PDA

View Full Version : FO: DISHCLOTH SCRUBBIE! l LOVE IT!

ArtLady1981
12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Well, thanks to all the helpful KH knitters, I found 3" nylon netting (http://www.knitsandbitsbylinda.com/Scrubbers.html) to knit together with one strand of Sugar 'n' Cream cotton. BTW: I ordered the 3" spools of netting on Wed, Dec 10th...and it delivered today, Monday Dec 15th. Oooo-rah! (She also takes PayPal, which I prefer.)

Cast on 12 st with US11. Garter st for 12 ridges. Bind off.
Weave ends through side edges with a crochet hook.
4"x4" dishcloth. Absorbent...holds soap and water...and scratchy enough for dried egg on a plate!

I might try two strands of cotton with the netting on the next one, just as a trial.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/3110761053_98665e9a23.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/3110761889_0f534b47e7.jpg?v=0

Kind of "couch" the cotton inside the netting.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/3111595334_849010d4f9.jpg?v=0

GrandmaLori
12-15-2008, 05:12 PM
So did you use that full width of the netting or cut it into strips? I'm going to make some of these!

Jan in CA
12-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Nice! They look like they'd be great!

I'm going to have to get some of that when they open again! Did you use the entire width of the netting? And did you fold it over the yarn the whole time or just let it fall where it may?

Jaxhil
12-15-2008, 07:38 PM
That is really cool!! I was thinking it would be a more complicated scrubbie, but that looks really simple (and REALLY useful, too :) )

Great job! Now I want one :mrgreen:

sgtpam
12-15-2008, 08:35 PM
So did you use that full width of the netting or cut it into strips?

That would be really good to know. I bought some of the netting material at HL, so it's not in strips and I'll have to cut it to size.

THANKS for sharing and the pics! I've been wanting to do these for a month now, but wasn't sure where to start...........now I do! Well............I will once you share this one last secret (how wide) :teehee:

bambi
12-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Cool! What a great idea!

Bambi

ArtLady1981
12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Scrubbie #1: single cotton with 3" netting.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/3110761053_98665e9a23.jpg?v=0

SCRUBBIE #2: Double cotton strands w/ 3" netting. Cast off after 8 ridges.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3057/3111608115_a891a24c30.jpg?v=0

SCRUBBIE #3: Same construction as blue:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/3112439578_2566f3ff72.jpg?v=0

SCRUBBIE #4: White single strand cotton with 1-1/2" netting (cut lengthwise off the spool and wind into loosish balls> cast on 16 st and bind off after 11 ridges:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/3111607089_90c8e58f3b.jpg?v=0

So here is my final assessment after testing this scrubbie thing:

Double strand cotton is unnecesary and 3" width netting is overboard. You don't need the full 3" width for the scrubbie to be very effective. And besides that, the blue and tan scrubbies are very dense. They are not overly large so they will work nicely, but they were a waste of materials...AND knitting with 3" width netting makes the process of knitting VERY hard. It takes a lot more hand muscle to work the stitches. My right hand is killing me. (conversely, I knit the entire BACK for the "BABETTE" cardigan yesterday...double moss stitch throughout using Rowan Cocoon yarn...and my hands didn't hurt one bit!)

To summarize:
1) single strand cotton held together with 1-1/2" netting
2) cast on 16 st and work 11 ridges, then bind off

This ^ is a good recipe. My materials will go twice as far!
And the scrubbie is the right size for a woman's hand, and for putting inside of a coffee-stained mug, etc.

I've been using my first version (square, white) all evening long as I was getting dinner ready. I like to clean up certain utensils as I go, etc...things that don't go in the dishwasher. Anyhoo, I would be lost without it now. It is superior to a sponge with a scratchy side because it won't retain bacteria like sponges do...and the scrubbie releases the water and dries out rather quickly. It can be washed in the washing machine ,on hot, right along with all the other kitchen towels, etc.

I used up all my white netting. I'll get more of that later.
I've got kelly green, royal blue and lemon yellow to use with a cone of white cotton. And I'll also use the royal blue netting on some french blue cotton.

Does lemon yellow netting withstand a cup of bleach in the washing machine process? Will it bleach out, or will it retain the color? :??

