PDA

View Full Version : January KH-KAL: Seamless blanket project!

Pages : [1] 2 3

ArtLady1981
01-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok, so here we are! January 1, 2009!

The "planning" thread has been closed...we can't post in it anymore, however, you might like to read the notes (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85180) that everyone posted. It was suggested that we close the planning thread and begin the actual KAL with fresh new thread.

The seamless blanket project can be worked in two ways:
1) the Log Cabin style
2) the Traditional Blocks/Squares style (using intarsia technique across the rows that removes the need to seam the blocks together)

Also, you can use up similar weights of STASH YARN, making your blanket into what I affectionately call a "seamless stashghan"! Many of our knitters are down with using up stash yarn, but others will purchase "on sale" yarn!

Whatever floats your boat! :teehee:

It should be made clear that this blanket doesn't have to be completed during the month of January. Many of you have other projects rolling, and cannot devote your undivided attention to the seamless blanket project! That's ok! Some of us just don't have enough stash yarn to finish the blanket...and that's ok, too! You can add rows and blocks to this blanket as stash yarn becomes available to you!

The Log Cabin free pattern (two sizes, two styles) is located here.
(http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/books/aplus/log_cabin.pdf)
Of course, the intarsia method for the Traditional Blocks/Squares style blanket is demonstrated here in Amy's video clips.

I began my Log Cabin (the Moderne baby blanket) this morning while DH and I were watching HANCOCK on OnDemand! :teehee:

I am using worsted weight acrylics, and a US8 needle.

OK, then! Let's roll!

PS: here is small photo of a finished Log Cabin Stashghan:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3186024847_27fa14b4b8_m.jpg

Lieuvena
01-01-2009, 03:59 PM
:yay: Yay. I got mine started. I'm doing the log cabin. I got my center square done and am on my second "log". Should we post progress pics as we go? I've never done a KAL before, so I really don't know what we do here.

ArtLady1981
01-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh let's definitely post progress photos! :cheering::cheering::cheering:

Reminder: always bind off with a right side facing you.

Jan in CA
01-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I would also like to add that you can do any pattern if log cabin isn't your thing. The idea is to make any blanket with stash yarn. :thumbsup:

AprilT
01-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi, Ladies!
I decided to do the adult Moderne LC in MDK. I will start my first block after I finish this post. I'm already having a blast and I haven't even started!:woohoo:
I have wanted to do a KAL with Artlady ever since I read an old post of a KAL you hosted, LOL! You were so meticulous and gave everyone so much information! Much nicer than the experience I had had with my one and only KAL.

I am using worsted weight acrylic/wool blend, size 8US needle. I plotted the colors as well as I could, I don't have enough in my stash to plan the whole 'ghan. However, that's part of the fun :wink:

Posting pics sounds great. Let me get off here and get started.

April

Dangles
01-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Oh oh oh! *raises hand* me me me!! Ok, now i must get started.... *looks left, looks right* checks yarn stash... trip out to ... yarn store... woot.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-01-2009, 11:45 PM
I'll be starting mine tomorrow, I went and smashed my finger last night (got the tip caught between the edge of the table and the top of the dining room chair... didn't think the table was that heavy! and No, it's not broken, just really bruised but the swelling has already gone down a LOT) and the baby kimono wasn't going so well afterwards (it's easy to see where my tension changed because i couldn't crook my pinky like i usually do to keep the tension even) and i frogged it...

tomorrow night i go to a SNB meetup... be the perfect thing to bring along :)

ArtLady1981
01-02-2009, 03:25 AM
I am doing the Moderne Baby Blanket Log Cabin style...and I have finished logs 1-3 and have cast on for log 4! :woot:

BTW: I use a slim Crystal Palace crochet hook to pull yarn through the edge for the "picking up stitches". It is so much easier. When I get about 20 stitches loaded onto the crochet hook then I slide them off the other end onto the knitting needle, turning them around in the right position as I go. I also place a stitch marker every 20 stitches so that I don't have to re-count stitches a zillion times.

Garter stitch may be boring, but it sure is easy to work on while watching old movies and such! We watched old movies all day...and the Dog Whisperer re-runs!

It's been torrential rain all day...really lousy sloppy foggy socked-in weather. Nice day to knit and hunker down on the sofa with 3 dogs!

Firey Vixxen
01-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I've started my Stashgan and the yarn of total evillness has finally started to behave... Only to find that it is a heavier weight than "Recommended". which means I've been playing with a calculator and measurements all afternoon to try to work out how to gain maximum destashability. so when I get back from our holidays I'm going to frog my second log, and redo it doubled up.

Lieuvena
01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
I am doing the Moderne Baby Blanket Log Cabin style...and I have finished logs 1-3 and have cast on for log 4! :woot:

BTW: I use a slim Crystal Palace crochet hook to pull yarn through the edge for the "picking up stitches". It is so much easier. When I get about 20 stitches loaded onto the crochet hook then I slide them off the other end onto the knitting needle, turning them around in the right position as I go. I also place a stitch marker every 20 stitches so that I don't have to re-count stitches a zillion times.

Garter stitch may be boring, but it sure is easy to work on while watching old movies and such! We watched old movies all day...and the Dog Whisperer re-runs!

It's been torrential rain all day...really lousy sloppy foggy socked-in weather. Nice day to knit and hunker down on the sofa with 3 dogs!

Thank you so much for that idea! I'm on my 4th log and was already starting to hate counting several times for each one. I will definatley be doing this. Thanks again. I'll post a pic at the end of the day.

I'm not sure how much I'll get to work on it today. DD (11 months old) is sick, she was up all night and is very clingy right now. I will work on it when I can though.

weezie
01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Everyone.... I got started on my log-cabin stashghan late yesterday afternoon after un-decorating from the holidays and getting a few other things done around the house, then the evening was devoted to this knew KAL. I'm using Caron Simply Soft and US6 needles in pastels for the baby size.

I just love the garter stitch as I can just knit, knit, knit and not think and most of the time, not even look, so it was perfect for watching some hockey last night. I was having so much fun, I stayed up way past midnight again last night, so am dragging a bit today... but I got blocks 1-3 done and a bit of block 4. I'm looking forward to working on it over this coming weekend too.

I thought at first my gauge must be off because the first two blocks seemed bigger than I had imagined they would for a baby size, but I measured gauge and all was fine, so did a little figuring based on the pattern picture and number of rows on the remaining blocks, and it should come out pretty close to the stated finished size, maybe a little bigger, but that won't matter. I'm not sure I'll have enough stash yet in the four colors I chose, but I'll improvise if I don't and add a couple more colors if I have to.

Glad to be a part of this KAL... my first... and so far, so good! I look forward to getting to "know" all of you through this project.

Happy New Year!

ArtLady1981
01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi Weezie! :waving: I noticed the same thing myself! The logs for the baby blanket size are much bigger than I thought they'd be!

But my gauge is ok...and since the overall size of my blanket doesn't matter much, I'm ok.

I think gauge would be a definite issue if some had purchased all the yarn specifically for this blanket. You wouldn't want to come up short on yarn, nor have a lot of yarn left over.

rachejm
01-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I've started and done 4 blocks but i'm just makin it up as i go along at the moment so i'm not worried about the size, when its big enough I will know! Startin to get a bit stuck now tho cos I don't have a circ in the right size, been using straights and am now beginning to run out of room! Hope my options turn up soon!

ArtLady1981
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I have completed logs 1-4...and will pick up 96 stitches with the pink for log 5 along the top edge of this photo below!

These are my 4 colors...and I hope they will take me to the finish line.
Pink is log 1, purples is log 2, teal is log 3, and rainbow is log 4.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/3161073507_4ca055f5e2.jpg?v=0

All of these yarns are leftovers from sweaters I've made my grandbabies! Some of these yarns are 7 years old! Sigh.
That means that my grandbabies are now grandchildren! :pout:
I miss their chubby little legs, arms and cheeks!

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
That's REALLY pretty!!!!

ArtLady1981
01-02-2009, 10:38 PM
What's neat is that I can remember every sweater I made using each of these yarns! And so can the kids!

:cheering:

Lieuvena
01-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Here's what I have so far. I wanted to get done with the cream colored log tonight, but I had to redo the dark green one over do to an unfortunate incident involving my 3yo DS and a pair of scissors!!! Lesson learned, don't leave them alone together. Sometimes I forget what he's able to reach now.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just making it up as I go!

Dangles
01-03-2009, 12:42 AM
is casting on... cept.. not in all the colours i wanted :(

Karina
01-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Artlady - I love the story behind your blanket. Bet all the memories come floding back as you are working on it. Makes this an even more precious knit. looks great.

Lieuvena - your blanket looks great so far. I have a 2.5 year old daughter which is the reason I use circular needles for everything, harder to for her to pull the stitches off. How do you like your Options/Harmony?

Lieuvena
01-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Lieuvena - your blanket looks great so far. I have a 2.5 year old daughter which is the reason I use circular needles for everything, harder to for her to pull the stitches off. How do you like your Options/Harmony?

Thanks. I LOVE them. I just bought a cable and one pair of size 7 in both to see which ones I liked before I took the plunge. It was hard to decide but I love the Options! I will be ordering them very soon. I will probably get the Harmony dpns later.

ArtLady1981
01-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Here's what I have so far. I wanted to get done with the cream colored log tonight, but I had to redo the dark green one over do to an unfortunate incident involving my 3yo DS and a pair of scissors!!! Lesson learned, don't leave them alone together. Sometimes I forget what he's able to reach now.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, I'm just making it up as I go!

Lieuvena! Your log cabin is looking great! Your pattern stitch is nice and even! The picked up rows look very neat and well-arranged, too! :thumbsup:

dreamsherl
01-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to post the progress that I have made on my crib blanket. I have completed four blocks. I also made a color chart to help myself.

ArtLady1981
01-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Very well organized, Dreamsheryl! Thanks for posting your progress! I like your logs! Good colors!

I am working on log#6, have about 10 ridges done...but didn't get as far today as I'd like. I had to take a quick sidetrip :knitting: and knit myself an emerald green cabled scarf to wear with my Jenny Cloche. I about froze to death today when DH and I were out and about. I needed a scarf!

I will get the scarf finished within about 4 hours from now...and will finish log#6 tomorrow and prolly log#7 as well.

Knit knit knit! :knitting::knitting::knitting:

Hugs,

Artlady

auntcrafty
01-04-2009, 10:36 PM
I CO my blanket today. I had to recover from being awake for more than 60 hours (long story plus traveling back to Hawaii) and finish up my section of an Oddball Blanket before I could start a new project. I am using Bernat Softee in Bongo Blue, White, Baby Blue, & Funny Prints -- the blanket will be for a friend who was due February 5, but will probably be induced this week because her water broke.

Thanks for all the hints & suggestions!

Karina
01-05-2009, 02:14 AM
auntcrafty - I hope everything goes well for your friend. let us know when she has the baby.

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 04:42 AM
Here is a little photo demonstration on how I pick up stitches using a bamboo crochet needle:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3043/3169414635_084ff497cd.jpg?v=0

Here is a photo of how I use stitch markers across the 'pick up row' to keep track of sets of 10. It prevents me having to double back a million times and counting stitches til I'm bleary-eyed! :eyes:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1091/3170245380_017d5fc94c.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/3169422505_ed9bc35708.jpg?v=0

mommydearest
01-05-2009, 07:02 AM
This is my first KAL and I'm glad I don't have to finish within one month as I'm committed to my Central Park Hoody, which I started New Years Day. I'm going to find that thread shortly.

I've completed 3 sections in bright Christmas colors and I'm now hoping it won't be too bright but I really want to de-stash the brights. I'll attempt to post pics later today.

Everyones pics look great.

Thanks for starting this KAL and thread.

Mary

Karina
01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
This is what I have done so far. The first photo is how it was when I dragged it out of storage. the second is what it looks like today.

I have 6 skeins of Caron Simply soft brites. Teal, blue, purple, pink, yellow and lime. The centre patch is made using the Teal, the other five colours are used going around. I will carry on till I run out of yarn and use the Teal to finish it off. It is very bright but Maisey loves it so that is OK.

Lieuvena
01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Karina- I love the colors on your blanket!

I've gotten absolutely nothing done for the last 2 days. My 11 month old DD is just too sick. Today isn't looking too good either. She's still sick and we start back up with school after the holiday break (I home school my other 3 kiddos-all boys) I will be trying to squeak some knitting time in there if I can.

I :heart: how everyone's blankets are turning out.

Karina
01-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Lieuvena - I hope your daughter feels better soon. With homeschooling 3 boys I can imagine that you need the knitting just to keep sane.

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Karina! I just LOVE your blankie!!! LOVE LOVE! :heart::heart:
The colors are perfect!

Lieuvena! TCOB good mommie! The blanket will be there waiting when your family is up and running! I remember those days....

Thanks for checking in!

How's everyone else doing? I'm thinking that perhaps most folks will get started this week, now that New Years Eve and New Years Day, and the New Years shopping sales are ended!

Today is Jan 5th...and it is slushy raining here in the Greater Seattle area. My DH just went out the door...he'll be gone most of the day...and a knitting buddy is coming by at 11 am! So my day is looking very auspicious for my log cabin progress! :cheering:

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Here is my progress! The top log isn't done yet...but here it is anyway!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3080/3171385090_d3260eae65.jpg?v=0

Karina
01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Artlady - I can't believe how quick you are. Looks really great. How big is it now? Will you be carrying on working on just two sides or will you work some more on the other sides.

