern so I can get a rough Idea on who the sizes fit?
FV

ArtLady1981
02-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Marria~ You are an amazing knitter! That is a great combination of yarn and pattern!

:cheering:

luvmykid28
02-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Nat and Maria great job. I love all your projects. :woohoo: :woohoo:

traceleighj
02-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Nat and Maria great job. I love all your projects. :woohoo: :woohoo:

I second!!! :notworthy:

ArtLady1981
02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: to both of you!!!!

ArtLady1981
02-10-2009, 02:31 PM
PS: It is Feb 10th...and I have purchased NO YARN yet, with the exception of two skeins to finish a December project. That doesn't count. I held off buying those two extras til I knew if I needed 'em or not. I didn't think I would, but I did!

I made my BABETTE a bit longer by making the swingaway button bands a bit wider. The sweater really sucked up the skeins!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/3175030398_509a17fef5.jpg?v=0

luvmykid28
02-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Great looking sweater. Way to go on not purchasing any yarn.

sakura-panda
02-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Artlady -- that sweater is beautiful! But didn't you buy yarn for the border for that gorgeous bright colored stashghan? :teehee:

I spent a couple of nights working on DS's scarf and I think I'm 75% of the way finished -- he may get a chance to wear it before this winter is over! :lol: (MAYBE. :teehee:)

ArtLady1981
02-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Artlady -- that sweater is beautiful! But didn't you buy yarn for the border for that gorgeous bright colored stashghan? :teehee:

I spent a couple of nights working on DS's scarf and I think I'm 75% of the way finished -- he may get a chance to wear it before this winter is over! :lol: (MAYBE. :teehee:)

Oops. :aww: You are so right!

My goal for 2009 is no new yarn for new projects!
Yarn purchased to finish a stash project is unavoidable, eh? :wink:

KnittingNat
02-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Dollyce, the sweater turned out great! My favorite color:inlove:

traceleighj
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I LOVE your sweater :inlove: it's so pretty!

I have not been a good girl. I signed up for a class- I am going to make a Norwegian sweater! I am very excited. The yarn is very expensive, but by the middle of summer, I will have a new sweater for me to wear this fall. The downside? I have to share with DH....bummer.

Other than that, I have been really good. I started a Clapotis out of the sock yarn I bought. If I play my cards right, I will only use 2 hanks and have 2 left for a pair of socks. :woohoo:
I think I am going to follow a friends lead. She matched her sock yarn to a pattern, bagged them up and she has her own Sock of the Month Club. What a great idea...now, if I could just finish the elusive second sock!

MAmaDawn
02-14-2009, 12:45 AM
When I joined I asked about organizing yarn and Artlady's link helped give me an idea. After thinking about what I wanted I decided that I wanted to get it up off the floor. And that's what made me about putting shelves in the closet, even though I was thinking that I'd like to figure out a way to hang it. Then the look of the containers made me think about the sweater holders. The ones with shelves and that zip the front. I have all my WIP's in a shoe container. I'm going to put an index card on each holder telling me what's in each one. Here's some pictures.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/MamaDawn/DSCF2109.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/MamaDawn/DSCF2110.jpg

That's the yarn when I was getting it orginized.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/MamaDawn/DSCF2111.jpg

That's the sweater storage after I hung it up.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/MamaDawn/DSCF2112.jpg

That's where I have my WIP, it's not labeled with the index cards yet.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e379/MamaDawn/DSCF2182.jpg

Here is the yarn that I got organized today.

I got pictures of all that yarn too for my stash on rav... I'm getting there

KnittingNat
02-14-2009, 06:36 AM
MamaDawn - way to go on the organizing:thumbsup: I bet you've discovered some yarn you completely forgot about. I think it feels like buying new one:teehee:

ArtLady1981
02-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Way to go! I am super super impressed and in awe of your new yarn organization! And thanks soooo much for including photos!
"...a picture is worth a thousand words...."

Those zippered sweater bags are really roomy! Cool!

They say that keeping your yarn enclosed will prevent dust from settling, and keep bugs from setting up house in your yarn.
Most important for yarn that isn't going to be knit up right away.

Anyhoo! THANKS! :yay:

honeybunmom
02-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Ooh! That Celtic tote is lovely! Can't wait to get home to be able to see all of the other pics!