Oh, yeah...doh...why not go put a put of diluted bleach on a bit of yellow netting? :doh:

Will report back! :roflhard:

Jan in CA
12-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the info! I will look for the netting locally and if I can't find it I'll order it after Christmas.

Does anyone know what department it would be in? :think:

ArtLady1981
12-16-2008, 02:29 AM
Fabric department. :thumbsup:

KnittingNat
12-16-2008, 03:00 AM
These look great!:thumbsup:

Karina
12-16-2008, 03:19 AM
Artlady - I just love your thoroughness. your sheer determination to know the outcome from every possible angel. So Brilliant.

I have never been interested to knit dishcloths as I always thought all that work would be wasted (and ruined) by doing dishes. so I have always made them into washcloths. But these little scrubbies has peeked my interest and I will have to see if I can get the nylon on a roll over here. How many yards/meters is on a roll?

Jaxhil
12-16-2008, 07:53 AM
:muah::hug:

Thanks so much for all this info!! My boys are in charge of doing the dishes these days (yah!!:teehee:) and they just LOVE sponges-I of course do NOT. These are a perfect solution! I can make up a bunch of these and they can scrub everything to their hearts' content, and I can throw them in the wash-hooray!

:thumbsup:thanks again, great info!! Now I need to find some netting :mrgreen:

dustinac
12-16-2008, 09:22 AM
:yay: How cool...they look great

margz3
12-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for doing the testing! Must now get some nylon netting......Love the re-usable aspect - I generally use dishcloths to hand wash, instead of sponges, but sometimes it helps to have the extra scrubbing power and I don't like using the 2 sides sponges either!

sakura-panda
12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the update! I especially appreciate the photos and all the trials you shared! :)

I have a spool of tulle at home, but this looks like it is a a coarser mesh, so my tulle probably wouldn't work as well, would it? :think: Hmm, apparently I need to run to the store. :lol:

Are all of your colors from using white cotton and colored netting or was some of the yarn colored as well? I'm kind of curious about how much of the netting shows through. I have a green/blue/while skein of cotton at home and I'm wondering which is going to show more or if it comes out equal.

mimi
12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Thank you once again, ArtLady, for trailblazing this pattern for all of us. These are going to make wonderful stocking stuffers for my daughter and daughter-in-law, and I think I will put some in my son's stocking and son-in-law's stocking as well, so as to be gender-impartial as to housework delegation ( And to be a good mother-in-law!)

Is tulle the same thing as nylon netting?

Woodi
12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Very Kewl! What a great idea, thanks for sharing this.

Spikey
12-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I've also made a few of these, using the 3" netting cut into 1" strips and held with one strand of cotton. These seem to have quite good scrubbing power.

This is a white, blue and yellow variegated cotton with the teal netting, in a mini version of Grandma's dishcloth, for a little variety.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/3113887468_36ac147002_m.jpg

The Christmas colors with the gold strand running through made really adorable little trees. I used the white netting.

(sorry about the pics, they are from the phone)

sgtpam
12-16-2008, 01:50 PM
The Christmas colors with the gold strand running through made really adorable little trees. I used the white netting.

I used the Christmas yarn for some dishcloths and the colors ran when I used it! Turned it pink.:cry:

Anyone know how to "set" the color so it doesn't run when it gets wet? Mom said she used to use "Biz"; I remember Biz, but I don't have any...any other suggestions/secrets?:psst:

Quietheart
12-17-2008, 09:16 AM
I ordered some spools of netting just the other day, the service was amazing and I can't wait to try it.
Thank you for all the testing!

Hugs
Kath

MrsP
12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey Jan!!

I wonder if Tulle would work as well? Or if the mesh would be too fine??

I bought spools of tulle for my brother-in-law's wedding last year at Walmart - they were in the craft/wedding section and were like 6 inch spools. I am thinking that if you had a sharp scalpel or exacto knife blade, then you might be able to cut the strips right on the spool. I can't remember how expensive they were, but I don't think they were over $5.00 each. If I get out to Walmart today, I will check and report back!!!

Spikey
12-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I cut my netting right on the spool, with my electric carving knife, leaving the plastic overwrap on to keep the uncut sections tidy.