AprilT
01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
That really looks great, Artlady. I can't get over how nice all of your pics look! Everyone's colors are lovely.
I'm still chugging away on the first block--I am going to re-tile my bathrooms this year and I have started tearing the old tile out of the master bath this week. I'm on vaca so I need to get as far with the de-tiling as I can before I'm back at work. I also had a couple of quick knitted gifts I needed to finish. But, my knit group meets tonight at Starbucks and I'm taking my block along to work on. It's great for knitting and chatting at the same time. Did I mention my first block is...black? I really can't wait to get onto another color, LOL!
April

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm just going to follow the logs in order, 1-10, as shown in their diagram. I'm not very original when it comes to tweaking a pattern. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...is my motto! :teehee:

It is rather boring...but...I just bite the bullet and don't think about it. ;)

I like how it's turning out. I will measure it later. Didn't think to do that. I'll lay a tape measure beside the edges next time I take a photo.

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 04:37 PM
That really looks great, Artlady. I can't get over how nice all of your pics look! Everyone's colors are lovely.
I'm still chugging away on the first block--I am going to re-tile my bathrooms this year and I have started tearing the old tile out of the master bath this week. I'm on vaca so I need to get as far with the de-tiling as I can before I'm back at work. I also had a couple of quick knitted gifts I needed to finish. But, my knit group meets tonight at Starbucks and I'm taking my block along to work on. It's great for knitting and chatting at the same time. Did I mention my first block is...black? I really can't wait to get onto another color, LOL!
April

Oh April! That sounds very dramatic! I like the concept of log#1 being black! Cool! Can hardly wait to see a photo of your blankie when logs 1-4 are done! Enjoy your Starbucks tonight! :woot:

rachejm
01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm just plugging quietly away making it up as I go. Its nice not following a pattern, doesn't matter if i mess up because it becomes a deliberate design feature. Its currently about 12 inches by 13 inches and I've started my 8th log.

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey rach!!! I am IMPRESSED! Log #9! :woot:

Dangles
01-05-2009, 07:45 PM
*raises her hand* Dangles reporting in.

I am on block three ... again... I had to rip it out as I noted some errors in block one - I dropped a stitch (gosh darn late night knitting). good thing it was only a few rows in.

As for colours... the version I wanted to do was no do-able as the colours I wanted were not the right shade. When I am done more of third block I will post some pictures.. then I have to really decide on colour four.

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I know what you mean about the color coordinating. I am kinda the same way.

However, interestingly enough...the Mason-Dixon gals said they always have a hodge-podge log cabin in the works, one in dk weight leftovers, and one with worsted weight leftovers. They also said they do not color plan...they just tack on whatever leftover yarn is available from the most recent FO. In other words, I don't think they let orphan partial skeins build up.

It is an intersting concept. Like the soup my mom used to make on Friday nights. It contained all kinds of leftovers from Sun-Thurs meals! Oddly, it really was good, and with hot homemade bread to go with!

miccisue
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not doing either suggested pattern, I'm just using stash yarn to make "regular" afghans. I do the garter stitch border with stockinette in the middle. I figure as long as the yarn is getting used up, and I'm getting something warm out of it, it doesn't matter (and this way I'll do it - the log cabin and whatchamacallit style look like they'd become more of a chore than a pleasure and the "stashghan" would never get finished).

Yes, I am perverse that way.:teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm not doing either suggested pattern, I'm just using stash yarn to make "regular" afghans. I do the garter stitch border with stockinette in the middle. I figure as long as the yarn is getting used up, and I'm getting something warm out of it, it doesn't matter (and this way I'll do it - the log cabin and whatchamacallit style look like they'd become more of a chore than a pleasure and the "stashghan" would never get finished).

Yes, I am perverse that way.:teehee:

:hug: WELCOME SISTER! :hug:

A stashghan IN any style is GREAT!!! :thumbsup:

weezie
01-06-2009, 12:56 AM
I love everyone's colors so far and the ideas are awesome! I have in the back of my mind an idea of doing another one using black as a main color and border and then jewel colors for other blocks... would probably have to graft that one out though as I'm not good with color placement either.

I'm still going on my baby stashghan and getting somewhere, but just got the pics from camera to the computer today so will try to post them and see if it works.

I'm having a great time working on this and meeting all of you!

:happydance:

ArtLady1981
01-06-2009, 05:53 AM
I love your color scheme weezie! They are very refreshing and crisp! Great work! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Well, log#7 was a real marathon! (the large left hand purple log) Phew! 36 ridges and 114 stitches wide. Gads. But here it is...log#8 will be picked up along the top most edge...tomorrow. The photo was taken at 2 am...so the lighting isn't that great. Oh, yeah...I put a yardstick down to measure the width, but you can't read the writing very well. It is 30" wide and 28" tall...so far. I am almost out of pink...the remaining pink ball is about the size of an orange. It won't get me very far if I use it even partially on any major log. So I'll have to re-tool the color arrangement.
I'm using the light teal green for log#8.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3126/3173693146_aa7906e57b.jpg?v=0

Lieuvena
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Weezie- Your blanket looks great. I love the colors you chose.

Artlady- You amaze me with your ability to get so much done. I'm sure however you re-tool it, it will look amazing!

As for me, I finally managed to get the cream colored block done. I am now on log 8. I will post a picture later in the day. Hopefully I can get some more done. Baby is still a bit sick, but getting better.

Dangles
01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Ok KHers... don't be scared of my poor knitting skills.. here goes some pictures... This is my first KAL and i am learning how to pick up stitches as well.

I've got the last colour to choose as if finish off the third block. The colours so far are: Aran, Chocolate Brown (it is a warm colour), and "Soft Heather" (which reminds me of a sand on a beautiful beach. I am leaning to "1" as it has a warmer feel.

Things I did to help me 'cheat':
- Purled the selvedge edges to make the pick of stitches easier.
- Did not BO, kept live stiches on a cable so I don't have so many stitches to pick up.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.flickr.com/photos/14553155@N06/3174429264/%22%20title=%22Untitled%20by%20Dangles%20Knits,%20 on%20Flickr%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/3174429264_fab3c39ddc.jpg%22%20width=%22500%22%20h eight=%22375%22%20alt=%22%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/3173603747_b864f97a89.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3133/3174429264_fab3c39ddc.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=)">
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14553155@N06/3173603747/in/photostream/

Lieuvena
01-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I think your knitting looks great. I like both colors, but I really like the blue. It just seems like it would really pop out in your blanket. If that even makes since!

I also slip the first stitch and purl the last stitch of each row to help pick up stitches. I have also been binding off with a larger needle size to help out.

DD is sleeping right now and the boys are reading, so I'm off to knit!:-P

ArtLady1981
01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Dangles and Lieuvena: Thanks for sharing the great tips! :thumbsup:
Dangles, I love the warm colors you've done so far!!!
I love the blue, but I also love the cream.

Here is a LOG CABIN that is in my Ravelry FAVS. It was knit by "sister". If I could afford to knit a log cabin just for me...it would be just like hers:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/2291975233_cd84df97d7.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2045/2498261112_8e3af9e9c4.jpg

She used 4 shades of brown Cascade Ecological Wool. Her blanket took 8 skeins total, according to her notebook.

So my 'vote' would be to use the cream as your 4th color...it would create a great monochromatic theme like "sister's", but Lieuvena is right about the blue. It would be a great contrast and 'pop' the blanket!

As I type these words you've prolly already chosen between the two...and I am certain whatever you chose will be great! :thumbsup: You have very good taste and a good eye for color!

And you have a great eye for color, too, Lieuvena!

I am working on log#9 now...picked up the 126 stitches last night and did 3 ridges...then just had to quit for the night. :eyes:

Knit on good women! :knitting::knitting::knitting:

Jan in CA
01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
That is gorgeous! I love the browns, but alas there's little of it in my stash. I may make myself one like this eventually, but for now they'll probably go to charity.

I just got home last night so I'll be getting my stuff together today.

luvmykid28
01-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Artlady,
Thanks for posting "sister" blanket. It has inspired me. I think I am really on the verge of starting a log cabin blanket. I know I have the stash for it. I want to finish up a hat that has been giving a heck of a time for my DD. Then, I will join the fun.

ArtLady1981
01-06-2009, 05:01 PM
"Sister" aka Terry from Maryland...used the Moderne Log Cabin design...the full size. Not the baby size Moderne.

Here is a LINK (http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/log_cabin.pdf). Her blanket is the one on the left hand side.

kellybigeyes
01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
ArtLady... I am thinking about trying out a log cabin dishcloth. I have never done the log cabin before. I saw your picture on picking up sts with a crochet hook. I have never picked up sts before. My question is this....

Do you use a crochet hook that is smaller than the knitting needles or one that is about the same size?

My other question which is a silly I think.... :???: Once you get the sts on the hook... do you just transfer them to the needle?

Samsam
01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey, I'm glad I've found this thread!
I've been wanting to make a blanket that I can bring to college with me. I want to use dishcloth patterns of all sorts of things I like for example there is a maple leaf cloth, New York state cloth etc. I drew out what it would look like and how much squares I would need and it was a lot and the thought of seaming them all has put my project on hold. I was wondering how I can do it seamlessly but still use the images I want to.
I'm going to use all the worsted weight washable wool I have in my stash then buy more when I've used it all and they'll all be different color squares.

Thanks!

auntcrafty
01-07-2009, 01:23 AM
auntcrafty - I hope everything goes well for your friend. let us know when she has the baby.

Everything went well -- baby boy was born Monday afternoon. He has been needing to stay in the NICU because he was born so early, but my friend says he is doing great. Little guy was 5 lbs 6oz, 19.5 pounds. Now I have to really get going on the blanket!

Karina
01-07-2009, 04:08 AM
Penny - thanks for letting us know. Congratulations to the family on their little bundle of joy. better get them needles out.

ArtLady1981
01-07-2009, 04:40 AM
ArtLady... I am thinking about trying out a log cabin dishcloth. I have never done the log cabin before. I saw your picture on picking up sts with a crochet hook. I have never picked up sts before. My question is this....

Do you use a crochet hook that is smaller than the knitting needles or one that is about the same size?

My other question which is a silly I think.... :???: Once you get the sts on the hook... do you just transfer them to the needle?

I pick the stitches up at the "head end" of course, and after I have about 10-20 stitches crammed onto the crochet hook...I slide them off the crochet hook at the "tail end" one at a time onto the awaiting knitting needle.

No, the crochet hook isn't the same size as the knitting needle. It is smaller. I make it as small as possible, but not so small that the stitches won't load onto the knitting needle. I make them as small as possible so that the pick up row of stitches hugs against the existing edge as closely as possible. I don't want the picked up stitches to have any 'legs'.

When transferring the picked up stitches from the crochet hook onto the knitting needle you have to turn them around so that they are ready to knit on the next regular row. As you pick them up they are turned around. You'll get it when you see it.

ArtLady1981
01-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Hey, I'm glad I've found this thread!
I've been wanting to make a blanket that I can bring to college with me. I want to use dishcloth patterns of all sorts of things I like for example there is a maple leaf cloth, New York state cloth etc. I drew out what it would look like and how much squares I would need and it was a lot and the thought of seaming them all has put my project on hold. I was wondering how I can do it seamlessly but still use the images I want to.
I'm going to use all the worsted weight washable wool I have in my stash then buy more when I've used it all and they'll all be different color squares.

Thanks!

Yes, you can do them seamlessly using the 'intarsia' technique. There is a video clip here at KH.

Basically, here's what you do: let's say you want your blanket to be 4 big squares across and 6 squares tall. Let's say each square is 30 stitches wide. So cast on 120 stitches using your border color. Then on row 1...using color A, knit 30 stitches for square #1...using color B, knit 30 stithces for square #2...etc...repeat same process for colors C & D.

Turn the work for row 2: work your 30 stitch pattern in color D (square #4)...drop color D, pick up color C (square #3) and twist the two color around each other to prevent a hole and continue on with the 30 st in pattern for square #3.

Etc.

The 'twisting around each other" is the intarsia technique. You can watch the video clip. It is so incredibly easy you might not even need to watch the video...but do so anyway so that your intarsia is neat in the back.

Log #9 for the Moderne baby size LOG CABIN requires intarsia technique, too, cuz log #9 has two color blocks side by side. I'm busy with that log right now.

Let us know if you need any more help! Don't feel embarrassed or shy about asking more questions. :hug:

weezie
01-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi everyone... I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I was reading ahead in the pattern because I had seen ArtLady's post on the planning thread about some corrections, and now I have a question... and maybe you can answer it ArtLady since you're on block 9 now.

The pattern says pickup and knit 54 and 54 sts in colors B and D for 108 sts. The correction says to place marker at 63 ridges and pick up and knit 54 and 54 sts for 108 sts. BUT... considering you pick up one stitch from each bound off stitch and/or each end ridge, there should be 126 sts along the edges of blocks 1,3,5, and 7... which is also the number of stitches wide block 8 is at the top, which is the same length.

So, did I miss something in the correction? If you place a marker at 63 ridges, which would be the middle (it looks like anyway!), wouldn't that be 126 sts... the same as block 8? I'm pretty sure this is probably what it is, but thought I'd bring it up here for any new knitters who are a little math challenged... or to straighten me out if I'm not correct!

If you pick up and knit 54 sts within the 63 ridges before and after the marker, you would have puckers, correct?

Just checking before I get to that point and making sure I'm going to do it correctly when I get there.... I'm about halfway through block 7 now.... these blocks are getting bigger and taking longer! I like the baby stashghan so far and will probably drag out some other stash and go for a big one next time.

Jaxhil
01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Everyone's doing so well!!
Artlady, I *love* that afghan by sister you posted :inlove: so beautiful!!

I have been working on my squares, now I have 14.5 done..and my squares are done from corner to corner in garter stitch, like Granny's Favorite Dishcloth, so I can't figure out if it'd be easier to seam them together at the end or try to do like you suggested Artlady, and pick up stitches from the previous square while knitting the new one :hmm:

But at least I'm working on it, at any rate! I'd love it if I could actually FINISH it this month! ;) We'll see!

ArtLady1981
01-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi everyone... I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I was reading ahead in the pattern because I had seen ArtLady's post on the planning thread about some corrections, and now I have a question... and maybe you can answer it ArtLady since you're on block 9 now.