Ok, as for my knitting . . . I've knit another pair of longies, the Sweet Mama Small Sugar kimono (need to knit matching pants), and some play food (broccoli, lettuce, a clementine and some apples - next in que, per dd's order, are corn on the cob, carrots, more clementines and celery). The latter are so small, so, not using up much stash, but, using it nonetheless.

I should use up a little bit more stash with my EZ February double knit blanket. Using natural BFL for this and it is going to be quite squooshy, soft and light. I wish I were small enough to use it (not wishing for a bigger one as that would require me knitting a bigger one!).

I also plan to knit the Sartje booties with some cashmere I received in an MBOY some time ago.

Oh, and I've bought yarn and am currently comtemplating a purchase. Must.not.buy.more.yarn!

MAmaDawn
02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Thank you all...

I'm not usually very organized AT ALL! But this I really enjoyed, a LOT! Too bad and can't get paid to organize yarn. :teehee:

I'd love to see the food you are making....

ArtLady1981
02-17-2009, 09:13 PM
True Confessions of a Yarn Addict:

Whilst at the grocery store yesterday, Fred Meyer, I bought 3 skeins of Red Heart to finish my DGS's seamless afghan next month. First, the skeins were on sale...second...if you bought 2, the third was free. I got the 3 skeins for $5. 2-camouflage, 1 brown.

Does that count against my GOAL? I don't think so. I just don't have enough worsted weight WASHABLE stash for his blanket.
Will use all the stash skeins, and these 3, too!

I am anxious to get SYLVI done this month so I can start on Caleb's seamless blanket. Then I can give his sister the LOG CABIN I made with the knitalong in January! Gotta give them both a blankie at the same time!

Stashghan for Celeste, made in January, with the KH-KAL.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3186024847_27fa14b4b8.jpg?v=0

Below is a feature photo of the seamless blanket I'll make for Caleb next month. Pattern by Barbara Breitner, and this blanket was knit
by B. Breitner. Mine won't be so uniform. Mine will be stashier.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3344/3217743686_0ce07cf913.jpg

lelvsdgs
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
I am proud to say that despite some crazy "better buy it while I have money" yarn buying, I am using some of my stash to make fingerless gloves for to young girls as just because gifts.

Has anyone else found themselves buying yarn in a slightly panicked mode??? I think mine is from all the bad news. Seems to have triggered my hoarding gene. I figured it out and have slowed down. :oops:

sakura-panda
02-18-2009, 08:33 PM
I love the sweater bag idea! :happydance: It looks great!

I bought a skein of yarn for the pet oddball blanket that I am working on, but it uses two strands of yarn and the other yarn I am using is from my stash. I'm sure I'll end up with more yarn left over than what I started with, but at least I'm changing the colors around. :lol:

No other stash progress (or backwards sliding ;)) to report.

I've just been diligently knitting my projects; DS's scarf is nearly done but I put it aside to work on the oddball. I started log 3 for my log cabin, but it's full of mistakes, so I'm thinking that I should rip it out now, while I haven't made much progress, rather than wishing later that I hadn't left it. (I'm about five or six rows in, and there are mistakes in the second row, the fourth row and in the fifth row. A fresh start seems like a good idea! :))

Marria
02-18-2009, 10:17 PM
I am proud to say that despite some crazy "better buy it while I have money" yarn buying, I am using some of my stash to make fingerless gloves for to young girls as just because gifts.

Has anyone else found themselves buying yarn in a slightly panicked mode??? I think mine is from all the bad news. Seems to have triggered my hoarding gene. I figured it out and have slowed down. :oops:

Yes! I have to force myself NOT to go to elann.com or Webs. Because it's just too dangerous. I haven enough yarn. Er...yeah...

Xyza
02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I did inventory today to see how much yarn I really had.

Time for some numbers, I have: 148 full skeins of yarn, 32 partial skeins and 5 projects on the go. I have enough yarn to make 32 pairs of socks, 3 afghans, a sweater and ALOT of scarfs, mittens, hats and other small items.

As I'm typing that out, I'm thinking to myself 'That's not really that much'... (ha, is that a sign of a problem?). It's definitely enough to keep me busy for a year. So this year, I'm not going to buy any more yarn.

ArtLady1981
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
~XYZA!

Wow! Now add up the total number of yards! That's another eye-opener! :wink:

Xyza
02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Oh my!

30,000 yards of yarn!!!

