PDA

View Full Version : I just don't get it

KnittinChick
01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
For years, I've heard people say that knitting is much harder to do than crochet. I picked up knitting like a duck to water, but I can't crochet to save my life. My mother can crochet without even looking at her hands. She's tried time and time again to teach me, but I just can't do it. :wall:
Is there some ancient crochet secret that you only get if you can do a chain stitch? lol
I'd love to learn, so that I can do decorative borders on blankets, and I've seen some beautiful lace patterns.
Can anyone recommend a book for beginners or offer some tips?

Thank you!

MGM
01-06-2009, 08:53 PM
How about a few videos to get you going? I have made some on my site for beginners which you can check out here (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2008/07/time-to-get-organized-crochet.html). Just look down the list to the heading that says "Learn to Crochet Video Tutorials" and start at the beginning.

While you are there, make sure you sign up for my Winter Giveaway. You'll find a link to it towards the top of my sidebar.

Hope this helps!

MGM

SheehanCreations
01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree... video is about the best.... I think that crochet is something that just "hits" you all of a sudden.... it takes practice,,, but I can whip up things more than twice as fast in crochet... I believe it's the whole "one needle thing"..... I am a "thrower" in knit and that slows me down a bit.. but both are something I do every day of my life... since I was 14... good luck... I'm off to check out the video... I love them!! bj

OffJumpsJack
01-07-2009, 11:16 AM
"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." :roflhard:

Knitting is the same:

Knitting was hard for me because I kept a tight tension on the yarn, casting on was teadious, and keeping the stitches on the needle was a challenge. Casting (binding) off is still my weakness. :nails: And then you must do something with each and every stitch. The rows are all the same size, there is only two stitches (no, really just one! A purl is just how to do a knit from the back side.) How can you knit so many different patterns using just a knit or a purl!

Well, I've learned there are stitch variations: YO, KBL, M1, etc. Well, I've read about more stitches than I've actually done.
Knitting is smooth, and rows are the same height throughout the fabric. You just need to count stitches for width and rows for length of your fabric.

Knitting is laying bricks. Side by side. Same size and shape. On and on...

Crochet.

Crochet is different. Each stitch is complete. You get to choose where to connect the next stitch, because each new stitch binds off the previous one.

Crochet is freedom. Freedom to be adventurous! A chain is nothing more than one slip knot made through the loop of another slip knot. You have a larger variety of stitches in crochet, and each changes the texture of the fabric.

Crochet is working with knots of different heights and shapes. Like taking irregular stones and building a wall. Crochet is stone masonry. Shape the stone to fit and fill the next gap in your work. Crochet is texture, each stitche has width and height(or length). Rows can be short or tall or both mixed together.

What knitting and crochet have in common is the fiber and using one or more loops to make more stitches.

Crochet is beautiful lace and doilies, afghans, and grannie squares. Crochet is big and bold or fine and delicate. Crochet fits a mood or follows a fancy.

You start easy enough. You tie a knot. Then you pull a loop of your strand through your knot and make your second chain. Try it with a soft rope, like clothes line or a shoe lace. Work it with your fingers. See what new shape you can make, then find the name for it. "Oh, that's a harringbone-half-double-crochet."

Crochet is discovery, discovering how the rope or yarn loops and passes over, around, through, and back again. Crochet is an exploration of what is in the yarn, yearning to me formed into a warm blanket or a cosy set of slippers.

Crochet is a game of twister with a hook and some yarn.

Lean back and explore the twists and turns. Enjoy the art of creating beauty.

Crochet. :)

--Jack :guyknitting:

Ah, well, back to knitting this scarf.

...this is the scarf that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some fellow started knitting it not knowing what it was, and now he keeps on knitting it forever just because... ;)

MMario
01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
For both knitting and crochet: there are nearly as many ways to perform the motions as there are knitters and crocheters.

There is a group of people I not infrequently gather with - seven or eight of us crochet (about the same number knit - but in different combinations) and even though two of us TAUGHT several of the others to crochet - we all hold the hook and thread differently and have different styles of making the same stitches.

But the results are very very similar.