The pattern says pickup and knit 54 and 54 sts in colors B and D for 108 sts. The correction says to place marker at 63 ridges and pick up and knit 54 and 54 sts for 108 sts. BUT... considering you pick up one stitch from each bound off stitch and/or each end ridge, there should be 126 sts along the edges of blocks 1,3,5, and 7... which is also the number of stitches wide block 8 is at the top, which is the same length.

So, did I miss something in the correction? If you place a marker at 63 ridges, which would be the middle (it looks like anyway!), wouldn't that be 126 sts... the same as block 8? I'm pretty sure this is probably what it is, but thought I'd bring it up here for any new knitters who are a little math challenged... or to straighten me out if I'm not correct!

If you pick up and knit 54 sts within the 63 ridges before and after the marker, you would have puckers, correct?

Just checking before I get to that point and making sure I'm going to do it correctly when I get there.... I'm about halfway through block 7 now.... these blocks are getting bigger and taking longer! I like the baby stashghan so far and will probably drag out some other stash and go for a big one next time.

Hi Weezie! Ya know, I totally forgot that there was a correction for log#9! :doh: You just pick up 1 stitch in every ridge, that's it. If you want log#9 to appear as two squares, ya pick up 63 stitches in one color, and 63 in the other color. Of course, the 63 stitches are picked up across numerous previous logs...but don't pay attention to that so much as picking up the 63 in one color, and 63 in the other color: 1 stitch per ridge that you come to. My log#9 is coming along fine. I actually made my log#9 a bit different. I didn't make the log into two equal squares. I made the first section wider than a square, and the 2nd section narrower than a square. This was due to my yarn issues. I have a lot of one color left, and not so much of the other.

kellybigeyes
01-07-2009, 05:01 PM
I am trying a smaller (dishcloth) size version of the log cabin. It has been a disaster. :hair: I have the Mason Dixon Knitting book. On pg 68 (How to Log Cabin) they mention when binding off, you should leave the last st on the needle then turn the square 90 degrees to the right then pick up sts. Does anyone else leave that last st on the needle or do you bind off completely? If you leave the last st, do you cut the yarn, if so, how long do you leave the tail? Also.... I am having a very hard time figuring out where to pick up the sts. I know it is supposed to be 1 for each garter ridge, but with the way the yarn is wrapped around the edge... I can't figure out what "loop" to stick my hook into to pick up the st. Please help. I would love to learn how to do this!! It can't be that hard... it's only garter st. :eyes:

Thanks so much!!

ArtLady1981
01-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes, I leave that last stitch WHEN the next log to be picked up is right round the corner aka a sharp left hand turn. Remember, all bind off rows are RIGHT SIDE facing.

When you bind off for log #7 on the baby size...your next log#8 isn't right around the corner. I bound off all stitches when I ended log#7.

You could just as easy bind off all stitches for every log that you complete, and pick up fresh stitches for the next log in line.

I leave the tails til ridge 2 is complete...then I tie the two tails together (eg: the tail from the end of log#6 and the tail from the starting of log#7) and weave them in. I do not wait til the entire log cabin is done and then spend an eternity weaving in a million tails! :eyes:

As for picking up stitches on a 'bind off edge' of the another log...I insert my crochet hook in the front leg. When picking up stitches along a 'side edge of another log', I insert my crochet hook in a bump in the front.

Just experiment with whatever looks best to you. The secret to a neat looking transition (pick up row) is to do the exact same thing for each stitch. Keep it uniform.

My camera battery is dead...so I can't take a photo for you. Maybe later.

kellybigeyes
01-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks... I saw somewhere in the thread where someone slips the first st and then purls the last st. Would this be of any great help to me?

Lieuvena
01-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks... I saw somewhere in the thread where someone slips the first st and then purls the last st. Would this be of any great help to me?

That's what I do. It makes it easier to pick up stitches because it leaves a clear space (a larger "hole") to see and put your needle through. When you go to pick up stitches on your bind off side then there will be no clear "hole". For this I bind off in a larger needle size than I am knitting in. I'm knitting my blanket with a 7 and I bind off with a 10 1/2. There is still no "hole" but it is much easier to see the ridge and get me needle through. I hope that helps.

kellybigeyes
01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks so much!! I will try that tomorrow. I can't wait!!

ArtLady1981
01-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Here is how I pick up stitches.

On a garter ridge edge, pick up in the front bump:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3364/3178234617_de62f40bc4.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/3178236295_0d945f926e.jpg?v=0

From a bind-off surface, pick up in a front leg:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3491/3179073058_a6c1367bba.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/3178235905_480713f535.jpg?v=0

Sorry the two purple photos are a bit blurry.

Dangles
01-08-2009, 01:28 AM
What I do, is slip the first stitch purl-wise then knit the last stitch. Where I am supposed to BO I don't, I leave the stitches live on a cable, so it's less to pick up.

Lieuvena
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Artlady- I pick up through both the bottom and the top strand on a bind off side. Is that not necassary? I really like how it has been turning out that way though. I will try to post pics later, but I have a very busy day today. I actually go through both on a knit side as well, which is why the slipping and purling helps.

Does it make the back more "presentable" picking up through one strand only? Could you post pictures of your backside? (The blanket sillies!:rofl: )

ArtLady1981
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
What matters most is that you are consistent on any given pickup row! I'm sure your picked-up rows will look just great!

On some of my pickup rows, I picked up in the back leg, and on others I picked up on the front leg. I kinda feel my way along and see what I like best. ;) I finally decided that I like the front leg best, but that might be because of my particular yarn.

Ya live and ya learn on this one, being our first LOG CABIN! :woot:

I am 90% done with Log#9. Phew. What a marathon.
The blanket is getting hard to maneuver now...getting all twisted up from turning it back and forth for RS and WS.

Looks like I will have enough acrylic yarn to finish up with Log#10 after all! The homestretch! Then an edging of some kind. I'm not sure what kind of edging. Maybe something kind of feminine, like a shell stitch (crochet). My DGD is a girly girl.

Karina
01-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I can't believe you are nearly done and talking edgings.

My logs takes longer and longer and I just have to walk away sometimes. I do bring it with me when I wait for my son to come out of school.

I am so looking forward to sylvi. Hopefully it will be a bit more interesting and quick knit.

Jan in CA
01-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I started last night, but the biggest problem I'm having is I don't really have enough stash to work in the few colors of the blankets. Mine will have to be a log cabin blanket of many colors. :teehee:

Lieuvena
01-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Here are some pics of how I pick up stitches.

This is the edge of a knit row, where I slip the first and purl the last stitch. Notice the larger "hole", it makes it easy to see where to put your needle.
side view51521
top view51522

I push my needle through this hole and then pull the new color through.

51523 51524

Here is my bind off row.

Top view51525
side view51526

I stick my needle through both legs of the stitch and pull the new color through. I bind off with a larger needle to make this step easier for me.

51527 51528

Here's what the back looks like

and here is a close up of the front and back
back51530
front51531

The picture of the whole back shows where I actually am right now. And the pink yarn I used to show how I pick up stitches is not actually going into my blanket.

ArtLady1981
01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I started last night, but the biggest problem I'm having is I don't really have enough stash to work in the few colors of the blankets. Mine will have to be a log cabin blanket of many colors. :teehee:

I wouldn't hesitate to do 6-10 colors, Jan! I just happened to have an excess of kid colors, leftover from sweaters I had knit for grandbabies over the years!

Looking forward to seeing your blanket of many colors! :cheering:

kellybigeyes
01-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Lieuvena... do you slip the first st purlwise or knitwise?

Dangles
01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I can't wait to see your blanket =)

Dangles
01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
You could:

a) Slip first stitch purlwise then knit last stitch
or
b) Slip first stitch knitwise then purl last stitch

I use A.

Lieuvena
01-08-2009, 05:54 PM

You could:

a) Slip first stitch purlwise then knit last stitch
or
b) Slip first stitch knitwise then purl last stitch

I use A.

I use b- I slip knitwise and purl the last stitch.

ArtLady1981
01-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, logs 1-9 are done. Log #9 is a split log (far right end)...but instead of making my log#9 in two equal squares, I made one larger than the other:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3519/3180973924_85f806c587.jpg?v=0

I am out of teal and pink...so log#10 is going to have to be split between purple variegated, rainbow variegated, & cream.
I might make log#10 into 3 sections, joined by intarsia like log#9 was. Maybe rainbow, then a speck of cream, then purple. I have almost full skeins (1 each) of rainbow and purple...but not much of cream. Then, what color for edging? :?? The way the blanket is laying, log#10 will travel across the top of the blanket. This will widen out the blanket, too.

By looking at it now...I might pick up purple stitches across the top 3 logs, a little cream log across the middle purple log, and the rainbow across the 2 far right, wide logs.

Someone asked to see a section of my reverse side:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3343/3180137585_7b32c98c3d.jpg?v=0

Samsam
01-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks Artlady! I will get started on my blanket this weekend and will ask any questions that come along.

Jan in CA
01-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Wow, that looks great, Dollyce! Your backside (:teehee:) looks super!

I've got the first square almost done. I won't have it done in a week like you. :lol:

Karina
01-09-2009, 06:06 AM
Artlady your blanket looks great.

Did another two logs last night while watching 3 episodes of Heros. That show is a bit grusome at points, but you still want to know what happens to the characters.

ArtLady1981
01-09-2009, 06:19 AM
There is a mitered border in the book. On page 75 or so.

This is what you basically do:
Pick up stitches along Edge#1...garter for so many ridges til you like its width...and at the same time, increase one stitch at each end (Kf&b) every other row (I think EOR, but maybe every row...I forget.) Bind off.

Do the same for the other 3 edges. Then, finally, mattress seam your angled corners together (this makes the miter for the picture frame look).

I'll look up the exact directions for anyone that is interested in creating this garter stitch 'picture frame' border.

It is appealing to me, and I think I will try it. I post a photo in a few days.

Jan in CA
01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
That sounds appealing to me as well. I was thinking you could pick up all the stitches around and get a miter by increasing, but then I remembered the size it would be and how many stitches... :zombie:

kellybigeyes
01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I have another silly question :eyes: ... man I never thought this could be so confusing....

Anyway... I am having a problem with the way the first few sts look once I start knitting after I have picked up my sts. Here is the deal...

I have one st left on the needle (after BO), I turn the work to the right to begin picking up sts. Once I have picked up the sts that I need, Do I turn my work and begin knitting OR do I slide the work to the other end of the needle and start knitting?

I don't have it in front of me at the moment... but I think I have been sliding the work and them begin knitting.

And for some reason I don't think that is right.:shrug:

Lieuvena
01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
I have another silly question :eyes: ... man I never thought this could be so confusing....

Anyway... I am having a problem with the way the first few sts look once I start knitting after I have picked up my sts. Here is the deal...

I have one st left on the needle (after BO), I turn the work to the right to begin picking up sts. Once I have picked up the sts that I need, Do I turn my work and begin knitting OR do I slide the work to the other end of the needle and start knitting?

I don't have it in front of me at the moment... but I think I have been sliding the work and them begin knitting.

And for some reason I don't think that is right.:shrug:

Turn your work and begin knitting. You should pick up stitches on the right side, then turn and begin knitting on the wrong side.

ArtLady1981
01-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree with Lieuvena.

The picked up row is row 1. This is even true when you pick up stitches for the button bands along the front edges for a sweater.

Also, for our LOG CABIN, by turning the work to begin row 2
you'll get a nice purl bump row right next to the "seam".

retroboutiques
01-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Oh! I am a new knitter, well, not really, knitted years ago, but only scarves....I'm working on a sweater now, but would really like to get in on this...is it too late or can I still join? My son wants a blanket in Italian colors and this would be perfect!

MAmaDawn
01-10-2009, 12:54 AM
I saw this (http://www.joann.com/static/project/0702/P357147A.pdf)throw today and thought about the seamless project here... I know that it's not in different colors but I was thinking that you could Start with the bottom block in one color and when you cast on the stitches for the new blocks you could switch for the whole row or make each block a different color with intarsia...

HTH someone....

ArtLady1981
01-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Oh! I am a new knitter, well, not really, knitted years ago, but only scarves....I'm working on a sweater now, but would really like to get in on this...is it too late or can I still join? My son wants a blanket in Italian colors and this would be perfect!

NEVER TOO LATE! Welcome! :grphug:

ArtLady1981
01-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks MamaDawn! That is a really nice pattern! I saved it in my knitting folder, that's for sure!

Well, gang, I am done with logs 1-10. As I look at it, I can see that my lighter yarns are all bunched up on the right side...and the darker colors are all bunched up on the left side...hey...who cares? This isn't being entered in a contest at the State Fair! :roflhard:

I really like it, and I only used Stash Yarn! I used up all the pink, teal green, rainbow variegated, and almost all the purple variegated. Plus, used some plain cream for one side of log#9. I put some stripes every 11th row to jazz it up a bit. I've had these orphaned skeins for years and years.

Now, I gotta decide on a border. Hmmm. :?? I have some cream worsted weight that is on the shiny side. I forget the name of it. Something like Simply Soft. I have enough to do all 4 sides.

Oh BTW: the 'picture frame' mitered border recommends 4 garter ridges before casting off...and you increase at each end of every RS row, using the Kf&b increase in the end stitch. The increases crease the angle which will give the mitered look.

I gotta really think about my border. Will cream be weak looking? I know that a darker color (like the pink) would frame it best. But, I only have a ball of pink the size of an orange. Not enough to count. Shoot.

Well, this IS a STASHGHAN...so there is no buying of yarn for the border. I'd prolly end up with half a skein left to add to Stash! :eyes:

Log#10 is at the top. I made it more than 18 ridges. I kept knitting til the rainbow variegated ran out. I like how my purple variegated 'pooled' into triangle shapes! Like argyle! :thumbsup:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3505/3186913338_516dfd01f6.jpg?v=0

Dangles
01-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Oooh, Artlady, very nice. The tenth log is :thumbsup: Way to go.