Jan in CA
12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey Jan!!
I wonder if Tulle would work as well? Or if the mesh would be too fine??

Hey backatcha! :teehee:
I would think it would work, it just might not be as sturdy as the other, but I don't know since I haven't used either one.

I have a quilting board and rotary cutter that I've been using for wrapping paper and I bet it would work great great for the netting!

robkat317
12-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Thank you ArtLady, for posting about your trials. I too ordered the netting after reading the original post. I received my spools on Monday and wondered if I should use the whole 3" or cut it in half. Thanks to you, I don't need to wonder anymore!!

Thanks so much, I will be knitting up a bunch of these to givve to the ladies I work with!!

GinnyG
12-17-2008, 07:53 PM
I cut my netting right on the spool, with my electric carving knife, leaving the plastic overwrap on to keep the uncut sections tidy.

I've been making these for years (must have missed this post) and that is what I do. I also just knit with the netting, no cotton.

ArtLady1981
12-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Artlady - I just love your thoroughness. your sheer determination to know the outcome from every possible angel. So Brilliant.

I have never been interested to knit dishcloths as I always thought all that work would be wasted (and ruined) by doing dishes. so I have always made them into washcloths. But these little scrubbies has peeked my interest and I will have to see if I can get the nylon on a roll over here. How many yards/meters is on a roll?

Each spool has 40 yards...3" width...but if you cut the strips lengthwise...you will have 80 yards at 1-1/2" width.

This will make 7 scrubbies using my pattern:
Using 1 strand of Sugar 'n' Cream cotton and 1 strip of netting, held together: US 11>cast on 16 st>work 11 garter ridges>bind off.

I really love my scrubbie! Shees! It really works! Even for getting dried gravy off the stove!

ArtLady1981
12-18-2008, 09:08 AM
PS: I use the cotton along with the netting cuz I read that it holds the dishsoap better.

mimi
12-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I tried 3 arts and crafts stores (JoAnns, Michaels, AC Moore) and WalMart,but nobody has the netting, and the website advises she is not mailing out until mid-January, so out of sheer desperation, and because I wanted to put these in Christmas stockings, I am using fishing line! It is not as thick as I wanted, and I may abandon the project after all.

Jan in CA
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Mimi, you can get nylon netting in regular yardage and then cut it to size yourself.

I don't know if this is the proper kind w/o actually looking at it, but you get the idea.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2962&PRODID=prd7200

sakura-panda
12-18-2008, 11:32 AM
They are on ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/seasonal-decorator_Nylon-Net_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ18609153QQftidZ2QQtZkm) too -- $4.25 per 6" x 40 yard spool and I think $3 shipping.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to ask what the shipping would be on more than one spool and then decided I should wait until I checked the local stores first.

At the rate I'm going, it will be January before I have time to try this anyway. ;)

PamJ
12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
These are great! Dobies are getting very expensive!
If you cut your own strips of netting, would you need to buy so many yards in order to get the right length with no joins? Artlady, approximately how many yards of net for one scrubbie??? Or could you tightly knot 2 strips of net, if needed? Length is a big advantage with the spools!

ArtLady1981
12-18-2008, 12:12 PM
These are great! Dobies are getting very expensive!
If you cut your own strips of netting, would you need to buy so many yards in order to get the right length with no joins? Artlady, approximately how many yards of net for one scrubbie??? Or could you tightly knot 2 strips of net, if needed? Length is a big advantage with the spools!

A 40 yard spool, split lengthwise to make 80 yards, will make 6 scrubbies. This is with Sugar 'n' Cream used with it.

Karina
12-18-2008, 12:50 PM
I just received 2 meters of nylon netting that I bought off of eBay. not sure if it is the right kind but have cut a couple of strips of 1.5-2 inch width along the length. will make one and see how it works.

ArtLady1981
12-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I just received 2 meters of nylon netting that I bought off of eBay. not sure if it is the right kind but have cut a couple of strips of 1.5-2 inch width along the length. will make one and see how it works.

It will be perfect. Just knot the ends real tight and snip off the excess down to the knot. The knots won't show up when the scrubbie is done!

