PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Cigarettes

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
I know I am not the only smoker at KH so I am posting this for those who smoke.

With my mother being taken by lung cancer recently and myself being a fairly heavy smoker I got to thinking hard about the whole smoking thing.

I've tried and failed to quit in the past and was prepared to try again when I discovered e-cigarettes. They are an amazing piece of technology.

Obviously, quitting is the best option but these things are a great alternative to smoking cigarettes. With normal "analog" cigarettes one gets the nicotine you're after but also a lot of tar and other chemicals you don't want. Even the lightest cigarettes still contains hundreds of harmful chemicals.

These e-cigs provide the nicotine the smoker wants but none of the other crud in cigarette smoke. As a matter of fact they produce no smoke at all. They produce a vapor that contains some nicotine, flavoring, and that's it. The vapor evaporates away almost immediately.

They're legal to use anywhere as they produce no first or second hand smoke or residual odor and have no tobacco or combustion at all, and smoking bans do not apply to them.

I've made the switch to them and can say that they do satisfy both the nicotine craving as well as the "habit" of smoking. They draw and feel just like smoking a ciggy, the taste is very similar to that of a cigarette (unless you go with one of several other flavors like strawberry or vanilla), but are much better for you than tobacco as there are no carcinogens in the vapor at all.

Is is a tad pricey to get started with them, but in the long run using them is much cheaper than buying cigarettes. One can even buy the liquid to refill the cartridges instead of buying more of them and save even more money.

I would urge any who smoke to at least consider this option (no I don't sell them or work for someone who does LOL) as a healthier alternative to cigarettes.

There's a website for a dealer who has a good reputation among those on the e-cigs forums. http://www.puresmoker.com/

nonny2t
12-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Next to losing weight, quitting smoking has got to be the hardest. My husband quit 15 years ago and says every once in awhile he will get a craving for one after he eats.

Good luck and maybe you can wean yourself off them and be cigarette free!

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Next to losing weight, quitting smoking has got to be the hardest. My husband quit 15 years ago and says every once in awhile he will get a craving for one after he eats.

Yeah it's extremely difficult. While e-cigs aren't marketed as quitting aids (due to regs), the cartridges come in different nicotime strengths all the way down to zero, so one could use them to step down and eventually quit.

Pretty much everyone on the e-cigs forum has given up smoking in favor of "vaping" (called that because is vapor instead of smoke).

I'll probably gradually step down the nic levels myself as I go along although nicotine itself isn't very harmful unless you have high blood pressure or heart disease. It's all that other crap in cigarette smoke that'll kill you.

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Oh yeah, another plus is that these won't make your knitting (or house or car or you) stink.

MoniDew
12-30-2008, 05:03 PM
I have a 26 year old son who is a heavy smoker. He's tried so many times to quit. His children have hearing loss because of his smoking (they get ear infections which scar their ear drums and fill their ear tubes with mucus) and he feels guilty that he is harming them. I will definately pass this info along to him. Thank you!

Mike
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
How long do they last compared to cigarettes?

I quit for a year and a half (but smoked a pipe instead, no inhaling) and when my panic attacks fired up in full force I was back at it.
They say smoking makes panic worse but I have too much personal evidence to the contrary to think I'm properly self-medicating.

I'd be willing to give vaping a go as long as it was affordable.

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
I have a 26 year old son who is a heavy smoker. He's tried so many times to quit. His children have hearing loss because of his smoking (they get ear infections which scar their ear drums and fill their ear tubes with mucus) and he feels guilty that he is harming them. I will definately pass this info along to him. Thank you!
You're welcome. It would definitely help in his case as it would have zero effect on the people around him.

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2008, 05:52 PM
How long do they last compared to cigarettes?

I quit for a year and a half (but smoked a pipe instead, no inhaling) and when my panic attacks fired up in full force I was back at it.
They say smoking makes panic worse but I have too much personal evidence to the contrary to think I'm properly self-medicating.

I'd be willing to give vaping a go as long as it was affordable.

The model I have, which is the same as the Pee Wee on the site I linked, claims that the cartridges are equivalent to about a half pack of cigs each. From what I have been able to tell I tend to think it's a bit less than that. But ordering them from that site amounts to a cost of about 79 cents each so it's far more affordable than buying analog cigs.

From what I've learned on the forums, I'd recommend going with the pen style as everyone seems to say that they perform better and the cartridges last a bit longer. I'll be ordering one myself when I can afford to buy another e-cig.

From that site's FAQ:

Original Penstyle Cartridge = 8-10 tobacco cigarettes
Pocket Mini = 6-7 tobacco cigarettes

The Pee Wee (the one I have) is considered a Super Mini but the cartridges last about the same as a Pocket Mini.

If you buy the liquid and refill them yourself it's even cheaper still.

Mike
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
I saw that claim about 8-10 per cartridge and each cartridge costs about $1.
That makes them cheaper than fire or at least no more expensive. Which can't be said for any other form of nicotine replacement.

I'll have to check into that to see if they have them locally, otherwise I'd have to buy a half a million cartridges at a time.

About all those chemicals in fired cigarettes, when I switched to pipe I still had a hard time getting off the cigarettes. I would even smoke some heavy duty tobaccos that would give me nicotine overdose. There's more going on in cigarettes than just nicotine.
That's the main reason I'd like to get off them yet don't mind the thought of nicotine.

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I saw that claim about 8-10 per cartridge and each cartridge costs about $1.
That makes them cheaper than fire or at least no more expensive. Which can't be said for any other form of nicotine replacement.

I'll have to check into that to see if they have them locally, otherwise I'd have to buy a half a million cartridges at a time.

About all those chemicals in fired cigarettes, when I switched to pipe I still had a hard time getting off the cigarettes. I would even smoke some heavy duty tobaccos that would give me nicotine overdose. There's more going on in cigarettes than just nicotine.
That's the main reason I'd like to get off them yet don't mind the thought of nicotine.
Be careful who you buy from locally, some dealers such as "Smoke Everywhere" sell inferior products for inflated prices and their service stinks.

The site I linked here is one of several that I know about who have a very good reputation for quality and service.

I know what you mean about the pipe as I am also a pipe smoker. That's one thing I've noticed about the e-cigs. Since you "smoke" them exactly the same way you would a cigarette they seem to satisfy that urge much better and I really haven't missed the cigs at all.

I would recommend buying an extra atomizer or two (the part that does the actual work). From what I have read on the forums they are the part most likely to fail on you. I am getting ready to place an order for a couple of spares myself.

As I really enjoy vanilla pipe tobacco I'm planning on trying some of the vanilla e-liquid to see how it is.

Sewing Angel
12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
A friend of mine has a brother who is 50 and is disabled, living in an assisted living facility. He had been smoking since he was a teenager. He then had to start using oxygen. My friend was extremely upset (their Mom had emphysema) Anyway, she found something similar and her brother started using them. In a short period of time, he was able to quit using the oxygen. I don't think he would have ever quit without this. Good luck to you Mason and anyone else that decides to switch.

