PDA

View Full Version : A PROJECT FOR ARTLADY!!

GinnyG
12-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I saw this coat, fell in love with it and IMMEDIATELY thought, the only person I know with enough guts to tackle this is ARTLADY!
http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/component/content/article/60-winter-2008-patterns/147-sylvi-by-mari-muinonen

cdjack
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I thought the very same thing when I saw that coat! I absolutely love it. Now, let's see :think: ... if I start right after Christmas, I should have it done by next Christmas. How fast do think ArtLady could have it done?

margz3
12-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I thought the very same thing when I saw that coat! I absolutely love it. Now, let's see :think: ... if I start right after Christmas, I should have it done by next Christmas. How fast do think ArtLady could have it done?

FO posted by Monday!! ;)

Jan in CA
12-10-2008, 04:49 PM
:lol: And there are 67 projects on Rav although only 3 finished.

Karina
12-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I love that coat. thanks for the link

Dangles
12-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Very nice! Yes it's definitely has ArtLady written all over it :)

evona
12-10-2008, 05:56 PM
What a gorgeous coat! And I agree that I can totally see Artlady doing this coat splendidly as always :)

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 05:59 PM
You are TOO SWEET!!! I love:heart: love :heart:love this coat!

Oh my oh my! :doh:
What have you gotten me into? :woot:

I saved the link, and I'm on my way over to Rav to see the other projects that Jan mentioned, and see what folks say about it.
It looks like the vines are knitted in using cables, but I bet the flowers are knit separately and tacked down. At least I hope so.:thumbsup:

Thanks again! I feel like I have a reputation around here, huh? ;)

Arielluria
12-10-2008, 06:10 PM
WOW! That's awesome!:woot:

GinnyG
12-10-2008, 06:16 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

You GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!

We'll be your cheering squad!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had the nerve to suggest a knit along but.....

evona
12-10-2008, 06:28 PM
I think a KAL would be great Ginny, but . .. uh . . . I know it would take me forever and a day to be anywhere near done with something like this.

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Well, I went on over and investigated the pattern. I had added the pattern to MY SHOPPING CART...and then it dawned on me http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/3.gif....

The model is prolly 5'7" or taller...the design work on the back of the coat is set for a certain length...I am only 5'0" tall...I may not be able to shorten this coat for my short self.

I'll have to think about this dilemma. http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/1.gif

I'm going to study that vine and leaf work (there are some great photos of it) and ascertain if there seems to be any point at which I can shorten the design pattern...maybe leave out a repeat...something like that...and thereby being able to shorten the length of the coat from the bottom edge to the armhole shaping.

BUT my o my...this pattern is just begging to come home to my house!!!!

:roflhard:

lizardknits
12-10-2008, 06:52 PM
maybe you have a friend who is tall that you could make it for?
just a thought...

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
This coat would be easy. The FRONTS and SLEEVES are just double moss stitch, I think. Boring, but do-able.

The SLEEVES are knit in the round, prolly picked up at the armholes and knit down to the cuff. That will be nice for me, with my short arms I can try on the coat before binding off the cuffs!

It is the BACK that will be fun to knit. It is only simple cabling that meanders all over the place that creates the vines.

Those leaves are easy. I think they are also "knitted in" at the end of the "vines". I think the bobbles are worked at the tail ends of other "vines".

I'm fairly certain that those flower petals are knit individually (like I did for my cream tweed MELISSA jacket recently posted) and then tacked onto the ends of the vines later.

This isn't a difficult coat, but that depends on the designer's ability to communicate effectively.

Elsebeth Lavold, the Swedish designer that I adore, can drive me nuts with her terminology. It's the translation from Swedish to English that is a killer. Ack. The easiest appearing design can be mind-boggling, and sometimes the most complicated designs are easiest. :eyes:

I'm 99% certain that the pattern design for the BACK will be worked from a chart (relief!). Charts are usually much easier than play-by-play, written-out, wordy instructions.

Anyways, someone was wondering how long this coat would take me to knit. Well, from "cast on" to "put it on and walk out the door"...I'd say 2 weeks...3 weeks tops. That is because the entire coat is 12st=4" (bulky yarn)...and the only 'work' is the BACK. And giving a few days for blocking and seaming...that's 2 weeks...but I'll even add 1 week "in case".
Bulky yarn projects really travel FAST from bottom edge to bind off at shoulders! Every row gets you somewhere!!

If I can figure out a way to modify the length of this coat for my short self...I would love to host a KNITALONG for it. Fun!

It is hard to find a good color in the signature yarn, Briggs & Little "Atlantic". But WEBS has Brown Sheep Bulky (http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/28CAB28C-0F62-4EF3-9F98-25E2A348FE63/productID/4B146D25-7A0F-412D-AC79-F673DFD3BE3A/) that's the exact gauge.

And some of us might have forgotten what's locked up in YARN JAIL! I'll definitely look in and see if I can't 'parole' some yarn!

The coat has some roomier sizes for us plumper ladies, too! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Well at THIS WEBSITE (http://robynsnest.ca/xcart/home.php?cat=290) the Briggs & Little "Atlantic" bulky yarn (136 yds per skein) is $5.50 CAD. I think CAD means Canadian.

The size 47" coat takes 14 skeins (1904 yds)...so the cost would be $77 CAD...which I don't know how much in US dollars. Do you?

Anyhoo...the coat takes anywhere from 1,632-1,904 yds of bulky weight yarn. Not bad.

cdjack
12-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, ok ... If you host a KAL ,Artlady, then I am in. After my Christmas knitting gets all finished up, of course. Actually, before I commit, I better go check out on Rav people's yarn choices and see how much this is going to set me back.

KnitWit1987
12-10-2008, 07:24 PM
It would be $61.24. I really want to make it too but dont know if im expierenced enough... artlady I think its time for a knit-along (after christmas of course :D)

evona
12-10-2008, 07:28 PM
I think I would be up for a KAL if its hosted too. But I wouldn't be able to start until after all the X-mas knitting is done and a few baby obligations I have before February. Plus I have to be able to afford all that yarn. I was thinking about my DD when I saw this jacket, but she is on the short side as well - I'm 5'9", my DS is 6'0", but she took after the girls in her dad's side of the family and stopped at 5'3 1/2". Long coats don't usually look that good on her - they look too bulky and like she's wearing her big brothers clothes or something :roflhard: So I would be interested to find out what you learn about shortening the coat Artlady. If not, I suppose I could probably just make it for myself :wink:

evona
12-10-2008, 07:32 PM
T
Anyways, someone was wondering how long this coat would take me to knit. Well, from "cast on" to "put it on and walk out the door"...I'd say 2 weeks...3 weeks tops. That is because the entire coat is 12st=4" (bulky yarn)...and the only 'work' is the BACK. And giving a few days for blocking and seaming...that's 2 weeks...but I'll even add 1 week "in case".

:passedout: You will have me beat by many weeks!!

cdjack
12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I saw that some people made the coat out of Bulky Cascade. The number escapes me... 109, I think. Anyway, Webs has it on clearance for 3.99 a hank.
The actual yarn the pattern calls for is from Canada. I couldn't find a place to buy it here.

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Well, my only tall friend is a master knitter! And she would need a bigger size than 47". She is good at modifying 'too small' patterns for her size, but I don't know how she does it! Her knitting is fabulous! I guess you know what we do when we're on vacation together! And we went on an Knitter's Alaskan Cruise in 2004! That was the cruise that had 4 virtuoso designers aboard who gave 21 hours of classes throughout the week!!! Each knitter could decide which designer would be her "in depth" class...and then you also got 2 hrs short class from each of the other 3 designers. Elsebeth Lavold was my "in depth" class. I've never ever again seen a Knitter's Cruise designer line-up that was as good as our 2004 Knitter's cruise. We had Elsebeth Lavold, Sasha Kagan, Chris Bylsman and Nancie Wiseman. Man o man. What a lineup!

Two of my girls are short...and being young...they have their own taste...and it is not this coat. And my tall girl wouldn't wear this coat, either.

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 07:46 PM
WEBS also has the Cascade 109 in tweeds! $4.99 per sk.

What color do you think? The white tweed is interesting...but I sure an stuck on the RED of the model sweater. Sigh.

Me and RED. I just get so 'locked on' to it!!! :roflhard:

Jaxhil
12-10-2008, 08:03 PM
:inlove:

That is *gorgeous*!! I wish I had the time :)

And ArtLady, I am with you! I get stuck on RED too~everything just looks SO good in it! :teehee: So I would say go for the Red!

Jan in CA
12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
:inlove:

That is *gorgeous*!! I wish I had the time :)

I wish I had the nerve! :lol:

evona
12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
You know, I got a card good for 1 trip to the yarn store from my BF's mother for my birthday and I have been thinking and thinking about what special knitted thing I want to use that trip for. I think this pattern is it :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 09:42 PM
http://twistcollective.com/collection/cart_images/win_08/sylvi_z_500.jpg

So here's what I could do, maybe: I would have to start my chart on the row that is right above the tip of that very first leaf on the right.

The first flower on the left side of this view would be located near the hem of my coat...and everything else would flow up from there, as per pattern. I would eliminate about 10" I bet!

I could jimmy the arrangement of the petals of flower #1 because they are, no doubt, knit separately. As for the missing leaf, if I really really really need one, I could knit one separately later and plop it somewheres.

Well, ladies, how about we start this coat on Feb 1st?