I finally got onto my fourth log.. third one was giving grief.

Firey Vixxen
01-10-2009, 04:47 AM
Artlady, what about doing cream on the "dark side" (Join the darkside! :roflhard: Sorry, i couldn't resist) and a dark color on the "light side"?
I feel kinda bad. I haven't even gotten around to frogging log 2. maybe I'll do that tonight, I need something brainless.
FV

Karina
01-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Artlady - your blanket is amazing. it is really interesting how the purple variegated yarn looks different depending on how many stitches you cast on.

Did get one more log done yesterday. had to finish my DH second glove so he could wear it to Kameron's football practice this morning. will aim to get two done today. I am quite surprised how far this Caron Simply Soft goes.

Lieuvena
01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
For the mitered edge do you increase on the first and last stitch or just the last stitch? I'm far from the end, but would like to figure it out now. Thanks!

ArtLady1981
01-10-2009, 01:41 PM
For the mitered edge do you increase on the first and last stitch or just the last stitch? I'm far from the end, but would like to figure it out now. Thanks!

You increase at each end of every RS row.

There aren't many RS increase rows. I think 3, cuz the first RS row is the pickup row...and by the time you have 4 garter ridges...you are casting off with a RS facing.

I got two sides done last night...and stitched my first mitered corner together, and it really looks good.

I was rummaging around in my Stash on Ravelry, and discovered some 9 year old Aqua yarn I'd used for a baby blanket for my daugther's first baby! I am using that.
It is dk weight, however, for the border it's working out fine.
Aqua is fitting into the general color scheme pretty good!

Thanks for the idea about using the cream around the dark sides, and a dark color around the lighter sides. That woulda been cool lookin'! But I'm already halfway done now....so I'm stuck with it!

It looks good. I wish I'd had enough of the pepto bismol pink left. I think it woulda been the best overall.

rachejm
01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I haven't done much on the blanket since my last post. I have spent most of my time finishing off a report for Uni that I have to hand in on the 12th and starting my first ever sweater project, its an easy baby cardigan for my cousin who is due in June! I found some nice cotton going cheap in the sales and thought it'd be perfect so just couldn't resist starting it. My report has been neglected since my options came last week so I really had to get on with that too. I don't think i'm gonna finish the blanket anytime soon, term starts again monday!

dreamsherl
01-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Wow ArtLady!!! Your blanket looks wonderful.

ArtLady1981
01-10-2009, 11:32 PM
I haven't done much on the blanket since my last post. I have spent most of my time finishing off a report for Uni that I have to hand in on the 12th and starting my first ever sweater project, its an easy baby cardigan for my cousin who is due in June! I found some nice cotton going cheap in the sales and thought it'd be perfect so just couldn't resist starting it. My report has been neglected since my options came last week so I really had to get on with that too. I don't think i'm gonna finish the blanket anytime soon, term starts again monday!

Hey there rach! :waving: Don't worry about how fast or slow you knit your blanket! The funnest part about a seamless blanket is that you can work on it when you have time. Even if it takes all of 2009, that's ok! Let us know about your progress as you get a log done! :hug:

ArtLady1981
01-10-2009, 11:34 PM
I am done. Overall size: 38"x50"

You will all like the garter stitch border. I thought it would take eons...but compared to logs 8, 9, & 10...it was a breeze!

The increases at each end of every RS row worked out just perfect for joining the mitres into a picture frame! No stretching to reach each other. I didn't mattress seam mine, I just weaved them together.

Here is it:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3186024847_27fa14b4b8.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/3186865790_d7c3f9da66.jpg?v=0

luvmykid28
01-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Your blanket looks great. I love the blue you chose for the border. It really tied all the colors together. You truly inspire me. :inlove:

I will start my log cabin blanket soon. 1st I want to finish my Garter Stitch Ruffle Baby Blanket.http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garter-stitch-ruffles-baby-blanket (just started this afternoon) It's for a baby due to arrive mid Feb.

Dangles
01-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Gadzooks your are the knitting speed queen! Great job, Artlady!

I am done. Overall size: 38"x50"

You will all like the garter stitch border. I thought it would take eons...but compared to logs 8, 9, & 10...it was a breeze!

The increases at each end of every RS row worked out just perfect for joining the mitres into a picture frame! No stretching to reach each other. I didn't mattress seam mine, I just weaved them together.

Here is it:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3186024847_27fa14b4b8.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/3186865790_d7c3f9da66.jpg?v=0

Karina
01-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Artlady - you blanket looks amazing. great job.

that is the sort of border I want to do on my blanket. did two logs yesterday. I can do maybe one more log with the yellow the rest maybe two. so not long now.

Woodi
01-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Oh my, what wonderful work you have done, all those who posted their blankeys. I am envious. I just began a lap blanket but am not liking it. Is it too late to join this KAL?

I went to a monastery last Saturday for their open meditation and talk. It was held in a barn, with a small stove glowing, but not nearly warm enough. Luckily, I had brought a shawl for my legs, but others were freezing (it was -23 outside, I'm in Canada).

So I thought it would be nice to knit up a bunch of lap blankets with my stash yarns, to share with others. I would love to try the log cabin, it's my favorite quilt pattern.

This is my entire sayelle yarn stash. Do you think I have enough? There are more colors than needed. I can always buy more.....
http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/Sayelle.JPG

Artlady: how did you do rows 9,10? then 11,12? It looks like you changed color halfway through?.....

chj
01-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Artlady - amazing, as usual!! I am inspired! I tried a small piece of the pattern with some leftovers that I had to see how it would come out, and it looks like I get it. I don't have enough stash to do a whole one, but I found the yarn in the colors I want at Joann's. They didn't have enough of all the colors I wanted, but I was able to order it online with free shipping. :) So as soon as I get it in the mail, I'll be off to the races!! I'm sure I won't get it done in 10 days, though!!!

Good job, everyone else, too!

CHJ

ArtLady1981
01-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Artlady: how did you do rows 9,10? then 11,12? It looks like you changed color halfway through?.....

It's never to late to join! As for all your variety of colors, that's ok too! With the smaller tidbits and ball...try to use those for logs 1-3. Maybe think about striping log#1 or log#3. You can always incorporate the smaller tidbits as a single ridge (which is two rows).

Are you asking about rows or logs? You said "rows", but did you really mean "logs"?

I did the baby blanket, BTW...not the adult full size. There are different log layouts for each one. But, as I'll explain, I kinda took liberties with their prescribed log layout.

For log#9...the two "blocks" are knit at the same time on each row. So when you get to the "fence"...you have to wrap one color around the other before continuing. This is called 'intarsia' technique. It is demonstrated by Amy in our KH videos. Be sure to watch it if you don't understand intarsia.

For the last log#10...I picked up my stitches in different numbers with the two colors. This was based upon my quantity of yarn. And, instead of limiting log#10 to 18 ridges...I did about 30 ridges I think. I just knit til the lighter rainbow variegated ran out. Log#10 is also knit with the two colors at one time on each row...and also using the intarsia technique for crossing over the "fence" into the neighbor's yard! :teehee:

In picking up stitches for any log, let it be known that you really don't even have to count. You just pick up one stitch in each garter bump or bind off stitch, whichever is presenting itself at the time.

I did count, however, I rarely came up with the wrong number. If I was off, it was by one stitch too many. I think that is cuz when I was picking up stitches at the end of one color and the beginning of the next color...I picked up real close so there'd be no gap.

The Mason-Dixon chicks say that for log cabining...you don't have to count the pick up stitches...just pick up one for one all the way across. They are right. However they give up pick up numbers 'for the record'. But it really is 'give or take' a stitch or two.

If you have a lumpy/wavy outside edge...it is fixed when you do your border.

Woodi
01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, I did mean blocks rather than rows, Sylvi. Thanks for answering, and glad you picked that up. I will watch those videos, and start maybe tonight. I'm excited about this project.

Lieuvena
01-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Artlady- I love your blanket. After seeing the mitered edge, I'm definitely going to do that on mine too. I'll probably get done about this time next year!! I've just had no time to knit with my kids taking turns being sick.

Also, I won't have enough yarn to make a full size blanket, so I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get more yarn to finish it or make it smaller. I really want to give it to my mom though and I don't think a small blanket would really work for her. I guess I'll end up getting more yarn. Defeats the purpose of a stash blanket I know, but at least it's cheap and readily available (Caron Simply Soft).

Karina
01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Lieuvena - Sorry your kids keep sharing their germs, it is so annoying when you get one back at school and the next one starts all over again.

I am just starting to do my third log for today. I have measured it and it is 31 inches by 36 inches. Took a photo but am on the wrong computer for downloading it, so will do that tomorrow.

dibbs
01-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone

Wow, everyone's logcabin stashghans are looking great!

I've been peeking in everyday and trying to work on my logcabin stashghan. I'm really not using a pattern, just making it up as I go. I have made a few mistakes but they are small ones and I think I can live with those. I am using RedHeart Super Saver yarn that I've had forever, but hoping it will get softer with each washing. LOL...

I've knitted about a 17 inchs so far, so it will be awhile before I'm finished.

Beautiful work on your stashbuster-ghans, and ArtLady, your blanket is fantastic. I can't wait to see MORE pictures of everyone logcabin s-ghans..

Here's a peek at mine, and thanks for letting me join in so late..This is my first KAL. :)

Trisha

ladyjessica
01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Can I join this KAL, too, even though I started the log cabin a year ago and put it down for about 8 months to do other projects? :teehee:

I started the blanket for my five year-old nephew using 10 colors of Simply Soft that I thought would be good kid colors and figured I'd just keep knitting until I ran out of yarn.

I'll post a picture when I find my camera. :)

Karina
01-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Here is a photo of my blanket so far.

Trisha - great start to yours. Looks like a traditional quilt square with the red centre. very nice.

Jessica - how far did you get before you stopped. I am using six colours of Caron Simply soft Brites. I am quite surprised how far they go.

weezie
01-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Awesome blankets everyone!! Kudos to you Artlady for getting done so fast too! I have just a few rows to go on log 8, then on to the split logs. I'll post pics when I can get around to it.... just been a busy week and weekend around here.

I haven't decided on how I'm going to do the border yet. I contemplated just doing a block border rather than a mitered one... you know, just picking up and knitting along two opposite edges first (probably the long sides) and then doing the same on the remaining two edges. I thought that might look a little more log-cabin than a mitered border... but the border on ArtLady's looks great, so I don't think it really matters. I might go with a little wider border too depending on the amount of yarn I have.

No more hockey games until this weekend, so hopefully I can get block 9 done this week!

ArtLady1981
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi Jessica! :waving: Welcome! Thanks for joining us! We look forward to following your progress!

Hi Trisha! :waving: Welcome! Your stashghan looks wonderful!
Ya know, I have some additional acrylic I dug up...colors that would not do for the girlie stashgan. Celeste has a brother, Caleb...so I think I might make another stashghan in March or April...and then give the kids their blankies at one time. Otherwise I'm gonna have to give Caleb something else...and I don't know what. He isn't a sweater, hat, scarf, mitten kind of kid. He is too hot and itchy. Like his Dad (my son)!

Hi Karina! :waving: Your blanket is GORGEOUS! Like Trisha's, I like the traditional log cabin layout! I think it is great for more multiples of colors, too. And those skinny logs (not fat logs with 36 ridges) would be more accommodating for odds 'n' ends of yarn! And for striping bits into the log.

Hi Weezie! :waving: Doing your border 'log cabin style' would be really neat! That would certainly work! Good idea! :thumbsup: I was tinkering around with making my border wider...but I was afraid that knitting more than 4 ridges with increases at each end of RS rows would throw off the miter angle. AND, I must confess...I was sick to death of garter stitch...and was anxious to be done with it! That was the decider! :teehee:

gargoylelib
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I decided to join ya'll in this KAL. I have got to clear out my stash, I'm out of room and getting "the look" from dh hehe.... I have decided to do OpArt from Knitty. I have several nephews and nieces that these would make fun gifts for. After seeing a rainbow version on Ravelry I decided this pattern would work well with the multiple colored odds and ends from my stash. I start today!

Pattern link:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTopart.html

Libbie

ArtLady1981
01-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I decided to join ya'll in this KAL. I have got to clear out my stash, I'm out of room and getting "the look" from dh hehe.... I have decided to do OpArt from Knitty. I have several nephews and nieces that these would make fun gifts for. After seeing a rainbow version on Ravelry I decided this pattern would work well with the multiple colored odds and ends from my stash. I start today!

Pattern link:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTopart.html

Libbie

Hi Libbie! :waving: The OpArt seamless blanket is really a wonderful design! Wheee! Thanks for including the link, too!
I think you are right...the OpArt will all multiple colored odds and ends to be utilized to best advantage! Looking forward to following your progress!

Karina
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Libbie Just went to look up the Rainbow Opart. that is so cute, cant wait to see yours.

Woodi
01-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Help!

I have added a new color (pink) to my now-knitted 4 rows of blue. My question: do I add it on the right side or the back side? I mean: supposing I choose one side to be 'the right side'. Then this means that 'the wrong side' has a line of pink/blue. kwim?
So, when I return to just blue knitting (cz I'm making pink stripes in the blue), should I return to blue on the same side as the smooth row, or the row with the pink/blue line in it?

This is what I call 'right side'

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/Rightside.JPG

and this would be 'wrong side'
http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/WrongSide.JPG

So, I'm guessing that in order to have a neat look to the 'right side' I have to always start a new color on the odd numbered row? I am ready to return to blue, and I've knitted 3 rows of pink, but I believe I have to knit one more row of pink and begin blue on the right side?

clear as mud?

Dangles
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Gargolyelib: That is one cool pattern, thanks for the link!

Woodi
01-12-2009, 02:26 PM
It's OK, I think I figured it out myself. I must start a new color on the 'right side' which happens to be an odd-numbered row. I knit a few more rows, and got this.

