PDA

View Full Version : Knitting New Year's Resolutions

desidiva
01-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Does anyone have any knitting resolutions/goals for this year? Learning how to knit was one of my 2008 resolutions. Thought I'd come up with some knitting related resolutions for this year. Curious to see if others made knitting resolutions. Here are mine:
1. Buy, learn how to use, and actually use dpns. I like making hats, but I've never used dpns. Every time I go to my lys, the owner tries to convince me that I need dpns. I always resist, but not any more.
2. Learn something new from every project--a new pattern, cast on etc.
3. Learn cables (might be a little too ambitious though).
4. Teach someone to knit.

knitterific
01-01-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a few knitting goals for this year as well:

1. Learn how to read patterns that are more difficult than just the knit and purl stitch.
2. Learn to knit socks.
3. Start knitting Christmas gifts now!

Marria
01-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Here are my goals/resolutions:

1. Knit out of my stash instead of buying new yarns.
2. Finish my UFOs.
3. Learn to knit intarsia.
4. Learn to add short rows to a pre-written pattern in order to add bust shaping.

sabrinasmom
01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
1) I want to learn how to do double knitting.
2) I want to make more knitted items.
3) I want to finish what I start.:rofl:

LadyFirelyght
01-01-2009, 11:30 PM
1. Learn how to do a traditional gusset heel.
2. Do at least 3 pieces of Fair Isle work.
3. Make one sellable item (and sell it!)
4. Finish designing the bag I'm working on.
5. Attempt yarn dyeing.

campbellmom549
01-01-2009, 11:41 PM
1. Learn to double knit
2. Get my gifts finished in time
3. Learn to size sweaters to fit me!
4. Finish The Neverending Afghan :rofl:

Marria
01-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Here are my goals/resolutions:

1. Knit out of my stash instead of buying new yarns.
2. Finish my UFOs.
3. Learn to knit intarsia.
4. Learn to add short rows to a pre-written pattern in order to add bust shaping.

I have one more I forgot to include--

5. Design an original sweater for myself.

dairywife
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Here are mine.....

1. Organize my stash to one central location.

2. Challenge myself with each pattern I choose.

3. ALways finish what I start

4. Teach Sonemone to Knit (Pay it forward)

5. Attend at least 6 Knitting gatherings at LYS

CountryNaturals
01-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I have a few knitting goals for this year as well:

1. Learn how to read patterns that are more difficult than just the knit and purl stitch.
2. Learn to knit socks.
3. Start knitting Christmas gifts now!
2 & 3 go for me, too. I've already started next year's Christmas gifts. I'll pass on 1, cuz I'm trying to simplify my life in all areas, including knitting.

rachejm
01-02-2009, 06:29 PM
1. Finish gifts on time

2. Don't start more than two things at once cos something won't get finished!

3. Knit my first sweater

4. Use up some of my stash of sock yarn (a - cos I like knitting socks and b - so I can buy more sock yarn and have somewhere to put it!)

mks22300
01-02-2009, 08:06 PM
1. Knit stuff from my stash.
2. Find patterns for the stuff that's in my stash. :teehee:
3. Start my preschool class Christmas presents now, so I'm not rushing to finish them a week before Christmas.
4. Learn to knit two socks on one long circ using the 2-at-a-Time Socks book I got last Christmas.
5. Make a pair of socks for me! :)

yarnspirit
01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
1. Learn to knit socks
2. Sell some at our local Farmer's Market
3. For every item sold at the market, I will knit a similar one for Charity
4. Knit a sweater for my husband

utcarsons
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
OK Im a newbie, so mine was easy..

1. Get interchangealbe circ needles (did that today :cheering: )
2. Keep knitting... :thumbsup:

Jodie

WandaT
01-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Here are mine:

1. Knit as much as possible from my stash.
2. Make some socks.
3. Knit my first sweater.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's it for now.

lelvsdgs
01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
So far mine are:

1. Learn to knit in the round. Efficiently.
2. Start Christmas presents by February 1.
3. Try to stash bust as much as possible.
4. Make a booga bag and felt it...

That's it for now...

dodgerfan
01-03-2009, 12:40 AM
1. Finish the blanket that I started in July (even though its taking forever!!)

2. Learn to knit a sweater

3. Learn to make socks (I really think my mom would enjoy them, and I haven't made her anything with my new found love)

4. Finish what I start

5. Have Fun!!!! :cheering:

Tropicflower24
01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Yup!

I want to:
Buy a stitionary
Design 10 - 15 more patterns this year, and attempt to publish at least 5.
Work on designing lace.
Remember not to be confined by the knitting techniques.

RuthieinMaryland
01-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Hi, all! :waving:

That's what I plan - a "knit-fest" that encompasses the whole year! :woohoo:

My first and most important resolution is for the first quarter of the new year - to finish the book I started a few months ago on how to design your own cotton kitchen cloths and accessories.

The designs and text part are going well and I'm starting to get into the stage where the patterns need to be tested. Before approaching a publisher I want to have all my i's dotted and my t's crossed, which means making sure the patterns are correct and easily worked. (If anyone is interested in testing some patterns, please let me know!)