I'm gonna get that Cascade 109 tweed, I think, from WEBS while it's being discounted for closeout...or the Brown Sheep Bulky. Depends on the colors available. I'll make this coat in red, denim blue or white. Haven't decided. I love the Cascade 109 white tweed. Yum! I'm not sure I'm wild about the shades of reds offered. Red is tricky.

I am hosting the KH-January KAL (that seamless stashghan) so I can't start til Feb...but we could all of us use January to get our patterns, get our yarn, swatch swatch swatch...get our notebook set up...get the charts printed and colored in...and so forth. I take all these steps before ever casting on one stitch for any coat or cardigan or pullover. Before I ever cast on, I know exactly what I'm gonna do and when I'm gonna do it.

Do any of you remember the Central Park Hoodie KAL that I hosted a while back? If you take a look at the first few pages, you will see an example of how I set up my charts for easier management (to eliminate mistakes) ...and how I set up my notebook (I decipher 'patternese' talk into plain ole English).

It takes a bit of time, true, but then so does tinking and frogging! :teehee: My preparations are part of the reason I get a project done so quickly. With good preparation, I rarely have to re-do anything. Then all I do is follow my orders to myself. :roflhard:

You know how some husbands get on the road, they point their car in about the right direction...and just drive around til they find what they're looking for? No map, no plan...just drive. They do get there eventually...but it isn't my kind of trip.

Here's how I plan a big trip: I get a 'trip tych' from AAA.
I mapquest what I don't understand.

For short trips: I mapquest, mapquest, mapquest. I look at the printed map...I look at the reality map. I zoom in to 'see' the street. I compare those printouts with what a hostess has told me.

Before I leave the driveway, I'm really already there...or have been there by virtual travel! I have my plan of attack. I never get lost. I dont' take wrong exits. I don't turn left instead of right.

Well, that's how I knit, too!

Is that OCD? :shrug: I dunno. I call it Preparation! :roflhard:

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Oh how I LOVE patterns that are PDF downloads. I already have my pattern!!!!! Now I can hardly wait to print it and study it!

:cheering::cheering::cheering:

Wanda Witch
12-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Art Lady, if anyone can modify and actually knit this - well you are THE one. It would smashing on you - I don't care if you are 5' or 6'. I LOVE this pattern, but fear I am not up to the challenge. Sigh.:cry: :cry:

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 10:22 PM
OK...some questions are answered!

1) great charts! the best I've seen! full page charts that are very easy to read; we won't have to enlarge them manually!!
2) the leaves (easy) are knitted in as you go, as are the bobbles
3) the flower petals are knit separately, and they are easy-peasy and are of course charted (relief)
5) the PDF is 9 pages long...so we are definitely not short-changed on directions and extras!!! worth the $7!

4) finished length for my size: 39"

Way way way too long for me! My longest cardigan is 34"...and it makes me look a tree stump with skirt on.

Anyways....leaving out the first dozen (or so) rows will be just the remedy for me! After I swatch my yarn (and get a row gauge), I'll be able to determine exactly how many of those first rows I have to eliminate. I don't want this coat to hit me at just below the knees. Either come down to almost the floor, or mid-thigh-ish for us shorties. :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
12-10-2008, 10:52 PM
We can plan our KAL here for the next two months...etc...and in late January, I will organize the actual KAL. I hope to have my notebook built, and swatch photos...so can post those at that time.

In the meantime, let's share links etc about our yarn search!

I checked my stash...the only yarn I could possible use is 4,360 yards of a RowanSpun DK. (don't ask...I have no clue what I was thinking when I bought it! :doh:)

Will two strands of DK make the same gauge as a bulky? Hmmm. :?? Well I gotta dig it out and give it a trial run. The Ravelry software says it knits at 20-21 st per 4"...so it is a fat DK.

Afterall, I'm supposed to also get the 2009 Year of the Stash train revved up on Jan 1, 2009 as well. ;)

Wanda Witch
12-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I HAD to have the pattern. I downloaded it (several copies just in case I mess up with my 'notes' along the way) and I hope I can meet the challenge. I don't have a problem with length so no problem there. I will look forward, Artlady, to your KAL, since I've never participated this will be a first. I haven't a clue, as yet anyway, what yarn I will use. I hate to admit it, but I am somewhat timid about this since I am not an oldl time knitter (just an old-timer by vintage) and usually select whatever brand, etc., the pattern suggests. As for color? I don't know. So, this should be fun and maybe it will kick-start me back into knitting again. I've really been on a hiatus for whatever reason - just got out of the mood, I guess. Thanks for your input. Wanda

ArtLady1981
12-11-2008, 12:50 AM
I haven't a clue, as yet anyway, what yarn I will use. I hate to admit it... Wanda

HERE IS A LINK (http://robynsnest.ca/xcart/home.php?cat=291) for the Briggs & Little "Atlantic" yarn. The price is given in Canadian dollars, but I think you could just buy it with any cc and it will 'exchange' their rate to your rate. I think, if we want to know ahead of time, we could GOOGLE the exchange rate. Also, you could click on her CONTACT US link at the top right hand corner. Ask her what it will cost in your dollars.

Well, I'm back. I found a Universal Currency Converter (http://www.xe.com/ucc/) and the results for Canadian money to US money is: 1 CAD = .797710 USD....so that means that $5.50 CAD per skein = $4.3874 USD per skein. Cool.

evona
12-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Yay! I can't wait! February is perfect. Thanks for setting it up Artlady :cheering: :cheering:

GinnyG
12-11-2008, 06:20 AM
I dreamed about this pattern last night:teehee: :teehee:

I am going to download the pattern today!!!!!!!!!!

FEBRUARY? OH my.............

I think Lambs Pride bulky is the perfect yarn. I actually have 14 skeins in red........ I will need to "upsize" a tad...........

Oh what the heck, why not!!

ArtLady1981
12-11-2008, 06:34 AM
For those of you who are Ravelers: there is also a KAL there for RAVELRY KAL for SYLVI (http://www.ravelry.com/groups/sylvi-kal) in which we can snoop around and get additional tips. :roflhard:

My Rowanspun DK didn't work with 2 strands held together. And because it is sorta tweedy...the 2 strands kinda fought with each other and wanted to separate... instead of hugging one another. :pout:

So I hafta keep searching for a yarn...darn.

I can't decide between white tweed, solid red, or a soft yellow.
I don't have a yellow sweater, and I remember being jealous of Elaine's yellow cabled cardigan on a Jerry Seinfeld episode at the coffee shop. I haven't forgotten that sweater!!!

ArtLady1981
12-11-2008, 06:48 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3059/3097658019_042ff78678_m.jpg

Here is a Ravelry SYLVI that a lady made for her youngish daughter. Gals, I am mighty tempted to omit the hood, too.

I am not wild about wearing hoods "up" in my not-icy-cold city. And when the hood is "down", it hides that shoulder flower, which I think is the best placement out of all 3.

Here is another finished SYLVI, and the lady upsized hers to a size 52:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/3063835058_7d26c2bfbc.jpg

About the Sylvi hood, and this is just me...and I'll admit I'm prolly a bit wierd: the ornamentation on the hood reminds me of a "Kling-on" head from Star Trek. Didn't the Kling-ons have that wierd looking forehead and back of head? Or some Star Trek alien. Well anyways, I'm wierd. If I do make the hood, it won't have the snakey vines going up the back...I might knit a flower for the side of it, and maybe two leaves. Positively no vines. Maybe no flower or leaves either. Maybe just plain seed stitch. I decide when I get there.

This is just personal taste on my part. Anyone want to weigh in on the hood? What do you like? Will you do the hood "as shown"?

ArtLady1981
12-11-2008, 08:38 AM
PS: I'm getting lots of tips over at the Ravelry KAL for us!
Will post those tips once our KAL gets going.

The right yarn is very important from the get-go.
You will make this coat a lot harder if you try to work with
a yarn that just isn't the right gauge to start with.

Try to get a yarn that the label says 3st=1" or 12st=4".

If your yarn is off a bit, you might still get gauge.
They say that row gauge is just as important as stitch gauge, and of course that is because you HAVE TO KNIT the entire repeats of the BACK. You can't stop short, or go longer, when you reach the armpits.

They also emphasize the importance of swatching, and WASHING and BLOCKING the swatch. I don't usually wash and block the gauge swatch unless I'm curious on how the yarn will bloom and fill in the 'holes' such as the Tahki Donegal Tweed. It is all holey until you block it. (Melissa coat)

Anyways, I hope you aren't sick and tired of reading my posts. I'll simmer down. I've been excited about this project today.

Did I tell you I found the PERFECT yarn in my YARN JAIL (aka Stash)!??

Yes, although I wanted to run out on the internet and buy a bunch of new colorful yarn...I found that I have 30 skeins of cream Rowan POLAR, which I love BTW...and the label says it is 3st=1". Sylvi should use up about 17-18 skeins!:woot:

I love white coats anyways. They are so versatile, and the patterning of SYLVI will show up on white real good.

The next best thing to RED!

GinnyG
12-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Actually, I agree... I would prefer the non hooded version.

But RED, definately RED. To me this pattern SCREAMS "do me in red" :heart: :heart:

cdjack
12-11-2008, 10:37 AM
I think that I might to the hood and leave out the leaves. :roflhard: I'm a sucker for hoods, even though I live in Texas and don't think I have ever actually used a hood.

Maybe I will just go ahead and purchase the yarn it calls for.
That cornflower blue is calling my name... or there is always red.

GinnyG
12-11-2008, 10:44 AM
I bought the pattern:happydance:

ArtLady1981
12-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes, the more I think about the hood...IF I make the hood...and I am leaning towards the hood...it will be straight up seed stitch.

