PDA

View Full Version : I've been knitting for an hour,

Ronda
12-14-2008, 08:41 PM
but I've made ZERO progress in this never-ending scarf I'm making for my son (who's very anxious to get it). Every row I've knit, I've had to frog. Seriously, I'm no farther along now than when I started an hour (or more) ago.

So I'm taking a break...

mhansen
12-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Been there done that. But you will get somewhere pretty soon.

WandaT
12-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Yup, I've been there done that too. Don't give up. Believe it or not, you're learning through all of this frogging.

ecb
12-14-2008, 08:44 PM
what pattern did U use?
maybe we can help

Marria
12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Do you have another project you can work on for awhile? I usually keep two or three projects going, with at least one of them being really simple, so when the other project(s) are making me want to stab myself with my own double-points, I can work on the easier one for awhile. Sometimes, just putting the one that's giving you trouble down for awhile makes it easier when you get back to it. But at any rate, I feel your pain. :hug:

Rusty1224
12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I'm new to knitting. What does it mean to "frog"?

RuthieinMaryland
12-14-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm new to knitting. What does it mean to "frog"?

Hi! :waving:

When you've got a lot of stitches to pull out, you slip the piece off the needles and "rip it, rip it, rip it"! That's where the term "froging" comes from. :)

Tinking, on the other hand, is "knit" spelled backwards and that's when you "un-knit" a row or part of a row backwards without pulling the stitches off the needle.

Might as well learn these important terms right off!

Have fun!

Ruthie :hug:

Jan in CA
12-14-2008, 11:18 PM
but I've made ZERO progress in this never-ending scarf I'm making for my son (who's very anxious to get it). Every row I've knit, I've had to frog. Seriously, I'm no farther along now than when I started an hour (or more) ago.

So I'm taking a break...

This is the reason I haven't done many scarves. They are just too long and boring!

suzeeq
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
When I make scarves, I generally make them in a lacy or interesting pattern (like entrelac or a mobius) or on large needles.

luvmykid28
12-15-2008, 01:50 AM
Do you have another project you can work on for awhile? I usually keep two or three projects going, with at least one of them being really simple, so when the other project(s) are making me want to stab myself with my own double-points, I can work on the easier one for awhile. Sometimes, just putting the one that's giving you trouble down for awhile makes it easier when you get back to it. But at any rate, I feel your pain. :hug:

Yep, I second this. Put it down and work on something else, or go do something else in the house. Take your mind off that frog.:frog: :hair:

Ronda
12-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'm back on track this morning. Lesson learned: I can't watch Pittsburgh Steelers and knit at the same time!

dairywife
12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
That was a good game.....no wonder you had to frog your knitting.

GinnyG
12-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Well, I don't want to make light of your problem but when it comes to knitting an hour is NOTHING. Yesterday after knitting most of the day on a Norwegian patterned hat I discovered an error in the first few rows that I couldn't live with so I frogged about 8 hours worth of knitting. I've had to frog DAYS worth of work.

Knitting is about the process and you need to just take it one stitch at a time.

tokmom
12-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Glad you are back on track. It's so frustrating to frog.