Right side:
http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/RtSide.JPG
Wrong side:
http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/WrSide.JPG

I have to mention that the pink yarn is a tad nubbly, it's not my uneven knitting (not totally)...:teehee:

This is my first block. It looks larger than other people's first block.

Karina
01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Woodi - I think you want to start the blue at the same end that you started the Pink so you get the same line of blue/pink on the back from the first switch of colour. if you want the pink stripe to be thinner then knit 2 rows or wider then more than the blue by 2 rows. so when ever you change colour I think you always want the front facing you.

Jan in CA
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
It's OK, I think I figured it out myself. I must start a new color on the 'right side' which happens to be an odd-numbered row. I knit a few more rows, and got this.

Yep, you got it! Pick up stitches from the right side so you don't get the purl bump color change. Same thing with stockinette btw.

ArtLady1981
01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree! :thumbsup:

dibbs
01-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Here is a photo of my blanket so far.

Trisha - great start to yours. Looks like a traditional quilt square with the red centre. very nice.

Jessica - how far did you get before you stopped. I am using six colours of Caron Simply soft Brites. I am quite surprised how far they go.

Thanks Karina, yup I was trying for the traditional with that red center square. LOL.. Your blanket is fantastic!! I love those bright bold colors in yours and if I was a kid again, I would absolutely love being wrapped in that blanket while coloring pictures, or doing my homework on the floor. :)

dibbs
01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
"Hi Trisha! Welcome! Your stashghan looks wonderful!
Ya know, I have some additional acrylic I dug up...colors that would not do for the girlie stashgan. Celeste has a brother, Caleb...so I think I might make another stashghan in March or April...and then give the kids their blankies at one time. Otherwise I'm gonna have to give Caleb something else...and I don't know what. He isn't a sweater, hat, scarf, mitten kind of kid. He is too hot and itchy. Like his Dad (my son)!" end quote
-------------------

Thanks so much for the compliment, ArtLady. You know, as a child (boy or girl) I think a blanket from MeMaw would have been a treasure, so I'm sure Caleb will be delighted with a blankie from you. I think little boys like snuggly things, when we as adults really don't think they do. Great plan! :)

ladyjessica
01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Here's what I've done so far. I loved the two separate sides of 'Joseph's Blankie of Many Colors' in the Mason Dixon book, so that was my inspiration. It's for my nephew, so I wanted to use blues on one side, for a boy, and fun, bright colors on the other side.

Karina, so far it's about 24" square, and you wouldn't even know that I've used any of the Simply Soft. If I just knit until I run out, I think it'll be a pretty good size. I hope it will be, because I bought the yarn at my local Walmart a year ago, and it has since replace the regular Simply Soft with the Simply Soft Eco. :nails:

You can see in the photo that I still have a good bit left on the skein that I'm knitting with right now, and all the rest of them look the same. My goal is to finish and then edge the blanket with the red multi-colored yarn that I used for the first rectangle.

ArtLady1981
01-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Beautiful blanket, Jessica!
http://bestsmileys.com/eyes/8.gif

Jan in CA
01-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Nice blankets!

I am on my third 'square' so it'll take awhile as I'm doing it when I need mindless knitting along with my other knitting. :thumbsup:

Firey Vixxen
01-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Yay! Everybody's Blankets look soo pretty!
Don't worry Jan, I'm only on my third log too. It's nice and Brainless (and on chunkier needles) which is good for the whole zen process of knitting, but I have some deadline knitting that has to get done... preferably before the deadline passes.
Artlady, there's still alot of January left. wait till you've got your second wind, then maybe start the second blanket.
cloud9 :X:
FV

ArtLady1981
01-13-2009, 03:42 AM
I dragged out an old bag of chunky wool yarn that I've had for a century! I am on log #4...if you can believe that!

I am still using the same log configuration, however, since the yarn is chunky...I really am flying by the seat of my pants about how many ridges for each log! :eyes: I thought I'd just go with the flow. I'm using a size 11 needle...and the garter stitch looks good. Not too tight, not too holey. The colors are wild...blood red, warm gold, royal blue, plum, cypress green, and light gold. A Jamaican palette of sorts. I bought the yarn eons ago to make a side-to-side pullover from VOGUE...but have since scrapped the idea. :?? Don't know what I was thinking really.

Am 80% done with a wool jacket for DH. Got one sleeve left, plus collar, seaming, and zipper. However, it can wait til March.
I am so tired of working on it. I will finish it in March, I promise. Maybe sooner if this blanket goes fast.

Will work on this 2nd log cabin til the end of January, but after that, I am hosting a SYLVI-KAL here at KH. It is a hooded 3/4 length coat, that is all seed stitch except the BACK...which is an explosion of vines, leaves and flowers from hem to neckline, and even into the back of the hood. Crazy, but cool!

dibbs
01-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Boy, you are fast ArtLady. I bet your new log cabin will be just as beautiful as your first one. I can only imagine how fast your fingers must go if you are knitting on more than one thing at the time. LOL.. I'd love to be a little silent fly on the wall and be able to watch you knitting. Any chance of a video of you knitting? :) That would be a treat for all of us that like seeing what you're knitting.

Karina
01-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Jessica - I love your blanket.

Artlady - cant wait to see you second log blanket. I have been dreaming log cabin blankets lately. Have all sorts of ideas rolling around in my head. I think of all the Traditional quilts that I have seen in magazines like the Courthouse steps block etc and the mind boggles with the variations you can come up with. I will definitely be making another one of these blankets for me

Woodi
01-13-2009, 09:59 AM
I too love your blanket, Jessica. I'm only on my first square, and it's turning out bigger than everyone else's, it seems. It's almost 8 inches wide, and I've knit 6.5 inches.

What size is everybody else's first square?

ladyjessica
01-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Woodi, my first square was about 2" x 3". But I made it small because I was tired of that yarn. :teehee:

weezie
01-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Woodi... my first block was just over 8" and my gauge was correct, so you're probably on track. I remember thinking that those first blocks or logs seemed bigger than I had anticipated also, but so far it's working out just fine, so sit back and relax, it'll work out.

I got my two colors going for log #9 last night, but have a little challenge that I joined on another charity forum that I'm going to have to get hopping on, so don't know how much of my log cabin I'm going to get to work on over the next couple of weeks... and hubby still wants his boot liners finished... so much knitting to do, so little time...LOL

Woodi
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I finished my first square, which is 7.5 inches in size! And I thought I was doing the baby blanket version!
I am a very bad knitter, I can see this now. But I suppose practice makes perfect, so I'll continue along, see if I improve.

and btw: I am not a big fan of symmetry, so I tend to do strange things with color.

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/FirstSq.JPG

Jan in CA
01-13-2009, 03:02 PM
My first square is about the same Woodi and I can tell now that I'm on my third square I'm going to end up wanting to poke my eyes out with the needles doing so much flat plain garter stitch. :lol: At least it makes good TV knitting! :thumbsup:

Oh and btw.... I didn't follow the pattern exactly..when I reached the point that I was sick of that color I bound off and changed squares. However, it will look pretty much like the original in the end I think.

ArtLady1981
01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
My needle/stitch speed is normal. I'm not gonna win any Western Washington State Fair knitting contests! But I knit a lot of hours per day. Tis one of the advantages that comes with age....kids all grown, married and out the door. ;)

The disadvantage of age...well one of them...is that it's harder to get up and run to the potty after knitting a log! :roflhard:

I'll trade ya! Your age for my knitting time! :teehee:

ArtLady1981
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
PS:

The knitting contest I refer to: at our annual 3 weeks long Western Washington State Fair there is an actual live knitting contest each year up in the handmades pavilion. Where all the handmade quilts are displayed, along with the hand knits, crocheted items, sewing, canning, baked goods and art. Anyhoo...the participants are told "get ready, get set, GO!" and their fingers begin flying! The winner is the lady who knits the most stitches, with penalties for each error. The winner is usually always a continental knitter.

I believe they are told how many stitches to cast on beforehand...cuz when they begin, their needles already have the cast on row in place. I can't remember if they were knitting garter or stocking...but I think it was stocking stitch.

Anyway, it was AMAZING to watch these gals! There are usually about 6-12 knitters...not a lot. No, there weren't any guy knitters in the contest. :pout:

ArtLady1981
01-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Here is my progress on the Jamaican Log Cabin!
I am calling it that cuz the color palette reminds me of
Jamaica! The garter stitch is a very heavy texture, using the US 11 needle.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3197922205_94990e119b.jpg?v=0

I'm using 7 colors. Below are 6 of them. The lightest gold is not Gjestal Naturgarn No. 1 wool. It is Manos Del Uruguay, but I think I can make it work gaugewise. I don't have a concrete color plan for the individual logs beyond what you see. I'm just gonna feel my way along. It was hard to plan these colors on paper.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3384/3195317876_8c897f1e24.jpg?v=0

2-Tomato, 1-Plum, 2-Cypress, 2-Squash, 1-Banana, 1-Blueberry, and 7 Pumpkin used double stranded cuz it's dk weight. The red looks more Christmas-y but it isn't. Reds are had to photograph accurately, and I just didn't have time to try different digital techniques with it.

The red block is 7"x6". The piece you see is 27"x27" so far.

Did I say that this blanket is for me? Who else in the world would want it? When I travel with DH to the mountains, in his truck, we tussle back and forth over the temperature in the cab. I turn up the heat, he cracks the window...and on and on. You know how that goes! So, I'll use this blanket to snuggle up with to kill the draft! :roflhard: This will be my draftinator!

Karina
01-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Artlady - I really like the colours.

Just saw this on Youtube as you were talking speedknitting.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S2E-IDIAGGo&feature=channel
I think I will have to practice the technique while making these blankets. I already knit pretty close to that, not the speed I hasten to add but the way she holds her finger close to the needle and have very little movement. Although still more movement than her way so will have to practice. I have no idea how you can get beyond 200 stitches in 3 minutes or even close to that.

ArtLady1981
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks Karina! WOW and double WOW! Miriam Tegels knits 118 stitches in 1 minute and she's in the Guiness World Records! And see, she is a continental knitter!

I posted your link in GENERAL forum cuz I think others will like to see this video, too! I hope you don't mind, I mentioned you by name and gave a THANKS to you for sharing the link with us here in the Janurary KH-KAL!

Jan in CA
01-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I wish they would show her knitting from the other side and also in slow motion. :doh:

ArtLady1981
01-13-2009, 09:32 PM
I tested my speed on my blanket, which isn't the recommended
trial...but...using US11 on a thick 'n' thin yarn and garter stitch...my speed is 30 st per minute. :pout: And I gave my self an extra three stitches for having to stop and pull yarn from the skein and push up stitches from the left needle. So my actual stitches were just 27 per minute. :aww:

I'm gonna do what the video said: cast on 60 stitches using dk weight and US5 needles...and give myself another test. I think I could boost my stitch count by 10. :oops: WhooHoo, huh?

S2E-IDIAGGo

dibbs
01-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Oh gggg'sss that gal is fast with those needles on the video. I was reading somewhere that she's mastered what they call the rapid eye movement (not sure what this means). I could never get that fast if I practiced till the cows came home. LOL. :doh:

ArtLady, your new blanket looks great. Love the colors you're using for this new one. Your 30 to 35 stitches a minute is still really fast if you knit 'american'. Just think how fast if you were a continental style knitter. I also knit 'american' or english style and probably knit about 15-20 sts a minute. I am using a a size 9 an this worsted weight yarn (RHSS) on my logcabin blanket.

My arthristis slows me down alot, plus I don't see as well as I use to, so my needle sometimes hits between the wrong stitch and the row below thus making me have to redo. I guess we all have something that hinders our progress, be it kids, work, phones, or in my case old age, but we just keep on going cause it's better than letting our hands become idle. Plus it's lots of fun to make something useful even if it's only a dishrag. :hug:

dreamsherl
01-13-2009, 11:55 PM
WOW! Everyone's blankets look wonderful.
I'm currently on log seven.
ArtLady, what can I say but :passedout: .

Karina
01-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Artlady - that is OK. I did not know you could put the video in straight like that. I did try to test myself but found that the harmoneys gripped the yarn slightly. So I think speed knitting is best done with the options or other metal needles.

rachejm
01-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Well the blanket is in hibernation at the moment, mainly cos I am in Birmingham and it is not! I won't be going home til next week at the earliest. On the bright side, without knitting to distract me and nothing very interesting to watch on the TV, I am managing to keep on top of the work a bit more this term than I did last term. I actually sat and did the reading last night, and it was fairly interesting stuff. I'm doing a module on the psychology of parenting and another module on hallucinations and delusions, should be interesting. Think the blanket will have to be the project i do when i go home for the weekend.

Don't think I'm as fast a knitter as you Artlady. I also knit English and I'd love to knit faster but right now I don't have the time to practice. Maybe when I find the yarn and needles that do live in Birmingham I will do a little test myself.

sakura-panda
01-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Those colors are gorgeous, ArtLady! :inlove: (I love bright colors.)

Inline YouTube videos drive me bonkers when I'm surfing from work because that site is blocked by the firewall. ("Bonkers" is a bit extreme -- basically I get an error message that I have to click through in order to finish loading the page. "Annoying" and "makes me petty" are better descriptors. :lol:)

I've been resisting, but I've decided I'm going to try this KAL too. :thumbsup: I'm going to do the baby size and I mapped out plans using 4, 5, 6 and 7 colors out of my stash. I even did a photoshop image pictures of four skeins just to get an idea how they would look together and I think that is the way I am going to do. I have a bunch of green yarn that I am desparate to use up and I think I'd use more with a 4 color blanket than with one that has more colors.