The reason I might knit the hood is cuz the collar on that Fuschia SYLVI isn't that great looking. Well, that's just the back view.
It is tricky when you start to make major modifications!

Well, that's why we're in this TOGETHER! To collaborate and share thoughts!! :cheering:

BTW...I shouldn't be doing this...but I am swatching my yarn right now! I am getting PERFECT stitch gauge using US 11 needle, just like the ball band states!

WhooHoo! :woot:

Now I have to finish the row gauge. I am up to about 10 rows. I'll take a digital photo of my seed stitch swatch for posting later in the actual KAL.

As the moderator for the KAL, I think I should try to stay a step ahead of y'all! :roflhard:

McKnitty
12-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks again! I feel like I have a reputation around here, huh? ;)

Yes, you certainly do! That is absolutely gorgeous, but way out of my league, so I'll be happy to cheer you on. I can't wait to see your version!

cdjack
12-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I found this very interesting and cool:

http://http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/blog/38-twist-collective-blog/189-the-story-of (http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/blog/38-twist-collective-blog/189-the-story-of)

GinnyG
12-11-2008, 11:13 AM
OK so now I am getting excited.... I emailed the pattern pic to my daughter who fell in love with it. So I'm in, and will make it for my daghter not for me. Which means I don't have to worry about resizing:cheering:

THANKS for the link to the "story" of Sylvi, how fun!

ArtLady1981
12-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I found this very interesting and cool:

http://http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/blog/38-twist-collective-blog/189-the-story-of (http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/blog/38-twist-collective-blog/189-the-story-of)

Oh THANK YOU for that link!!!! I will save it for sure!!!! :cheering:

sarahd77
12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Wow that coat is BEAUTIFUL.....!:heart:

Sarah

Wanda Witch
12-11-2008, 01:28 PM
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3059

This is just personal taste on my part. Anyone want to weigh in on the hood? What do you like? Will you do the hood "as shown"?

I have to agree but then I am not fond of wearing a hood. The detail on the shoulder is so great and would be lost if the hood was down. I lean toward - No Hood - here.

Karina
12-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I am in. just downloaded my pattern. I have been a bit sneaky this year and got my DH to ring up his mum and told her that I would love a gift Certificate to John Lewis (a Department store) which last year had a 50% off sale in their yarn dept after Christmas. So I will be looking for yarn then. Will most likely be a Rowan yarn so will look at what yarn is the right gauge for this coat. I do love the coat in the red although I am not normally a red person. I love the hood although not with the flower at the top. looks like an alien and reminds me of Sigourney weaver.

evona
12-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I probably will do the hood, but in seed stitch too. I will download the pattern next week, but probably won't get the yarn til after the 1st. I am going to have to get busy swatch ASAP after that though.

evona
12-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Does anyone here have experience with Valley Yarn Berkshire

http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/28CAB28C-0F62-4EF3-9F98-25E2A348FE63/productID/22CB2E63-0661-4943-86B5-14020C5E75C4/

I saw someone asked about it on the Ravelry KAL. none of the stores around my area carry the yarn and I'm interested in how it feels and how it knits up.

ArtLady1981
12-11-2008, 06:11 PM
I haven't knit with it, but I visited the website and inspected the yarn! It is the yarn I was going to buy until I discovered (!) the Rowan POLAR in my yarn jail!

The VY yarn looks so nice. Great colors. I think, from looking at it closely, it is single ply...which is what POLAR is, and MALABRIGO MERINO.

I especially liked the new PALE LILAC. Totally not my normal color...but I loved it. And that new STONE BLUE! Isn't that a great one?

There are also about 4 shades in the RED family.

There are a lot of colors that are tempting. It looks like a fabulous yarn!

But I'm gonna like my coat in the cream POLAR.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/3099704483_465eb73ffb.jpg?v=0

Here is my swatch: Perfect stitch gauge. The ruler is measuring the center 12 st.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/3100685042_163c0bb494.jpg?v=0

Here is the row gauge: the ruler is measuring 16 rows...and as you can see, it is one inch too short! My problem is solved!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/3100686266_82e9af0835.jpg?v=0

With row gauge that is off 1" per 16 rows...my coat will end up being 9.75" shorter than the schematic!

I'm gonna do what the moderator recommended if you are uncertain about your gauge in any way, or in you are unsure of how your yarn will perform: knit a sleeve first! That is exactly what I'll do. If I like it, I'll knit the 2nd sleeve while the gauge and directions are fresh in my mind. Then I'll move on to the BACK...then the FRONTS...then maybe a plain seed st hood, or collar/neckband of some kind.

The lady who knit the fuschia SYLVI for her DD has posted many more views of the sweater. So we can see how the front looks minus the hood.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/3097656593_556575b5e0.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3118/3098493274_b85507cd43.jpg

Gosh darn it, doesn't the SYLVI look good in fuschia?!!!!!
The lady used a lighter weight yarn with a smaller gauge.
That's how she was able to knit this to fit her young daughter!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/3097657291_b3a203449e.jpg

You know, it occured to me, this thread is a great thing! We can talk all about preparations, etc. and then we can begin the actual KAL FRESH, without all the (at that time) unnecessary stuff and photos!

So ask away, post on Good Women! :roflhard:

evona
12-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the input re VY Artlady. That stone blue was exactly what I was looking at :roflhard: I usually like more autumny colors though. I am seriously thinking about trying that yarn. Hmmmmmm :think:

evona
12-11-2008, 07:11 PM
BTW - that rowan looks so yummy!!!!

Kithic
12-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Oh my, this coat is simply stunning! I think I am going to join the KAL even though I find it hard to finish anything but socks, lol! Artlady, that yarn just looks soft and snuggly! I'm considering ordering the Cascade 109 but I can't decide if I want red or white. I like the idea of doing the hood in all seed stitch.

ArtLady1981
12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, while the hood as per pattern is a real eye-catcher...most of us are agreed that IF we do a hood at all...plain seed st will be the pattern st. But I'm glad some of us are still doing the hood as per pattern!

I might consider knitting some flowers independently, maybe a few leaves, and tackting them onto hood as a trial. Just to see how I like it. By knitting them independently, I'm not committed to them. I have an "out clause" called the frog pond! :roflhard:

If and when I get to that decision, I will definitely run the photos on our KAL to see what you think and get your input before stitching them down permanent.

I can hardly wait for Feb 1st!

GinnyG
12-12-2008, 08:45 AM
My daughter has decided she wants the hood so I guess hooded it is!

MoniDew
12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
I just saw this post (even though it's obviously been going on for a while now.)
And, you guys are going to hate my guts when I say this, but, the second I saw that coat, I saw it in full color!
The flowers remind me of poinsettias (christmas brain), so I saw them in christmas red, complete with golden bobble centers, green leaves, brown vines, on a pale antique gold or maybe cream background.
ArtLady? You game for THAT challenge? LOL!
Okay, you can kill me now.
________
Iolite Portable Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

GinnyG
12-15-2008, 07:38 PM
hehehehe, I've actually been looking at the pattern all weekend wondering how it would look for the flowers and leaves to be a different color!!

ArtLady1981
12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
On Ravelry there is a SYLVI where the knitter has made the flower petals different colors, etc. I didn't especially like it. However, every petal was a diff color...and not reds. Purples, teals, etc. It was distracting to my eye.

Well, so far...for me...whereas I love the red...I won't be doing red cuz #1) I have knit several red sweaters just recently and #2) I don't have any bulky red yarn in my stash anyways...and I desperately want to use STASH.

However, as desperate as I feel in using STASH, I wouldn't use the cream Rowan POLAR if I didn't just love it to death. I love a winter white coat. I think winter white is classy. I can be dressed up or dressed down. It can be worn with any color skirt, slacks or dress.

I will knit white on white with regards to the design work on the BACK. I think the BOLD TEXTURE of the pattern work will stand out a lot even being white on white, or red on red...or what-have-you.

Another SYLVI that I like over at Rav is a heathered light grey.
And I really love that little girl's FUSCHIA!

Oh, and wouldn't butter yellow be magnifico!

Anyhoo...winter white for Artlady...and my Rowan POLAR finally gets paroled from yarn jail! :roflhard:

GinnyG
12-16-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm all set with Brown Sheep Bulky in LIPSTICK RED:heart: This is for my daughter and I think she will look ADORABLE in it.

I should be able to start when the Holiday madness is over, if not before. I am supposed to start another Norwegian Sweater class in January so would love to be well started on this before then.

BUT want to make sure Artlady is two steps ahead of me (so I can ask questions).

Artlady, are you starting with sleeves?

ArtLady1981
12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes, I will start with the sleeves, as suggested by a Raveler.
Then IF the gauge for my substitute yarn is off...only sleeves are off to the frog pond.

Here is something I've been reading a lot regarding gauge:

Wash and block the swatch because the length will grow.

One lady said her BACK was spot on before she blocked it, but it grew 3" after washing and blocking.

So whadda ya do about that? Gauge swatch is a perfect 4x4"...you block it....it's now 4x5" or 4x4.5"!!! HUH? I don't understand that. Don't they know how to coax a swatch back to its original proportions? I had to do that with my GROVE 3/4 coat...and the designer didn't even give schematics in her book. I had to lay it on the blocking board dry, put pin outlines all around each piece, take up the pieces, then wash them...then return each piece to within the boundaries of the pin outlines.

