PDA

View Full Version : Help with Felting

momofthree
12-29-2008, 12:05 PM
I am just felting my first object -- a large project bag. I have had it in the washer for a couple of cycles and I am very pleased with one exception. The top edges of the bag are sort of bowed out. The bag was knit from the bottom up and actually had some decreases. I expected the bag to be slightly larger on the bottom than around the top. This is not the case.

I have the back in the washer for another short run. I plan to be extra careful not to stretch out the top edge as I shape the bottom. Any other suggestions?

Thanks! Momofthree

clarkeee
12-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi momofthree... the only thing I'm wondering is whether you casted off looser on the top of the bag and that is creating the bowing effect? I guess I would do as you said and just be extra careful about shaping the final bag.

Without being of any help, I will say "I feel your pain."

tokmom
12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
That was my guess too. When I first learned to do a tote/bag, my stitches were tighter on the bottom. I had this vase look to my bag. Smaller on the bottom, larger on the top. What I did was get it wet again and tug it into shape. It took some muscle, but it worked.

heatherg23
12-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Mine do that too, just a little. Blocking helped to even the shape out.
That was my first as well.

knitrageous
12-30-2008, 12:06 AM
I've had the same thing happen. I either follow one of the suggestions offered or go with it and pretend it's supposed to be that way!

momofthree
12-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I know now to be more careful the next time I knit a bag!

For now I have blocked the bag, and that helped a lot. When it came out of the washer I was careful not to tug on the top edge while pulling the bottom part out. I stuffed the bottom part as full as I could with plastic grocery bags and toward the top I sort of rolled the edge in. I think the edge will always look a little loose, but with the bottom rounded out at least things will stay in the bag!

And afterall, this is what I intended for it to look like! :wink: (I liked that suggestion!)

Thanks again! Momofthree