Mike
01-07-2009, 12:19 PM
For years, I've heard people say that knitting is much harder to do than crochet. I picked up knitting like a duck to water, but I can't crochet to save my life. My mother can crochet without even looking at her hands. She's tried time and time again to teach me, but I just can't do it. :wall:
Is there some ancient crochet secret that you only get if you can do a chain stitch? lol
I'd love to learn, so that I can do decorative borders on blankets, and I've seen some beautiful lace patterns.

Thank you!
You don't really say what your problem is.
If you would perhaps someone could offer a tip that would click for you.

Without knowing the problem all I could figure is you're trying to do it exactly like your mother. Don't worry about making the motions the same, only worry about the end results.
My sister picks up with her hook. I wrap with my left. My great niece does some sort of motion that is very much like English knitting.

Another thing could be the style of hook. Some people do better with Boye style, some do better with Bates style.

cheley
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Knitting is the same:

Knitting was hard for me because I kept a tight tension on the yarn, casting on was teadious, and keeping the stitches on the needle was a challenge. Casting (binding) off is still my weakness. :nails: And then you must do something with each and every stitch. The rows are all the same size, there is only two stitches (no, really just one! A purl is just how to do a knit from the back side.) How can you knit so many different patterns using just a knit or a purl!

Well, I've learned there are stitch variations: YO, KBL, M1, etc. Well, I've read about more stitches than I've actually done.
Knitting is smooth, and rows are the same height throughout the fabric. You just need to count stitches for width and rows for length of your fabric.

Crochet.

Crochet is different. Each stitch is complete. You get to choose where to connect the next stitch, because each new stitch binds off the previous one.

Crochet is freedom. Freedom to be adventurous! A chain is nothing more than one slip knot made through the loop of another slip knot. You have a larger variety of stitches in crochet, and each changes the texture of the fabric.

Crochet is working with knots of different heights and shapes. Like taking irregular stones and building a wall. Crochet is stone masonry. Shape the stone to fit and fill the next gap in your work. Crochet is texture, each stitche has width and height(or length). Rows can be short or tall or both mixed together.

What knitting and crochet have in common is the fiber and using one or more loops to make more stitches.

Crochet is beautiful lace and doilies, afghans, and grannie squares. Crochet is big and bold or fine and delicate. Crochet fits a mood or follows a fancy.

You start easy enough. You tie a knot. Then you pull a loop of your strand through your knot and make your second chain. Try it with a soft rope, like clothes line or a shoe lace. Work it with your fingers. See what new shape you can make, then find the name for it. "Oh, that's a harringbone-half-double-crochet."

Crochet is discovery, discovering how the rope or yarn loops and passes over, around, through, and back again. Crochet is an exploration of what is in the yarn, yearning to me formed into a warm blanket or a cosy set of slippers.

...this is the scarf that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some fellow started knitting it not knowing what it was, and now he keeps on knitting it forever just because... ;) Nice explanation..

cheley
01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Try this:http://www.nexstitch.com/ maybe it'll help..

Craw
01-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Knitting is SO much harder and slower for me. Crochet I picked up effortlessly. I learned from this (http://www.amazon.com/crochet-pattern-stitches-combine-heirloom/dp/B000738K4S) book but that was before the time of You Tube and online tutorials, or at least before I knew of them. Having someone teach you in person is ideal but when you can't have that, the videos are the next best thing. The hook style certainly made a difference for me. Before I knew there were 2 different kinds, I'd tried a Boye hook and wound up tossing it thru a window. LOL To this day I'll toss a Boye hook thru a window in favor of a Susan Bates. I hold the hook and yarn differently than my mother or Grandmother but the results are the same.

cara16anna
01-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I learned from the Stitch & Bitch: The Happy Hooker. There's some great explanations in there. Just keep trying! You might need to hold the yarn and/or hook different than how your mother does.

Do you knit conitnental or english? If you knit english it may be a little different crocheting. Maybe try crocheting left handed?

Just some suggestions!

Do you know what part you're having problems with?

gotta knit
01-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I learned to crochet from diagrams like these:
http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Things/How_Tos/free_how_to_crochet.html

They were in a 'How-to...' booklet from Patons though, since it was the dark ages before computers and the Internet. There are lots of sites with diagrams and video now, so look around and you'll be a pro before you know it.