Marria
12-30-2008, 09:26 PM

No joke! My husband and I quit together about 3 weeks ago.

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
No joke! My husband and I quit together about 3 weeks ago.
Great! That is of course the best way to go. These e-cigs are for those of us who find quitting to be more difficult and nothing else works.

Marria
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Absolutely--I didn't mean to imply that...I'm glad there's something safer out there than inhaling the smoke at least. :)

Puddinpop
12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Good luck you guys. I quit in '88 when my first husband got lung cancer. I didn't want my daughter to have both parents to die from lung cancer. It was very hard and I had my brother praying for me, but I finally did it, with God's help. Don't give up. Your family will be glad that they have you around. Don't worry about the weight gain. You can get rid of the extra weight after you kick the habit. After 2 months, it got a lot easier for me. It is important!!!!:hug:

Knitting_Guy
12-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Absolutely--I didn't mean to imply that...I'm glad there's something safer out there than inhaling the smoke at least. :)
I knew that, I meant that I am happy for you that you two have managed to quit.

saracidaltendencies
12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Man, I'm gonna have to try this one day! If only I could quit smoking long enough to save up the money to buy one...haha...Well, I'm gonna have to go back to work in about 7-8 months, maybe then I'll be able to get one. I'm not a super heavy smoker, though, I've noticed I'm smoking more and more each day...Still at just under a pack a day though...Aside from when I was pregnant, the longest I've been able to quit was about 3 weeks. Then I got super stressed one day and said F it and I've been smoking as normal ever since.

See, my problem isn't so much the nicotine as it is the actual action of it. A lot of times I smoke out of boredom or habit...Habit as in I have to have a cig after I eat, whether I want one or not, I have to smoke when I'm on the phone, I have to smoke when I'm on the computer, etc. It's become an association thing for me I think more than anything else.

The 3 weeks that I did quit getting past the nicotine craving wasn't as hard as getting past the feeling I needed a cig at a particular time, such as talking on the phone or after eating, or, when I need a quick break from knitting :teehee:

ArtLady1981
12-31-2008, 12:10 AM
I have to admit...I quit the easy way. I got pregnant with baby #3...and had to make a choice between 'keeping my dinner down'...or lighting up.

Food won. :thumbsup: I'm a terrible sissy.

After baby #3 was born...my Mom had already been diagnosed with lung cancer...so that reinforced my abstinence....and by the time baby #4 was born...Mom had died from lung cancer. She was pretty darn young...being in her mid-forties. Such a shame.

So, that has postponed my smoking ever since.

Been clean since 1972. And, still alive. :woot:

My heartfelt prayers for all of us who are fighting the fine fight against any sort of addiction!

Thanks for sharing the info, Mason!

lelvsdgs
12-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Wow! I have never heard of this and I think it's wonderful! I have somehow escaped the whole smoking thing (my parents both smoked like chimneys when I was a kid, I think that's why I never did) but I know several people who do and I'll pass this on to them.

What I like about the concept is you don't have to do it with the goal of quitting, which I think is too overwhelming for some people, but of getting healthier while still being able to use nicotine. And with the added bonus that the smoke isn't affecting anyone else either. Great idea!

Thanks so much for posting this. I think it'll mean a lot to a lot of people...:notworthy:

Jan in CA
12-31-2008, 01:08 AM
What a neat idea! I don't smoke, but I hope it works for you and for those who try it.

My aunt and uncle (married) were both diagnosed with lung cancer this year and my dad and MIL have enphysema and COPD. I hate to see anyone go through these horrible diseases. :hug:

DQ
12-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Good luck to everyone quitting :hug: DH quit when I got pregnant with my DS, that'll be about 4 years ago now! He used the nicotine gum though.

momwolf
12-31-2008, 08:48 AM
What is the cost difference between real cigs and this?A pack is about $4.50,what is the total cost for a pack of these cigs?

Mike
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
What is the cost difference between real cigs and this?A pack is about $4.50,what is the total cost for a pack of these cigs?

A pack of 5 cartridges is about $5. A cartridge equals about 10 cigs according to their claims.
I don't know how the original cost of the kit would figure into it.

busyknitmom
12-31-2008, 11:03 AM
O/T: Mike, totally funny signature - that is one lousy gift!

momwolf
12-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Am I getting this right,So you get 2 1/2 packs of cigs for $5.00 .That's cheaper then regular cigs.:noway:

Lucy78green
12-31-2008, 01:08 PM
My boyfriend's father died of lung cancer and he used to be a lab technician in the hospital doing cell pathology - so really he should know better than to smoke! The longest he's lasted is about 12 hours any time he gave up. I checked to see if it's available here and I found a few sellers online. I'll send him the links - he'll probably ignore it though! A packet of cigarettes here costs about 5 for 20 which is (at the minute) about $7 - about $50 week!

Mike
12-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Am I getting this right,So you get 2 1/2 packs of cigs for $5.00 .That's cheaper then regular cigs.:noway:

But then you have the batteries, battery chargers and atomizers, which are all expendable and you need spares.
I just figured up an order that I figured should last 3 weeks and it was about the same as regular cigarettes.
If the hardware lasts longer than that it's better, but it also has the potential to worse or the same.

I also read where people have had the same problems I had when I switched to a pipe. There's more in cigarettes that is causing the desire than just the nicotine.

bambi
12-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh, Mason! I really hope these help you, my friend. Any steps toward quitting are good steps. :)

Bambi

momwolf
12-31-2008, 09:05 PM
OK I ordered it today :yay:and will let you all know how it works for me.

Knitting_Guy
12-31-2008, 10:28 PM
But then you have the batteries, battery chargers and atomizers, which are all expendable and you need spares.
I just figured up an order that I figured should last 3 weeks and it was about the same as regular cigarettes.
If the hardware lasts longer than that it's better, but it also has the potential to worse or the same.

I also read where people have had the same problems I had when I switched to a pipe. There's more in cigarettes that is causing the desire than just the nicotine.

The batteries will last a good while. The atomizers, well, that's anyone's guess. I've read where some people are replacing them every few weeks and others who claim to be using the same one after a year.

Figure in the health benefits and I still think they're a better bargain.

lelvsdgs
12-31-2008, 10:28 PM
:muah: :notworthy: Good luck and do let us know. I think this is so awesome!

Knitting_Guy
12-31-2008, 10:29 PM
I look forward to hearing how it works for you. I'm totally off analog cigs now and am strictly vaping. Don't miss the analogs at all.

lelvsdgs
12-31-2008, 10:33 PM
I look forward to hearing how it works for you. I'm totally off analog cigs now and am strictly vaping. Don't miss the analogs at all.
That is so awesome!

I told a few folks at work today about these and they were interested so I passed along the links. Thanks so much for sharing these with us!

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2009, 12:22 AM
That is so awesome!

I told a few folks at work today about these and they were interested so I passed along the links. Thanks so much for sharing these with us!
No problem. I hope they check them out. I am seriously sold on the whole idea. In the past I've tried everything to quit and these are the first thing that has worked for me.