I'm hoping to start on it tonight and maybe take it to the hospital with me in a couple of weeks when I go to have my baby. (If it's not too big.) It will be nice to have a back up project to my scarf, in case I don't feel like counting stitches. :)

I have never worked garter stitch before -- I am seven years into a simple crochet afghan and when I want mindless stitching I work on that -- but it has gotten kind of heavy and slippery and I don't want to have to mess with it there.

Woodi
01-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, I finished my first block, but it isn't a square. It's more like a trapezoid. Should I continue, or restart?

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/CrSq.JPG

Woodi
01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I think I'm going to buy a new ball of yarn and restart, nevermind trying to do stripes when I'm not a good knitter. This can become a hot mat.

ArtLady1981
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I don't think it matters if it isn't a square! The only thing that could be impacted later on down the pike is when you go to pick up stitches along the edges of this trapezoid. The number of stitches that you will need to pick up might vary with the number of stitches that the official log cabin pattern says. But that's ok.
Just pick up one stitch in each garter ridge or bind off stitch along the edge you're picking up in.

So your photo is showing log#1, right? If so, it is really interesting! What a great centerpiece! Eye-catcher! I kinda did some embellishing myself in log#9 where I added in those stripes every 11th ridge! I thought it kinda made the plain cream more interesting!

Karina
01-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Woodi - I would not worry to much about it. I have not counted one stitch on my blanket. I just picked up a stitch for each stitch bound off and one for each ridge when I got to where the colours meet it the gap seemed a bit big I would pick up an extra stitch. I have no idea how many stitches I have on the needle, just that it is more than a 100.

I have now run out of yellow so this will only do one more log of each of the colours left and then on to the border. its getting quite exciting.

Dangles
01-14-2009, 02:03 PM
I am checking in ... I'm just about done this block

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.flickr.com/photos/14553155@N06/3196481037/%22%20title=%22Log%20Cabin%20-%20block%204%20by%20Dangles%20Knits,%20on%20Flickr %22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3389/3196481037_3b6b269232.jpg%22%20width=%22375%22%20h eight=%22500%22%20alt=%22Log%20Cabin%20-%20block%204%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3389/3196481037_3b6b269232.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14553155@N06/3196481037/)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14553155@N06/3196481037/

ArtLady1981
01-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I love it, Dangles! Great work! :woot:

ArtLady1981
01-14-2009, 04:25 PM
I am having a great time thinking about all these 6 colors and how they will work out, and how I'll improvise my log layout! Logs 1-7 are the configuration of the Moderne Baby Log Cabin...but 8-20 are improvised.

So this morning I drew up a plan of attack. I filled in the colors I already have knit...but left the other logs blank for the first sketch:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3416/3197667170_dc7ba9c704.jpg?v=0

Below is sorta how I 'plan' to fill in logs 8-21...
but that depends on how far my yarn colors stretch.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3385/3197723770_dc7220ae66.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3384/3195317876_8c897f1e24.jpg?v=0

I've got 2-tomato, 2-cypress, 2-squash, 1-banana, 1-blueberry, and 1-plum. Each skein is about 120 yards. Not much.

sakura-panda
01-14-2009, 04:44 PM
That is beautiful, ArtLady! And so ambitious! :yay:

(And you'll still be done by the end of January. ;) :teehee:)

Dangles
01-14-2009, 05:17 PM
@ Artlady: Very nice! layout. colours are great too. sound tasty too :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Whoa... that looks really great, Dollyce! I have a copy of the pattern layout as well and had fun playing. Would have been more fun if I'd had enough stash. :teehee: HOWEVER...there is no reason I can't buy yarn to make a nice blanket for myself at some point. :thumbsup:

Lieuvena
01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Artlady-it's going to be gorgeous!! I love the colors.

Everyone's blankets are looking great.:muah:

Kids are finally well so I'm hopefully gonna get some knitting done. I picked it up for the first time in a few days last night and had to redo part of it because I realized I had cast off and picked up on a wrong side. That's what I get for trying to knit while I was preoccupied. Oh well, it wasn't too much work!

Oh yeah, my Options set I ordered finally arrived today, so I'm gonna be looking for something else to knit just so I can play with them.:woohoo:

Woodi
01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Rach! While you're away, you could always pick up a few balls of new yarn, a new set of needles, and begin a second blankey <wink>. It's what any good knitting addict would do, right?

Artlady! Those colors are so strikingly beautiful. Can't wait to see your progress. and alas, the square I showed is actually squares one, two, and three. I don't have much of a plan, just keep trying to square it off.
If my yarn order ever arrives from a friend in CA, I will begin again. (It's two weeks already, and I'm running to my country mailbox daily, sob)

kellybigeyes
01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I am having so much trouble still....:hair: I am trying to make a LC dishcloth out of cotton yarn. I know that acrylic is a lot more forgiving. IYO, would it be easier for me to learn to logcabin if I used acrylic instead of cotton?

ArtLady1981
01-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi Kelly! Either fiber will be easy. Log cabining is easy, no matter what yarn. Just remember, with log cabining, when you've made your log the right number of ridges, bind off with the RIGHT SIDE facing you. And then usually, the last stitch on that row will be the first stitch of the next new log which is usually around the corner to the left. Then you begin picking up stitches along the new edge: one stitch per ridge. If that new edge is half and half...half ridges from a previous log, and half bind off stitches from another previous log...just remember, it's one for one.

Please let us know if we can help you understand the log cabin concept.
Don't overthink it. I tended to do that myself.

:muah:

kellybigeyes
01-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks... This is what I have been doing.

I CO 5 sts, knit 10 rows. BO to last st, pick up sts. knit 9 rows since the pick up row counts as a row. and so on.

Since I have never done LC before... can you please tell me how many sts I should have picked up? I get confused at the corners....

ArtLady1981
01-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Don't count rows in your log. Count RIDGES.

Example: Log #1 will be purple. Log#2 will be green. For the sake of the example you will knit the purple Log#1 til it has 10 ridges, ending the last row on a WS worked. (btw, this last row from the WS created the 10th ridge). Turn to the work to the RS and bind off all log#1 purple stitches except the last one. Leave one purple stitch on the needle. Turn the corner to the 45 degree left and using green yarn for log#2, pick up 10 stitches along the side edge of purple log#1. One for one. One stitch in each of the purple ridges.

The 'turn the corner to the 45 degree left turn' can be visualized like this: picture yourself walking down the neighborhood on a sidewalk on Pine Street. When you get to the end of the block, you have 3 choices at the intersection of Pine and 4th: you can 1) cross the street straight ahead 2) cross the street on the right, or 3) turn the corner to the left, crossing no streets, and heading up 4th street.

Well, the is what most of the log cabin logs do. When you bind off with the RS facing, it is like walking down your street on the sidewalk, and when you get to the end of your block, you won't cross the street at all, you will turn left and walk up the side of that street, picking up stitches as you go along.

I hope this helps you visualize your log arrangements.

BTW, what log cabin arrangement are you using? There are several in the Mason-Dixon book.

kellybigeyes
01-15-2009, 12:03 AM
I am sort of going off of this pattern.

http://www.knitlist.com/99gift/log-cabin-cloth.htm

Here is the Ravelry link

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/log-cabin-dishcloth

I realized that when it said to knit 11 rows... that was not the way everyone else was doind it... since the pattern calls for not BO. So I have been trying to do it like you said. I have been binding off on the RS.

Now my next question...

When you say to pick up the sts "in" the ridges... I have been picking mine up in the in the "hole" between the ridges. I don't really understand where to put the hook in, if I am to pick up the sts "on" the ridge. That is why I have been picking the sts up in the hole between the ridges. I hope this all makes sense. I never thought this would be this confusing.

ArtLady1981
01-15-2009, 02:54 AM
I dredged up 7 Knitpicks dk weight Merino Style in PUMPKIN!
Log #9 is pumpkin, double stranded to get gauge! I am so worried about running out of yarn before this blanket becomes large enough to cover me up. I'm 5 feet tall. Not that the blanket needs to be 60" long. But that would be nice!

I'm gonna end up blocking this blanket by pinning it down and misting it. Just to set the stitches for the banana, and stretch the pumpkin logs a bit.

This blanket is 27"x27" so far.
Next log#10 across the top will be red!
Log#11 on the far left next to cypress will be banana!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/3197922205_94990e119b.jpg?v=0

Karina
01-15-2009, 06:25 AM
Kelly I pick up stitches in the hole between the ridges and have no problems with that. others pick up in the bump of the peak of the ridge. I tried to pick up in the bump but seemed to much of a hassel and I find the hole between the ridges makes more sence (to me) and a lot easier.

Woodi
01-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Those colors are amazing, Artlady!

I have been working feverishly to square my blanket, and it's really looking strange. I did a bit of crocheting to size it up on one side. And if you look closely, you can see on the upper right, in the light mauve, a row of 3 dropped stitches which I picked up on the wrong side. oh dear...

But I already promised this to a friend who sends her quilted baby blankets to some northern native teenage mothers. Apparently they don't mind crooked things, cuz they have almost nothing. They may like the colors, I'm hoping. So I will finish it and start again with a dishcloth.

Here's what I've got so far. (not following any color pattern).

http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/BiggerSq.JPG

I am learning so much - about knitting, about myself. And having fun too, enjoying this learning curve. I hope to improve with many efforts. I never guessed that knitting a square could be so difficult. Maybe it's because the yarns are all different weights?

I don't quite know where to go from here, making it up as I go along. My new blanket will be better planned, with yarns all the same type.

ladyjessica
01-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Woodi, I think it looks great. I really like the colors, and I'm sure as you go along everything will even itself out. Artlady, yours is gorgeous as always. :teehee:

Now that I've gotten back into this log cabin again, I'm really enjoying it. I'm using it as an opportunity to learn and practice Continental knitting. In just a few evenings I've gone from being all fingers and thumbs to being able to knit a row pretty quickly. Plus, switching back and forth between the Continental and English styles seems to make the straight garter stitch more bearable. :aww:

weezie
01-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Maybe it's because the yarns are all different weights?

Woodi... I think this is probably your reason for the uneven-ness of your "square." Using different weights of yarn can make huge difference in gauge... Go with it... you never know what will happen... and you might just love it!!

Still working on my other challenge, but looking forward to getting back to log #9 in a week or so. I just love everyone's blankets so far... such wonderful colors and designs!

sakura-panda
01-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I started my Log Cabin last night. I measured the swatch I started the other day and decided I want to use size 8 needles (recommended on the yarn band) instead of size 10 needles (my only metal set.)

I frogged the swatch and the blanket that I'm giving up on and wound the yarn into a nice ball. I cast on, and did a half dozen loops before I decided to verify my pattern.

Yep, that color is for Log 2, not Log 1. :rofl:

I dug out the yarn for Log 1, frogged the crochet chain that was hanging off of it (no idea what that was supposed to be :shrug: ) and did a really ugly cast on. :eyebrow2: Knitted about four rows (two ridges) and found I dropped a stitch in the first row -- did I mention it was an ugly cast on? Frogged, did an even cast on, and managed to finish about 5 ridges before I quit for the night.

(Then I open up this thread and I see that in only a few hours, ArtLady went from a rough plan to a gorgeous multi-log creation. I have five ridges of Log 1 to show for those same hours. :lol: Something tells me we don't use our time the same way. :roflhard:)

I dug out some straight bamboo needles to start this project, since my Harmony circular 8's are OTN with another current project, and they are really sticky with this yarn! I'd like to switch over to nickel plated circulars, but first I have to buy them. :blush:

I am having a hard time trying to choose between a single pair and the entire set. I had talked myself into the Mason Dixon book with the pattern and border for this blanket (40% off) and the single pair, but the book is out of stock. Is that a sign that I should get the entire interchangeable set or a sign that I shouldn't buy the book? ;)

I'm leaning toward needles only -- $9 with shipping and no other items -- but it is so hard to resist having a whole collection! :inlove:

Karina
01-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Katie - when i was pregnant, all three times, I could not make a decision to save my life. Maybe you should just work with what you have for the moment and make a firm decision once you have had the baby and things have settled down a bit. or completely ignore me and buy the set. you can after all never have to many needles.

luvmykid28
01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Wow Artlady your 2nd blanket is so colorful. It makes me want to go to Jamacia.

Everyone, I have really enjoyed watching the birth of all these amazing blanket.

Dangles
01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
I've a brain fart ... could someone enlighten me please. Will being starting block 5. (requiring 96 sts total).

- block three still has live sts, 60 of them.
- block four: i've completed 36 ridges ending on wrong side and still on cable.
- when i go to pick up sts on block four i only have 35 stitches?? what am i missing.

auntcrafty
01-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I am half way through log #3 after having to frog it & #2 Sunday because I made a few mistakes. I'm much happier with my progress now and am even feeling confident enough I am able to knit without looking at my work (finally!). I changed my color scheme a bit, but it is still the baby size modern blanket.

Ladybug (almost 2yrs old) wants to look in my "Nanny bag" every day to see if my knitting is in there, which it is of course! She looks at me and says, "knit, knit" and isn't happy until I pull this project out of the bag, sit on the couch where she can sit close to me, and start knitting. She just loves to watch me knit and if my yarn needs to be pulled out of the skein, she loves to help me do that (she knows she has to ask first or she doesn't get to do it next time). I think I'm going to have to buy some chunky yarn and teach her how to knit.

Firey Vixxen
01-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Auntcrafty, If you have some leftover Acrylic or Superwash wool in a medium weight that may be better. my nan tried to teach me with large needles and heavy yarn and i hated it because it didn't look like "Real" knitting. however when i tried thin needles I loved it and would happily sit for hours knitting blankets for my sylvanians.
except for when the needles snapped. metal is always better for the young begginner.
Just from my experiance.
FV

sakura-panda
01-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Katie - when i was pregnant, all three times, I could not make a decision to save my life. Maybe you should just work with what you have for the moment and make a firm decision once you have had the baby and things have settled down a bit. or completely ignore me and buy the set. you can after all never have to many needles.

That pretty much describes me all of the time :lol: but it has definitely gotten worse during pregnancy!

