01-07-2009, 07:58 AM
:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

yarncharmer
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Hi Joknit,
I'm in Bloomington. :)

mork75
01-07-2009, 05:04 PM
What small town? I'm from Valparaiso, but live in Illinois now. I do from time to time come to visit mom and dad.

Indygirl
01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Hello, I'm in Bloomington also. We now have two nice LYS here :woohoo:

yarncharmer
01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Indygirl! Yes, we do have two nice LYS here! Have you taken classes at either of them? I just learned to knit this fall, at a class through Parks and Rec. It was a great class. I had tried, and failed, to teach myself to knit from books before. I'm trying to teach myself how to knit a sock at the moment, and had heard good things about some of the sock classes at Yarns Unlimited.

It's fun to find someone else in Bloomington :happydance:

Indygirl
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi Yarncharmer, Yes I have taken classes at yarns Unlimited. I made my first pair of socks at that shop :-) I go to both shops often.
I'm not knitting at this time, health reasons. Hopefully I will be going back soon. I have been going to an open knit class on thur.night at 'In A Yarn Basket' They will help you with whatever you are knitting. It's great people and great fun. I have gone to Mon. night open classes at 'Yarns Unlimited' great fun also.
Not sure just when I will be going back, you should give it a try sometime.

yarncharmer
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
They are really nice in In a Yarn Basket - I bought some needles there recently, and the woman said to come in anytime if I had trouble with the sweater I'm working on, even though I didn't get the yarn there. I'm working on the Kyoto Pullover from Knitty; I was getting bored with all that double moss stitch, and thought a sock would be an interesting diversion, but it's just frustrating. I was trying to do the 'class sock' from the sensational socks book. I don't know if it's because the sock is so small, but I feel kind of Edward Scissorhands-y with all those dpns poking everywhere. Maybe I need to try a normal sized sock, or get some circular needles, or something.

I hope your health problems are resolved soon; be sure to let me know if you go to the Monday or Thursday knit night - it would be fun to meet you.

Indygirl
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
They are really nice in In a Yarn Basket - I bought some needles there recently, and the woman said to come in anytime if I had trouble with the sweater I'm working on, even though I didn't get the yarn there. I'm working on the Kyoto Pullover from Knitty; I was getting bored with all that double moss stitch, and thought a sock would be an interesting diversion, but it's just frustrating. I was trying to do the 'class sock' from the sensational socks book. I don't know if it's because the sock is so small, but I feel kind of Edward Scissorhands-y with all those dpns poking everywhere. Maybe I need to try a normal sized sock, or get some circular needles, or something.

I hope your health problems are resolved soon; be sure to let me know if you go to the Monday or Thursday knit night - it would be fun to meet you. Yes it would be fun to meet. I will let you know the next time I go. We have a lot of sock knitter's in the group. I love socks. I have enough sock yarn to last me the rest of my life if I live 50 more years :teehee:
I will P.m. you when I get to go next.
Happy knitting

yarncharmer
01-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Well, I'm hoping I can get the sock thing down. I've already got yarn for 6 pairs of socks, and I haven't even made a single sock in my life. What's wrong with me? :aww: Let me know when you plan to go again...

And Joknit, where did you go? Are you anywhere near Bloomington? Hope you find some local knitters....

Loopie
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Hi. I'm also in Bloomington.

There is supposed to me a sock knitting group meeting at Barnes & Noble once a month. Have you heard anything about that? I have also heard about another knitting group that also meets at Barnes & Noble on a different day. Keep thinking about dropping by during one of their sessions to check them out.

Very happy to have a second yarn store in town. In A Yarn Basket is a great shop. Good selection and nice staff.

Indygirl
01-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Loopie, Did you go to the charity knitting get together on Monday at 'Yarns Unlimited'? They had a great turn out. It was out in the middle of the downtown mall. I will be going to the thur. night knitting at 'In A Yarn Basket' this week. I don't knit much, but I enjoy spending time with other knitters. I have started to knit just a little now. I have had a medical problem that has kept me from knitting for a while now.
I don't know anything about the sock group at Barns & Noble. If I knew when they met I might stop by and check that out too.

yarncharmer
01-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Hiya Loopie! I know there is a group that meets at Barnes and Noble one Tuesday night a month. I think it's the 3rd Tuesday, but I'm not sure-- There's also a group that meets at the Bakehouse (East 3rd St) on Sundays from 2 to 4. I've never been to either, but I keep meaning to try to get to the Sunday one. And I thought that In A Yarn Basket also has a lunchtime knitchat one afternoon a week, but I just went to look at their website and can't find that now, so maybe it's been discontinued, or maybe I dreamed the whole thing up.

It's fun to 'see' another Bloomington knitter!

yarncharmer
01-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Indygirl and Loopie, It looks like the Barnes and Noble group meets the last Tuesday of every month at 7:30 and there is also a group that meets at the Monroe Co. Public Library every Tuesday at the lunch hour near the North/Back wall. hmmm... so many possibilities!

I can't plan to be able to go to the Thursday nite group at IAYB, (as in I probably wouldn't know if I could go to that one or not until the last minute) but could potentially go to the Tues night one at B&N, but I couldn't get there until 8ish. I could also go to the lunch one at the library; maybe we could all plan to go to one and meet sometime....

Indygirl
01-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Yarncharmer, Any of those sounds good to me. I am not working at all now. I can do about any of it. I do go to the IAYB on thur.night some, not every week. I did the charity knitting at yarns unlimited this past monday. Let me know where and when & I'll try to make it.

Loopie
01-23-2009, 12:53 AM
I didn't know about the charity knitting event, Indygirl. I might have considered going had I known.

The Barnes & Noble site shows the next sock night on Feb. 9. at 7.

Just saw that Michaels has sock yarn on sale this week. I'll have to go check it out tomorrow or Saturday if I get a chance.

Loopie
01-23-2009, 12:55 AM
I wasn't aware of the group meeting at the library, yarncharmer. That is something that I could more easily get to than the evening groups (at least during the school year). I'm going to try and get there on Tuesday and take a peek.

Gertie
01-23-2009, 02:24 AM
I was trying to do the 'class sock' from the sensational socks book.

I like the SKS book. It's how I learned. I urge you to check out their errata page:

http://www.martingale-pub.com/store/pages.php?pID=56&CDpath=2

The amount of errors are alarming, but still I like the book. Hopefully your edition will have many of the corrections made.

BTW - I'm down in Evansville.

Have fun.

yarncharmer
01-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Indygirl and Loopie, I think I'll try to go to the library one next Tue,too. And since next Tues is the last one of the month, I may try to get to the B & N one, also, though I won't be there until 8 or so.

Gertie, I will have to look at that errata page more closely. There are an astounding # of errors, but I guess if you just take it one pattern at a time it's not so bad, hopefully. I grew up in Vincennes, and Evansville was the place to go when I was in high school-- the mall, and Godfather's pizza after basketball games... good times! Are there any good yarn shops in E'ville?

Gertie
01-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Oh yes. We have:

KnitWitts Yarn Shoppe http://www.knitwittsyarnshoppe.com/

Four Ladies Needle Art http://www.fourladiesneedleart.com/
(The four ladies aren't the owners. They're the young daughters.)

In Newburgh, The Village Knitter http://www.thevillageknitter.com/index.htm

Across the river in Henderson, Yarn Along http://www.yarnalong.com/
I've not been to Yarn Along. I hope to this weekend.

I've been to the others. They're good.

Our son is going to Vincennes Univ. Comes home on weekends.

Loopie
01-24-2009, 11:03 PM
I finally made my way to Michael's today and the sale items I was interested in were slim pickings. I couldn' t find any of the sock yarn and there were a lot of empty shelves. That will teach me to not wait until the last day of a sale in the future!

Indygirl
01-24-2009, 11:10 PM
I finally made my way to Michael's today and the sale items I was interested in were slim pickings. I couldn' t find any of the sock yarn and there were a lot of empty shelves. That will teach me to not wait until the last day of a sale in the future!
Loopie, I haven't been to Michael's in a very long time. I can't stay out of the yarn shops long enough.. Tee Hee

yarncharmer
01-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Gertie, I'll have to check out some of those shops next time I'm in Vincennes for a few days. I can bring my mom along -- she's a crocheter, so it should be fun for her too. That's cool that your son goes to VU -- small world.

Indygirl and Loopie, I will definitely go to the library this Tuesday. I'm not sure about the Tuesday night at this point -- seems like something always comes up, but I may stand my ground and say I'm going anyway -- it only happens once a month, after all, and I usually think of it right after it's happened, and then have to wait for a whole new month to roll around...

ETA: I haven't been in Michael's since they were cleared out at their post-holiday sale. I wonder if they have a lot of new stuff in stock - sounds like they were pretty picked over for you, Loopie. I did get some sock yarn there around Thanksgiving - enough for 5 pairs - and I have yet to complete a single sock... what can I say? it was a good deal....

Indygirl
01-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Loopie, I will look for you at the library on tue. at lunch time. I'm going to 'Yarns Unlimited' tomorrow just to knit for a while around lunch time also. :X:

Loopie
01-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm going to do my best to go to the library on Tuesday. I would very much like to check out the sock group in the evening, but I doubt I will be able.

I used to knit socks top-down, but recently started to knit them toe-up. I decided that I prefer the latter. Now I have to work on fit. I have made 3 or 4 single socks over the last week or two and pulled each of them apart because I wasn't satisfied. I'm taking a break from that at the moment to knit some quick gloves and hats. At least those are being completed!

Hope to meet you both on Tuesday.

Indygirl
01-25-2009, 10:24 PM
I have been trying to knit some. My arm's and shoulder's still hurt a lot when I knit. I'm just getting use to the pain I guess. I can't knit for very long of time. I have to knit for about 1/2 hr. then rest my arms for a while. I haven't knit for more than 2 hr's a day since my problem occurred. I just started back knitting about a week ago.
I still want to join the other knitters and maybe help out if I'm needed. I will see one or both of you tue.

Indygirl
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
I hope we don't get the snow they are talking about tomorrow.
I just live about 3 miles from the library. If it doesn't get to bad out, I can still go tomorrow.

yarncharmer
01-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I was just looking at the weather channel online for Bloomington - supposedly we're going to get a lot of snow-- which I would like in a way, since we haven't had much yet this winter. But I'll be a little bummed if it keeps me home all day tomorrow. Indygirl, did you go to Yarns Unlmtd today and knit? Do people just go there and knit at lunchtime? I've only been in that shop once, and there wasn't anyone there at the time, but it was midafternoon. If we get snowed out (or snowed in) tomorrow, there's always next week....

Loopie
01-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Count me out tomorrow if there is a significant amount of snow. I was just outside a few minutes ago and the most recent stuff coming down is not the light and fluffy snow like we had last night. This new snow is heavier and wetter. Does not bode well. Haven't had the snow blower out yet this year but I have a feeling I'll be making use of it tomorrow.

Just bound off a hat. Good time to start another project.

yarncharmer
01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Loopie, heavier and wetter as in good snow man snow? That'd be good :thumbsup:

Loopie
01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
It would certainly be good for the area kids, yarncharmer. They have been shortchanged (shortsnowed?) so far this year. Have to admit I miss it myself!

yarncharmer
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I'll be staying home this morning ladies. The library isn't even going to open today until 11:00, and I'm guessing there won't be many people there. I may still try to go to Barnes and Noble tonight, depending on what the storms do this afternoon. B & N is pretty close to my house. And, the potential conflict for tonight has already been cancelled. Now, I'm off to knit a while before I get persuaded to go out and play

Indygirl
01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't think I want to try getting out in this either. I will opt for next time. I love looking at it from inside :wink:

Loopie
01-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Snow day...hoorah!!! As many years as it has been, I still get excited when school is canceled. Wish my snow blower started for me though. It's a good evening to spend some time working out a pattern on some graph paper. Will plan to go to the library next Tuesday.

yarncharmer
01-27-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm always happy when school gets cancelled, too.... and I loved waking up this morning to peek out the window and see all that lovely white. Of course, I ventured out late this afternoon and the sleet/freezing rain started, and now I can't get my car up the driveway But it's all worth it. I was starting to worry we weren't going to get any snow this winter at all. I think it's too bad tonight to make it to B & N, after all... Hopefully next Tuesday at the library will work out. Stay warm!!

Loopie
01-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Yarncharmer, I also have a steep driveway. I cleared it all off this afternoon just as the tiny pellets started to come down. Didn't want to face clearing frozen on top of what had fallen last night. I have had luck using kitty litter for traction on those days that the tires need some help. I also was starting to think we wouldn't get any "real" snowfall this year. I missed it even though I enjoy it most looking out the window.

Indygirl
01-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Was going to try sleeping in. Dogs woke me at 5:am to go out. I opened the door, :sad: more snow. I have a Dr. appointment at 2: this afternoon. I hope we can get out. Who knows, the Dr. might not even be able to get to his office.

yarncharmer
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
I was so happy when I saw all the snow coming down this morning! Makes me feel like a kid. Indygirl, you probably should check with your doctors office. They may not be open -- even IU is closed until noon, and they never close. Please be careful if you do go out.