Firey Vixxen
02-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Yay! I'm a good friend and a good destasher! A friend of mine came over yesterday, and we watched movies while I knitted. Then she commented that she use to know how to knit but had forgotten.
She now has 9 skeins from my stash and a pair of needle, as well as knowing the knitted cast on and Knit Stitch.
So I'm getting back to my destashing goal slowly (But it'd go alot better if Spotlight stopped sending me vouchers). ;)
I'm also trying to sort my current projects ready to go back to uni, and to get the ends weaved in on the ferret scarf so I can get that ready to gift. Hopefully having more controlled projects (and less storage room) will result in more FO and less stash. :woot:

MAmaDawn
02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh my!

30,000 yards of yarn!!!

I don't think I want to add up how much mine is.... :hiding::passedout:

Yay! I'm a good friend and a good destasher! A friend of mine came over yesterday, and we watched movies while I knitted. Then she commented that she use to know how to knit but had forgotten.
She now has 9 skeins from my stash and a pair of needle, as well as knowing the knitted cast on and Knit Stitch.
So I'm getting back to my destashing goal slowly (But it'd go alot better if Spotlight stopped sending me vouchers). ;)
I'm also trying to sort my current projects ready to go back to uni, and to get the ends weaved in on the ferret scarf so I can get that ready to gift. Hopefully having more controlled projects (and less storage room) will result in more FO and less stash. :woot:

When you say uni, do you mean just ONE WIP? I have always wondered how knitters do that...

Firey Vixxen
02-21-2009, 12:59 AM
No, I mean Uni as in University. Although my mother also seams to be suffering from the delution of "One Project".
This actually happens? :?? But how? I cannot understand how this freakish behaviour can exist in a world of beautiful yarns and patterns. It cannot be Normal.
:shrug: Normal is over-rated anyway.
;) :X: FV

sakura-panda
02-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I finally finished DS's scarf! :yay: It just needs the ends weaved in (I didn't have my crochet hook in the car with me) and washed/blocked. I'll post a picture next week. I'm just tickled that I actually *finished* something. :teehee:

Now to think of the next project! :) Next up is either baby hats or a pinwheel afghan, using one of the next two "newest" yarns in my stash. :eyebrow:

KnittingNat
02-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Everyone are doing great:cheering:!

I'm trying to finish my Ivy League Vest, got only one steek to cut and add the rib. I also started a Drops pattern shoulder warmer, from stash KP WOTA. Hope to post pictures soon:woohoo:

ArtLady1981
02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I can hardly wait to see your Ivy League! :happydance:

MAmaDawn
02-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I almost done with the toddler sweater (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-baby-cardigan) I'm making for Jeremiah.... I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the sleeves, I'm not going to have enough yarn.... I'll post a pic and see what you all think.

ArtLady1981
02-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Aw, MamaDawn, that little cardigan is so cute! I sure did save the PDF file! Thanks for the link! When a pattern is plain and simple, it's easy to embellish it, or stripe it, or whatever! Thanks a bunch!

Firey Vixxen
02-26-2009, 04:10 AM
I almost done with the toddler sweater (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/easy-baby-cardigan) I'm making for Jeremiah.... I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the sleeves, I'm not going to have enough yarn.... I'll post a pic and see what you all think.

Yummy Baby Hoodie, it makes me wish I had a little person to knit for. Although my Mum's Godson is still a littley...
Thanks for the link;)

sakura-panda
03-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I finished something! :noway: :eyebrow: :teehee:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/3320838728_dcab52076d.jpg?v=0

A scarf for my oldest DS using Dream In Color (http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com/) Classy (http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com/pages/yarns.html) (a superwash wool, worsted weight), in Midnight Derby (http://www.dreamincoloryarn.com/pages/colorpages/480.html).

I did not use all of my yarn, but I also do not have enough left to make another scarf of the same size. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with the remnant; I'm just happy that I started a project and then actually finished it! :eyes:

On to the next one! :thumbsup:

knitbeginner
03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
what does Stash mean ? Let me know please thanks
knitbeginner

ArtLady1981
03-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Stash is yarn that you've 'stashed' or collected!

MAmaDawn
03-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I love that color! Nice job!

luvmykid28
03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Very Nice!!! Congrats on finishing.