The fact that you can use them in places where smoking is banned doesn't hurt either :mrgreen:

Marria
01-01-2009, 01:06 AM
See, my problem isn't so much the nicotine as it is the actual action of it. A lot of times I smoke out of boredom or habit...Habit as in I have to have a cig after I eat, whether I want one or not, I have to smoke when I'm on the phone, I have to smoke when I'm on the computer, etc. It's become an association thing for me I think more than anything else.

The 3 weeks that I did quit getting past the nicotine craving wasn't as hard as getting past the feeling I needed a cig at a particular time, such as talking on the phone or after eating, or, when I need a quick break from knitting :teehee:

This is so very true! If you go cold turkey, getting past the nicotine withdrawals is not that bad, because they only last for a few days...it's the habit and the psychological craving that's caused me to go back to smoking after quitting so many times. This time, I am hoping to make it a permanent quit because I am reminding myself that I can't have "just one" once I've been quit for awhile. It's a drug, and that's just like relapsing...so hopefully I'll succeed this time. But definitely the electronic cartridge has got to be better than the real thing...

Doodknitwit
01-01-2009, 01:50 AM
Mason,

I understand you're giving up smoking.. what are analogs?:whoosh:

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Mason,

I understand you're giving up smoking.. what are analogs?:whoosh:
Analogs is the term e-cig users use for regular cigarettes as opposed to the e-cigs. The electronic cigs are digital cigs and the normal tobacco cigs are analog cigs. It's kind of a geek joke.

Doodknitwit
01-01-2009, 01:59 AM
:roflhard:
that's explains it Mason. I am techno challenged :eyes:

Happy New Year :blooby: :waving:

Mike
01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
The batteries will last a good while. The atomizers, well, that's anyone's guess. I've read where some people are replacing them every few weeks and others who claim to be using the same one after a year.

Figure in the health benefits and I still think they're a better bargain.

Yeah, I was reading some of the care threads on a forum and figured that a lot of people toss them when a good cleaning would've taken care of it.

But it's still a good idea to have a spare of everything.
For me once I get over the habit of smoking I can easily use a pipe as a backup. But until then I would need the digitals to be there when needed.

I figured up the prices and buying 2 kits seems to be the most cost effective way of having a backup.
After that I'd have a better idea of whether to pick up spare batteries or atomizers along with supplies of juice.

I think I'm going to order them today, if I can remember my Pay Pal information.

Mike
01-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I just took the plunge.

I'm actually excited about the idea of not smoking cigarettes again. It's the first I've liked that idea since I started back up after having the panic come back.
I have a good feeling about this.

momwolf
01-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Good luck to us all:woot:

GinnyG
01-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the interesting information Mason.

Part of my job as a Cardiac Rehab Nurse is doing Smoking Cessation Couseling for both cardiac and non cardiac patients. So I am always interested in "what's out there".

WHile I do believe that anything can work for anybody there are a few things that bother me about the ecigarette.

Successful smoking cessation is a three pronged approach to quitting; the physical addiction to smoking, the psychological addiction and the habit of smoking. While the ecigarette does ramp down your nicotine absorbtion and it sounds like it cuts down on the harmful chemicals you are ingesting it really does little to help the person trying to quit overcome the psychological addiction or the habit of smoking.

So I questions the actual success rate of anyone trying to quit smoking.

BUT GOOD LUCK to any and all who are trying to quit!!!

miccisue
01-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Mason, what is the difference between the device you have and the Crown 7? I've seen the Crown 7 advertised, but hadn't heard of the one you're using. And, do you count the "drags" so you know when you've gotten to the equivalent of 1 ciggie so you know when the cartridge is about to run out?

So many questions, so many that sound stupid. DOH!!!!!!

Silver
01-03-2009, 09:56 PM
OMG thank you for the link! I quit over 3 years ago, but my husband still smokes. As does my mom, my sister, and my best friend who just tried to quit and failed. I am going to talk at least one of them into this... i think my best friend is the best candidate. He REALLY needs to quit for health reasons and he knows it, wants to, but can't. I think I'm gonna call him NOW.

Best of luck with quitting Mason, and everyone else who is quitting!! :hug:

Ingrid
01-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I just placed my order.:happydance: It's got to be cheaper than buying cigarettes in NY, besides the health issues.

Does this mean that I don't have to stand by a dumpster several times a day when I'm at work?:think: :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting this, Mason, I'd never heard of these, and since nothing else has worked for me, WTH?

laikabear
01-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Wow, Mason, that is great info. I had never heard of such a thing. I hope that everyone trying the ecigs is successful. :cheering: Even if you're just trading the "analogs" for the ecigs, Mason's right. I think nicotine by itself is probably not any worse for a person than long term caffeine addiction, barring any underlying heart disease. It's all the crap in cigarettes that's like exhaust smoke that causes lung cancer.

I am surprised at the number of smokers on KH! I grew up in North Carolina and did smoke occasionally for a few years in undergrad and vet school. I never went above a pack a week, though, and never felt really physically addicted. When I finally wanted to quit, it was more the habit than anything that was hard to give up. But I did and it's been about 5 years since I've had one. Now I live in California and the rules are so strict these days I'm glad I don't smoke!

In NC there are still smoking sections in restaurants (AFAIK) but out here you can't even smoke outside at outdoor malls or near an entranceway! There are so many fewer smokers in CA than anywhere else. I think the weirdest thing is that now cigarette smoke bothers me more than it ever did before. I can tell if someone is a smoker immediately and sometimes just the smell on their clothes bothers me! :shrug:

Anyway, keep us posted on your thoughts! I think these are a great idea!

momwolf
01-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Mine are is in the mail on it's way :woot::woohoo:

Mike
01-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the interesting information Mason.

Part of my job as a Cardiac Rehab Nurse is doing Smoking Cessation Couseling for both cardiac and non cardiac patients. So I am always interested in "what's out there".

WHile I do believe that anything can work for anybody there are a few things that bother me about the ecigarette.

Successful smoking cessation is a three pronged approach to quitting; the physical addiction to smoking, the psychological addiction and the habit of smoking. While the ecigarette does ramp down your nicotine absorbtion and it sounds like it cuts down on the harmful chemicals you are ingesting it really does little to help the person trying to quit overcome the psychological addiction or the habit of smoking.

So I questions the actual success rate of anyone trying to quit smoking.

BUT GOOD LUCK to any and all who are trying to quit!!!
You ignore a few factors.
Personally I don't want to give up nicotine.
Previously after exchanging inhaled cigarettes for non-inhaled pipes successfully for 1 1/2 years I went back to cigarettes during a time of stress because of both the instant hit of nicotine and the convenience. So now I'm back to inhaling the tars along with the nicotine.

I've also found that the nicotine addiction isn't the hard part to quit. It's the habit of smoking cigarettes and the convenience that is the hard part. If that part isn't harmful why bother quitting it?
I will gladly keep all of those in exchange for not inhaling smoke into my lungs.
Who knows, I may even go to 0mg vapors.

In short I want to quit inhaling cigarettes, not all that other stuff you might want me to quit.

So as long as some do-gooders don't ban e-cigs I should be able to exchange my cigarette habit for the better option. If they do ban e-cigs I'll probably eventually be back to cigarettes like I've done so many times before.

Does this mean that I don't have to stand by a dumpster several times a day when I'm at work?:think: :thumbsup:
It depends on the owner of the establishment.
IMO you're more likely to get an OK to vaporize inside if your device is not one of the ones that looks like a cigarette and you use a flavor that isn't tobacco.
Some people can smell them and ID the flavor, and one that looks like a cigarette may cause others to think they can smoke a real cigarette.

Mason, what is the difference between the device you have and the Crown 7? I've seen the Crown 7 advertised, but hadn't heard of the one you're using. And, do you count the "drags" so you know when you've gotten to the equivalent of 1 ciggie so you know when the cartridge is about to run out?

So many questions, so many that sound stupid. DOH!!!!!!
As far as I know there is only one or two manufacturers. Distributors who buy 500 units can request customizations.
Crown 7 looks like one of those branded generics and they charge for all that advertising, almost twice as much as Puresmoker. Crown 7 may have a good warranty and/or good quality control, or you may just be paying for their "name brand".

You can "drip" and that is supposed to give you a close approximation of a cigarette in time and vapor. I planned on dripping but I may have got too high of nicotine content.
If I did I'll just time it, half the time I light up and let it burn away in an ash tray anyway so going by drags would give me more drags than I'd normally take.

If you're going to do it I suggest these forums (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/) so that you avoid mistakes, pick up hints and know what you're getting into (it's rather new technology and has plenty of bugs and questions).

Mine are is in the mail on it's way :woot::woohoo:

Mine too.

Mommy22alyns
01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Fascinating! I'm interested to read about these from the "other side" - I was in a mall last week and saw a Smoke Everywhere kiosk and was scratching my head. I didn't think of it as a way to help people quit smoking though. :thumbsup:

Plantgoddess+
01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Good luck to all of you with this technology. I hope for those of you who wish to, that it ultimately leads to becoming a former smoker.
I'm 15+ years clean myself now and don't miss it a bit. More hobby money.:thumbsup:

momwolf
01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Got mine in the mail today:woot::woohoo:
Just charging up the batteries.Will try it tomorrow:yay:

miccisue
01-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Got mine in the mail today:woot::woohoo:
Just charging up the batteries.Will try it tomorrow:yay:

Which one did you get? Did you get extra supplies with it? I'm seriously considering this, but want to get some feedback from you guys first...like what the initial investment is, how well it works, how many spare atomizers, etc. you need, all that kind of stuff. If you don't mind, keep me up to date as to how well/not so well it works. (I'm not necessarily looking to quit, just to eliminate the extra junk that's in cigs; so quitting info isn't necessary unless you want to share it).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Ingrid
01-06-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm hoping that the storm we're expecting won't stop mine from coming tomorrow. All day I realized that there were so many times I'd have been satisfied with a little shot of nicotine rather than a whole cigarette.

I figure that even if I cut my smoking in half, I'm taking in half the junk and saving half the money.:thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
01-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Wow, I am surprised at the number of people who have ordered them.

Mike is correct on many of the things he posted, and the forum he linked is the one I have been reading and posting on.

I can say that I haven't missed cigarettes at all since I started e-smoking. Yes, it's true that they don't do anything about the habit and such, but as long as you're not smoking actual cigarettes that's not a bad thing at all.

momwolf
01-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Well here I sit puffing away and it works great :yay: What I really like is that when you set it down it doesn't burn away like real cigs:woohoo:I waste more cigs when on computer because I light one and then get busy typing and it burns away.
This is my first mechanical cig today. Will let you know how it goes later on today.:woot:

momwolf
01-07-2009, 10:55 AM
H (http://www.puresmoker.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MIN901WHT)ere is the one I got.Bought no extras in case I didn't like it.Oh ya I did buy some Cherry flavoring.

http://www.puresmoker.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MIN901WHT-1.jpg (http://www.puresmoker.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MIN901WHT) http://www.puresmoker.com/v/vspfiles/templates/104/images/clear1x1.gif http://www.puresmoker.com/v/vspfiles/templates/104/images/clear1x1.gif http://www.puresmoker.com/v/vspfiles/templates/104/images/clear1x1.gif http://www.puresmoker.com/v/vspfiles/templates/104/images/clear1x1.gif White Pocket ECigarette Mini DSE901 (http://www.puresmoker.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MIN901WHT) Our Price: $49.95 http://www.puresmoker.com/v/vspfiles/templates/104/images/Icon_FreeShipping_Small.gif http://www.puresmoker.com/v/vspfiles/templates/104/images/buttons/btn_addtocart_small.gif (http://www.puresmoker.com/ShoppingCart.asp?ProductCode=MIN901WHT)
http://www.puresmoker.com/v/vspfiles/templates/104/images/clear1x1.gif
White Pocket Mini ECigarette Kit (DSE901)

1 x Atomiser (Matte White Exterior)

2 x Rechargable Batteries (Matte White Exterior with an Orange LED)

1 x Battery Charger

1 x USA Plug

5 x Assorted Strength Cartridges[Orange Cartridges]

1 x English User Manual

*** Bonus 5 cartridges added to all starter kits ($4.95 value) [Bonus pack will be selected at random and will be orange, until stock is liquidated]

Knitting_Guy
01-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Not a bad choice. The DSE901 is the most popular model by far. I prefer the pen style just because the cartridges and batteries are larger and tend to last a bit longer before needing to be changed/recharged.

I'll probably pick up a 901 in black with blue LED at some point in the future.

momwolf
01-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Mason how do you know when to stop smoking the 901 so that it equals a reg cig.I counted 12 drags for real cig .But feel like I have to count 12 drags on 901 or will just keep puffing away:roflhard:

Mike
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Which one did you get? Did you get extra supplies with it? I'm seriously considering this, but want to get some feedback from you guys first...like what the initial investment is, how well it works, how many spare atomizers, etc. you need, all that kind of stuff. If you don't mind, keep me up to date as to how well/not so well it works. (I'm not necessarily looking to quit, just to eliminate the extra junk that's in cigs; so quitting info isn't necessary unless you want to share it).

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

I got mine yesterday. I haven't had a cigarette since. I had a slight desire before bed but the e-cig took care of it. I had more of a desire in the morning but the e-cig eventually took care of it.
It definitely took care of my middle of the night nicotine wake up call. (In fact I only woke up once and that wasn't until early morning, it took me a long time to get over waking up for a cigarette when I switched to pipes, and when you wake up to smoke a pipe you're up for a long time.)
The one cigarette I had was to do a test on how long it takes smoke to dissipate compared to the vapor (in a ziploc 20+ minutes smoke, 10 minutes vapor, naturally the smoke bag really stunk).
Not bad for not really caring if I quit cigarettes or not. Easiest time I've had not having a cigarette, at least so far, I know day 3 is the worst.