KnitTogether
01-07-2009, 05:20 PM
I've been crocheting for 30 years, but only knitting for about the last 7 or so. I picked up knitting pretty quick, but crocheting is faster. But I don't think that is just me; I think crochet just goes quicker. Crochet uses more yarn than knitting, which means more $ and a heavier end product. So I often use crochet for afghans, and edgings, and then knitting for other things. I've crocheted myself sweaters, and while they weren't bad, and looked great, I do prefer knitting sweaters. Just my preference. Also, there are two different ways to hold a crochet hook (both of which are perfectly fine); one is to hold it like a pencil, and the other is to hold it like a piece of chalk. You could experiment and see if one way or the other just feels better to you and is easier for you. :) Keep trying! :) Crochet makes wonderful embellishments, reverse crochet (also called the crab stitch) is great for finishing edges, as are crocheted laces.

aztec_judy
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
theres also the book : I TAUGHT MYSELF CROCHET ... which happens to be a very good book, with very good pictures and it is now printed for left or right handed crocheters ... nice patterns in it for you to practice on too.

craftymomma
01-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow, I was just about to post this same thread!!! Glad there are others out there like me!!! I too have had a tough time learning to crochet.. I have tried about 50 times to teach myself, but its still all greek to me, and like you, I have always heard knitting is alot harder to learn than crochet, so it aggravates me that I taught myself to knit in a few hours but can't quite get crochet. But I have also heard its harder to learn crochet if you already knit, so maybe thats it? I may have to check out some of the sites and books suggested here and try my hand again at it... Thanks!

robkat317
01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I think OffJumpsJack has it bang on the mark!!

I have to say this in addition. Having been a crocheter for 28 years, and learning to knit two years ago took having an open mind about it.........telling myself this (knitting) is going to be a new discovery, telling myself that once I learn it, I will love it. I think people (not saying you) sometimes take on a new task with negative thoughts lingering in their minds and that, in my opinion, just sets them up for failure.

I also want to add that because I was a crocheter first, I found that the Continental method of knitting was much easier for me because you hold the yarn in your left hand......don't know how that will help someone going from knitting to crochet, but I felt compelled to make that comment.

OffJumpsJack
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Thank you!

I think OffJumpsJack has it bang on the mark!!

:aww:

And I have to agree with Mike who pointed out the lack of detail as to what is giving you trouble. Is it the chain stitich? Vocabulary? Notation methods?

I love to knit but my first love, well I married her, but my first love of yarn craft is crochet. It [crochet] isn't knitting. [The languages are different because they have different needs.] Maybe that's part of the problem? [Even] if you can switch between English and Continental or manage cable needles and DPNs or have mastered two-handed Fair Isle doesn't mean you [should expect to be able to] pick up a hook and crochet [like a duck to water]. [If yoiu think of knitting is a duck swimming, then think of crochet as a duck flying.]

[The] bigest difference, I think, is that you need to know two things before each new stitch: First is the type of stitch, and Second is where [what stitch] to [work into].

A chain is most often only your starting foundation. If you have a completed knit project you only need your working yarn in one loop and the above two points of information. What stitch do you want to make and where do you want to put it.

The "Where" question is just as easy as picking up a stitch on a finished knit edge (slevage, CO or BO). The crochet pattern will tell you both the what and where.

Keep in mind that you are not going to soar the skies of crochet in your first attempt. Swimming and flying use different muscles (patterns at least) and those patterns must be learned. Slowly perhaps, but don't get frustrated with that.

I guess that you mom was showing you how to crochet and that'd be like a video if she was sitting beside you or you were looking over her shoulder. If that wasn't helpful then perhaps your learning style is not visual. Tactile is another style of learning that does well with manipulations or using your hands (my DW is a teacher of exceptional children) but I don't claim to know all the learning styles.

Videos:

NexStitch (http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html) has videos of traditional crochet and also Tunisian crochet (commonly call Afghan stitch).
Woolcrafting (http://www.woolcrafting.com/crochet-stitches.html) has written instructions with pictures of the basic crochet stitches.
Crochet 911 (http://www.crochet911.com/) may be helpful with more general information, instructions, and pictures.

