PDA

View Full Version : Soy wool?

AngieLanigan
12-30-2008, 05:19 PM
So I went to Michaels today to pick up some yarn since a lot of it's on sale. I bought several skeins of Patons SWS, which is 70% wool and 30% soy wool. I don't have any idea what I'm going to do with it, but it was so soft and fuzzy I couldn't resist!

My question is, has anyone used it before, and do you know if it felts well?

Oh, and the label says that "due to the unique nature of this product, slubs and irregularities, normally considered flaws are characteristic of the yarn..."

...what's a slub? LOL

MMario
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
a slub is a little clot of fiber. Isn't it nice for them to define iregularities as characteristics of the yarn? That way they save on quality control.

with 70% wool it should felt. The soy fiber (whiich is an extruded chemically created fiber - not a natural product) won't felt.

Mirl56
12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
I've knit a few things with it. I've never felted it, but I think it will felt nicely being 70% wool.

You really think it's soft? I made a hat/scarf/mittens for my nephew's then girlfriend last Christmas (now wife). I kept thinking I should apologize to her cause I didn't think it made a very soft scarf or mittens. Fine for the hat. , though.

This year I made http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTquant.html for myself. I love it and wear it all the time, being a headband it doesn't really touch sensitive skin. I was a bit disappointed that the color didn't change often enough for this small project. I used the color called Natural Navy and it's ended up with hardly any blue in it at all, mostly browns/tans, and I even cut some out hoping to get closer to some blues.

I did like the yarn overall, maybe just a little bit splitty.

PinkRoses
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
I didn't mind the actual yarn but I agree with not liking the color. I did a very thin scarf with it and that's one of the projects I've never finished. The little skein looked like great colors but it was knitting up all wrong for my tastes. I'll never buy it again but keep in mind there are many people out there that really enjoyed this one so to each their own. I also like many yarns that people don't care for so...there ya go.

dturner
12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
I found that it felted very well. I knitted a bowl from the book, One Skein Wonders, with it. Here is a pic.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2935715587_f54e1cd6bc.jpg

KnitClickChick
12-30-2008, 11:55 PM
I have used this, and don't really care for it. I kept running into knots and stray pieces of... something resembling grass/hay. I was also kind of disappointed that the finished item wasn't as soft as it felt in the skein.

suzeeq
12-30-2008, 11:59 PM
People have said it felts VERY well and fast, so you have to keep an eye on it.

I've got some I plan on making a Lizard Ridge throw/wrap with. Wouldn't use it for a sweater as it would be too itchy.

marlajap
12-31-2008, 12:38 AM
A lot of people that I know on Ravelry are crazy about SWS, particularly for felted things, like purses and such. They treat it as a suitable (less expensive) yarn sub for that which would normally be knitted/crocheted in Kureyon.

lelvsdgs
12-31-2008, 12:56 AM
I've used it several times to make Silver's Palindrome Scarf and I love it. It's really warm and I haven't found it to be too scratchy for my wool sensitive skin. Don't think I'd make a sweater out of it though. I'm going to Michael's tomorrow to pick some up to make a booga bag. It will be my first felting project...:)

ETA: I haven't run into problems like knots or wierd things in the yarn and I've used quite a bit of it. I guess it's the luck of the draw...

Jan in CA
12-31-2008, 12:58 AM
I found it way too itchy for me, but it does felt fast and would make a lovely bag or even mittens. ;)

AngieLanigan
12-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I love the little felted bag, thanks for sharing that pic. I'm not 100% sure yet what I want to make with it, but I do want to try my hand at felting something. Wool is so freaking expensive, and I got this stuff at a really good price.