I decided to go with just getting the needle tips -- only $9. As tempting as the full set is, I just don't think I'd use more than one or two additional sizes and even if I buy them one at a time, I'm still spending less than the cost of the entire kit. :thumbsup:

Besides, if I change my mind, having multiples in sizes like 8 and 10 wouldn't be a bad thing. ;)

No work on this blanket last night, but I found my bamboo circulars (while checking out my plastic straights but I don't have the right size) so at least I'll be back to using circs while I wait for my needles to arrive. (What I have so far barely fits on the straight needle.)

Question for people that complete the Baby size on circs -- what size cable did you use? I have a 40" cable that I'm planning to use -- will that be long enough to get me to the end? (I probably should have asked before I submitted my order. :doh:)

Thanks!

ArtLady1981
01-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Dangles, you're working the Moderne Baby Blanket configuration, right? Well, I think so. Anyhoo...

I count the number of ridges as viewed from the RIGHT SIDE. You mentioned that you have 36 ridges on the WRONG SIDE.

Regardless, pick up the number of stitches along the edge of log 4 as the ridges present themselves. You are working the log cabin a bit differently than the pattern states by leaving live stitches etc. So maybe that's why you are counting ridges from the wrong side. I'm not quite sure.

It won't matter in the long run if you pick up 35 or 36. One stitch off won't make your blanket lopsided.

On some of my logs, if I picked up one extra stitch (RS facing) than the pattern said, I knit 2 together on the very next row (WS facing). I'd knit the 2nd and 3rd stitch from the end together, and knit the last stitch normally. This K2Tog was invisible. You couldn't detect where I'd done it.

Sakura, a 40" cable will be more than enough! I didn't use longer than a 32". I wait til the very last to use a 32" cuz I like my work to remain scrunched up close to the tip of the left hand needle. I hate having to go fetch the blanket too far down the length of a long cable. You know, the constant skooching the stitches up to the end of the diving board! I like them to remain close in line, ready to take their turn!

Dangles
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Artlady, thanks for the input. I'm working on the moderne baby.
I am counting from the RS. That's why i'm baffled. I finished on the WS, thus created at total of 36 ridges on the RS. I cheated and left live stitches since i did not want to bind off and pick up again..

chj
01-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

I finally got my yarn in the mail (from Joann, on sale, no shipping!) and have started. I bought beige, cranberry, olive, and navy. I'm about half way done with the center piece. Not very interesting, I'll start with pictures when I get more done!

I do have a question, though. I bought the Mason Dixon Knitting book, and when it describes how to log-cabin-knit, it says that when you bind off, you keep the last loop rather than binding it off fully. I don't get that. Is that what all of you do? (Artlady?) If you have this loop, do you use it to knit the first stitch of the knew color before you pick up the rest of the stitches? I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I'm psyched about getting this thing going! I tried a sample with some of my leftovers, and I think it will be nice when it's done!

Lieuvena
01-17-2009, 12:22 PM
I keep the last stitch and consider it my first stitch when I pick up for the next log. For example, if I need to pick up 10 stitches I would count that as 1 and then pick up 9 more. Hope that helps.

ArtLady1981
01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, tis not to worry, Dangles. Like I said, just pick up one for one. That'll work just fine 'n' dandy!

I haven't counted one stitch on my Jamaica Log Cabin.
Just picked up and knit and knit and knit and knit....:eyes:.

Woodi
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I love hearing everyone's stories, esp about the granny with the two-year old who loves to watch her knit. I cannot imagine anyone that young learning to knit, but you never know! Maybe a corking set would be better for tiny fingers?

anyhoo, I almost gave up on my blankie when it turned into a trapezoid.....was set to throw it away, use it for a hot mat etc.....but took it to my knitting group (Friday morns, 2.5 hours) and surprisingly, with the conversations, laughter and happy company, I set it straight again.
I am going to finish this mess, no matter what. It will look like one of those roughly-made, what-do-they-call it when amateurs paint folk art objects, and they are so homely that people just love 'em? "outsider art", naieve art or folk art of all kinds. This is what caterogy my blanket will be in when done....a piece of priceless "outsider art" - priceless! LOL

Jan in CA
01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I do have a question, though. I bought the Mason Dixon Knitting book, and when it describes how to log-cabin-knit, it says that when you bind off, you keep the last loop rather than binding it off fully. I don't get that. Is that what all of you do?

I do leave it if I'm doing the Log Cabin blanket, but for the Moderne Baby blanket I'm binding off completely because the squares don't all start in the same place.

chj
01-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Jan - thanks for that!!! I get what you mean, and that's what I thought made sense. I am doing the modern version, but maybe I'll try the other one later. Much appreciated!

ArtLady1981
01-17-2009, 04:55 PM
I do have a question, though: (Artlady?) If you have this loop, do you use it to knit the first stitch of the knew color before you pick up the rest of the stitches? I hope that makes sense.

Yes I do. However, you don't have to. If you prefer to tidy up the end of each log and bind off ALL the stitches, and pick up NEW stitches for the next log, that will work, too.

When transitioning from log#8 to log #9...you have to bind off ALL the stitches of log #9 because log#9 isn't just around the corner. Same goes for log #10. You must first bind off ALL stitches of log #9...and pick up brand new stitches for log#10 at the other end of the blanket.

BTW: I am referring to Moderne Baby Log Cabin blanket.

sakura-panda
01-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Sakura, a 40" cable will be more than enough! I didn't use longer than a 32". I wait til the very last to use a 32" cuz I like my work to remain scrunched up close to the tip of the left hand needle. I hate having to go fetch the blanket too far down the length of a long cable. You know, the constant skooching the stitches up to the end of the diving board! I like them to remain close in line, ready to take their turn!

Thanks! :)

I'm on the other side -- I don't like things too scrunched up because sometimes they slide right off the needle. :lol: Not as often as they did when I first started knitting -- so maybe it's experience and not cable length -- but I feel better when there is a little bit of room for pushing back. It sounds like I don't need a new cable. :thumbsup:

sakura-panda
01-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I worked on this blanket some more today and I have come to the conclusion that if my first knitted project had been all garter stitch, I would have given up knitting before I finished my first project. :rofl:

Thank goodness for television! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
01-17-2009, 08:52 PM
I worked on this blanket some more today and I have come to the conclusion that if my first knitted project had been all garter stitch, I would have given up knitting before I finished my first project. :rofl:

Thank goodness for television! :thumbsup:
:roflhard: They make great TV projects and projects where you can't pay a lot of attention.

auntcrafty
01-18-2009, 12:25 AM
I love hearing everyone's stories, esp about the granny with the two-year old who loves to watch her knit. I cannot imagine anyone that young learning to knit, but you never know! Maybe a corking set would be better for tiny fingers?

Ladybug seems to be fascinated by the movement of the needles, but more importantly "helping" (her favorite thing). I've got some large plastic needles I think she will be able to handle well, since large crayons, markers, and pencils are easier for her to use. I want to find a chunky yarn so if she wants to keep knitting the end result will last a while. If it's too lacy I'm concerned it will get ruined.

She probably won't be able to learn to knit or finish a project, but as her nanny my job is to give her opportunities to explore and learn through doing. I love being an educarer! Right now it's knitting, last month she wanted me to trace her hands & feet every time I got paper and writing impliments out.

Dangles
01-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Thanks Artlady. :) Oddly enough, I just said to myself bah just go as is... and lo and behold it's actually a full 96 sts. HUH. go figure. I'm sadly a wee bit on the anal side :aww:

I am currently half way thru this block, thank goodness is a smaller block haha...

Well, tis not to worry, Dangles. Like I said, just pick up one for one. That'll work just fine 'n' dandy!

I haven't counted one stitch on my Jamaica Log Cabin.
Just picked up and knit and knit and knit and knit....:eyes:.

ArtLady1981
01-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Well, I am almost out of yarn. So this blanket will not have 21 logs. Pictured below are logs 1-15. I am lengthening the blanket now, and logs 16 & 17 will be end logs...like 21 and 22 would have been. I found some additional purple dk wool yarn in my wicker trunk, so that will help me lengthen it into a rectangle instead of a square. I'll be improvising logs 16 & 17. Almost done with 16 now, and will complete 17 tomorrow sometime.

I had to break down and BUY several skeins of bulky black yarn from www.elann.com for the border. But, kay-serah-serah! :wink:
It should deliver to my house early next week. Elann is just a stone's throw across the Canadian border. They are fast shippers.

Log 14 (the skinny blue log) ran out of yarn...but hey, who cares!?? This is, afterall, a stashghan! :teehee:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/3206246732_4f296ee76d.jpg?v=0

chj
01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Artlady - that is cool! Love, love, love the colors!!

I stayed up past the time I was going to go to bed last night because it was time to add the next color (#2) on mine, and I wanted to see how it went. When I get to color #3, I'll post a picture. With a cold day and a couple of football games (GO RAVENS!) I'll probably get a fair amount of knitting done today!

Jan in CA
01-18-2009, 02:07 PM
That's gorgeous, Dollyce! You're the only person I know who can get TWO blankets done in one month! :teehee:

chj
01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
That's gorgeous, Dollyce! You're the only person I know who can get TWO blankets done in one month! :teehee:

Seriously! And it's only the 18th of the month!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Dangles
01-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I concur. Great job, Artlady!

Firey Vixxen
01-19-2009, 01:03 AM

I concur. Great job, Artlady!

Hands up who wants to see if artlady can finish a third? *Puts both hands straight up in the air*
:thumbsup: Great job Artlady!
On that Note, I'm now on log 4. :woot: :X:
FV

ArtLady1981
01-19-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm about up to here with log cabinning right now! :roflhard:

This one will have to do for a while! :teehee:

Dangles
01-19-2009, 02:52 AM
I'm about up to here with log cabinning right now! :roflhard:

This one will have to do for a while! :teehee:

:teehee: you are the log cabin queen!

chj
01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I started my 3rd log during the very sad football game last night when the Ravens lost. :waah:

The good news is that it's an easy thing to knit when watching TV...

rachejm
01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
I have still done nothing more to mine as it is still at home and I am still at Uni, will be going home Thursday tho so looks like I got some catching up to do between the set chapters for monday.

I was really missing my knitting over the weekend! Had a bad few days and really needed something not remotely Uni related to take my mind off things. I got an essay mark back and it was a lot worse than I expected, particularly after spending so much time on it so I was pretty disappointed and then when I got the comments back I got very upset - it felt a bit personal.

Everything is better now, I can see why I got the mark but I just didn't feel it was as bad as the marker thought it was. Never mind. Just looking forward to the end of the week when I can go home and pick up my blanket again, then I can watch TV without feeling guilty cos I'll be doing something productive at the same time!

Karina
01-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I managed to finish my blanket yesterday evening (Sunday) here is a couple of photos. the first one Patches one of our kittens had to pounce on the blanket as I was taking the photo.

the second is of Maisey using it, Kamilia is letting her borrow it because she is not well.

it measures 45 x 44 inches using the 6 skeins of Caron Simply Soft. Have a little left to make a tiny blankie for Maiseys Barbie or baby doll.

Rachejm - sorry that you got a bad report back, I am sure you will do brilliantly on the next one. I think you need just a little project with you at all times in case of emergencies

chj
01-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Wow, Karina, very pretty! Great job!

Jan in CA
01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
That's beautiful, Karina!

Lieuvena
01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I love your blanket Karina. I love the colors.

Karina
01-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I can not believe how much they (my two oldest) are arguing over who has the blanket. Kamilia (13) has claimed the blanket as hers and there is no way she is letting her little brother (7) have it. at the moment we have agreed a share system. But only until I have knitted his blanket so now I am casting on to do this one. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spiderman-blanket I am just so glad Maisey is only 2 and never complains about anything.

Firey Vixxen
01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Wow, another person going for two blankets in the one month!
I'll bet the second one is just as beautiful as the first. Or maybe hansome is a better word since it's for a boy!
Great Job!

Karina
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Well I am not even going to attempt to finish this before Jan is over. I am sure my son will harass me until it is done so it can't be an ongoing project that's is for sure.

weezie
01-20-2009, 01:32 AM
Beautiful Karina!!

auntcrafty
01-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Lovely blankets!

I love my baby blanket and am on the fourth log. While organizing my yarn this weekend decided to make a modern style log cabin bath mat using some of the Sugar & Cream cotton I have (and didn't use for the Olympic dishcloths). It's going much faster, probably because I'm freehanding it and using size 10.5 needles. Ladybug came to visit this morning and claimed it as hers "mine, knit!" -- warm brown, potpourri ombre, lavendar, and hot blue. Will probably give it to her for her babies, but have to make something to give to Bug at the same time.

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 05:11 AM
:passedout: wow!
Karina, your LC is absolutely wonderful! I love the photo with your young'un all snuggled up in it! You really did a great job! Fantasic colors!

sakura-panda
01-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Karina -- your blanket is so beautiful! :inlove:

You know, I never had any desire to do a log cabin until I saw the blankets started in this thread. I'm still only about 1/3 the way through my first log :teehee: but I love seeing all of these finished examples.

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi Katie! That is such a nice compliment for all of us! Thanks for sharing your kind words of appreciation!

This was my first Log Cabin experience, and now that I've made one...and experienced how easy they are, especially for using up orphaned skeins, I wonder why I waited so long! :think:

We are glad you joined us! :cheering:

Karina
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
thank you for all the nice comments on my blanket. I have really enjoyed working on this KAL and will definitely make another in the near future. maybe all pinks and creams for Maisey, that way I know Kameron is not going to steal it from her.

I am quite surprised with myself as I love to cast on project but have a difficult time finishing them, especially simple projects. but this one could be knit on in the dark while watching tv, so finished up in just over two weeks.

Katie - I hope you get a lot done in the next couple of weeks before the baby is born. Post some photo's when you get a couple of more logs done.