Good luck. Crossed Fingers

And seriously, try using a rope or cord and just your fingers to start with a slip knot and make a chain. If your learning style is tactile, feeling the rope or cord weave around itself should help.

missibob
01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Knittenchick, I have the exact same problem. As a matter of fact though, when my girls were little I did crochet a poncho for each of them, at a class at my Church. I have forgotten how over the years. My problem is I can do a chain, but I don't know how to turn to go back on the next row. I am definitely going to watch the video mentioned, and hopefully I can pick it up again.

robkat317
01-12-2009, 04:28 PM
:aww:

[The] bigest difference, I think, is that you need to know two things before each new stitch: First is the type of stitch, and Second is where [what stitch] to [work into].

I completely agree.......having attempted to teach a knitter how to crochet, I didn't really know how to explain this to them. This makes complete sense.

miraclebaby50
01-17-2009, 05:54 PM
man, you are a poet . I like both But right I am a better crocheter than a knitter(been doing it longer) since I was a kid. My mother and grandmother both crocheted.

miraclebaby50
01-17-2009, 06:01 PM
to Jack again I just learned how to continential knitting with the videos on this site. It is great !!! It uses the" crochet" way of hplding the yarn and moving the hands.

biztec
01-18-2009, 09:45 AM

Thank you!
The "Dummies" books are good as well. In addition to afghans, crochet lace, and embellishments, knowing how to crochet is also helpful while knitting to pick up dropped stitches, do a neat bind off, add stitches with a cable cast on, etc. I agree with other posters that if you learn how to knit using the English (throw) method, it will be more difficult to switch hands to crochet. I learned to crochet first and made a smooth transition to knitting using the Continental (pick) method. I've also noticed on many knitting TV shows that when demonstrating techniques, the majority of the knitters also use the Continental method. Now that I've learned both, I switch back and forth between knitting and crocheting projects to give my thumb a rest as it gets sore doing alot of crochet, but calms down when I'm knitting.

knitpurlgurl
01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
:hair: I'm having the same issue.. I have successfully crocheted a sc washcloth and a scarf also in sc. Other than that, I can watch the videos over and over and I do okay practicing the different stitches. But when it comes time to read a pattern, I'm so lost. I can't seem to put it all together. I was so excited about learning crochet because I LOVE knitting so much. I'm beginning to wonder if I will fall victim to the saying, "There are knitters and there are crocheters." I even took a beginning crochet class at my LYS and all they taught us to do was to read the pattern they gave us and make a sc washcloth. Although watching the technique was really helpful, again - beyond "chain 30, sc in every stitch until desired length," I'm lost! :waah:

OffJumpsJack
01-22-2009, 10:58 AM
:hair: I'm having the same issue.. I have successfully crocheted a sc washcloth and a scarf also in sc. Other than that, I can watch the videos over and over and I do okay practicing the different stitches. But when it comes time to read a pattern, I'm so lost. I can't seem to put it all together. I'm lost! :waah:

Yes, the way crochet patterns are written are different than the way knitting patterns are written. I know this because when I first tried a few knitting patterns I couldn't decode them. I was full of questions. I knew the K was knit and the P was purl, but "K2, P2" what is that in long hand language and what does it mean with yarn, needles, and hand movements!

Now, I think I could say I can read decode two cryptographic codes, one is crochet patterns and the other is knitting patterns. If you ask me, "how are they different?" I would have trouble putting it in word, but I think it is based on crochet having to tell you where to work the next stitch as well as what stitch to work.

I think I'll try some tranlations...
(crochet on the left <==> knitting on the right.)

slip stitch <==> pass loop on hook over loop pull up from/through (old) stitch being worked. It is also like a duplicate stitch (based on appearances, I have not worked/knitted the duplicate stitch).
yarn over <==> wrap around hook before you start a stitch or to make a loop to pull through stitch or one or more loops on hook. (Not an increase as it is in knit.
single crochet <==> pulling a yo through two or more loops (not a decrease as it would seem to knitters, because there are multiple loops in a single stitch, in fact you use YO's to add loops to increase the height(tallness?) of a stitch.
two points: each stitch has two points of contact with your work, first is loop on the hook connected to the last stitch worked and the second is what previously completed stitch (or chain space) you will put the hook through to connect the bottom of the (new) stitch.
three parts: each stitch has three parts, they are 1) setup, 0 or more YOs to determin stitch size/height; 2) connetion, where and how to put the hook through another stitch in your work to connect the base of the stitch; 3) pull working yarn loop through other loop(s) until one left on hook, base is "yo and pull through two loops" (SC) all others are a variation or repetition of this pattern.