KnittingNat
03-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Katie, that's a beautiful color:inlove: Looks great :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Ok, I'm blocking my Ivy League (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ivy-league-vest) and i'm seriously considering to post the "before" and "after" pictures in the General Knitting forum to explain why blocking is so important, especially in Fair Isle. I only hope i'll have something worthwhile to photo in the "after" part :pray:. On to frogging on my Drops Shoulder Warmer (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/0-405-shoulder-warmer-in-karisma-and-vivaldi). Something is mixed up there in the charts and i need to frog back to the start of the chart and start them all over. I really hope the result will look like the picture, we have a wedding to attend next Wednesday and i think i want to wear that on top of a tight black top.

luvmykid28
03-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Nat those are both cute patterns. I hope you can get the shoulder warmer finished in time.

JuliannaHeiby
03-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Being that it's now March, I guess I'm a little late for the 2009 resolution train of thinking. And I have certainly bought quite a bit of yarn since Jan 1!

Nonetheless, as a new knitter, I've been enthusiastically stocking up on all sorts of projects and ideas, promising myself that I'll finish the started stuff soon. It's getting pricey and confusing.

So, I'm hoping I can still jump in and work through a few projects before investing in others. I'll type my list of pending projects, and update my signature to show the progress as I go. Listed here in the order of projected completion:

1. Blu Jeans for my husband's childhood friend and her newborn, Jonah. They are coming way cuter than I ever imagined!
2. Teddy Bear and Cable sweater from Debbie Bliss- this is my daughter's Easter outfit, so I gotta get cracking!
3. I started a tote/diaper bag in June (back when all I could do was knit and purl, and it turns out that even then I was doing it wrong!).
4. A yet-unspecified gift for my mother for Mother's Day. This will be my one exception to the no-buying rule. She has been a tremendous help to me this past year, and deserves something really lovely.
5. A cabled, hooded baby jacket that I lost steam with after completing about 40%.
6. Odd-ball pipe-dreamy cardiganish thing. Stay tuned.
7. Juliette's Robin Hood coat- hopefully in time for the first moment I feel a clip of chill in the air- which in my paranoid mama state will be the end of August.
8. Finally start and finish the motif-crochet afghan that I shopped for and planned in June. I was just starting to show, was still working full-time. My friend had just lost her baby, and I was a nervous wreck. I wandered Walmart and decided that the only way to soothe the "I will be the worst mother ever" feelings was to buy enough crappy acrylic yarn to make a blanket big enough to cover our king-sized bed (Red Heart, no less. What the hell did I know?).
9. On second thought, there's no reason why I need that kind of bad vibes in my house! I'm returning it to Walmart and taking the money to buy the yarn I really want. I hate the pattern, hate the thought of working on that project, and hate the emotions I've attached to it. So there. Thrifty, emotionally-cleansing instant de-stashing. Walmart takes EVERYTHING back, as long as they're still selling it.:woohoo:
10. An afghan from the stash my grandma just pawned off on me. I have some ideas, but they'll surely change by the time I get this far down the list (See, I couldn't even WRITE the list without changing my mind half-way through!?)

I think, if I make it this far down without buying new stuff, I'll have earned some new yarn (and made space for it, too!)

I'll let you know how the progress goes on this!

Firey Vixxen
03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Hey Juliana, Welcome to the Stashtrain. We'll be taking passngers until about Late November/Early December, when I imagine the 2010 stashtrain will start chugging along. ;)
and don't worry about changing your mind on project orders and ideas. I do it all the time... :think: Maybe this is why I have so many UFO's? :p

luvmykid28
03-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I decide to make the Bowl of Spaghetti Hat. I'm calling it "The bowl of spaghetti that stayed in the frig too long" hat. I am using 2 skeins of Sensations Angel Hair in a light green. I saw the designer on Knitty Gritty when I 1st dicovered the show a few months ago and knew I had to make it. I decided to join a KAL on Rav in the HAts Hats Hats group called March Madness where we make crazy hats. I'll post pictures as I progress.:knitting: :knitting: :knitting:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bowl-of-spaghetti

ArtLady1981
03-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Happy to have you, Julianna! :waving: One good step in the right direction: you've organized your projects on paper! (1-8)
That is always the FIRST step!

You won't regret taking back the Red Heart. Besides, acrylic isn't warm. It doesn't return body heat to the sender like wool does. The baby needs a blankie that will capture his body heat and cuddle him in it!