I got 2 starter kits. I figured up that is a spare of everything and was the cheapest route. I also got some bottles of liquid. I suggest getting some sweet liquid, the tobacco flavors are not sitting well with me. They're harsh enough that it was what got me over the morning cravings but it's not something I enjoy.
I also got mostly 36mg, unless you are a very heavy smoker that is probably too strong, you could cut it or make an effort to smoke less, instead of smoking the whole cigarette's worth only take a couple of puffs. 24mg seems to fit me well.

I spent something like $136 for what I hope is a month's worth and that is about what I would spend on cigarettes. If my hardware lasts longer than that month I'll be ahead, if it lasts less I'll be behind but at least I won't be inhaling smoke. It's certainly cheaper than what patches or gum would cost.

Mason how do you know when to stop smoking the 901 so that it equals a reg cig.I counted 12 drags for real cig .But feel like I have to count 12 drags on 901 or will just keep puffing away:roflhard:
I think that is a problem many have.
I guess I'm always finding stuff to do and I got high enough nicotine content that I want to set it down just like with a cigarette.

momwolf
01-07-2009, 01:00 PM
If this works for me today I'm gonna buy the same extra stuff Mike bought.That seems like the best deal.Thanks Mike:yay:
Good luck to you:cheering:

Jan in CA
01-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm so proud of you all for giving it a try! The best thing is never to smoke, but this is a great idea either as an alternative or as a way to wean yourself off them entirely. :hug:

Mike
01-07-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm so proud of you all for giving it a try! The best thing is never to smoke, but this is a great idea either as an alternative or as a way to wean yourself off them entirely. :hug:
I agree, I cringe when I hear people going to a pipe forum because they saw Lord of the Rings and want to learn to blow smoke rings or people wanting to use e-cigs just to learn to blow smoke rings.

Granted they can use 0mg nicotine cartridges with the e-cigs but still, why even push your luck?
Plus you are still inhaling something into your lungs.

I would like to get way down in nicotine and then just use a pipe for nicotine and keep the e-cig around for convenience times and stress times. (Pipes are relaxing and give nicotine but it's not the same, I find the e-cig with high dose nicotine to be pretty close.)

I often wonder if I'd be smoking cigarettes again if those first doctors I went to for Panic Disorder would've given me Xanax earlier instead of waiting for months and trying drugs that made me worse.
But that first one was all I needed to send me back to as much as I was smoking 1 1/2 years before.

Ingrid
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Well, mine came today and is charging. :cheering:

I really think this could work for me. Every time I light a cigarette, I can't say I feel guilty, but I do feel like I'm tired of being tied to this nasty habit.

We'll see how I do with it tomorrow.

momwolf
01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
I found this on the cigs forum and ordered one so I don't have to mess with charging batteries.Here is a pick of it on the cigs forum just scroll down- http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/5036-i-dont-use-batteries-anymore-13.html
Only had 4 real cigs today:woohoo: Liken my 901:hug:

TrishL1975
01-08-2009, 08:26 AM
You guys have me really intrigued. My husband, as well.

We quit drinking last year (long story, but suffice it to say, it was a VERY good thing) and smoking is on my list. I have high blood pressure (at 34!) and I KNOW it's bad for me. I don't smoke much at work, I don't have time, but at home I would de-stress by surfing the Internet and chainsmoking. What gets me about quitting is the habit - taking breaks from work, walking away, the hand-mouth movement, and rarely, the nicotine craving. My husband tried to quit last year using Chantix and had some of those side effects that are the subject of a class action lawsuit right now.

Knitting is helping - it's keeping my hands busy, and I don't smoke as much, but I'd like to get rid of it in the house. My husband has been smoking for about 20 years (I'm hitting 9) and has a nasty cough that makes me worry.

We're really looking into the e-cigs, and I think I may jump in, although I may backslide while I'm in the sandbox for a few months for lack of supplies.

Thanks!

momwolf
01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Day 2 of 901 cigs and I found myself puffing away more on this then on real cigs :noway:especially when I'm on computer.Guess that happens at first till you find the right strength for you.So today I tried just my Cherry juice(0 nicotine) and was just as satisfied with that as I was with the nicotine juice:shock: I decided to drip the juice right on the optimiser and boy does it make a lot more vapor (smoke) :yay: Still hard to get used to the weight of it (not like holding a cigarette) and wish the tip was round not flat.Feel like I got one of those small cigars with the tip on it in my mouth.:doh:
All in all I like the 901 and I get more used to everyday.I joined the e-cigs forum and have gotten LOTS of useful information to help me get used to the mechanical cigarette and how to use the juices (flavors and nicotine). I'm vaporing(smoking) the 901 now as I type this.LOVE the Cherry flavor.Had only 5 real cigs again today :woot:but I think that is great:woohoo:Good for me:hug:
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Ingrid how did you do today?

Ingrid
01-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I started with mine today, and I've had only 5 real cigs today! I don't think I've had 5 in a day since I was, oh, 14. :shifty:

Each time I had a real one, I expected it to be more satisfying than the e-cig, but it wasn't particularly better. :shrug:

I also was super-conscious of monitoring myself to see if I was craving anything. That, of course, made me use the e-cig that much more, though only a few puffs at a time. I'll get used to the whole idea and it will be easier now that I know that it does satisfy quite well.

I didn't bring any cigarettes into work with me today and used the fake one all day. So from 7:30 until 3:00 I was free of the crap. :cheering:

It's a start, for sure.

Ingrid
01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
OH--did anyone else find the instruction booklet translation as amusing as I did?:rofl:

Or should I verbalize, was the finding of the translating booklet-wise found to be an interestingly visual read?

momwolf
01-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Good for you Ingrid :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:
At first I thought it was a misprint till I kept reading :roflhard:

Mike
01-09-2009, 12:58 AM
I knew day 3 would be the worst, it always is.

I don't know if I was getting a nicotine OD like no other I've ever had but the e-cig was giving me panic attacks this morning and again tonight.
It could also be the addiction to the other things in cigarettes causing withdrawl. Afterall it was panic attacks (and Wellbutrin/Zyban, so don't bother suggesting that) that got me back to smoking cigarettes.
I had 4 cigarettes today and am going to try splitting the e-cig with a pipe tomorrow and until I can get some low nicotine liquid.
I tried one of the 0mg cartridges that came with it and it was terrible.

I have enough pipe tobacco that gives almost no nicotine joy so if it is nicotine OD causing the panic splitting it with a pipe should work. I just have to stay away from some of my pipe tobaccos that can give an OD on their own.

Yes it's easy to do nothing but puff away on the e-cig, and if you are inhaling every time it's easy to increase the amount of nicotine you're taking in.

I like the flat tip, it's like a pipe. But at first I had problems inhaling it because it reminded me of a pipe. Then on the first bowl I lit tonight I automatically inhaled and about died.
I also don't mind the weight (and mine is a penstyle so it's even heavier).
But right now I'm smoking a churchwarden (long hobbit type thing) and before it's done I'll have my calabash broken in again (Sherlock Holmes), between the two of those heavy, long and large are all covered.

The first cigarette I had today (about 36 hours without) didn't taste terrible, it actually tasted like one of my very first ones. The second one didn't taste too good.

Making fun of instruction book is forbidden to those using the e-cig.

OffJumpsJack
01-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Been clean since 1972. And, still alive. :woot:

Congratulation, ArtLady. May you have many more years to celebrate your achievement!

Thanks for the news, Mason. Last I'd heard of these things was that they were subject to FDA regulation as a drug delivery system. Didn't know they had reached retail markets.

So these are OTC or is a Rx required?

I'm a non-smoker, but many family members are smokers (a few have quit). My wife quit in 1990 and is still clean. I can be difficult when smokers come to stay with us on holidays.

I have to admit (with guilt) my first thought was I need a pack of these e-cigs to offer smoking guest when they arrive. Well, they would be family and both I and my wife have trouble with azthma. I'm not that bad for thinking it, am I? :sad:

--Jack :guyknitting:

Ingrid
01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Making fun of instruction book is forbidden to those using the e-cig.

How can you not?:rofl:

I think it's a great idea to have some for your smoking guests, Jack. Tell them that it's either that or they go outside. It's your house. :shrug:
I only had 3 cigs so far today, and not really missing them.:happydance:

Knitting_Guy
01-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Glad to see some positive results so far, that's great as anything that keeps you from smoking is a good thing.

No RX needed, they're considered consumer items (at the moment).

Mike, nic OD is highly likely. 36mg is quite a bit of nic and an OD can cause the symptoms you described. I'd scale back on the nic if it were me.

As to "dripping". Yes, it does create a lot more vapor and many people do it, but if you choose to drip be prepared to replace your atomizer much more often as it was never designed for dripping and it will shorten it's life. At least that's what I have read. I believe that the practice of dripping is exactly why so many people suffer from frequent atomizer death.

The routine I use for vaping is to not try and make it equivalent to smoking, but instead I just take a few puffs here and there and then stick it in my short pocket or lay it down until I feel like a few more puffs.

Mike
01-09-2009, 08:17 PM
So these are OTC or is a Rx required?

They're kind of between government departments at the moment.
If they're not pushed as NRT it's not a drug, if they're pushed as NRT it's the wrong nicotine to be a drug.

I look for the FDA to put a stop to them soon. I just hope I'm off nicotine enough by that time that I won't need the liquid with the nicotine.

Mike, nic OD is highly likely. 36mg is quite a bit of nic and an OD can cause the symptoms you described. I'd scale back on the nic if it were me.

The routine I use for vaping is to not try and make it equivalent to smoking, but instead I just take a few puffs here and there and then stick it in my short pocket or lay it down until I feel like a few more puffs.
I didn't use 36mg, it was a bit much. When I did it was only a puff here and there.
I cut the 36mg down to 20mg, and I generally smoked the 24mg.
24mg was what it takes to get me over the desire to light up. Once I'm over that I put it down.
If it was an OD then maybe the FDA would be right in banning the liquid because it would have to build up unlike other NRTs or tobacco.

But I don't think it has anything to do with too much nicotine.
I've only had a few puffs off the e-cig today and while I was sleeping and I'm still a little panicky.

I think it's withdrawal making me not feel right coupled with "Chinese" and "untested in the US" that is giving my panic the opportunity to go wild.

So instead of cutting the cigs totally I'm going to cut back and have a couple in the morning and maybe one in the evening and also work in pipe tobacco.

I do plan on getting some 0mg stuff to make sure it's not a reaction to something else in the liquid.

Knitting_Guy
01-09-2009, 08:22 PM
They're kind of between government departments at the moment.
If they're not pushed as NRT it's not a drug, if they're pushed as NRT it's the wrong nicotine to be a drug.

I look for the FDA to put a stop to them soon. I just hope I'm off nicotine enough by that time that I won't need the liquid with the nicotine.

I didn't use 36mg, it was a bit much. When I did it was only a puff here and there.
I cut the 36mg down to 20mg, and I generally smoked the 24mg.
24mg was what it takes to get me over the desire to light up. Once I'm over that I put it down.
If it was an OD then maybe the FDA would be right in banning the liquid because it would have to build up unlike other NRTs or tobacco.

But I don't think it has anything to do with too much nicotine.
I've only had a few puffs off the e-cig today and while I was sleeping and I'm still a little panicky.

I think it's withdrawal making me not feel right coupled with "Chinese" and "untested in the US" that is giving my panic the opportunity to go wild.

So instead of cutting the cigs totally I'm going to cut back and have a couple in the morning and maybe one in the evening and also work in pipe tobacco.

I do plan on getting some 0mg stuff to make sure it's not a reaction to something else in the liquid.

Well ya never know, I guess a person could be allergic to PG or something. Anything is possible. I've never read or heard about such a thing but allergies can be like that.

It could be nic withdrawal. It's a tough drug to kick and it's possible you've developed a serious addiction to some other chemical(s) in tobacco smoke. There's more than 4,000 chemicals in that smoke and surely more than a few are addictive.

I hope you're able to kick it as it would benefit your health greatly (but you already know that).

Mike
01-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Panic is an odd thing.
I'm rational enough even when I'm panicking to know it just panic, but that doesn't stop it.
I was just crocheting away and hadn't had my pipe or a cigarette in a while so I took a puff off the e-cig and felt a twinge of panic. Nicotine wouldn't react that fast or from one puff so I'm pretty sure it's panic.

Realize that I hadn't smoked cigarettes for 1 1/2 years before I had panic come back in full force, I was even starting to cut back on my pipe. I finally gave in and had a cigarette.
Also at Christmas I ate too much and was about to gather up my stuff because I was panicking and then a cigarette calmed me down.
So cigarettes are tied to it whether it's a chemical thing or a mental thing.

I'm not giving up on quitting. I'm just not focusing on the e-cig as much. I'll have to get myself used to it slowly.

Knitting_Guy
01-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Panic is an odd thing.
I'm rational enough even when I'm panicking to know it just panic, but that doesn't stop it.
I was just crocheting away and hadn't had my pipe or a cigarette in a while so I took a puff off the e-cig and felt a twinge of panic. Nicotine wouldn't react that fast or from one puff so I'm pretty sure it's panic.

Realize that I hadn't smoked cigarettes for 1 1/2 years before I had panic come back in full force, I was even starting to cut back on my pipe. I finally gave in and had a cigarette.
Also at Christmas I ate too much and was about to gather up my stuff because I was panicking and then a cigarette calmed me down.
So cigarettes are tied to it whether it's a chemical thing or a mental thing.

I'm not giving up on quitting. I'm just not focusing on the e-cig as much. I'll have to get myself used to it slowly.
Well, I have to admit here that I've never experienced the feeling of panic so I won't pretend to understand it. I just hope ya can manage it.

Sknitter56
01-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm surprised at how many of us knitters are/were smokers! I, too, smoked for years and years, but then I moved down to Savannah and it must be something in the air, but my asthma, which has been dormant for over 20 years, came back with a vengeance. I've heard from lots of people that the air here is bad for people with allergies. Anyway, I tried everything and then my asthma doctor prescribed the Chantix. It worked! :woohoo: :woohoo:
I've not smoked for over a year and have no inclination to smoke now. I did have to deal with some pretty weird nightmares, but that seemed to be the only side effect I had, thank goodness. It sure feels good not to need a cigarette anymore. My husband quit with me a year ago, but he's just recently started back!!! I could kick his a@#, but as long as he keeps it outside and not in my car, I guess I'll deal with it. Hopefully, he'll decide to quit again because I think he's getting tired of the dirty looks I give him everytime he goes outside to smoke.

Mike
01-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Just so you know, that might make it worse. I know it does with me.
The more dirty looks I get or lectures I hear (even when I've quit cigarettes) the more I want one.

Knitting_Guy
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm in your neck of the woods this weekend. Am holed up in a motel in Richmond Hill.

Chantix is known to work well for quitters, but as a trucker I am not allowed to take it. It's banned for use by truckers by the FMCSA.

I'm surprised at how many of us knitters are/were smokers! I, too, smoked for years and years, but then I moved down to Savannah and it must be something in the air, but my asthma, which has been dormant for over 20 years, came back with a vengeance. I've heard from lots of people that the air here is bad for people with allergies. Anyway, I tried everything and then my asthma doctor prescribed the Chantix. It worked! :woohoo: :woohoo:
I've not smoked for over a year and have no inclination to smoke now. I did have to deal with some pretty weird nightmares, but that seemed to be the only side effect I had, thank goodness. It sure feels good not to need a cigarette anymore. My husband quit with me a year ago, but he's just recently started back!!! I could kick his a@#, but as long as he keeps it outside and not in my car, I guess I'll deal with it. Hopefully, he'll decide to quit again because I think he's getting tired of the dirty looks I give him everytime he goes outside to smoke.

Knitting_Guy
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Just so you know, that might make it worse. I know it does with me.
The more dirty looks I get or lectures I hear (even when I've quit cigarettes) the more I want one.

Yeppers, I am exactly the same way. Contrarian by nature

GinnyG
01-12-2009, 06:20 AM

Chantix is known to work well for quitters, but as a trucker I am not allowed to take it. It's banned for use by truckers by the FMCSA.

I'm keeping track of the responses to this post out of "clinical" interest. I'm hoping you are all successful in your efforts, and applaud you for giving it a go.

I brought this product up last week at a meeting with the Physician who supervises my program, he had not heard of it.

Chantix is baned by FMCSA? I did not know that Chantix was on anyon's b anned list so am interested in that. What is FMCSA? Do you know why it is banned? I have been wracking my brain trying to think if I have any "truck driver" patients, don't think I do. The majority of my patients come from a Wellness program at a locak University so I have not run into that issue.

Knitting_Guy
01-12-2009, 08:59 AM
There are a number of drugs and medical conditions which disqualify a person from operating a commercial vehicle, Chantix being one of them.

The FMCSA made this advisory ruling after a public health advisory regarding Chantix was released by the FDA which states, among other things, that it may interfere with the ability to drive or operate heavy equipment.

I should say that the FMCSA does not directly "ban" any drugs, but advices those physicians that do our medical certifications that they should not certify any driver who is taking this drug and to consider it an immediate medical disqualification.

There are even over the counter cold medicines and such, like Benedryl, which are medical disqualifiers for us. We have to be very careful about what we put into our systems.

I'm keeping track of the responses to this post out of "clinical" interest. I'm hoping you are all successful in your efforts, and applaud you for giving it a go.

I brought this product up last week at a meeting with the Physician who supervises my program, he had not heard of it.

Chantix is baned by FMCSA? I did not know that Chantix was on anyon's b anned list so am interested in that. What is FMCSA? Do you know why it is banned? I have been wracking my brain trying to think if I have any "truck driver" patients, don't think I do. The majority of my patients come from a Wellness program at a locak University so I have not run into that issue.

OffJumpsJack
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Chantix is banned by FMCSA? I did not know that Chantix was on anyone's banned list so am interested in that. What is FMCSA?

GinnyG, FMCSA is the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration www.fmcsa.dot.gov if you wish to research further. I don't have a CDL but Google helped me find that answer using "CDL and FMCSA" in the search box.

Panic attack, I had just one; it was a few years ago but I remember it very clearly. :oo: I was sitting in the dentist chair and they were pumping me full of Novocain. Suddenly, I felt my heart rate start increasing like someone has tromped on my accelerator pedal. I just knew it was approaching the red line on some tachometer and there was no hope of shifting up to a higher gear. The dentist realized what was happening to me so he took the needle out and talked me down.

A Panic attack is quite different than just dealing with a highly stressful situation. For instance, last winter here in North Carolina we had a snow event that produce 4 to 6 inches of slush on our roads. Since I learned to drive in the snow belt in north western PA I wasn't concered about my driving in those conditions. I was tooling up a shallow incline at about 45 mph (in a front-wheel-drive Saturn) when my backend wanted decide to pass my front end. I was now facing traffic in all three lane of the Interstate and you would expect a bit of adrenaline. I felt no panic; I was cool and already had the car in neutral and coasting backward up the interstate. I put it in reverse and backed my car over to the burm/exit ramp and was able to pull a one-point turn and pull back onto the interstate before the traffic arrived.

I think that slide was because I had taken my foot off the gas and my rear tire must have been hydroplaing on the slush. I'm thinking I might have done better just to keep a steady foot on the gas and let the front tires pull me out of the slide. Instead I was trained in snow on a rear-wheel-drive car so expected it to straten out by going letting off the gas and shifting to neutral. FWD and RWD are quite different beast when it comes to slides. I don't plan on pulling any 180 turns just to learn how it happened. Well, I did learn the importance of having good tread on the back tires as well as on the front tires. :roll:

Hey Mason, I hope you don't hate me because my Saturn gets 35 miles to the gallon... :)

Keep on Truckin' :thumbsup:

--Jack

Mike
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
If that was more than a simple filling they might have had epinephrine mixed in with the novacaine.
They warned my sister about the effects of epinephrine before a root canal and she said it's good they did or else she would've thought it was a panic attack. As long as you know you have a reason for the panic it makes it much more tolerable.
Her panic pretty much went away with menopause, I don't think I'm going to have that luxury.

My dentist knows I have panic disorder. I would hope he knows to get it over with rather than take the needle out to talk me down. The dental assistants are constantly asking if I'm OK because when they're not working on me I'm shaking like a leaf. And that is while taking plenty of Xanax.

I do have another visit coming up for another cap and that could be part of my panic at the moment. I haven't touched the e-cig for a couple of days, have been smoking less than a half pack of cigarettes with pipes and cigars the rest of the day and I'm still panicky.

