PDA

View Full Version : Knitting with sock yarn... other than socks?

AngieLanigan
01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
So far, I've only knitting using worsed weight yarns. I was in Michael's yesterday, and they've got some really pretty sock yarn on clearance. Really, really pretty. I really want to buy it, but I really have zero desire to knit socks LOL

So, can you use sock yarn to knit anything besides socks?

Ingrid
01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Of course you can! Anything that calls for a fingering weight yarn should work.

PBELKNAP
01-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Here's an example:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/johnny/johnny.html

AngieLanigan
01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
oh, awesome! Thanks! I didn't know what made sock yarn, sock yarn... I figured there was something special about it, other than just the weight and that some of them make pretty stripes :)

I don't know what I'm going to make with it, but I'm totally buying some today!

Woodi
01-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I love sock yarn too. After knitting up half a dozen pairs last year, I have some ends left over. I plan to knit little purses from it, for my 4-year old grand-daughter. It would also make cute beanie hats.

suzeeq
01-06-2009, 11:23 AM
You can make hats, scarves, shawls, neckwarmers with it. Either single or double stranded. I've seen the patterned sock yarn knit doubled and it makes a nice tweedy effect.

booskibabe
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Here's another example:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTthermal.html
I plan on making this eventually. :D

knitasha
01-06-2009, 02:30 PM
oh, awesome! Thanks! I didn't know what made sock yarn, sock yarn...

Wool sock yarn has two special characteristics:
it's usually machine washable (because socks get washed a lot)
and it usually has a small percentage of nylon mixed into the wool
for extra strength.

Jan in CA
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I see you're on Rav... click on patterns/advanced search then narrow the choices down by selecting yarn and put in fingering weight. You'll see tons of patterns. :thumbsup:

jdee
01-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I've used sock yarn for a baby hat, and also christmas ornaments. It's fun.

thepurplegg
01-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I actually saw someone making a baby blanket with it. It would take a while though.

knit4u
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Good Morning Ladies,
I actually made several baby sweaters using Sockotta, a sock yarn by The Plymouth Company. They offer sock yarn that makes up into different prints. Using this yarn gives the item you are knitting a very interesting look and this yarn is terrific!
I have also used it for scarves..a fan & feather pattern makes up great! Good Luck with your soc yarn projects.:)
Veronica

tgwillis
01-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Which yarn was on sale?

MoniDew
01-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't mean what I am about to say to be dismissive in any way of what everyone else has already said, but...

If you would like to make a larger project in a lighter gauge yarn, I really wouldn't go with sock yarn because you get very little yardage for the money. I would buy the laceweight instead. You can often find 1000 yard skeins in variagated colors. Fewer knots/joins in your larger project.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? IMHO, yes.

Plantgoddess+
01-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Ah but lace weight is even finer than sock yarn and it takes more stitches per inch therefore more yarn to get the same size project. That said I can get a pair of socks from one 50g skein of lace weight and only one sock from 50g skein of fingering or sock weight. Someday I will break down and make a tee shirt or sweater from lace weight just because I think I would wear it more than a heavier one.

rachael72knitter
01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Sock yarns make really pretty shawls. I have used it in solid colors for a shawl, not the self-striping.

I wish they sold more sock yarn in variegated colors- at least at Michaels and Honny Lobby.