My goal is to produce a book that's fun, informative, easy-to-use and sparks creativity in my readers.

Once that's ready to go, I have a couple of afghans to do for family members and I want to knit more socks! I LOVE knitting them and have been seeing some interesting videos on You Tube for techniques.

Another important goal for me this year is to be a better source of help and encouragement for other knitters who just love to knit. I've gained so much from this site, and other knitters, that I want to contribute more myself. I've already started by beginning to teach a friend to knit. She's just learning cast on and knit stitches but already she's fascinated by it.

So that's enough to keep me busy for awhile. In the meantime, I wish all of you a happy, healthy, prosperous and creative new year!

Hugs :hug:
Ruthie :knitting:

Karina
01-03-2009, 01:08 PM
My main goal is to finish UFO's and knit from stash, running out of storage room so need to use up quite a bit of stash so I can go buy more later in the year.

My MIL just gave me a load of cotton yarn, So Ruthie if you have any dish/wash cloths etc that uses up cotton I would be willing to test out some patterns for you.

dodgerfan
01-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I'd be willing to test some dish clothes, several family members want some and I am tired of knitting boring dish clothes.

Denise in Michigan
01-03-2009, 03:03 PM
In 2009, I'm not going to listen to that little voice that says "Ignore the measurements you've taken. Make that top-down armhole an inch deeper. It's better to have a little extra room there than not enough. And cast on a few extra stitches under the arms, too. You might really need them there. Don't decrease any away as you work the body! After all, your hips are coming up!". Granted, I like my clothing comfy but I've fallen into the habit of knitting in so much ease that, well, as my husband puts it, "You and a friend could have a party in that sweater!". It's time for me to reassess my body and knit for it, not for the larger woman I think I am.

I have a theory based upon clothing that friends and relatives have given me. Those folks larger than I am tend to get me clothes that are a little too snug, while folks smaller that I am get clothing 1 to 2 sizes too large for me. Using that theory, my inner knitter is smaller than my outer knitter, and I'm making things too large for that reason. Maybe my resolution should be to get the inner and outer knitters to be the same size!;)

KnitTogether
01-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I think my biggest goal is to finish what I start! I recently joined here, and one of the reasons is that I needed an ole kick in the be-hind to finish some things sitting in corners in bags. I always do more knitting in the winter than summer, and thought that seeing some other people's finished, beautiful projects, would give me some motivation.... and thank you everyone.. it has! :) So my #1 goal is that if I'm going to have more than 5 things going at a time, that's ok, but I need to be working on all of them.... I tend to start something and by the time I get back to it, I lose interest and it gets frogged. I'd like to frog less this year, and finish more!:knitting:

Kinnexa
01-03-2009, 04:23 PM
1. Keep knitting and keep enjoying it.

2. Learn to purl.

3. Learn to make something besides scarves and hats!

4. Keep having fun knitting... (bears repeating!)

5. Use up some of MIL's stash odds and ends making CAT TOYS for my local rescue group!

auntcrafty
01-03-2009, 05:50 PM
1. Finish projects in a more timely manner.
2. Don't start so many projects I can't finish them in a timely manner.
3. Have realistic expectations -- will I be able to finish in a timely manner?
4. Start Christmas projects by March
5. Find ways to help others thru knitting.

TEMA
01-03-2009, 09:35 PM
My New Years knitting resolutions:
1. To knit a big sweater on circular needles.
2. To knit a pair of socks
3. Not to let my 'stash' outweigh my achievements.
TEMA;)
:knitting:

Koehnae
01-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Complete at least one object a month. (A pair of socks count as one object.)
Limit myself to two works in progress.
Complete a sweater.
Make Yule gifts for everyone on my list... no more buying gifts!

Kinnexa
05-29-2009, 02:40 AM
Well, it's nearly June and I just found my resolutions on this old thread...How are we all doing? I'm happy to report I am STILL HAVING FUN knitting. (Most of the time.) I've learned to purl :woot: and make a couple of different increases, a simple drop stitch, and I-cord, and I'm now comfortable working with sock yarn - and I've even ordered some laceweight alpaca. We'll see how that goes. And I've made a couple of toy mice, even though my kitties apparently do not appreciate handknit gifts.

So many possibilities, so little time...

rachejm
05-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Well I have used some of my sock yarn, to make socks oddly enough. I have also knit a sweater - or at least a cardigan which is close enough. It was a gift that I did finish on time but the blanket I started will not be finished on time so partial success. As for not starting too many things at once, that one went right out of the window.

how is everyone else doing?

Koehnae
05-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Well, I haven't even started a sweater or Yule gifts, but I'm doing well on my resolutions to complete an object a month and to limit myself to two WIP. I'm doing better with my knitting resolutions than my general life resolutions! :teehee:

WandaT
05-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Mine were to knit from my stash, learn to do socks and make my first sweater. So far I have used more of my stash but I haven't made my first pair of socks OR a sweater. I got sidetracked by baby knitting. :)