I wouldn't be so shocked about Chantix not being safe for truckers to drive with.
There is a class action suit in the works against it just like their should've been against Zyban.
I equate these modern brain chemical drugs that they're throwing at every disorder and annoying habit to LSD. They work very similarly by throwing one little receptor out of whack.
Would you want truckers driving around on LSD? It may not act like that with 99 out of 100 but that 1 could do a lot of damage.

Don't get me wrong, I think all these SSRIs, dopamine adjusters and non-SSRI serotonin adjusters are a great leap and on the right track. But I think they need to stop blindly tossing them around.
They need to figure out a way to test who needs which adjustment rather than "here, try this and see what it does".

miccisue
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I've been watching this topic intently, wondering if I should make the jump to "vaping". Currently, I smoke 3-4 cigs a day. I know, I know....I've heard it all before "if that's all you smoke, why not just quit".
I used to go through 1 - 1 1/2 packs a day, but got myself down this far. Like Mike, I have panic disorder - have had since my early teens, and at that time nobody had a clue as to what the heck a panic attack was so I was really in no man's land - and believe that has a lot to do with my smoking. I do notice that when I'm away from home, I do smoke more - again, I attribute that to the panic disorder and being away from the "safe and familiar". So, to me it seems like maybe it is more the action, rather than the actual nicotine, which is the motivator for me...although I will admit, when highly nervous, that first "hit" is amazingly calming.
Anyway, what I'm wondering (and I know this sounds ridiculous considering what all is in cigs) is how safe is the stuff that's being inhaled by "vaping"? I mean, we know the long term effects of cigs...but does vaping run a higher risk of short term, equally bad consequences? I keep thinking of people that have aspirated, and end up with fatal pnuemonia, or lung infections, and that type of thing....something that buries you sooner than later.
So, how safe are the flavors, etc. that are used when vaping? How safe is inhaling liquid as opposed to smoke?
Please don't think I'm stupid....it's just that these are two different substances, and I wonder if there is a chance the liquid and flavorings could be equally as bad and possibly cause problems earlier than regular smoking tends to.

Mike
01-12-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't know if I'd bother for 3-4 cigarettes a day, miccisue.
There's quite a bit of start up costs.

I signed up for a panic drug study once and about 2 hours later I had to call them back and unsign for it. The thought of taking untested drugs was too much.
I should've known these untested e-cigs would've been easier said that done.

That's just it, we don't know how safe vaping is. We assume it's safer but there's no real proof. We have no idea how much vaping nicotine compares to how much smoking.
We're also putting a lot of faith into Chinese businesses, the country that gave us beads made out of date rape drugs and toys painted with lead.

cheley
01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Beads made out of Date Rape Drugs?? What the --ll is that? Hopefully I am not "teaching" the art/craft of "beading" to my 6 year old using....DATE RAPE DRUGS

Mike
01-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Beads made out of Date Rape Drugs?? What the --ll is that? Hopefully I am not "teaching" the art/craft of "beading" to my 6 year old using....DATE RAPE DRUGS

Just one of the many recalls from Chinese made toys (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/442372/aqua_dots_recall_chinamade_toy_produced.html) for American kids.

momwolf
01-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Hey what happened to our e-cigarette forums (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/) :??:shrug:Says it's a suspended page:tap::hair:

Mike
01-14-2009, 02:38 AM
A problem with the host that can't be resolved, even temporarily (which I'm under the impression they were already under a temporary resolution). It will be a few days for the servers to be up. And the way that generally goes means a few days turns into a week.
The host may not have liked the content or maybe it got too much traffic and they wanted more money.

Knitting_Guy
01-14-2009, 11:00 PM
It's my understanding that it has something to do with excess CPU usage which of course means they want more money.

Hopefully it'll be resolved, or moved to a different server, before too long.

As for the safety of vaping, as Mike said no-one can provide a definitive answer to that. Just based on what we know about the known ingredients, it has to be better than smoke, but to what extent can't be said without actual studies being published.

I've read that a couple of universities may be prepared to conduct studies but have seen nothing definitive on that as of yet.

Ingrid
01-17-2009, 12:39 AM
We got a memo today reminding us that there is NO SMOKING anywhere on the grounds, even the parts that are not officially 'school grounds.' Anyone caught smoking will have to answer to the Superintendent. Apparently he's been driving by and has seen people outside.

Thanks to the information here, I haven't had a cig at work in over a week.:cheering: Two fellow smokers have since ordered their own.

So thank you!

Jan in CA
01-17-2009, 01:43 AM
That's awesome, Ingrid!

Knitting_Guy
01-17-2009, 09:25 AM
We got a memo today reminding us that there is NO SMOKING anywhere on the grounds, even the parts that are not officially 'school grounds.' Anyone caught smoking will have to answer to the Superintendent. Apparently he's been driving by and has seen people outside.

Thanks to the information here, I haven't had a cig at work in over a week.:cheering: Two fellow smokers have since ordered their own.

So thank you!

That's great. I think these things are really going to be popular in short order.

miccisue
04-03-2009, 08:43 PM
OK, it's been eons since this was talked about.

How's everyone doing? Are you all liking it? Any problems with it?

Can someone fill me in so I know whether to give this a shot or not?

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Ingrid
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I, for one, have not bought myself a pack of cigarettes since January.:cheering::cheering: I have one once in a while, but the ecig is my main source of nicotine. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday. I'll be interested in what she says about it.

My plan is to work the nicotine level down slowly until I'm off it entirely.

The only thing I'd recommend is to have extra batteries and atomizers on hand since they don't last forever. I also like the battery that comes with the cord on it. Also, buying the liquid and empty cartridges is less expensive.

I've gotten two die-hard smokers to try it so far, and they like it, too.

Now that cigarettes are over $8.00 a pack, I'm very happy!

cheley
04-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I, for one, have not bought myself a pack of cigarettes since January.:cheering::cheering: I have one once in a while, but the ecig is my main source of nicotine. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday. I'll be interested in what she says about it.

My plan is to work the nicotine level down slowly until I'm off it entirely.

The only thing I'd recommend is to have extra batteries and atomizers on hand since they don't last forever. I also like the battery that comes with the cord on it. Also, buying the liquid and empty cartridges is less expensive.

I've gotten two die-hard smokers to try it so far, and they like it, too.

Now that cigarettes are over $8.00 a pack, I'm very happy!$8.00 a pack:passedout: I was complaining about $5 and something...OMG where do you live?

Ingrid
04-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I live in good old tax-them-til-they-drop New York. The taxes just went up on April 1st, which coincides with the basic rise in price.

Mike
04-03-2009, 10:34 PM
I couldn't get over panic attacks about ingesting something from China.
I save mine for times when I can't smoke, which also are times when I'm most likely to be on Xanax so the panic is not as much of an issue.

I have cut my cigarette smoking down to about a half a pack a day with pipe smoking.

Knitting_Guy
04-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I use mine most of the time and only resort to real cigs when I run low on cartridges and am someplace that still allows smoking.

Plantgoddess+
04-11-2009, 09:10 PM
I saw a Costco email where they had e-cigs for sale online for what looked like a decent price. I've told a couple of smoking friends about e-cigs, maybe with the price increase they'll check it out.