Hygiene Mama
12-20-2008, 09:56 PM
I love crocheted scrubbies! My sister picked some up for me at a craft show, one side was knit with the scrubbie stuff and the other side was cotton. I only wish I could crochet. Maybe I'll just have to knit them as well. Thank you for the link to the website too!

Marria
12-20-2008, 10:31 PM
That's very clever! Love it. :)

ArtLady1981
01-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Here is a blue scrubbie shown with a pawprint dishcloth. BTW, the colored nylon netting is colorfast. You can bleach the tar out of it to remove coffee stains and it will retain full brilliant color!

I decided I like the rectangle Srubbie best.

Using 1 strand of Sugar 'n' Cream cotton and 1.5" strip of netting, held together: US 11>cast on 16 st>work 11 garter ridges>bind off.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/3226201012_f21718b983.jpg

Phaedra
01-30-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought I'd check out a local dollar store----bingo! Rolls of nylon tulle, many colors to choose from, 6-inch wide, 25 yards--1 dollar each!
I hope to start one tonight. Thanks Artlady!

Phaedra
01-30-2009, 08:59 PM
This is what I got: green, brown, blue, yellow, and pink. There were several other colors there. So please check out the "dollar" stores.

Jan in CA
02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I just ordered some spools in hot pink, aqua and sage green! I hope it gets here as fast as yours did Dollyce! :yay:

saracidaltendencies
02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
They're awesome! I may have to go that route, I go through sponges like crazy, and, I don't like the fact the sponges aren't "scrubby" lol.

ArtLady1981
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I ordered 4 white, 1 emerald, 1 red, 1 periwinkle, 1 maize,
2 lime, 1 cotillion blue and 1 butter last night!

Her daugther has a website, too, it's new...and her daughter Jill carries colors that momma (Linda) doesn't. Linda has a link to her daugther's website. She sent me an email asking me to promote her daughter's website!

It's called the Tulle Shed (http://www.tulle-shed.com/)! Cute! Same prices!

I included a note in Jill's order, and asked if she had any white, because I didn't see any white here or at her mom's site.
I guess she called mom right away, and mom emailed me that she did in fact have white. She gave me a link, and lo&behold, I had been looking on the wrong page! She had oodles of colors that I hadn't seen before. Doh.

I sold those 7 SCRUBBIES today. $2.50 each. :yay:

BTW, as you know...the netting is 3" wide and you don't need that full width. My DH cuts it in half with Japanese fine tooth finishing saw. I've heard that some folks saw it in half with an electric knife.

GirlChris
02-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Cool, I can see what everyone will be getting for Christmas around here. LOL :wink:

Spikey
02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow! $2.50 each! And here I've been giving them away! :teehee:

I've been making them in sets of three (same color netting, different cotton or vice versa), and wrapping them up with a nice bottle of dishwashing liquid, for holiday or hostess gifts.

A set like that could probably sell for about $12. I use wine bottle gift bags and tie the scrubbies in a little bundle with ribbon or raffia.

btw - my electric carving knife works really well for cutting the spool into thirds. Makes more scrubbies per spool and the 1" strips seem to work really well, the only other difference is that I use a US9 or 10. :shrug:

Jan in CA
02-06-2009, 02:27 PM
btw - my electric carving knife works really well for cutting the spool into thirds.

Great idea, thanks!:thumbsup:

Phaedra
02-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I have neither an electric knife nor a fine saw. So, I have been my DS's kiddie scissors. I just cut away while watching/listening to the TV. I cut until I think it's enough, then cut some more.
When I knit, if the netting is running short, I knot on a new strip and knit the ends into the piece. When I'm done, I give the scrubbie a good tug in all directions and trim any stray ends.
So far, from one 25-yard, 6-inch wide roll of nylon tulle netting (cut 4 times into 1 1/2 widths), I've made 8 scrubbies. Not bad for $1.00
And I've had the Sugar n' Cream in the stash (to make wash cloths). But this is much more fun!

ArtLady1981
02-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey there! I was cooking dinner tonight, meat and baked potatoes...and I remembered another thing I use a SCRUBBIE for! You guessed it!

I keep a special SCRUBBIE set aside for washing the dirt and eyes off of baker spuds, and also, for taking the hairy things off of fresh long carrots!

What's so nice is that the scrubbie fits my entire palm and I wrap my scrubbie-ized hand around the spud and twist and shout!

:roflhard:

It really does a fantastic job! Quick, too.

You should see all the dirt in the scrubbie after the twist and shout routine!

:roflhard: Oh I crack myself up.

Phaedra
02-06-2009, 10:20 PM
That's a very cool idea!

knitcindy
02-06-2009, 10:30 PM
I LOVE how these scrubbies look. I have a question about the Sugar -n- Cream cotton. Where do you buy the cones of that? Do they sell the cones at places like A C Moore and Michaels??
Would I be able to use any type of 100% cotton yarn? Thanks again for all your experiments/photos!! I can't wait to get started!
knitcindy

sgtpam
02-06-2009, 10:33 PM
I LOVE how these scrubbies look. I have a question about the Sugar -n- Cream cotton. Where do you buy the cones of that? Do they sell the cones at places like A C Moore and Michaels??
Would I be able to use any type of 100% cotton yarn? Thanks again for all your experiments/photos!! I can't wait to get started!
knitcindy

I get mine at Joanne's...with a 40% off coupon (I wait till I have one from either HL or Joanne's), it's usually about $10.00. HL has it too.

ArtLady1981
02-06-2009, 11:49 PM
I bought mine at Herrschners.com awhile back.

Lily Sugar 'n Cream Yarn CONE (http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=010154)

Jan in CA
02-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Would I be able to use any type of 100% cotton yarn?

Dishcloth cottons like Sugar and Cream, Peaches and Cream, Lion Cotton, and yarns like that are best. Any cotton would work, but you want an inexpensive workhorse type cotton over a soft garment cotton for durability. :thumbsup:

knitandpurl520
02-07-2009, 09:28 AM
That's such a cool idea! I'm thinking about making one for dishwashing, because dishcloths can get kinda dirty, but also work well. I'm not really understanding the whole "knitting with netting", if you could explain this a little bit more, that'd be great.

Thanks!

NoGrinchHere
02-14-2009, 03:48 PM
knitcindy
In addition to Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's I've also seen the cones at Walmart.

knitcindy
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks to all for your hints/tips. I will be looking at Walmart and Dollar Tree for the netting/cotton!!!

Sounds like fun!
knitcindy

Songbirdy
02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
I loved reading this thread and had to try my hand at scrubbies the other night. Since I didn't have the tulle on hand, I used Phentex 'craft' crap... Its the stuff I use in slippers. It is a bit of a 'shudder' to work with it, but I've been using it on my pots and pans, sink and hard water stains, and various places for about 1 week now and I'm guessing it works just as well as the tulle.

Love them, love the scrubbies!

[just added this because some might not be able to get the tulle, since I have this stuff, I'm going to stick with it because it also works really well]

ArtLady1981
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
IMHO, the scratchier and crappier the netting the better!

It is a "shudder" to work with :teehee: but it really works best for the Scrubbies!

edensmomma
02-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Neato! I want to try to make some of these.:inlove:

Woodi
02-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a question: has anyone actually scrubbed a dirty pan with one of these, and then tried to wash it off? (the scrubbie, I mean). Does the scrubbie come clean as a whistle, or does food stay trapped in it? I can picture scrambled egg....

ArtLady1981
02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I know what you mean, Woodi. Yes, I've scrubbed everything, icky frying pans, scrambled egg pans, etc. Yes, the food does get trapped a little. But when that happens, I pour a 3" sink of water and swish the scrubbie around to remove the food. It works fine. If the food got in, the food can get out.

Also, another thing, you can toss it in the washer with a load that's ready to go. :thumbsup:

MrsP
02-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey! I thought I would throw my experience out to share! :-)

I Love Love LOVE these scrubbies!! They clean everything!! I wash them in the washing machine all the time and haven't had an issue with food getting stuck in - at least stuck in and not coming out! :-) I am on a really tight budget right now, so I got the Sugar N Spice at Michael's on sale for like 1.56 and I bought my netting at Walmart off the bold in the fabric department for only .77 a yard. Then I cut it with a rotary cutter. It takes me 4 strips cut width ways to make one scrubbie. I agree - they do make you want shudder when you are making them. I can only do one at a time, but over all it is pretty quick and easy and so useful!!! :-)

ArtLady1981
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for your input, MrsP! :thumbsup:

gotta knit
02-26-2009, 08:53 PM
These are such a great idea!
Glad to hear how well they come clean too, that would be my concern.

ArtLady1981
02-26-2009, 09:32 PM
The primary reason that I use white Sugar 'n Cream cotton is so that I can bleach my scrubbies to take out stains and any bacteria. I will frequently spritz my scrubbie pretty darn good with Clorox Cleanup, which has bleach in it. You can't do that with sponges. Then, in about a week, I toss it in with a load of whites and use a new scrubbie for the next week.

MrsP
02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
That's such a cool idea! I'm thinking about making one for dishwashing, because dishcloths can get kinda dirty, but also work well. I'm not really understanding the whole "knitting with netting", if you could explain this a little bit more, that'd be great.

Hi knitandpurl520! I wasn't sure if anyone answered your question about knitting with netting - basically all you do it cut your netting into strips (I followed the suggestion of 1 1/2 inch wide strips) and you hold the netting strip along with your strand of yarn - and you cast on and knit the two together just like normal. I scrunch my netting around the yarn to make it thinner and easier to work with. And, I have found that the yarn/netting combo doesn't flow through your fingers, so I just hold it between my thumb and first finger (I knit English style).

I hope this helps! :-)

Gertie
03-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I clean my scrubbies (without cotton yarn) in the dishwasher.

BTW They're sold at a local flea market for $2.25 each. They sell well.

ArtLady1981
03-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Hey, that's a good idea Gertie! I might try my scrubbie in the dishwasher tonight! Definitely sanitized!

Shandeh
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Cool! I'll definitely be making some of these. :thumbsup:

Phaedra
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I had made a few last month and gave them out at work; my name came up this past weekend and one of my co-workers called me at home to relay a conversation/message from her son-in-law.
" Is that the lady who made that scrub-thing? It cleans the h*** off of everything!" :aww: :teehee:

ArtLady1981
03-11-2009, 07:17 AM
:teehee:

Gertie
03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
How sweet - in its own way.

Good for you!

knitcindy
05-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks to all the posters here and their helpfulness, I FINALLY got to make some of these!!!!!!!

I bought the tulle and yarn from A C Moore, although my tulle has smaller holes in it. I think mine came out great. My rolls of tulle were 6", so I had to cut it into 4 sections with my electric carving knife.

Hope someone else has been able to start making these too!! I'm excited about making more!

knitcindy

ArtLady1981
05-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Way to go Cindy! Welcome to the Scrubbies Club! :hug:

We're taking a day trip tomorrow, and I'm bringing GUESS WHAT project!? Yup! My bag of cottons and my bag of netting!

Nice easy simple projects!

wezyus
05-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Nice projects ...kip it up n gud lucks

Vertigo1414
05-25-2009, 08:37 PM
i finally got to the store yesterday and got some yarn, and ordered the netting to make some of these...i just hope the mail comes fast.

knitcindy
05-28-2009, 05:16 PM
My only 'trouble' with these is that most of the time the yarn doesn't stay inside the tulle very well while I'm knitting. I start out with it nicely tucked inside the fold of the tulle, but sooner or later it sneaks out.

So, I don't know how much of an actual 'scrubbie' mine have turned out to be. But I keep trying!

knitcindy

ArtLady1981
05-28-2009, 08:28 PM
My only 'trouble' with these is that most of the time the yarn doesn't stay inside the tulle very well while I'm knitting. I start out with it nicely tucked inside the fold of the tulle, but sooner or later it sneaks out.

So, I don't know how much of an actual 'scrubbie' mine have turned out to be. But I keep trying!

knitcindy

Mine never does either, Cindy, but it doesn't' affect the scrubbie's performance at all! I gave up trying to manage the netting, and just roll with the flow!

Jan in CA
05-28-2009, 08:54 PM

I fold it inside for about 9-12 inches and knit with that, then fold it again and knit, etc. I wind it round my fingers a bit. All my yarn is inside the netting on my scrubbies. Sure it takes a tad longer, but they are small and worth the effort. I love them!

sakura-panda
05-29-2009, 03:05 PM
I tried the fold-in method, but eventually gave up and just knitted the two together. I have to say it was a miserable experience all around, but I'm going to weave in the ends, wash it, and see how it comes out. :)

One mistake I made was to make it a little bigger -- I wanted more of a scrubbie cloth that a scrubbie sponge -- and it took forever to finish. Also, I never was able to get the tension loose enough for it to be a comfortable knit and I struggled with finding the loops and using my finger to push the needle through. I think the last two or three rows went smoothly with no finger pushing, but it was pretty painful -- literally and figuratively -- until then.

I'll post a pic after I weave in the ends. I've crammed it to the bottom of my bag for now so I can pretend it doesn't exist. :blush: (My index finger tingles just thinking about it! :eyes: )

sakura-panda
05-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I also wanted to mention that I did order from Linda and the customer service is amazing! :thumbsup: It was a fantastic experience.

I wonder if she knows about all the praise and referrals she's been getting here? :)

Jan in CA
05-29-2009, 04:10 PM
I wanted a smaller one so I cast on 13 and knit for 9 or 10 ridges and use size 10 needles.

It's hard on the hands for sure, but that's the nature of the beast.

ArtLady1981
05-29-2009, 06:27 PM
I cast on 16 st with a US11, and knit 11 ridges.

It is a hard little thing to knit, not head-wise, but hand-wise.
Working the stitches takes a lot of hand 'muscle'!

knitcindy
05-30-2009, 08:55 AM
I found more cotton yarn at Walmart on a cone!!!! And a couple of rolls of tulle too! So, now I know where to buy more supplies when I run out of my original ones!!!

I spoke to my Mom about the ones I made for her and she LOVES using them to clean off the stove top after dinner. She said it's been working great for that AND cleaning up the sink.

I LOVE this board and all it's ideas for projects! Just wish my wallet did too. (LOL)
knitcindy

starpatch
05-31-2009, 01:29 AM
I saved this thread, I want to make a scrubbie...or three my self.

Spikey
06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi Scrubbie-lovers!

Has anyone else tried making these with old scratchy acrylic, rather than cotton?

My DH commented that some older scrubbies that I'd made a while back (without netting) seem to hold the soap better than those made with cotton. But clearly the netting adds so much scrubbing power.

So I've made a few with worsted weight scratchy acrylic and the netting, just like the cotton ones. They seem to work just as well, and hold the soap a bit better.

Anyone else tried this?

ArtLady1981
06-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I haven't tried it. I have a boatload of the Sugar and Cream cotton (on the big cones)...so have been working with that exclusively.

I think one could use acrylic yarn however. I think the magic of the scrubbies is the netting, and some kind of yarn to hold the soap.

After my Scrubbies get tired looking, I relegate them to humbler tasks! Like for instance...I keep one near to where I fill my dogs water bowl outside. The scrubbie works great at getting the 'slime' that develops on the walls and bottom of the bowl. St Bernard slime! Ack. I don't like my dogs to drink out of nasty bowls, and they prefer sweet, clean bowls, too!

Jan in CA
06-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I haven't either. Since the netting is the important part and it's not meant to absorbent then acrylic would probably be fine. :think:

Spikey
06-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks, I'll keep you guys posted on the acrylic experiment.

jberry16
06-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I'd seen this pattern on ravelry, or one similar to it. Been wanting to try it but just haven't ordered the scratchy stuff yet.

Spikey
07-12-2009, 01:54 PM
So far, using acrylic rather than cotton, with the netting has been working fabulously! cloud9

Same great scrubbing power as the netting + cotton, but better suds (which = using less dishwashing liquid), and less of that yucky smell that the cotton seems to get no matter how well I rinse them out after use, or how often I wash them in the dishwasher or washing machine.

Some folks on Rav mentioned that acrylic has antibacterial properties, which I am not sure is true, but probably since it is purely synthetic, it does not provide as hospitable a medium for bacterial growth as cotton. Some in Korea even claim that you don't need to use soap at all, but I'm not taking it that far.

I do knit them up a bit tighter than the cotton ones, as the worsted weight acrylic relaxes a bit more when wet, but what a great way to use up all of the scratchy yarns I've been "gifted" :woot: