PDA

View Full Version : Woo yay new spindle!

sorifes
12-22-2008, 02:51 AM
I got to pick out my christmas present with my mom cause she has NO idea about spindles so I went to the local fiber store and she had beautiful spindles! I got a pretty one made out of walnut and maple and it spins so nice (store owner let me test it). But I think the best part about my trip was I learned something new not to mention got a little paper to join the spinners and weavers guild I'm so excited! I'm gonna sign up and can't wait to go! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woot: :happydance:

Marria
12-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Awesome! I have actually been thinking about trying out spinning with a spindle...(like I need another hobby :teehee: )...

Can you tell me a little about the differences between what you can do with a spindle vs. what you can do with a wheel? I am curious about spinning but know nothing, and I'm wondering if it is worth getting into right now, because a spindle is all I can really afford any time soon.

Thanks!
Marria

knitasha
12-25-2008, 01:04 PM
The short answer is: you can do anything with a spindle that you can do with a wheel. A wheel lets you do it about three times faster, though.

Some expert spinners say that a spindle is better for spinning fine (laceweight) yarn and a wheel is better for producing sweater weights. But this is just a generality: by using the right size spindle and adjusting your speed, you can make worsted on a spindle, and by adjusting your wheel, you can spin finer yarn.

I have only been spinning for a couple of months, exclusively with spindles, and I find it very different from knitting. It's more physical, more sensory. You need to pay attention when you're spindling but you don't have to think: it's a great stress-reducer.

For an introduction to spindling, look for youtube videos by Abby Franquemont -- she's one of the best. Or get one of these books:
Spinning in the Old Way by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts or Spin It by Lee Raven. Or check the Spindlers group on Ravelry.

mullerslanefarm
12-25-2008, 11:15 PM
As knitasha said, a wheel is just a faster way of spinning. If you want to get even faster than a wheel, you can upgrade to an electric spinner.

I'm no expert on spinning (spindling for 10 years, spinning for 6 years) but I don't agree that a spindle is better for laceweight and a wheel better for worsted weights.

The weight (thickness) of yarn that can be spun on a spindle will depend on the weight of your spindle and how you draft your fiber.

With the wheel, it again depends on how you draft your fiber and the flyer & bobbin whorl sizes you use.