I guess the easiest way to learn how to read a pattern is to ask a crocheter what the pattern means.

That's how I learned what the knitting pattern notations meant.

P.S. Here is a link (http://crochetme.com/lucid-and-lunatic) to crochet patterns for two different matching hat and scarf sets. The patterns are mostly written out in long hand.

--Jack

P.P.S. There is a prolifferation of Crochet tutorials on YouTube by Teresa Richardson, blog by Teresa Richardson (http://crochet-mania-tips.blogspot.com/) and here is one for Making Sense of Written Instructions (http://crochet-mania-tips.blogspot.com/2009/01/making-sense-of-written-instructions.html) that may help.

--Me.

themonkeygirl
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Knitting is the same:

Crochet.

...this is the scarf that never ends, it just goes on and on my friend, some fellow started knitting it not knowing what it was, and now he keeps on knitting it forever just because... ;)

This makes me want to jump from desk here at work and run out the door to go and try crochet again! I'm just like the original poster, knitting came quite easily to me and I am completely spastic when I try to crochet. I vow to try again this evening! I want to ge able to do it so badly!

themonkeygirl
01-26-2009, 02:51 PM
My problem is I can do a chain, but I don't know how to turn to go back on the next row. I am definitely going to watch the video mentioned, and hopefully I can pick it up again.

This is the problem I have. I can make the starting chain and then begin going down the chain to proceed with the single crochet, but after I do the first one, I cannot recognize where to put the needle next. I know this sounds completely stupid.

Marria
01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
You know, I've heard knitting is harder than crochet too. I learned to crochet first, but learned knitting not long after, and I don't think one is really harder than the other. They both have techniques I have struggled with. They're just different. And I like to use them for different things. I prefer knitting for garments and crochet for afghans.

I will say though, that I can knit and purl without looking at my hands. I still can't do that with crochet.

cgd
01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
I have the opposite problem--crochet is so much easier for me. Knitting was so much harder to learn, and I still don't feel as competent at it as I do at crochet. If I mess up in crochet, I can frog it and fix it one stitch at a time. If I drop stitches in knitting, heaven help me trying to fix it!

It's hard to add to the advice above, but I'll say this: Like anything, practice is important, and you will get better. Start with dishcloths or coaster. Do a single-crochet cloth or coaster or placemat, it doesn't matter, just do something square or rectangular. Do one in another color. Do them til you know you have the same number of stitches in each row and your rows aren't growing or shrinking. Really get the feel of it. Then learn the double crochet stitch via dishrags/coasters/whatever, then the half-double. Then pick a simple pattern and make a baby blanket or scarf. I use stitch guides for inspiration.

Walk before you run.

As for books, there are many good ones, including Crochet for Dummies and SnB. There are also many demo videos on YouTube. I keep a copy of the small-but-information-packed The Crochet Answer Book in my craft bag. It really does answer most any question I have.

Have you been to www.crochetville.org? It's a great crochet site, the best IMO.

You can do this, you will do this! Good luck.

mathwizard
01-29-2009, 09:17 AM
I love doing both! I do find that sometimes the language for either can trip me up. Some writers of patterns I think get paid for the word as I don't always see why it is repeated and then they put ** around it to repeat it again. Make it simple to read has always been my complaint.:cheering:

biztec
02-01-2009, 06:14 PM
This is the problem I have. I can make the starting chain and then begin going down the chain to proceed with the single crochet, but after I do the first one, I cannot recognize where to put the needle next. I know this sounds completely stupid.
If you look at the top of each stitch, you'll see a "vee" shape, similar to knitting only running horizontally instead of vertically. Just insert your hook below and pull up your loop. Some of the more complex stitches require you to insert your hook in different places, but once you master the basic single, double, half double and treble, you're set to go. Also, use a bulkier yarn and larger hook while learning and be sure your tension is loose enough so that you can see where to put the hook. It's so much fun to be able to do both knitting and crocheting!

themonkeygirl
02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
If you look at the top of each stitch, you'll see a "vee" shape, similar to knitting only running horizontally instead of vertically. Just insert your hook below and pull up your loop. Some of the more complex stitches require you to insert your hook in different places, but once you master the basic single, double, half double and treble, you're set to go. Also, use a bulkier yarn and larger hook while learning and be sure your tension is loose enough so that you can see where to put the hook. It's so much fun to be able to do both knitting and crocheting!

I'm doing better but I still have difficulty getting my stitches to be a consistent size. Any tips on this?

Mike
02-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm doing better but I still have difficulty getting my stitches to be a consistent size. Any tips on this?
Make sure you're wrapping them around the part of the hook that is a consistent size.
Don't wrap around the flare for the finger/thumb grip and don't wrap in the throat of the hook.

Other than that it's practice getting your tension steady. I found almost having no tension is what got me crocheting correctly.

OffJumpsJack
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM

How do you hold your yarn? As a crocheter learning to knit, I found the knitting style shown here on KH videos (wrapping the pinky then behind the other three fingers was making my knitting too tight.

I reverted to my crochet style of weaving the working yarn over (behind) my index, under (in front) my middle, over (behind) ring, and under (in front) of pinky was better as I had already learned to hold the yarn loosely in this way. Index finger extended and pinky loose while holding work with thumb, middle, and ring fingers. Using this method you keep the pinky slightly extended for a looser stitch.

To take up slack and tightens the loop on the hook, you squeeze the pinky and extend the index finger. To get more slack in the working yarn, extend your pinky then extend your index finger. If my stitches use more yarn (like DC or Tr) I also have to pull my hand closer to me and farther away from the skein.

Finnal thought is for hooks like the Boye style with a more tapered head/hook you will need to always push the hook through the loop until it is on the full sized shaft. Susan Bates hooks don't have this tapered shape.

HTH.

--Jack

biztec
02-03-2009, 05:12 PM
If they are too loose, add another wrap to your yarn. I go over and under two fingers of my left hand. If they are too tight, try a different, looser wrap. I've found that I need more tension on my yarn with knitting than I do with crochet. Other than that, just practice, practice, practice. After so many years of practice I can crochet an entire afghan now with exactly the same gauge from beginning to end. You will, too, you'll see!!

Marria
02-03-2009, 09:02 PM
I love doing both! I do find that sometimes the language for either can trip me up. Some writers of patterns I think get paid for the word as I don't always see why it is repeated and then they put ** around it to repeat it again. Make it simple to read has always been my complaint.:cheering:

I think it has more to do with 'real estate' than anything else, especially in magazines. If they wrote out every word, the pattern would be much too long to fit in a book or magazine.

DeelishDiscordia
02-03-2009, 09:27 PM
What a gorgeous ode to crochet!

I must say, though, that I actually prefer knitting to crochet....and I have been crocheting since I was 10 years old (I just learned how to knit a year ago!) and have made many memorable things with crochet.

Being used to two (or more! I am learning how to make socks right now) needles, it just feels kinda weird going back to one hook. And I just want to say, the only crochet stictches I really enjoyed were the afgan stitch and the pineapple stich :)

Plus, the needles come in hady as a weapon when I am coming home late on the train ;)

themonkeygirl
02-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Knitting for me is just so much more natural, maybe because I don't have to hold the yarn at all. I look completely spastic when I'm trying to crochet. Maybe I should just go ahead and grab a project and see what happens.

OffJumpsJack
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
I guess my point was that Crochet is different and one shouldn't expect to be able to crochet just because one is a very good knitter.

It is okay if you have difficulty, just be patient, practice, and ask for specific help when you kneed it. Pick up some easy knitting to wash away frustration. Then see if you or a crocheter can identify what is causing you trouble and offer a way through (different method, clearer example, or step-by-step instruction).

Remember to swatch! One of the best thing you get from a swatch is practice on the stitch, pattern, or method (well, other than a FO that actually fits and looks like it should). ;)

Start out with easy projects like pot holders, dish clothes, scarves, and hats. Use these "swatch like" projects to learn new stitches. After awhile you'll be making doilies and table clothes, blankets and sweaters, orhat ever you like.

--Jack