Well, my gauge is coming up short...so my coat is s'posed to be 9 inches shorter than pattern. Will my coat grow back to the original length? Not if I have anything to do about it! :teehee:

Well, here's what I might do: I'll clip my FRONTS to the BACK at the shoulder seams and do a TRY ON. If the coat looks the right length...I will use another blocking technique. I won't use the soak, wash, rinse blocking method. I'll use the technique I always used to use: pin on blocking board, put really wet (no fabric softener & rinsed twice) towels on top of the pieces and leave til bone dry. That does an amazing job of blocking, and there shouldn't be any change in gauge or overall size. :eyes:

I will knit the sleeves, the BACK, then the FRONTS.

laikabear
12-19-2008, 01:36 AM
I think I want to join the KAL! I took lots of time off knitting to finish some (emboidered) Xmas gifts and now I have the bug like crazy! I think I started about 5 projects in the last 3 days.

I like the idea of making the coat without the hood. I think it will look more elegant. Although maybe with more of a fold-over collar than that one on Ravelry... I think I want to do winter white, too! I don't have any yarn so I have to pick something...

Part of my motivation is to get in on all the ArtLady tips and tricks. :happydance: I never thought of putting pins in an outline around something and smooshing it back into place after it's wet! I also have never done much finishing or seaming...

I'm 5'10" so I'll want mine long! :)

Here's a tough question... has anyone ever put a lining in a coat like this before? Hmmm...

laikabear
12-19-2008, 01:46 AM
PS --

POCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot: :mrgreen:

ArtLady1981
12-19-2008, 05:49 AM
I've never lined a coat, however, if you're a seamstress, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. There has to be something about the subject somewhere on the internet you'd think.

This might also be an interesting subject to toss out there on the General Knitting forum.

ArtLady1981
12-19-2008, 05:55 AM
One Rav knitter did side seam slit pockets, and another one did patch pockets. They both looked great! I want pockets for sure.

I also might knit a flower and one stem and two leaves for the Right Front. I don't know if I'll knit them into the Right Front from the bottom edge upwards...or knit them separately and tack down later.

It seems to me that the Fronts are a little lost without some hint of the floral design. Like, so plain...and then this EXPLOSION of detailing on the Back.

Another knitter modified the cuffs...using 1x1 ribbing...then immediately after the 1x1 ribbed cuff, she let a single vine with a single leaf trail up maybe 6-7" to mid-forearm. It was really a nice touch as well.

These red sleeves were her first attempt. She frogged the red and used a different yarn altogether (green) but this photo shows her vine and leaves good. I didn't like the 2x2 ribbing. Too casual.
The 1x1 ribbing on her green sleeves was much nicer.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3237/3049300027_28f65f732a.jpg

Well, that's what is fun about a KAL! Some knit with no mods, and others love to modify!

And then we get ideas of our own!

I'm usually a "knit to pattern" kind of gal...however, I've been doing some tinkering these days. ;)

Karina
12-19-2008, 06:04 AM
I would definitely be interested in finding out how you go about putting the design on the front. The amount of moss stitch on this coat is a bit daunting so having a pattern on the front would break up the monotony and make it a bit more interesting to knit.

ArtLady1981
12-19-2008, 06:07 AM
I would definitely be interested in finding out how you go about putting the design on the front. The amount of moss stitch on this coat is a bit daunting so having a pattern on the front would break up the monotony and make it a bit more interesting to knit.

Agreed!! :thumbsup:

I do think it would be nice to put a hint of the pattern on the sleeves, and Right Front. And I never thought about it, but YES INDEED...it would break up the moss stitch monotony! ;)

ArtLady1981
12-19-2008, 06:20 AM
I looked at the charts for the hood, and using rows 1-58 could be a good pattern to follow for the RIGHT FRONT motif.
Not the entire span of the chart...just the first two leaves and single stem, and it also has a place for the flower to begin, as seen by the stitches held in reserve for the middle of the flower (the bobbles).

So, one stem, two leaves, one flower.

By knitting a) the sleeves, then b) the BACK....we will all get a good 'feel' for the motifs. Then we'll knit c) the Left Front in plain moss st...and by the time we're ready to do d) the Right Front, we'll no doubt be very comfortable with implanting a little design work in it.

I'll tell ya one thing for sure...I'm not putting this project down til it's all done. No other WIPS for me til it's complete! I think we need to really stay as focused as possible. :eyes:

GinnyG
12-19-2008, 07:51 AM
I know what you mean, I've got my Christmas knitting done and am finishing up a February Lady sweater (am almost done with the first sleeve) then I plan to spend ALL my time on Sylvi!

Karina
12-19-2008, 09:06 AM
I am getting impatient now. still not sure what yarn to use. I can get Rowan yarn here but most of the others would have to be imported from the US and with the £ being in the toilet at the moment I can't afford it. So any body have other suggestions for this jacket. Rowan would be fine If I could get enough of it on sale. I have just bought 6 skeins of Drops Eskimo which looks like a possible contender. I think one on Ravelry used that yarn. but there is only 50 meters in a skein so would need quite a few.

ArtLady1981
12-19-2008, 09:31 AM
I am getting impatient now. still not sure what yarn to use. I can get Rowan yarn here but most of the others would have to be imported from the US and with the £ being in the toilet at the moment I can't afford it. So any body have other suggestions for this jacket. Rowan would be fine If I could get enough of it on sale. I have just bought 6 skeins of Drops Eskimo which looks like a possible contender. I think one on Ravelry used that yarn. but there is only 50 meters in a skein so would need quite a few.

Hi Karina!

Try this Ebay yarn shop. She lives in the UK, and I have purchased all my Rowan POLAR from her.

http://stores.ebay.com/Cucumberpatch-UK

laikabear
12-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't see any more Polar among the Ebay shop selections...

I'm not sure what kind of yarn I'm going to use either. I need to look at Webs more and see if there is anything on clearance.

I just spent $$$ on yarn for a sweater class (we had to use Trendsetter). I am not even sure how much I like the sweater. I thought we'd get to choose our own pattern but everyone had to make the same one. :tap:

Karina
12-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Am I right in thinking that Rowan Polar is Rowan Cocoon here in the UK. At the moments she does not seem to have any in her shop. There also is a Rowan British Breeds which I like but have never seen or felt in the flesh. Will have to go shopping after Christmas. Hopefully find an brilliant bargain

ArtLady1981
12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Rowan Polar is discontinued. Whereas Polar knits easily at 12st=4"...Cocoon knits easily at 14st=4". Just slightly lighter weight.

I am knitting with Cocoon right now, and I can visibly see that it isn't as thick...however, it could prolly be corrected by needle size.
Besides that, Cocoon would be a fortune $$$ to use for this coat!
Even if it was the right gauge, I wouldn't use it. The coat would cost me $250 US dollars. I don't think so!

Lamb's Pride Bulky is a good substitute yarn. I've heard a lot of good conversation about it. Not too expensive either.

Do you have Lamb's Pride Bulky in UK? HERE (http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/28CAB28C-0F62-4EF3-9F98-25E2A348FE63/productID/4B146D25-7A0F-412D-AC79-F673DFD3BE3A/) is a link for it at WEBS.
I really love it because it has soooo many color choices, and it's a single ply yarn. I would have purchased this yarn if I didn't already have this POLAR stash to use up. How quickly can you get a WEBS order from USA to UK?

The lady who owns the ebay yarn shop I linked you to will answer questions very quickly. Just click on any yarn and send her a message through the "ask seller a question".

Who knows...she may have some Polar tucked away somewhere but isn't advertising it.

I found her regular website.
http://www.cucumberpatch.co.uk/little_big_wool.htm
This yarn, Little Big Wool, is about the same gauge as Polar.
It's 11st=4". Its recommended needle size is 9mm or US13.
It appears to be slightly bulkier than Polar, but only by one stitch.

Karina
12-19-2008, 03:08 PM
I did look at the little big wool, but I figure I would need nearly 30 skeins which is about 1800 meter/yards? just to be safe. would hate to get near the end and find I could not get a match if I run short. that amount will cost me £135.oo way out of my price range. The Lambs pride Bulky is £7.00 a skein here in the UK so if I bought 20 skeins it would cost £140. I am hoping for a good after christmas sale at John Lewis which have a half price sale starting on the 27th Dec. They do mostly Rowan and Debbie Bliss yarns. If they have the right yarn on sale I will get it then. Other wise I am looking at spending around £80 for Drops Eskimo, Somebody did a lovely Grey Sylvi on Ravelry in that. My other option is to order the Cascade 109 from Webbs which with postage will come out at about the same price as the Drops. I am a bit hesitant to spend that sort of money for a yarn that I have never held in my hands. I think I am just going to wait for the sale and hope something good will turn up.

ArtLady1981
12-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh I saw that grey DROPS ESKIMO coat! It is gorgeous!

I know what you mean about ordering yarn you've never been able to handle. However one good thing about this coat, it won't lay right next to the skin because it is a coat. So even a less-than-soft 'feel' won't be an irritant to tender skin.

ArtLady1981
12-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Hmmm. Here in the US...16 skeins of Lamb's Pride Bulky would cost $122 less the 25% discount for an order that exceeds $120. So that's a total of $91. Plus shipping.

The US$91 is 61 UK dollars/pounds. Plus shipping.

Will WEBS ship to the UK? If so, is it reasonable?

I would need 16 skeins for the 44-46" size (1904 minimum yards).

Twenty skeins would be $114 US...and about $77 GBP.

Did you forget that WEBS offers a 25% discount on all purchases over $120?