Dangles
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Karina, your blanket looks great. :)

ladyjessica
01-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Karina, I just love your blanket. It's so bright and fun! :yay:

rachejm
01-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I also love the blankets, I keep forgetting to say so! They are all so colourful and pretty!

dibbs
01-20-2009, 03:49 PM
All the LCabin blankets are terrific, and I love the colors that everyone chose to work with. I've enjoyed seeing the progress and finished blankets from y'all. They are all so beautiful. :heart:

I've been slowly working on mine, but did take a few days off to do other things (not knit related) that had to get done, . I'll get back to it as time permits but I'm glad I decided to try this KAL, b'cause I would never have known that simply doing the garter stitch could become something to DESTRESS myself with.

Trisha :hug:

Lieuvena
01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm finally getting somewhere with my blanket, I will post a picture soon.

I have a problem though. My ends that I'm weaving in on the back are coming out! I keep snipping it off as they come out, but soon I'll have nothing left. I started just trying to weave them back in, but they keep coming back out. I have never had this happen before. I want to be able to gift this to my mom, but can't with it like this. Do you all have any suggestions?

Also, I read somewhere about lining the backs of a log cabin (can't remember if that was here or not), has anyone tried that. I'm thinking about giving it a try if I can get it the ends to stay in.

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm finally getting somewhere with my blanket, I will post a picture soon.

I have a problem though. My ends that I'm weaving in on the back are coming out! I keep snipping it off as they come out, but soon I'll have nothing left. I started just trying to weave them back in, but they keep coming back out. I have never had this happen before. I want to be able to gift this to my mom, but can't with it like this. Do you all have any suggestions?

Also, I read somewhere about lining the backs of a log cabin (can't remember if that was here or not), has anyone tried that. I'm thinking about giving it a try if I can get it the ends to stay in.

You could put a dab of "FRAY CHECK" by Dritz on the yarn just where the end lays underneath.

Fray Check is a liquid sealant. You drop a drop of it onto ribbon or fabric to prevent fraying... and after it dries, it disappears. I've used it on yarn as well. It is washable, but can be removed using rubbing alcohol. Click HERE (http://collectibles.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/blQTfraycheck.htm) to read about it.

Fray Check (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2848&PRODID=prd2992) is available at JoAnn's, as well as other fabric and craft stores. I wouldn't be without it. It is cheap and it goes a lonnnng ways. I also apply a teeny drip of Fray Check to secure the knots that I tie on the back of buttons, to keep the knot nice and tight. Before I had a serger, I used to drizzle a line of Fray Check along the naked edges of cotton fabrics, etc. to keep them from frizzling and fraying. Like I said, it looks wet when applied, but after it dries, it disappears.

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, all the log cabinning is done, and now I am just waiting for Elann.com to deliver my bulky weight black yarn so's I can add a 2" border all around the outside edges. Maybe even 3 inches. Well, prolly 5 ridges, whatever that measures out to be.

Yeah, I had to BUY yarn for the border, but I so wanted to frame this riot of colors with black.

42"x65" without the black border:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3213778818_5d3483f988.jpg?v=0

My colors: tomato, squash, pumpkin, spinach, banana, plum, grape, and blueberry.

Lieuvena
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Artlady I'm in complete awe! Your ability is amazing. Great job on both your blankets, they are beautiful. I can't wait to see the black border on the second blanket. And I love, love, love the names of your yarn.

I'm sure you already mentioned it in this thread, but what kind yarn did you use for the second blanket?

Firey Vixxen
01-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Yay! Have I mentioned how much I like SuperCheapTuesdays at the movies? If not, I have now. and I'm now on log 5! Yay!:woot:
FV

ArtLady1981
01-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Artlady I'm in complete awe! Your ability is amazing. Great job on both your blankets, they are beautiful. I can't wait to see the black border on the second blanket. And I love, love, love the names of your yarn.

I'm sure you already mentioned it in this thread, but what kind yarn did you use for the second blanket?

Spinach, tomato, squash, blueberry and plum were "Naturgarn No. 1 by Gjestgal". I purchased it from Elann.com a few years back and it is now discontinued. Darn. It was cheap in price.

Banana was Manos del Uruguay.

Pumpkin was Knit Picks DK Merino, held double strands.

Grape was a fingering weight wool tweed held 3 strands. (I got it super cheap off Ebay a few years ago. A 2,000 cone for $19. Yeah, I didn't know any better. It smells of chemicals and is stiff, kinda like a hemp yarn. Sigh. It kinda softened up as I knit it. I'll maybe use the remaining for a felted project.)

And one of the corner patches has just one Strawberry stripe using KnitPicks DK Merino held double stands. I didn't list this particular red cuz its just 10 short ridges inbetween a squash and pumpkin. It is really the wrong red, but I was out of Tomato. Darn.

I was really diggin' deep into Yarn Jail for this blanket! :woohoo:

Karina
01-21-2009, 05:21 AM
I love your blanket Artlady. And I love the fact that you used whatever you had to hand and made it work for you. Brilliant bit of stash management.

Woodi
01-21-2009, 07:50 AM
http://www.soapmaker.ca/SoapPics/LgerBlankie.JPG

I'm still here, hanging in! Enjoying this challenge so much! I've decided that I'm falling in love with this lumpy, bumpy but colorful blankie, and will continue until done. I'm not following the rules with this one, since it's gone wrong so many times already. I even have a row of crochet somewhere in it (in middlemost pale mauve, to the left), just to even it up, which I find so much easier to do with crochet than knitting (shorter posts and longer posts in one row, hehe).

It truly can be considered 'outsider art'. After I get better at knitting, I bet I won't be able to make anything this 'quaint' ever again.... (fingers crossed)

Karina
01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Woodi - I love your blankie and your perseverance. You have used all my favourite colours. You will look at this blanket at some point in the future and see how far you have come. Well done.

weezie
01-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Woodi, I just love your stashghan!!! What an original... and you have learned so much to help your knitting in the future that this one will be a keeper that you will grow to love even more.

Way to go!! :cheering:

ArtLady1981
01-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi Woodi! I love outsider art! :teehee: Your colors are working great together! The yarn looks soft and cushy! Great job!
You really are booking along quite nicely! Before ya know it, it'll be done! And then you'll miss it! :eyes: Maybe!

ArtLady1981
01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
I found another style of SEAMLESS BLANKET today at Barbara Breitner's website! She emails me. Take a look at it. You'll like it I'm sure. The wide middle panel is knit from bottom to top (south to north) all in one piece; the side panels are picked up and knitted east-west! Kewl!

http://knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafstripe.htm

Designed by Barbara Breitner (link provided above)

http://knittingonthenet.com/graphic/babyafstripe2.jpg

sakura-panda
01-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Artlady -- It's too bad you ran out of blue; that would have made a beautiful border! I think black will look fantastic too (even though you had to buy it :teehee: ) and I can't wait to see the finished piece!

Woodi -- I love how you are planning to stick with your blanket! I think it looks terrific so far :thumbsup:.

chj
01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
I found another style of SEAMLESS BLANKET today at Barbara Breitner's website! She emails me. Take a look at it. You'll like it I'm sure. The wide middle panel is knit from bottom to top (south to north) all in one piece; the side panels are picked up and knitted east-west! Kewl!

http://knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babyafstripe.htm

Designed by Barbara Breitner (link provided above)

Oh, wow, I really do like that. When it comes right down to it, there are endless possibilities for this technique. I love it!

Dangles
01-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Wow, Artlady, you've done it again :notworthy: . Very cool 'Jamaican" blanket :)

ArtLady1981
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I grubbed around and found some more stash acrylic and started the new seamless blanket by B. Breitner for my grandson. I can't give my granddaughter Celeste her blankie til I have a blankie for Caleb!

I am tired of log cabinning, well...planning for log cabinning. I don't know if my yarn I found would be substantial enough for a log cabin for each log, but it will work for the random stripes of the Barbara Breitner seamless blanket!

My black yarn came this afternoon, so I put aside Caleb's blankie and am working on that black border on the Jamaican Log Cabin!

It is really really nice yarn. Wish I'd had that quality for the entire blanket, but alas, it doesn't come in the brilliant Jamaican colors anyways.

Firey Vixxen
01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Whoowho Artlady! See, I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away. I really like the BB stripey afgan too, but really must get some other UFO's out the way before I can even think of casting on.
*sigh* I guess it'll go on my ever growing todo list.
FV

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-22-2009, 12:33 AM
i went and got some size 9 straights.... was going through my projects and found a crocheted blanket to frog (it's only 1/2 done) since I can't crochet anymore... and i have NO desire to leave it, and the remaining yarn isn't enough on it's own to do anything else with...

ArtLady1981
01-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Whoowho Artlady! See, I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away. I really like the BB stripey afgan too, but really must get some other UFO's out the way before I can even think of casting on.
*sigh* I guess it'll go on my ever growing todo list.
FV

:aww: Well, this 3rd blankie will take a few months. I am finishing the trim on the Jamaica Log Cabin tonight...have 2 rows left on the 4th side...:cheering:...but I am hosting that SYLVI KAL starting Feb 1st...and I must get my notebook prepared and the charts color-coded.

I am glad I have a 'mindless' blankie going though...for those evenings when I'm havin' meself a glass of wine! :teehee:

I have a hat pattern I want to try out, too, for DH. It is called the Machu Picchu Earflap Hat, and it's kinda Native American looking...kinda cultural looking...and it will involve stranding for the contrast color. It uses bulky yarn, so it shouldn't take too long. I have two colors picked out for two separate earflap hats. Coffee brown heather, russet heather, rhubarb heather, lt charcoal heather, and charcoal heather. The earflap hat takes a main color and one contrast color...so I'll have to decide on which two will go together for the two hats. Maybe one will be for me, too!

So, with SYLVI coming, the hats and the last seamless blankie...oh, and the final sleeve and seaming for a jacket for DH...I have my little list cut out for meself! :thumbsup:

ArtLady1981
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Finally done! Border sucked up 260 yards of the black Peruvian Highland Bulky. Five ridges, bind off row WS facing created the 5th ridge in the working.

I'll use this border technique again. I really like it.
Inc 1 st at each end every RS row.
Weave the mitered corners together to join.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3474/3217564537_6b4ed4f2a0.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3317/3217563977_94ae7d8603.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3217565269_5942e802d3.jpg?v=0

rachejm
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
:inlove: Love your blanket Artlady!

I am now home and can work on mine a bit more, yay. Only for a few days cos I don't fancy gettin it back on the train but hey, knitting time is good!

kellybigeyes
01-22-2009, 03:39 PM
ArtLady.... I LOVE the blanket!! The black border just makes everything POP. Great Job!!!

chj
01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
WOW! Artlady, that's beautiful! What are the finished dimensions on it? It's hard to tell in the picture. (NEVER MIND - I see it in the other thread!!)

I'm finally to my 4th color on my modern version. Will try to post pictures tomorrow. I didn't pay a lot of attention to gauge, and I think I may be in trouble - this thing is going to be enormous if I don't make some adjustments (which I'm going to do). In any case, this is fun! :knitting:

Dangles
01-23-2009, 01:16 AM
:passedout: What a blanket! That border, just made your blanket a double wow. :thumbsup:

chj
01-23-2009, 10:53 AM
OK, here we go! This is my blankie after 1 week. As you can see, it's getting big already... I have the navy side on stitch holders to avoid doing so much pick-up. That seems to work pretty well. Anyway, so far, so good!

sakura-panda
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
:passedout: What a blanket! That border, just made your blanket a double wow. :thumbsup:

I agree! That border makes a gorgeous blanket absolutely stunning! :happydance:

On the slow blanket front (:lol:), my nickel tips came yesterday and I switched my blanket over during DD's bath. It is knitting so much easier now! Bamboo needles and cheap acrylic are not a speedy combination! ;)

Today is my last day of work and I really want to get to the second log before the baby comes (Feb 4) so that I can take this to the hospital and not get stuck between logs!

I'm sure I'll be fine, but right now I'm a little anxious about everything -- not just knitting and baby related -- and having that behind me would help.

(And I do mean a little -- it's not keeping me up nights, but it crosses my mind whenever I'm thinking about that project. Like right now. :teehee:)

sakura-panda
01-23-2009, 11:05 AM
OK, here we go! This is my blankie after 1 week. As you can see, it's getting big already... I have the navy side on stitch holders to avoid doing so much pick-up. That seems to work pretty well. Anyway, so far, so good!

That looks so nice! I love those colors! :yay:

rachejm
01-23-2009, 12:29 PM
I finished log 8 last night and am now halfway through log 9 making it up as I go along. Its gonna turn out something like Karina's I think except that I only have two colours (cream and brown) so it won't be anywhere near as groovy - as long as its warm I'm not too bothered but if I do another one I'll do it with bright colours. I'd take a pic for my blog but the camera is still in Birmingham and I am at home for the weekend, I knew I'd leave something behind!

Karina
01-23-2009, 02:02 PM
chj - your blanket is looking great so far, nice colours.

Katie - I can't knit with bamboo. I love my options and harmony's. Are the baby being induced since your counter say 19 days to go.

Rachejm - look forward to seeing your blanket. I have 4 skeins each of cream and brown cascade eco which I am considering making into a blanket.

Artlady - Your blanket turned out brilliant. love the colours.

Woodi
01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
That black border is just perfect, Sylvi! How did you do it? are there instructions somewhere to do it?

sakura-panda
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
Katie - I can't knit with bamboo. I love my options and harmony's. Are the baby being induced since your counter say 19 days to go.

I bought bamboo for my first circular -- a cheap way to see what I thought of it! I didn't remember it being this sticky though; my harmonys must have spoiled me! ;)

I'm having a scheduled C-section. My last one ended up as an emergency C-section and we decided it would be better to not risk that again. Especially since DD was almost 9.5 pounds! :shock:

I tried to update my ticker, but then it said I was 38 weeks along, instead of 37 and that seemed even more deceptive. :shrug: