PDA

View Full Version : Subversive knitting on Stephen Colbert

Plantgoddess+
12-04-2008, 12:51 AM
I was just watching tonights episode of The Colbert Report on the comedy channel. He had a segment on a woman stopped at the Canadian border who was prevented from reentering the US. She was questioned about drawings she had. She practices subversive crochet and knitting projects. I found it very interesting and funny too.:teehee:

MerigoldinWA
12-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Hmmm, I wonder what the drawings were supposed to be of... what she was making?

sheldon
12-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Pretty sure she was working on this:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85674

I'll have to check out the episode on colbertnation.com. We don't get cable, but I love Colbert and Stewart.

reeny
12-04-2008, 11:48 AM
I saw that also. She was knitting and crocheting things that tend to be considered Masculine American symbols and making them all lacey and frilly, for example, SUV and gun cozies. I'll see if I can find a picture. Here is a link to an article and one of her works.
http://www.pressrepublican.com/0100_news/local_story_278220015.html

GinnyG
12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Love love LOVE The Daily show and the Colbert Report, consider them to b emy primary news source. Do you know what date it was? I must have missed it!!

GinnyG
12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I saw that also. She was knitting and crocheting things that tend to be considered Masculine American symbols and making them all lacey and frilly, for example, SUV and gun cozies. I'll see if I can find a picture. Here is a link to an article and one of her works.
http://www.pressrepublican.com/0100_news/local_story_278220015.html
hahahahaha, although I am not sure I consider a Hyundai Santa Fe a "oversize, macho gas guzzling vehicle":shrug: a Hummer or Expedition perhaps but a Hyundai???

LadyFirelyght
12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Love love LOVE The Daily show and the Colbert Report, consider them to b emy primary news source. Do you know what date it was? I must have missed it!!
It was last night, Wednesday, Dec 3. It was hilarious.

While I think that her work is pretty ridiculous, it's even more ridiculous that they heldher for an hour and a half because of a sketchbook.

MerigoldinWA
12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Oh, is that the lady who knits machine guns and jackhammers? I saw her motorcycle cozy recently. She IS dangerous. LOL

DorothyDot
12-04-2008, 08:33 PM
It was truly great! She took.. an old WW II tank - army green, tread tracking, gun turret, yep... and crocheted like a white flower-motif afghan to totally cover the tank and keep it warm. Fitted that sucker like a second skin!

But my favorite was... she again crocheted little squares of white lacy yarn with cute pink roses in the center of each and - believe it! - fitted it to a chain saw.

Uh-huh. A cut-down-that-oak tree, make a noise like an angry motorcycle, chain saw. Sure looked cute in its coat of lacy white with pink flowers spotted all over it! :roflhard:

Totally off the wall.

Dot

katknit
12-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Need a laugh? Watch Steven Colbert on knitting and politics!
http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/nailed-em-radical-knitting-wednesday-december-3rd-colbertnationcom/
:rofl:

Sunshine's Mom
12-05-2008, 04:19 PM
That was great. Thanks for sharing.

Marria
12-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Hilarious! :cheering:

MoniDew
12-06-2008, 09:57 AM
hey, I'm into radical lace and subversive knitting. and I plan on traveling soon. Watch out, grandma with two sharp sticks onboard an airplane!
________
Extreme q vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.net/)

Marria
12-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I haven't flown in awhile. Can you take knitting needles on the plane now? If so, then :woohoo:

drTortoise
12-07-2008, 11:56 AM
No, no needles allowed on the airplane im afraid=(

Plantgoddess+
12-07-2008, 12:26 PM
If you're flying inside the states, you shouldn't have a problem. I have flown several times with dpns and circulars. I haven't had a problem.

DQ
12-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Loved it, thanks! :yay:

beldaraan
12-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Seems this video doesn't like canadians. I got a three second blurb telling me to that Comedy Central videos can be found at Comedy Network, for canadians, but didn't find it.

crazykntter83
12-07-2008, 01:28 PM
That was awesome! :mrgreen:

Laineybirdy
12-08-2008, 12:16 AM
I always take my knitting - just remember to not take your scissors. They will take those away. Buy never had a problem with my knitting in the States (just in London). I recently went from CA to FL and knitted the whole time.

thecanfield
12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I am a 27 year old male knitter and was kind of worried that security would question what I was doing with knitting needles last month when I flew from Florida to Colorado. They had no questions just scanned the bag and went about there business. Instead of my favorite scissors I took one of those plastic bussiness card sized wrapping paper cutters, you know the "you canít hurt yourself ones" that just slide down the paper. I just looped the yarn and pulled it through and it worked surprisingly well to include the bulky yarn I was working with.

Sajomaro
12-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Seems this video doesn't like canadians. I got a three second blurb telling me to that Comedy Central videos can be found at Comedy Network, for canadians, but didn't find it.
I had the same problem but was able to find this (http://watch.thecomedynetwork.ca/#clip117442) on the Comedy Networks website.

Mike
12-09-2008, 11:03 AM
That's funny.
You're searched going into Canada if you own guns (even if they're left at home, yes, the question was asked of my sister's family and the honest answer got them searched) or have NRA stickers on your car.
You're searched coming back if you have gun and car cozies.

I've thought about making gun cozies. I hate dusting and dust on the guns can cause rust.

cftwo
12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
You can take short-bladed scissors on airplanes now, though I like thecanfield's idea of using one of those letter opener things. You can also take knitting needles on US flights (my last trip, I brought my 7" bamboo straights).

Plantgoddess+
12-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I used nail clippers as a substitute for scissors on the plane. As long as there is no nail file on them they seem not to care.