PDA

View Full Version : All done..please check out on Watcha Knitting, Crochet or Knitting Question??

cheley
12-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi everyone...I just completed a Knitted "Tam", however the 1x1 rib (around the beg edge) seems to be a "little big"...I want to add a "crochet edge" to get the edge a little tighter without squashing everything together...Is there any particular crochet st I should use? Or should I just skip a few sts,and use a sc?? Is there any pat sts that might work out to tighten up the edge yet stretch too, just to keep the 1x1 kinda uniform??? Or should I just pu some sts and do a row of K:shrug: Thanks..BTW used the long tail co...

KnitTogether
12-31-2008, 06:33 PM
There are several different things you could do - certainly a single crochet skipping some stitches or a single using up two stitches every so often could also work - you might need to play with it a little so you didn't tighten it up too much. I love the crab stitch because it is decorative (you could even do it in a different color), and if you used a smaller needle, but not too small, it could serve to tighten it slightly. Are you familiar with the crab stitch? Just love it for borders on my knitted stuff! :)

cheley
12-31-2008, 06:53 PM
There are several different things you could do - certainly a single crochet skipping some stitches or a single using up two stitches every so often could also work - you might need to play with it a little so you didn't tighten it up too much. I love the crab stitch because it is decorative (you could even do it in a different color), and if you used a smaller needle, but not too small, it could serve to tighten it slightly. Are you familiar with the crab stitch? Just love it for borders on my knitted stuff! :) Yea, I am familiar with that stitch!!! Thanks, see sometimes it "pays" to post!!! Happy New Year!!!

Marria
12-31-2008, 07:31 PM
If you wanted to, you could also get some thin elastic and thread it through your ribbing horizontally.

Jan in CA
12-31-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't think crochet is as stretchy so be careful when you do it that it's not too tight. I recently used single crochet to stabilize/tighten the edge of a flip top mitten and it worked well, but I had to be careful. I skipped maybe two stitches across 4 inches or so.

cheley
12-31-2008, 10:46 PM
I don't think crochet is as stretchy so be careful when you do it that it's not too tight. I recently used single crochet to stabilize/tighten the edge of a flip top mitten and it worked well, but I had to be careful. I skipped maybe two stitches across 4 inches or so.Yea, my point.. exactly..my first "post" was in Crochet..I was looking for a specific "stretchy" pat st..I know that in the past when I have tried a "crochet st" to make a project "tighter" it doesn't (a crochet st) have enough "give"..Thank you Happy New Year!!:hug:

RuthieinMaryland
12-31-2008, 10:49 PM
I give up....what's the crab stitch? :)

TIA

Ruthie :knitting:

KnitTogether
12-31-2008, 11:11 PM
I give up....what's the crab stitch? :)

TIA

Ruthie :knitting:

To me, it feels like crocheting 'backwards', and is sometimes called the reverse SC stitch. If using as a border on knitting, I just play with a little, and different hook sizes, until I find one that matches what I am trying to achieve on a border look/gauge.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/stitches/stitches-reverse_sc.htm