I found some information about WEBS shipping policy:

Canada and Worldwide

We ship U.S. Postal Service internationally unless you would prefer a different carrier. We primarily ship Airmail unless you would prefer Parcel Post. Charges will be based on published USPS rates, plus $1.00 S&H. Check http://www.usps.com/ for the latest rates.

Plantgoddess+
12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Boy I wish I could get in on this, but I just can't justify any more money on yarn. I look forward to seeing all of you progress on this pattern.

Karina
12-19-2008, 04:35 PM
I bought 8 skeins of Cascade Eco and that cost me $36-39 for shipping can't remember exactly but within that bracket. I bought a pound cone of yarn and that cost me $30 for shipping. Sorry this is Webbs I am talking about. I was thinking of the Cascade 109 because it is on sale at 3.99 at the moment but I would not really save any money after I have paid for postage if I ordered that instead of the Eskimo. Back in the summer when you got about $2 for a £ everything was really cheap, even with shipping and customs, now I have to more careful.

Plantgoddess - there is no time limit, join when you can, I may have to join late If I can't find the yarn on sale after christmas.

laikabear
12-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I did see the Cascade 109 at Webs also. I've never seen it in person before, though... Isn't it only the tweed colors that are on sale? I think that would be nice for a sweater but I'm not so sure about a coat... I wanted a solid color!

I guess we do have 1.5 months to figure it all out... I'm not starting before ArtLady. No way!

laikabear
12-20-2008, 12:33 AM
OK, I'm dumb. I found the non-tweed 109 at Webs. I bought some in the "grey" color, which looked kind of winter white on my monitor. I didn't want to go with snow white. Hope it looks okay as there are NO RETURNS on sale yarn. !!!!!!!

Still haven't bought the pattern yet though. :teehee:

Karina
12-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Laikabear - If you don't mind, when you get your yarn could you knit your gauge swatch and post a photo. I am tempted to order the yarn but would like to see the swatch and hear your opinion of knitting with the yarn.

Just read a bit of your blog. the kiku temari is amazing. What are they used for? Decorating for special events or just to look beautiful around the house.

laikabear
12-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Sure! Except I just realized that I also need some more needles. :doh:

I have the Options set and they only go up to size 11 (the prepackaged set). I'll have to order the larger size tips from Knitpicks. I just narrowly avoided doing so when knitting my first sweater - it used size 11s).

:woohoo: shopping :woohoo:

Now I'm getting really excited! I checked out the Ravelry KAL page also. I made the mistake of looking at some of the members' other projects. Now I have more projects on my to-do list. Oops. That Ravelry is trouble!

Karina
12-20-2008, 04:51 AM
You got to love Ravelry for the amazing projects there is on show there also the different ways people interpret the projects to suit them self is amazing.

laikabear
12-20-2008, 05:35 AM
OK, I ordered my new needle tips. Uh, and a ball winder. Well you have to get that >$50 free shipping, right? :mrgreen:

So when all these lovely goodies arrive at my house I will make a swatch and let you know how the yarn feels. I've never used Cascade before. I did do a felting project with Lambs Pride bulky once, but it was for a purse.

That Rowan Polar just looks delicious though!! :biting:

laikabear
12-20-2008, 05:52 AM
Re: the temari (sorry I missed that part earlier!) I actually just learned to do those in the past couple of months. They are faster than knitting a garment (at least the simple designs I know how to do so far) and I made several for Xmas presents. My blog is woefully behind and I need to update it with some photos of the new ones. Anyway, you can put a loop to hang them from (like an Xmas ornament), or you can just sit them on a shelf like a knicknack. I put hanging loops on the gift ones; they can always cut them off if they want.

I think they are so pretty, but there is a limited number that I will want covering all the surfaces in my house. :teehee: Knitting is definitely more of an addiction...

I saw my first temari by looking at "Temari Stasia"s Flickr page. She is on Ravelry and her avatar is a temari. Hers are GORGEOUS. :thud: After seeing those I just had to learn to make my own.

evona
12-20-2008, 06:59 AM
I JUST Downloaded the pattern. I knew I had no time to get it until after the 15th. My BF's mom gave me a card with a note that I get a trip to the yarn store as my birthday gift and I'm cashing that chip in this weekend for Sylvi :) Plus I just bought my first set of Options :woot: I'm so excited!!!!

ArtLady1981
12-20-2008, 12:05 PM
I've used Cascade yarns and they are wonderful! The yarns I used had uniformity of color, no knots, and rendered great stitch definition. The stitches laid nice and even, and the blocking actually improved the appearance.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3190/2289114146_7dd3d73cc8.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2292/1845293799_92d51f6ea7.jpg?v=0

Karina
12-24-2008, 05:09 AM
I just got an email with an updated version of the Sylvi pattern. make sure everybody that have bought this pattern look out for their email. Hope you all have a great Christmas.

ArtLady1981
12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Karina! I got my emailed updated pattern, too.
Fortunately, the emailed letter states where the changes are located. Phew. I wouldn't have wanted to inspect all 9 pages of that pattern to HUNT for the changes.

Well, what I did was toss out the 9 pages I had originally printed.
I just don't want to work with a pattern that might have something wrong. There were modifications made in the language of the pattern, too...and I just don't feel like hunting for them.

It is nice to receive an emailed PDF updated pattern! I like that fact that I didn't have to go out on the internet and hunt for corrections myself!

:woot:

The designer posted a diagram for the cuffs. Kind of like a schematic. Those cuffs are 'stumping' some knitters over at Ravelry. Prolly cuz they haven't started the cuffs and are stumped over the concept while reviewing the directions.

Here is the diagram that gives you a visualization for the cuffs and how they work:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/3134017560_465777e8b7.jpg?v=0

ArtLady1981
12-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Does everyone have their yarn?

If not, WEBS is having an outrageous sale, today Dec 24 til Jan 4, while supplies last.

There are several yarns that are the right gauge: 3st=1".
For example, this yarn is 70% merino, 30% acrylic, with lots of color choices. It has a generous 115 yards per skein, too. Reduced from $8.99 to $3.49!
CASCADE BOLLICINE VICTOR (http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-year-end-blowout-sale/webs-knitting-yarns-cascade-bollicine-victor/)
http://www.yarn.com/resources/Yarn/images/products/processed/4189.022.zoom.1.jpg

My size SYLVI (47") would cost me $58 with this yarn!

Schachenmayr Silenzio Bulky (http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-year-end-blowout-sale/webs-knitting-yarns-schachenmayr-silenzio/) is the right gauge, also. On the sale, too.

TAHKI (http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-year-end-blowout-sale/_/page/9/) has several bulky weights on sale, too. They are subtle paints, and very pretty.

slugmom
12-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi all,
I didn't realize there was a whole discussion about this coat, but I'm planning on / starting to knit it, also.

But I already bought my yarn, last week ... I'd posted in the How-To when I was trying to figure out what kind to use, and ended up going with Bernat Softee Chunky ... (in berry red)

My gauge is off; with size 10 needles it's about 3.5" over 12 stitches, which is close, but my rows are way off, not quite 3" over the 16 rows.

Here are some questions, maybe you can help me figure out what to do ...

I'm also short, like ArtLady, I'm 5' 0" -- so if I just knit it as written I'll end up with a shorter coat, maybe it will still work?

But there's also the 1/2" off in the width - I could go up a needle size or two BUT already the seed stitch looks a little loose/holey with this yarn and size 10's - not in a bad way, but not as tight as I'd hope a coat might be, for warmth.

I was thinking maybe I could knit it on *smaller* needles, but knit a larger size in the pattern, to compensate? (knit the XL instead of the L) and see if I get about the right inches according to the little charts, (for example the bottom of the back says 33 1/2" width for L, 35 3/4" for XL -- I didn't do any math, but I could maybe knit the XL but have it come out closer to the L size?)

Does that make any sense? Is it a bad idea?

this project is already a *stretch* for me as a knitter, I was hoping to follow as closely to the pattern as I could, but I would like to be able to use the yarn I already bought ...

thanks for any suggestions/help you might have ...

oh, and two questions:
1.) I noticed in this thread several posts about moss stitch - are moss and seed the same stitch with different names?
2.) What does it mean that my gauge is close in stitches but much farther off in rows? I don't really know how I'd make my rows taller/bigger without making my stitches too wide, too

thank you very much
kim

laikabear
12-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi Slugmom, welcome to the KAL! :cheering:

First off, yes seed and moss stitch are the same thing.

Others with more experience will probably chime in later, but here's my 2c, probably worth about 1c. :teehee:

I'd get a different yarn and use the Bernat for something else. You will want a yarn that is labeled for 12 st. per 4", not 15 st. per 4" like the Bernat. If you go up enough needle sizes, you're right, the knitted fabric will look too holey. If you want to use a needle size that gives you a nice fabric, you will have to do calculations to make the pattern work. Who wants to do that? It is beyond my ability for sure. Sometimes using a program like Sweater Wizard, it could be done, but I would not mess with my stitch gauge as a beginner. The other thing to think about is that since this is knitted in pieces, it won't be as easy to just try it on as you go, and you might finish the whole thing before realizing you're unhappy with the fit.

As far as row gauge, that is less important. You can either have the coat turn out shorter, or you can add in extra rows to compensate. The thing is, with this patterned coat, adding in rows will be a little more work, but not impossible. I am sure we can help you with that if it comes down to it. I am quite tall so if my row gauge is off I will have to add rows (my yarn is still in the mail). The stitch gauge, however... well my advice would be to get different yarn and make sure the ball band states 3st / 1" or 12 st/ 4" or something very close to that.

One other thing that is helpful is to post your # of stitches over 1" or 4" (you should always measure at least 2-4" to be accurate). I did the math (I think!) and it seems you are getting about 14 or 13.75 sts to the 4".

Well, let's see what everyone else who has more experience says. Maybe they'll tell you to just knit a larger size! Crossed Fingers

ArtLady1981
12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Kim!

First of all, yes...seed st is the same as moss stitch.

With regards to your gauge:
Row gauge: as is, your coat will be about 12" shorter than the schematic. So, for example...if the length is supposed to be 39"...yours will be 27" from the back of the neck to the bottom edge. That might be ok for you.

However, you have a problem with your stitch gauge. I don't think your yarn is a suitable weight for this coat. But as is...your coat will be 5" smaller in the bust measurement than the pattern calls for. For example, let's say your bust measurement is 36". You'd want to make a finished size of at least 40-42". If you knit the size MEDIUM (41.5" finished bust measurement)....using the Bernat Softee Chunky yarn at the gauge you stated...your coat will only be 36.5" around. Your coat would fit you like a t-shirt.

I wouldn't suggest you go up in needle size. This will make the seed stitch much looser than practical, and unpleasant in appearance.

I wouldn't suggest you go down in needle size. You will only compound your problem with a gauge that is way smaller than even now.

If you want to stick with the yarn you purchased, and if the shorter length is ok with you...then you need to make a larger size than you normally would. Remember, the sizes stated in the pattern are the finished bust measurements.

Now, measure your bustline at the fullest part...add 5"...and that is the finished size you need to end up with.

I feel like I'm circling here.:eyes: Let me use a concrete example:

I am 36" bust. I need the 41" coat...but my gauge is off...so I need to knit the size 47" to end up with a size 42". That would be 6" of ease. If I don't like 6" ease...then I need to make the 44.5" coat to end up with a size 39.5". That is just 3.5" ease. Decisions, decisions. I personally prefer more ease in a coat. I'd choose the 6" ease.

Got it? :eyes: Sorry if that sounds confusing.

If you like the appearance of your seed stitch with the US10 needle...do NOT go up or down in needle size.

Your only hope (using this yarn) is to knit a larger size.

Being a 5' lady...the shorter length shouldn't be a big problem.
And they say that the weight of the knitted coat itself makes it grown in length a little.

Other Ravelry SYLVI knitters have also had row gauge issues, but they have remedied that by adding 2 extra rows every 7 rows. They are prolly tall ladies. That takes experience to work the extra rows into the cable patterning on the BACK. You wouldn't want to take that on. Even I have trouble wrapping my brain around the concept. I could figure it out if I had to...but I don't have to. Thank goodness!

I assume you have knitted a full 4"x4" swatch? If not, do so...and then soak it, pat it dry, and block it out to dry.

Maybe you'll get a wider width without sacrificing the appearance of your seed stitch...and the stitches might bloom nicely after soaking and blocking.

Everyone is yapping about the "gauge swatch" over at Ravelry.
They are so intense about its importance that it made me nervous. So I posed some additional questions about this gauge thing. The short answer is: soak and block your full 4"x4" gauge swatch and then re-measure it.

Let me know what happens. You must have your gauge and swatch information in hand to make a good sizing decisions!

Hugs,

Artlady

GinnyG
12-25-2008, 07:36 AM
I guess I'd better get swatching........ the stars seem to be aligned for a number of reasons.

1. I have been knitting "restless" for a week now, can't seem to settle down to knit anything

2. the "corrected" Sylvi pattern arrived in my email box yesterday

3. Last night at DH's family gathering his daughter gave me a beautiful Vera Bradly tote that is PERFECTfor lugging arouind a project the size of Sylvi:roflhard:

We are planning a quiet day at home today so I guess I "have at it".

slugmom
12-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Thank you for your reply, ArtLady ... I've never washed and blocked before ~blush~ -- the bernat softee chunky is 100% acrylic, would washing and blocking make that much of a difference? But I guess it can't hurt to try.

I don't know what I'll do, cost is a factor for me, I don't want to spend $100 knitting a coat when I don't even know how well I'll do knitting it. :( I also didn't want a hand-wash fussy-care coat, I have small children and wanted something that wouldn't shrink or felt or need to be washed carefully, so I was avoiding the wools.

I guess I could try to do the math and see approximate size changes if I knit the biggest size with my gauge as is ...

poodoo. I don't think I'm good enough to try modifying things that much :( :( :(

ArtLady1981
12-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Thank you for your reply, ArtLady ... I've never washed and blocked before ~blush~ -- the bernat softee chunky is 100% acrylic, would washing and blocking make that much of a difference? But I guess it can't hurt to try.

I don't know what I'll do, cost is a factor for me, I don't want to spend $100 knitting a coat when I don't even know how well I'll do knitting it. :( I also didn't want a hand-wash fussy-care coat, I have small children and wanted something that wouldn't shrink or felt or need to be washed carefully, so I was avoiding the wools.

I guess I could try to do the math and see approximate size changes if I knit the biggest size with my gauge as is ...

poodoo. I don't think I'm good enough to try modifying things that much :( :( :(

Why don't you send me a PM and give me your bustline measurement at the fullest part?.....and I could give you a recommendation for which larger size to knit. Also send me the finished gauge numbers...for width and heighth. Tell me how wide the 12 stitches are, and how tall the 16 rows are after blocking.

I totally know what you mean about the yarn. An acrylic coat could be washed and dried without having to worry about shrinking or felting. Pilling would be your main concern with a real softee yarn, but you can always clip off the little pills.

I would still wash and block the swatch. Just to see how it changes or reacts. You're right, wools react more to a soaking and blocking. However, it wouldn't hurt to try it out on your acrylic swatch.

Take heart. If we can find the size you should knit to accommodate the gauge of this yarn, your coat will turn out just fine.

Karina
12-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Showed my DH the coat and he really likes it and want me to make it. So although I was not going to order more yarn unless I could get it cheap, he said to get what I need to make it.

I am trying to decide between the cascade 109 or the designers original yarn Briggs something. any body care to add their experience with the two yarns and also recommend a web site to buy the Briggs yarn from. I think I have to order it from Canada??

robkat317
12-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Wow!! Thank you so much Artlady for the heads up on the sale at WEBS!! You were SO right about the outrageous part!! I just got some kid mohair yarn for $3.99 marked down from $9.00. Yeah me!!!

ArtLady1981
12-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Showed my DH the coat and he really likes it and want me to make it. So although I was not going to order more yarn unless I could get it cheap, he said to get what I need to make it.

I am trying to decide between the cascade 109 or the designers original yarn Briggs something. any body care to add their experience with the two yarns and also recommend a web site to buy the Briggs yarn from. I think I have to order it from Canada??

I've never used either yarn, however, Cascade brand is noted for being excellent! It is easier to find, too. If you want to compare Cascade 109 to the Briggs yarn, just GOOGLE the Briggs yarn, and you will come up with some hits.

Here is one hit I found by a Google search:
https://secure.webquarters.ca/wooltrends/detailedproducts.asp?pid=201

Karina
12-31-2008, 10:21 PM
I went with the Cascade 109 as it seems every so slightly bulkyer. I orderd 20 skeins of the Italian plum. I should have leftovers to make a pair of long wrists warmers and/or a hat or two.

Happy new year everybody. it is 2.20am here and I am off to bed.

Marria
01-01-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not going to join the KAL for Sylvi because I have so many other UFOs I want to finish, but I do have it in my queue on Ravelry, and I will definitely follow along to get all the good information for when I do make it. I really appreciate all the tips and info in this thread so far. I'm thinking it will save me some time and trouble when I do knit it.

Thanks! :hug:

slugmom
01-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi Slugmom, welcome to the KAL! :cheering:
I'd get a different yarn and use the Bernat for something else.

Thank you, Laikabear, for your welcome & reply -- I had meant to reply/thank you in my previous post but am spacey and distracted with not enough sleep and the holidays and a baby :zombie:

And thank you, ArtLady, for your offer to help me figure out size and things... I ended up doing some quick calculations and deciding my -upsize what I knit plan wouldn't work, I'm too close to the large end already to compensate for my gauge.

So I decided to do what Laikabear suggested, and return the yarn and find something else for this.

Soo ... I know there have been several suggestions in this thread, but it looks like they're mostly wool ... does anyone have any suggestions for a good, inexpensiveish yarn that would be easy-care -- won't shrink or bleed or felt on me ???

I feel like I'm back to square one, and discouraged. I was sooo excited when I first ordered the Bernat. :help:

Thank you!!! :heart:

Kim

evona
01-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I just got an email with an updated version of the Sylvi pattern. make sure everybody that have bought this pattern look out for their email. Hope you all have a great Christmas.

Just got back the other day from a backpacking tip and got my update too. Thanks!!

evona
01-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I went with the Cascade 109 as it seems every so slightly bulkyer. I orderd 20 skeins of the Italian plum. I should have leftovers to make a pair of long wrists warmers and/or a hat or two.

Happy new year everybody. it is 2.20am here and I am off to bed.

I went with Cascade 109 as well in Aubergine.

evona
01-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Thank you, Laikabear, for your welcome & reply -- I had meant to reply/thank you in my previous post but am spacey and distracted with not enough sleep and the holidays and a baby :zombie:

And thank you, ArtLady, for your offer to help me figure out size and things... I ended up doing some quick calculations and deciding my -upsize what I knit plan wouldn't work, I'm too close to the large end already to compensate for my gauge.

So I decided to do what Laikabear suggested, and return the yarn and find something else for this.

Soo ... I know there have been several suggestions in this thread, but it looks like they're mostly wool ... does anyone have any suggestions for a good, inexpensiveish yarn that would be easy-care -- won't shrink or bleed or felt on me ???

I feel like I'm back to square one, and discouraged. I was sooo excited when I first ordered the Bernat. :help:

Kim

Awww - don't be discourages slugmom! We're all here to ENCOURAGE you :) Check out Artlady's suggestions on yarn.com (aka Webs). Wool can shrink and felt in a wash, but some wools do ok on a gentle cycle in cold water and NOT dried in a drier. As for r wools like superwash that would be good for this project I don't really have a suggestion right off the top of my head. Perhaps someone else here might know more though.

ArtLady1981
01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Here are some photos of SYLVI by a Ravelry knitter.
Her Ravelry user name is "knits" and her personal name is Diana.
HERE (http://www.ravelry.com/people/knits) is a link to her Ravelry page...in case you are a Raveler and would like to learn more about her modifications. She is also a member of the Ravelry SYLVI group, which is where she posted her SYLVI.

She made a short length, and modified the cuffs as well.
I must say, I really like it, don't you?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/3160920114_368e9b31d6.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/3160919926_683a14181c.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/3160919824_0bb8122657.jpg?v=0

She is an adorable redhead, and this SYLVI cropped jacket suits her to a "T"! She lives in Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany!

evona
01-02-2009, 04:17 PM
That is really cute and that green looks really great with her red hair. I like that shorter style, but I do think I'll be doing the longer one. Its great to see all the modifications though. The shorter style might be good for my daughter who is on the short side. Longer coats look frumpy on her, unfortunately.

hartleystudio
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I just have to tell you that I have been lurking on this thread since the beginning and I think you are all unbelievably brave! I probably *could* knit it but the men in the little white coats would come for me for sure....:zombie:

With 2 little kids, a crazy dog, a husband and a jewelry studio practice, it would be too much!

Good luck, I can't wait to see all your coats!!!

laikabear
01-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Hartley... I think you might have to join us... :muah: Think about it, you'll have all of us supporting you... Well, we're mostly not starting till Feb 1, so you have plenty of time to think. And if you wait till Feb 15 or so, Artlady will probably be FINISHED and at least the rest of us will have had a chance to start making mistakes! :)

Slugmom, sorry if I discouraged you! :hug: I think wool or superwash wool would be the best yarn for the coat. I know some are using Knitpicks Wool of the Andes (I have a color card but haven't used it before). Maybe Lion Brand superwash wool has a super bulky option, does anyone know? I got the Cascade 109 since it was so cheap, and once it's blocked I'm hoping not to have to wash it very often since it is a coat! Since it's so big, I'll probably have it dry cleaned as needed instead of trying to care for it myself.

Before I started knitting last year, I hated wool and would never buy anything made with wool since it was too itchy. I actually WANTED to get sweaters only made of cotton or acrylic! :mrgreen: And I didn't want anything that was dry clean only. I wanted to be able to at least hand wash and dry flat (especially since I can never find those cool DRYEL refills anymore). Now that I'm a knitter, I LOVE wool and will tolerate a fair amount of itchiness, as well as I even have handwash only SOCKS! :rofl: I guess I'm just saying that I think once you've made your SYLVI you'll love it so much you will want to do what it takes to keep it looking nice.

hartleystudio
01-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Hartley... I think you might have to join us... :muah: Think about it, you'll have all of us supporting you... Well, we're mostly not starting till Feb 1, so you have plenty of time to think. And if you wait till Feb 15 or so, Artlady will probably be FINISHED and at least the rest of us will have had a chance to start making mistakes! :)

So sorry, my kids need me and if I'm carted off to the insane asylum who would make their chicken nuggets??? :roflhard: Thanks though!!

I'm not ready for sweaters. Every time I make something to wear it's devastating. They don't fit right and I'm impatient with the measurements. You'd think that, as a trained goldsmith, I would be so good at the little picky details, but no! Not with my knitting for some reason. I just bumble my way through stuff happy to be knitting. If I'm gonna knit something like this, I need no kids around, no snotty noses, no whining dogs, no husband, no distractions.

I'm gonna be watching you all and cheering you on though!!! Where on Ravelry is your group??? :cheering:

I can't wait to see what you all can do!

ArtLady1981
01-02-2009, 10:20 PM

Kim

Hi Kim!

Don't be discouraged! I haven't knit one stitch on this coat yet. I am making myself wait! I have knit my 4x4" swatch and I have printed my pattern. But I haven't even made my notebook yet either. I was working on Babette, John's Jacket, and a cloche in December. Now I am hosting (and knitting) the January KH-KAL Seamless Blanket. I am going to devote all my time and energy on it UNTIL Jan 30. Then I'll take a day or two to knuckle down on the SYLVI pattern preparations, etc. I won't cast on til Feb 1st. That's a promise.

So you have time to hunt for some non-wool, washable yarn.
Have you checked out www.Elann.com? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/www.Elann.com) They carry good yarns at very affordable closeout prices.

I will input your search on the Ravelry SYLVI group and see what the folks over there say.

Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

Karina
01-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Kim - have you thought about double stranding to get the right weight of wool. I am knitting a long cable cardigan at the moment using 2 strand of worsted weight acrylic/wool. I think it is similar to the plymouth encore 80%acrylic/20%wool. Here in the UK you can get it in 400g balls with around 900yards in each. using 7mm/11us?
Looks really good, feels a bit dense at the moment but I have done it before and know after a wash and tumble dry it softens right up. Just another option to think about. Try double stranding Caron simply soft or whatever washable yarn you have to hand and see how you go.
+

Karina
01-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Here is a photo of the finished sleeve in worsted weight wool double stranded.

GinnyG
01-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for posting that Artlady!! It does look adorable on her but I think I prefer the onger version.

tgwillis
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
double posted sorry

tgwillis
01-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Here are some photos of SYLVI by a Ravelry knitter.
Her Ravelry user name is "knits" and her personal name is Diana.
HERE (http://www.ravelry.com/people/knits) is a link to her Ravelry page...in case you are a Raveler and would like to learn more about her modifications. She is also a member of the Ravelry SYLVI group, which is where she posted her SYLVI.

She made a short length, and modified the cuffs as well.
I must say, I really like it, don't you?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/3160920114_368e9b31d6.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/3160919926_683a14181c.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/3160919824_0bb8122657.jpg?v=0

She is an adorable redhead, and this SYLVI cropped jacket suits her to a "T"! She lives in Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany!

I love what she did will the collar. Do you think her modifications would be to hard to follow for that portion. I would like to make the longer length but without the hood. Would most bulky weight yarn work?

laikabear
01-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Trisha, if you're on Ravelry you could pm Diana for more info. Her Ravelry name is "knits". :) She posted some details on the Sylvi KAL discussion group and I bet she would give you more if you need it.

I'm actually making a double stranded sweater right now (Stephanie Japel's Cozy V Neck Pullover from Fitted Knits) so I don't know why I didn't think of that! It is more of a pain to frog double stranded, but you just have to remember to NOT separate the yarn back onto individual balls if you have to frog. Keep it together like a plied yarn.

The Ravelry KAL is a "group." We have a badge and everything. If you want to join you can follow the link from my about me page. I'm Laikabear on Ravelry, too. :mrgreen:

tgwillis
01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Before I jump in with both feet, I have a toe in the water.Crossed Fingers What is the overall shape of this coat, is it straight or does in come in at the waste?

ArtLady1981
01-04-2009, 03:35 AM
It isn't a sack. But it doesn't 'come in' specifically in the waistline region.

The schematic for the BACK shows it to look like a swing coat.

The schematic shows the width of the BACK at the bottom-most edge (for the size small) to be 27". With gradual decreases worked from the bottom edge to the beginning of the raglan sleeves area...the BACK is reduced to just 17" is width.

The FRONT pieces are also the same gradual decrease in width from the bottom to the beginning of the raglan sleeve region: bottom edge is 14" width decreasing to just 9" at the sleeve region.

I hope this helps.

This coat will look good on a very slender woman, and it will still be flattering on a not-so-slender woman! It is a loose fit from bottom to armholes, but it isn't a shapeless sack.

ArtLady1981
01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I got a few suggestions for a bulky yarn from some of the nice Rav members in the SYLVI group:

Here are some of the comments, unedited:

"Well, I shudder to say it for this sweater anyway, but there are tons of bulky weight acrylics out there that would make this a much more affordable project, but without knowing the budget of the person (i.e., she wants to make the sweater for under $50, under $75, or under $100) itís hard to give specifics. Iíve been looking at Knitpicks Wool of the Andes bulky, and the price is good, but the color selection isnít as fabulous as the Briggs and Little. Iím actually having a hard time deciding on yarn and color to use myself, which is partially why I havenít started yet, and why I joined this group but have only been lurking."

"Iím planning on doing mine in Knitpicks Wool of the Andes Bulky, but Iím waiting for the Scuba colorway to come in. I wish the color selection were bigger, because Iím in LOVE with the idea of a green Sylvi but wasnít entirely thrilled with the ďemeraldĒ color (which I just used for a sweater). I was hoping for something more grassy, but need to keep this on the less-expensive side. For my size (the smallest) itís around $60. Though I may splurge and go with Cadena or Swish Bulky, depending on how taxes go."

"My partner is knitting this for me, due to gauging issues (as in I knit way too tight to create a decent fabric on this project) and got gauge with swish bulky on 10.5s with no real difficulty at all."