Hey there Luv! :waving: Thanks for the link to the Spaghetti Hat!
How cute! Can hardly wait to see yours!!!

Hello to all! :waving: I'm on the border of my DGS's seamless stashghan! I did east and west borders yesterday, and picked up for the north border last night. I can hardly wait to be done with it!

knittynewbie
03-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I am a newbie and I love buying yarn- I am only working with fuzzy soft yarns like Sensations "angel hair" and sensations "beautiful" from Joanne's. I have only made a few scarves and a wrap, but I have been eager to make an afghan. I figured out my size 11 circular needles and casted on 200 stitches with double wrapped yarn (for a thicker afghan) I am switching patterns every color change, and will definitely need more yarn. This is clearly a project without an end and I am very excited to be doing it.

ps what's an FO?

Thanks for the thread.

ArtLady1981
03-04-2009, 09:42 PM
I finally finished Caleb's seamless stashghan, and boy o boy, this will the the last stashghan or blanket of ANY KIND that I knit this year! This one is approx 42x56".

It used up 1,182 yds of stash! It is based upon a FREE patten by Barbara Breitner, Two Way Striped Blanket (http://knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafstripe.htm).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3329043711_e514c44b32.jpg?v=0

traceleighj
03-04-2009, 10:22 PM
OOOOHHHHHHH:inlove: That is so pretty Artlady!!!!

KnittingNat
03-05-2009, 01:35 AM
It's very pretty!!! You've got a real talent for matching colors:inlove: That's some pretty good stashbusting!

KnittingNat
03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I haven't posted any FO's recently because i was busy with this project. I think it's the most difficult project i knit so far. It has Fair Isle, steeks, shaping in different places in the same time and adjusting the chart to the different shapings. I'm pretty happy with it, except for the part that my gauge went a little off and i probable shouldn't have gone up with the needle sizes. It also makes you look on the photos like you have no bust at all:teehee:. So here we go:
Pattern: Ivy League Vest (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ivy-league-vest) by Eunny Jang from IK Winter 2007.
Needles: 3.75mm and 3.00mm.
Yarn: Rowan Yorkshire Tweed 4-ply (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/rowan-yorkshire-tweed-4-ply) in Lustre, Graze, Dessicated (white), Blessed, Highlander and Barley. The yarn is absolutely delightful, it blocks wonderfully and is great for FI, even with the tweedy flecks of colors.
It was a stash yarn (930 yards/850m of it!), but since i used barely a 25gr ball of some of the colors and 1.5 balls of some others, i still have plenty left for a full sized FI sweater (like Venezia (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/venezia-pullover)) and i think i'm going to make the Endpaper Mitts (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/endpaper-mitts) and the Selbu Modern (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/selbu-modern).

Attached Thumbnails:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52043&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1236278159 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52043&d=1236278159) http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52044&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1236278159 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52044&d=1236278159) http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52045&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1236278159 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52045&d=1236278159)

luvmykid28
03-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Looks fantastic KnittinNat. Congratulations on a job well done.

ArtLady1981
03-05-2009, 04:27 PM
WOW! :passedout:
That is one beeeeauutiful sweater! Way to go! :thumbsup:

JuliannaHeiby
03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Woo!

The instant de-stashing was a huge success! I got rid of over a hundred dollars of yarn! I used my store credit at WalMart to get a WiiFit (I wasn't going to buy more of their crappy yarn, right?) I left Michaels with less yarn than I went in with!

I've finished knitting the blu baby jeans and will be posting pics once I've finished the detailing. Can't wait!

Thanks for the support of my self-discipline. I guess that makes it a group discipline!:grphug:

knitbeginner
03-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Thank you . We have a lot of yarn that we have kept over the years ? I using it up right now .

KnittingNat
03-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Ok, I have another stashbusting project finished! It's a shoulder warmer/shrug by Drops design. I've used 3.5 skeins of KP WOTA worsted in Fairy Tale. I hope to cast on today for the Apres Surf Hoodie with specially bought yarn and then on to stashbusting socks and lace shawls:woot:

Pattern: 0-405 Drops Shoulder Warmer (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/0-405-shoulder-warmer-in-karisma-and-vivaldi).
Needles: 5.5mm and 6.00mm
Yarn: KP WOTA in Fairy Tale.

luvmykid28
03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Very Nice. You are awesome.