PDA

View Full Version : I have some general questions..

Anonymous1
01-04-2009, 01:43 AM
So, I learned some knitting in my old highschool crafts class. I'm almost a complete newbie at this. For my birthday my boyfriend got me something hand made that I loved, and I'd like to do the same for his birthday about.. 2 months from now. I want to knit him a blanket, at least 3x3 in length&height. I have to learn how to knit, do a small practice project or few depending on how quick I catch on, and then begin knitting the blanket. I also understand it's going to take a lot of dedication and time to do this. My questions are:

Is 2 and a half months a realistic time frame to knit a 3x3 blanket for someone who knows near nothing about knitting (I'm willing to put in two to three hours + daily)? Is writing hard to do? A lot of material on home made things I see isn't what would be good for a blanket, it's a little itchy. What kind of material would be good/durable for a blanket?

crazykntter83
01-04-2009, 01:57 AM
If you're only willing to put in 1 or 2 hours into the blanket within a 2 1/2 month time frame, I don't know how reasonable that is. Plus you're going to have to take the time to learn to knit. As far as learning how, this site is a great start. :) About the yarn, it'll usually soften up after a wash. I like caron simply soft. It's what I'm using on the afghan that I'm crocheting atm.
I would suggest a smaller project, if 2 1/2 months is all you have. I would do something like a scarf. Maybe a blanket could be a Christmas present if you end up liking the craft? Hope this helped. Good luck! :)

tokmom
01-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Hello and welcome!

I would think it has to do with how quickly you learn. I was taught in 7th grade how to knit and didn't pick it back up until 30 odd years later. I taught myself the basics, from the video's here. I made a simple dishcloth, advanced to totes, and now do socks and other smaller projects. I went from dishcloths to socks in a matter of one month.
If you are willing to put in that much time daily, and the pattern isn't too involved, I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Good luck!

RuthieinMaryland
01-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi! :waving:

What a generous and loving heart you have! Your willingness to hand-make something beautiful for your bf and learn to knit to do that is a terrific thing! And everyone here will help you all we can.

You've come to the right place! The videos here, and the great folks in this forum, make this a knitters paradise!

First off, I agree with the suggestion about using Caron's "Simply Soft". I've made 6 afghans with it for my family and they all love them, they're so beautiful and soft and squishy! Also, the skeins have 7 oz. in them so the yarn goes a long way.

You could actually do strips of "garter stitch" which means you'd knit every row. I'd recommend strips since they're easier to sew together than individual blocks. You can even change colors within each strip (Amy has videos on here that will show you how) for multicolored. Or you could do different colored strips. Whatever you envision you can do.

And consider making your strips longer, say 60 inches or so, with a total width of the afghan maybe 40" or 45". That way you can both cuddle up under it. There's nothing like a cuddle-type afghan for warmth and comfort (and romance!).

And don't worry about your time limit. If you're working 2+ hours a day on it, and it's all knit stitch, you'll amaze yourself how much you get done! Besides, since you have such a strong and good purpose, it'll inspire you to keep going and get 'er done! :yay:

Good luck with it and please let us know how it's going or if you have any question.

Happy knitting and Happy New Year@ :clink:

Ruthie :knitting:

WandaT
01-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Welcome to KH! I will ditto the Caron Simply Soft as well as Red Heart Soft - I really love how it works up too. If I wanted to learn to knit and complete something in that time period, I would definitely use a bulky yarn or at least use 2 strands of a worsted weight (Caron Simply Soft for example) and a larger needle. I recently did a scarf using a very simple rib stitch, 2 strands of Red Heart Soft and size 13 needles. It came out beautiful! I also completed a baby blanket using the feather and fan pattern with 2 strands of Caron Simply Soft and size 11 needles. I can be done if you're willing to put the time in. I hope you'll show us what you decide and how it comes out!

Jaxhil
01-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I agree, I think it's definitely do-able! Especially if you're willing to put in 2-3 hours plus a day.

I also agree with Wanda T, using 2 (or even 3) strands held together while knitting is a great idea-you'll be amazed at how quickly it will go using this method!!

The Caron Simply Soft and RH Soft are both nice cuddly yarns that would be perfect for this (not too expensive, either!).

Good luck!

holly-davis
01-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I've been a member here for over a year, and this is my first post! I learned to knit in junior high (mid '70's), quit and didn't pick it up again until Sept. 2007 when my Marine son was being deployed to Iraq. The mom's of his battalion were knitting scarves to send to the boys to keep them warm and I wanted to help - so I bought needles and yarn and found this website to re-teach me how. I had two months to knit as many scarves as I could, and I got 7 done, and boy was I proud of myself.

I know you can do this too. I ditto the others about the Caron Simply Soft, using a double strand, and large needles. You'll have the blanket done in no time and you'll be looking for other projects to make for people. That's why I'm here today!

Have fun, and let us know how it goes!

KnitTogether
01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Congratulations on learning and pursuing the craft!:thumbsup: A word of warning, it can be a little addictive in a good sort of way!:rofl: I also love Caron simply soft; I have used it for shawls, ruanas, blankets - I enjoy working with it and that I can throw in the washer and dyer if I want. Good luck!