PDA

View Full Version : Hat too big!

sarahd77
12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello knitters!

I recently knit a hat and it seems too big. I'm wondering if there is any way to reduce the size. Does it ever work to cut out some of the hat and sew the pieces together with a sewing machine? Just a thought.

Thanks!

Sarah:muah:

Jaxhil
12-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, that would probably work, though I find sewing hand knit items on a sewing machine somewhat difficult.

However, if it was knit in wool, you can wash it in warm/hot water (in a washing machine) and *shrink* it quite quickly (its called felting, and makes the hat warmer as well!). Now, you would have to watch it carefully, so as not to over-shrink it. Then you'd just dry it over something round or head shaped to finish. I have shrunk hats accidentally this way myself, and they both were given to my youngest and fit her fine :teehee:

Hope that helps!

saracidaltendencies
12-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I know there's a process called steeking which involves using a sewing machine to secure the area to be cut as to not ruin your work, but, I don't know enough about it and I'm still not brave enough to attempt it...haha...I'm sure someone here will be able to tell ya better!

vaknitter
12-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I would probably just start over - frog this hat and cast on with few stitches. My husband always says that if I just knit things once I would get a lot more projects done : ) Best of Luck

sarahd77
12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! :thumbsup:

It is wool, so I'll wash and dry it and see if I can shrink it a bit. Great idea..:)

And I'll probably try again too - I"m making hats for people for Christmas, so I'll have more opportunities to get this right...:)

Jan in CA
12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
If it's superwash wool washing probably won't do anything.

I think I'd probably call it lesson learned and start a new one either frogging that one or just starting with new yarn and donate that to someone with a bigger head. :teehee:

sorifes
12-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I made a hat to big for a kid not long ago but I put ribbing on it so the hat can cleverly be folded up and look yanno like it's supposed to be that. You could just do it that way, little lazy but who's gonna know but you?:teehee:

TEMA
12-18-2008, 12:57 AM
When I make a hat that's too big, I usually just redesign it... maybe by turning the rim up and sewing it down or folding the extra with a pretty broach to hold it in place... whatever design idea you can come up with, what have you got to lose...
TEMA:knitting: