PDA

View Full Version : Circular or straight

lilahcakes
12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Im very new to knitting and my husband has offered to get me a knitting needle set. I like the wooden harmony, but dont know if I should get the straight or the circular set. If people could give me the pro and cons of both I would be so greatful :star:

zkimom
12-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I would have to vote circulars. You can knit flat with circular needles but you can't knit circular with straight needles.

The circular set would give you much more flexibility.

sabrinasmom
12-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I like the circulars. You don't have to knit in the round , you can use them as straight needles. They keep the weight off of your wrists and arms more than straight needles. Don't know if what you are considering are interchangables but interchangables are great. I'm sure there are cons but I really like interchangable circular needles.

Marria
12-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Another vote for circulars here--they are definitely a lot easier on the wrists, and plus, you don't have to worry about losing a needle. :)

vaknitter
12-20-2008, 12:24 AM
Add me to the circular vote...you can use them as straight, but you cannot you straight as circular. My hubby bought me an interchangeable set a couple of years ago and I am addicted now ... I am working on getting set #3 for Christmas.

Jan in CA
12-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Another vote for circulars! You can use them for flat or circular knitting so they are fabulous. I have the Options and love them, but I know many love the Harmonys just as much!

lelvsdgs
12-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Yep, circulars are so much more flexible. I'd vote for circs.

tokmom
12-20-2008, 02:12 AM
circs here too.

suzeeq
12-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Looks like we got us a concensus going on.

luvmykid28
12-20-2008, 02:29 AM
Circs

WandaT
12-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Circs for me too ... much more versatile than straights.

Ellieblue
12-20-2008, 11:13 AM
When you get your circs you will get 2 cables + 2 buttons in each size cable. Just screw the button on one end, the needle on the other end of the cables and you have your straight needles. Works great.

YummyKnittingMummy
12-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Circulars!!

remclave
12-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Without a doubt, CIRCULARS!

RuthieinMaryland
12-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Hi! :waving:

I'll add to the concensus - circulars, definitely.

I have the Options Interchangeable and you couldn't buy them back from me for twice what I paid for them! :) They're wonderful, for straight and circular knitting.

Whichever you choose, have lots and lots of fun!

Happy knitting!

Ruthie :knitting:

principalmc
12-21-2008, 04:03 AM
I have both sets of harmony needles. Depending on your preference and finances both styles are needed. Sometimes you get in the mood to knit "straight" and at other times, "circular". Sometimes the project also dictates what needle type is needed. Shawls, afghans, etc. usually call for cirulars because of the number of stitches to be casted-on. After knitting for 30 years, I have all types of needles and use them whenever the mood dictates. My preference - metal. Love the new Signatures. Hope this helps.

DQ
12-21-2008, 05:45 AM
I like knitting with straights as well as circs but if I were going to get a whole set then I'd go for the circs.

Jan in CA
12-21-2008, 11:55 AM
I have both sets of harmony needles. Depending on your preference and finances both styles are needed.

I never use straights so I'd say if you own circs they are not needed. Some people prefer them for certain things though.

AshleyP
12-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I am also new to knitting.... I am wanting to get a set of needles of my own. I see that everyone recommends circular needles - but can someone explain the interchangeable sets to me?

suzeeq
12-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Interchangeable sets come with a set of tips in several sizes and about 4 different size cords which you can change out according to the length and size of needle you need. They generally cover the whole range of sizes and so you wouldn't need to buy a lot of different needles, therefore saving money in the long run. You can usually also buy tips and cords separately, either to try out or to add to your set.

Here are the Knitpicks Options that people mention (in metal, they also come in wood) http://www.knitpicks.com/interchangeable+circular+knitting+needles_NL300312 .html

This is the Boye kit - http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2868&PRODID=prd20751 and the Denise set - http://www.knitdenise.com/pages/about-the-kit

Koehnae
12-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Another vote for circulars. I have a complete set of straight needles, but I never use them since I got my interchangeables. I have a set of the Denise and the Harmonies... and honestly all I ever use is the Harmonies. The only time I'm not using interchangeables is for socks and then I'm using the Harmony double-points or fixed circulars.

AshleyP
12-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info ladies! So the harmony wood set is worth the money....?

Koehnae
12-21-2008, 02:50 PM

Most definitely. Best knitting-related investment I ever made.

suzeeq
12-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Many people like the color and feel of the Harmony, lots of people love the flexibility of the cord as opposed to the stiffnes in other brands.

Jan in CA
12-21-2008, 03:11 PM

If you like wood needles then definitely! The KP Options are also awesome of you prefer metal like I do.

Holly
12-22-2008, 01:42 PM
I think a good set of interchangeable circulars is the best knitting investment you could make. My favorite is the Knitpicks Options metal set. Of course, wood vs. metal is a personal choice, but as you get faster you may regret getting wood needles. I find them to be a little "stickier" and slower. My first set was a Denise set. I love everything about it except for the thicker cable tubing. :-) Holly

robkat317
12-22-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm too new to knitting to offer an opinion that would count. But have my own circular needle question

I tried to use circular needles for a scarf. I have a whole set of 29" Clover, bamboo circular needles that I never used and my #8 straight needles were in use. The scarf called for #8 needles so I busted out my #8 circluar. I got frustrated because I kept "fighting" with the cord connecting the two needles, it kept wanting to twist back to the position that it was in, in the package.

Maybe, for this particular project the cord was too long, but, I was concerned about how this would work on a larger project like blanket. How long would I have to wrestle with the cord before it straightens itself out?

Sorry to ride on your coat tails AshleyP

Holly
12-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Try a quick plunge of the cord into hot water to help keep it pliable. You may also want to examine other sets for more manageable cords.

Wanda Witch
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Since using circular needles, I would never go back to the straight ones. I prefer the KP Options interchangeables (I like metal personally) better than the Addi circs as I find their 'cord' too rigid. I did experience with a project not long ago that I had chosen a cord too long and fought with it a bit until I changed to shorter one. I am still learning.

thecanfield
12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I also vote circs.
I started a project on straights and after playing around with circs I transferred it onto circs and never looked back to this day I still only own the one pair of straights.
I much prefer the addi Turbos (I love the slippery metal) and am anxiously awaiting my set of addi Clicks (interchangeables).

bambi
12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Circs!!!!

:yay:

SabrinaJL
12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Gotta throw my vote in for circs too. I had 3 sets of Addi's that came with knitting classes, but I sold them ASAP because I prefer the KP Options. They're cheaper, sharper and I like the cable better.

Plantgoddess+
12-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I had never liked circular because of the cords. I had straightened them in hot water, but they were still so stiff to manipulate when knitting. I bought the Harmony interchangeables and am currently passing my straights on to other new knitters.