PDA

View Full Version : knitting with cat hair video

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSOh34982Vo&feature=bz303

Jan in CA
12-10-2008, 10:13 PM
That is too cool!!! I wish, wish, WISH I had saved the fur from Marshmallow (in avatar) over the years. She's 17.5 now so shaving her wouldn't be very nice as she gets cold easier and she's kinda slow and sleepy now. Great idea though I'd want a scarf! :lol:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2008, 10:20 PM
maybe you could just comb her a lot Jan... or shave her in June :)

LadyFirelyght
12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
That is awesome!

Why would using cat hair to make a handbag be creepy? It's fur! We use goose down, sheep fur, goat hair, horse hair, etc. in our everyday lives, so what's wrong with making your cat's leftover hair have a purpose?

MAmaDawn
12-10-2008, 11:19 PM
That is such a neat idea! LOVE it!

dairywife
12-11-2008, 11:20 AM
That is awesome!

Why would using cat hair to make a handbag be creepy? It's fur! We use goose down, sheep fur, goat hair, horse hair, etc. in our everyday lives, so what's wrong with making your cat's leftover hair have a purpose?

I completely agree....it isn't like the animal is giving their life for the bag. It is utilizing something that would normally be thrown out. To me no different than camel hair yarn or any other yarn made from animal hair. I wonder if the people that find it "creppy" know what the cashmere sweater they love is made of. Or their beloved angora scarf.

saracidaltendencies
12-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I seriously don't understand how anyone would find that creepy...And the idea of leather isn't creepy???

I think it's awesome...I mean if you're going to have your pet groomed anyway, might as well save the fur...It looks to be completely humane, and, talk about environmentally friendly!

MrsP
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
I think this is a GREAT Idea!!

I don't know why someone would think it was creepy! What is the difference between using cat hair and using rabbit or chinchilla or sheep??

If you are going to shave your cat anyway, you might as well make something beautiful with it!!

Marria
12-11-2008, 08:32 PM
This is great! :roflhard:

Of course, I'm always finding my cat's hair in my knitting, so...

I found a book once in a book store with information about spinning with dog hair. In that one though, it just talked about mixing the hair with wool. Still, who would want a sweater that smells like a wet dog after it rains? At least cats don't smell...:)

crocee
12-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Animal hair/fur all smells the same to me after its washed really well. I have a husky, a malamute, and a Pyrenees whom all shed copious amounts of fur. I have been saving it for the last couple months and now have a large bag full. I am going to attempt to learn to spin it into yarn this next fall/winter as my winter time project. I also have goats but I don't know if their hair is worth messing with since their not actually hair goats.
Andi

shelluie
12-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for sharing that video! I have a shi tzu who is 13 and sadly probably won't be around for too many more years...I would LOVE to have a keep sake of him. I wonder if my groomer would safe his fur for me next time I get him shaved???

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-13-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm TOTALLY sure the groomer will, just ask!
I think its time for all of us pet owners to start learning how to spin!

saracidaltendencies
12-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Indeed! With the amount of animal fur I vacuum every day, I'd probably have so much I'd never have to purchase yarn again! :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-13-2008, 01:02 AM
I VOTE WE ALL STOP BUYING YARN!!!!!!!!!

uhm, wait a sec... nvm. :shifty:

cheley
12-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I VOTE WE ALL STOP BUYING YARN!!!!!!!!!

uhm, wait a sec... nvm. :shifty: Thanks for the video...

Koehnae
12-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I love it. With two Siberians roaming my house, I'm sure I vacuum and/or comb up enough to make a tote or two every week! I wonder what their fur would knit up like?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/3104080741_691dabec90_m.jpg

Family vote on the weirdness of this...

Eww: Fiance, sister, Grams

Cool: Me, Mom

Votes that changed when I reminded everyone of what leather is...

Fiance, sister, Grams

:teehee:

Kinnexa
12-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Not creepy at all! Much nicer than having a bag made of dead cow...! I have saved locks of fur from all my dearly departed kitties and plan to turn them into some sort of framed keepsake or whatnot.

My cats are all shorthairs except for my avatar, vanBuskirk. Still, I have kitty fiber in everything I knit! (also everything I wear, everything I eat...you get the idea.)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Cat hair is a condiment in my house... and I haven't lived with mine for 4 months!

mwhite
12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Indeed! With the amount of animal fur I vacuum every day, I'd probably have so much I'd never have to purchase yarn again! :teehee:

OMG, my vacuum is full of it! We have 6 cats, one is a solid white shorthair and sheds as much as the two long hairs! I could eliminate all the combing! Told hubby not to say a word if he comes home one day and has naked cats! LOL!

mwhite
12-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Still, I have kitty fiber in everything I knit! (also everything I wear, everything I eat...you get the idea.)

No joke! We were discussing the "pfffting" (spitting cat hair),we all do in the mornings when we first wake up! Just walk in with a black pair of slacks on, head to the spinning wheel and take off! Even the dog has cat hair! :teehee:

Jenelle
12-15-2008, 11:33 PM
With our four cats and two dogs, I vacuum up enough hair to create at least three more cats. :teehee:

Too bad all my cats are short haired. :sad:

crazykntter83
12-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Wow, I think that's a really awesome idea. I have 6 cats and a dog, and with all that hair combined, I could probably knit or crochet up some sort of blanket LOL. I honestly don't see what's so "gross" about it. We all have something made out of some of kind of animal fiber, if we stop to think about it. I think that it's a very good idea, and very enviornmentally friendly.

ElviraJoy
02-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Hi
I have 2 beautifull longhair cats, and that hair everywhere was a real headache So here are some tips i used to get rid of it and keep my home clean=)

1 Brushing your cat regularly helps take care of the cat hair problem before it becomes a problem

2 High quality cat food helps reduce shedding A catís skin and coat are easily affected by the animalís diet, so a high quality cat food can make your catís skin less dry and therefore less prone to excess shedding

3 Sweeping or vacuuming regularly is the best way to reduce cat hair in your home Once the hair leaves the cat, the best way to rid yourself of it is with a vacuum cleaner, a broom, and a dust rag

4 A clothes dryer can remove a lot of cat hair from your clothes and blankets Whenever you wash your clothes or blankets, put them in the dryer if the care instructions permit it

5 A lint brush is good for spot-removing cat hair from furniture and clothes Between laundry days and vacuuming days, you can spot-remove cat hair from clothes and furniture using either a specially-designed tool or a household object adapted to remove hair

More tips You can find on my page removepethair blogspot com/2010/01/getting-rid-of-cat-hair html]removepethair blogspot com/2010/01/getting-rid-of-cat-hair html

AngelaR
02-25-2010, 07:50 AM
As others have said, we use sheep wool, goat hair, rabbit hair, etc to make yarn out of, why not cat or dog hair. I know that when my German Shepherd blows her coat twice a year that I could have enough to make a few sweaters from one Furminating each day.

N0obKnitter
02-25-2010, 11:39 AM
My GSD/Siberian sheds like a Hyena...one could knit another dog with the amount of fur he sheds.