"There are something like 270 yarns that come up in the Ravelry Yarn Browser at the intersection of Bulky/Super Bulky/washable. I would recommend off the top of my head Cleckheaton Country 12 Ply (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/cleckheaton-natural-12-ply) (although Iíd check the machineability of that yarn), or Lambís Pride Bulky Superwash (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/brown-sheep-lambs-pride-superwash-bulky), or Knitpicks Swish Bulky (http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/knit-picks-swish-bulky)."

slugmom
01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Kim - have you thought about double stranding to get the right weight of wool. I am knitting a long cable cardigan at the moment using 2 strand of worsted weight acrylic/wool. I think it is similar to the plymouth encore 80%acrylic/20%wool. Here in the UK you can get it in 400g balls with around 900yards in each. using 7mm/11us?
Looks really good, feels a bit dense at the moment but I have done it before and know after a wash and tumble dry it softens right up. Just another option to think about. Try double stranding Caron simply soft or whatever washable yarn you have to hand and see how you go.
+

Karina - I had not considered that. I have no idea how to guess what I'd start with to get gauge, doubled, though. I guess I could play with some of the yarns in my stash and see what I get if I double them.

ArtLady - thanks for the suggestions and for taking the time to ask for me, I appreciate it. I'll check them out. I know I'm probably committing a breech of knittiquette to shy away from wool for something more washable ... :oops:

I do have a question .. the Swish superwash bulky that was mentioned says "Gauge: 3 - 3.75 sts = 1" on #10 - 11 needles"

The yarn I had (Bernat Softee Chunky) but sent back said Gauge: 15 sts - 20 rows = 4" and suggested needle size 10, which is what I used.

And comparing to the Suggested Biggs & Little yarn, which says:
14sts = 10cm(4") on 6mm needles -- that's why I thought the Bernat would work, the gauges were so similar ...

I'm concerned that I'd have the same gauge issue with the Swish Bulky, since it sounds very similar, also.

should I be looking for something in the 2.5 to 3 st. per inch range, instead?

And then, assuming I ever find something and decide to order, do I try to order the same yardage that it would've been with the recommended yarn?

My head is spinning before I even try to start the pattern! :passedout:

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
The SYLVI patterns says the seed stitch gauge swatch should measure 12 st = 4" width...with row gauge of 16 rows = 4" (not as critical...important, but not critical)

The Bernat Softee Chunky is 15 stitches and 20 rows = 4" and is just ever so slightly too lightweight to accomplish the SYLVI gauge.

I would buy any bulky/chunky yarn that is 3 st=1" aka 12 st=4"...and I'm sure you could manipulate your gauge by trying different needle sizes to get a seed stitch swatch to measure 12 st = 4" width.

I think that KNITPICKS Swish Bulky is trying to tell us that YOU CAN get a gauge of 12 st = 4" by using US11 needle...and you can get up to a gauge of 15 st = 4" using the US10 needle.

Some yarns just give one gauge option: 3st=1" (aka 12st=4") and of course, this removes all doubt. But even those yarns can be tweaked a bit by going up or down one needle size. You simply have to assess if you like the appearance of the stitch pattern when you manipulate the gauge swatch with other needle sizes.

You are being very conscientious about your gauge for this coat, and I want to commend you for that. It is better to think and re-think your yarn choice BEFORE launching into the project...than to frog an ill-fitting coat after the fact!

Don't be disheartened! You will find a yarn that is perfect.
I think Swish Bulky will work. Why don't you get one skein of it and give it a try? If it doesn't work out...there is enough yardage in one skein to make an outrageous hat! Like the UNORIGINAL HAT by Stephanie-Pearl McFee. It is a FREE PATTERN (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2007/11/06/an_unoriginal_hat.html) and I made one, too. It is super easy and takes one evening in front of the tube! :teehee: Gauge: 12 st = 4" or about that!

Here's hers:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2092/1891129295_5c2dba1c63.jpg

Here's mine:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/2734590664_e103d8c52a.jpg

evona
01-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I finally got my Cascade from WEBS :woohoo: :cheering: :woot: :yay:

ArtLady1981
01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
:woot:

Karina
01-08-2009, 05:22 AM
My order was shipped a couple of days ago. If they miss it in customs I will have it in about a week. If customs get a hold of the package it will be two weeks or more.

ArtLady1981
01-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Great! You will have it in time either way! :cheering:

slugmom
01-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I finally got my Cascade from WEBS :woohoo: :cheering: :woot: :yay:

Have you started your gauge swatch?

I just today received the Cascade 109 from WEBS that I ordered, and it's a gorgeous color (delphinium!) but it really doesn't look any thicker/chunkier than that Bernat Softee Chunky I returned. So I'm concerned I'll end up with the same issues with a more expensive yarn.

I guess I better knit myself a little swatch ...

evona
01-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Have you started your gauge swatch?

I just today received the Cascade 109 from WEBS that I ordered, and it's a gorgeous color (delphinium!) but it really doesn't look any thicker/chunkier than that Bernat Softee Chunky I returned. So I'm concerned I'll end up with the same issues with a more expensive yarn.

I guess I better knit myself a little swatch ...

Yep - knit and washed and blocked. Perfect gauge with 10.5.

slugmom
01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I was silly and ordered the circular needles in 10 because the pattern said so. I've got an interchangeable needle set but would've had to put two cables together to get the right length. Oh well, I guess if I end up needing 10.5's I can just pick up another, it's not like they won't get used ...

I guess I should knit it, I think I'm stalling because the project is so daunting.

ArtLady1981
01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
I know of several Ravelry knitters who are using Cascade 109 and haven't had any trouble getting the gauge. You'll do fine, too! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Here is a YOUTUBE video that was provided in the Sylvi KAL over at Rav. It is a Twist Collective Fashion Show...and the Sylvi is at the end of the 6 minute video. You can pull the button to the right to fast forward to Sylvi, being modeled in a size small.

My notes: look how big is appears in a size small...and look how LONG the sleeves are. Way to long IMHO.

_xR0s3_rKXU

Plantgoddess+
01-19-2009, 06:10 PM
It looks like it's a bit too big for her. But it's nice to see it on someone besides a model. It's great to see how it moves with someones body.
Thanks for the video.

laikabear
01-19-2009, 07:03 PM
I really liked the OTHER red sweater in the video! Another one for the queue...

Did anyone else think the Sylvi model was walking a little unsteadily? It looked to me like :clink: :teehee:

laikabear
01-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I got my Cascade 109 from Webs a few days ago. I finally wound up a ball and cast on for my gauge swatch. So far I like the way the yarn feels, and it doesn't seem itchy.

I originally ordered a light gray color, but then went back and ordered a winter white. Supposedly sale yarns are not returnable so now I have some bulky gray yarn in my stash. I hate that you can't get a color card!

It looks like I am getting about 12.5 - 13 sts to 4" with my size 11 needles. I don't have any bigger sizes with me (I'm at work) so I guess I'll try again when I get home. This seed stitch sure seems to eat up yarn. I hope the 17 skeins I have are enough.

I am still thinking about NOT doing a hood. I really liked Diana's green version. I want mine longer, but I liked her collar and the zipper in front. I didn't really like the most recent FO posted on the Rav board that had the buttons offset to the side.

Anyone else getting gauge with the 109? What size needles are you using? I'm a pretty tight knitter but isn't having to go up to a size 13 a little weird? Also not sure how much I want to knit with size 13 anyway. Won't it be cursed? I'm a bit superstitious. :teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Hi Maureen!

Keep tinkering with your gauge. For sure you want the stitch gauge (width) to be right on. However, from what I've read at Rav...everyone seems to have issues getting row gauge.

Row gauge isn't always critical, but when you are working a cable pattern, row gauge is at least important so that your details of the BACK end when they are supposed to.

A size 13 seems like it would make a rather holey seed stitch. If you've looked at the pattern photos, it already looks rather see-through. I've also heard that it stretches south when you're wearing it, from the sheer weight of the coat.

I dunno. I liked the little green cropped job, however, it looks like a little sister to SYLVI. I won't do the cropped version. But it suits her needs, and that's what counts.

I really like the zipper, too. I'll have to wrap my brain around it on Feb 1. I like the hood, but I like the collar. :eyes: I am going to knit the cuffs as per pattern. I had contemplated doing a revised sleeve, but heck, why? If it ain't broke, why fix it?

We'll have to make a decision regarding buttons with buttonholes VS zipper application when we knit the Right Side.
I will prolly do buttons. I've got some super buttons. Here is one of them on a different cream coat I knit last Spring. Still have some in my Stash. I just love them!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/2584904341_5e3f5678f6.jpg?v=0

ATTENTION ALL SYLVI-KAL KNITTERS:
I'll begin a fresh new thread for our SYLVI-KAL on February 1st. There are so many pages and posts in this preliminary thread. I think we can refer to this thread for reference complete with links to important posts.... however, I think a brand new SYLVI-KAL thread is best, don't you? Please voice your opinion, cuz mine isn't the only one.

GinnyG
01-20-2009, 06:00 AM
I think that is a great idea, I actually h ave been thinking for awhile that this should be moved to KAL. So when you are ready Artlady go right ahead. You are, after all, our fearless leader:happydance:

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok, GinnyG...will do. :thumbsup:

As long as it's ok with you, I think I'll launch the KAL today...so that others (who might want to join us) will have a 'heads-up' and they'll still have time to get their yarn.

Karina
01-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I am still waiting for my yarn. It is sitting in customs for sure. will probably be here next week, hopefully in time for me to sort out my swatch to get gauge.

evona
01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Laika, I got gauge with Cascade 109 with 10.5s