Loopie, I'm glad you mentioned the cat litter. I used to always carry that with me, years ago, and for some reason I had completely forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Indygirl
01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks Yarncharmer, I was going to call and change my appointment. They are over by the mall. I live out by 'Ivy Tech'. Don't think I want to be out in this.
My poor little Yorkies don't know what to do. The snow is taller than they are :teehee: We have been hold up on the soffa all morning together.
The phone just rang, Dr. office colsed today.
If my arms felt like it I would just knit all day :verysad: . Have a great day & we will get together next week maybe.

yarncharmer
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
IU just announced that they will be closed all day because the roads are in such bad shape. I'm glad your appointment is rescheduled. I bet your little dogs are glad they get to stay snuggled in with you today. Hope your arms are feeling a little better every day. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

Enjoy your snow day!

Loopie
01-28-2009, 08:56 PM
MCCSC is closed again tomorrow. I'm sure that made a lot of kids happy.

My southside street was cleaned off well. A friend was out earlier today and said the main roads were in good shape. Still, I was glad I didn't have to go anywhere today. Hope your neighborhood roads are clear.

Indygirl, I also have a short legged dog. There is a big drift right outside the back door and he looks like he is climbing a mountain when he goes over it. Sorry your arms are giving you trouble. Hope it is a condition that will be improving.

I cast on a capelet last night and nearly completed two rows before I realized I twisted the join. Hate when that happens. Time to unravel and begin again.

yarncharmer
02-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I just remembered it's Tuesday, which means (maybe) knitting at the library! I'm going to try to go, although I don't know if either of you, or anyone else will be out in the fresh accumulation of snow we just got this morning. I had to get out and drive in that at about 8 this morning, and it was not pretty! But I've seen the plows going by so maybe it's better by now.

yarncharmer
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I went to the library today, and at first didn't find anyone, but then was told that they knit in the VITAL program room - and I found them :cheering: Actually, it sounds like the group hadn't been meeting for awhile and is just getting started again, and everyone there was library staff, but they were happy to have others there, too. They said in the past there were community people who attended. Hopefully you two can make it sometime... One of them had a question, and I told them about the tutorials and forum here - maybe they'll be joining us.

Loopie
02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I intended to go to the library today, yarncharmer. Made sure I started a new sock last night so I would have something to work on. The snow changed my mind. Decided I had to get the driveway and sidewalk cleared instead. :sad: It did look pretty though this morning. Not so much when I was working that shovel though! Hopefully the weather will be better next Tuesday. The third try might me the charm.

By the way, is the meeting room on the lowest level?

yarncharmer
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Loopie,
The meeting room is on the adult level - which is upstairs, level with the parking lot on 6th street. It's right behind where they shelf the new arrival books. There's a big sign that says VITAL Program Room 2A, and you walk back into an area with a lot of small tutoring rooms, and the meeting room was on the very back wall, turn left and the room is on the right.

Hope to see you there next week! I think it goes from noon to 1:30, at least that's what they did today.

Indygirl
02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Well, I will try this again. I posted and it didn't take.
Anyway, the snow helped me make up my mind to not go today.
Did you say they are knitting sock's only?
I will try to come next week.

yarncharmer
02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Indygirl,
No, they aren't knitting just socks. Someone was doing a scarf, someone was crocheting, and there were a couple of brand new knitters. I still want to learn socks. I started on the tropical punch socks, but then put them down to work on my sweater some more - decided it needed to be more of a priority. I'd really like to go to the Thurs nite at IAYB, but it's so iffy if I can make it there or not. Most of the time, I couldn't but maybe once in a blue moon, I'll be able to.

ETA: I think the sock group meets at Barnes and Noble - not the one that is the last Tuesday of the month, but at another time. Seems like it might be coming up on Feb 9th maybe?

Gertie
02-03-2009, 10:50 PM
This came from my cousin in Alabama (raised in Kentucky)

--- BLESSED INDIANA

On the sixth day God turned to the Archangel Gabriel and said:
"Today, I am going to create a land called Indiana .

It will be a land of outstanding natural beauty; a land of beautiful lakes full of fish. It shall have tall trees, flowing rivers, landscapes full of flowers, tall grass, beautiful blue skies, majestic eagles, forests full of many kinds of wildlife, rich farmland, wonderful people and they will be great at basketball," God continued, "and I will give them a top football team that they will enjoy.

"I shall make the land rich in resources so as to make the inhabitants prosper and they shall be known as friendly people who practice being 'Hoosier Nice' every day."

"But Lord," asked Gabriel, "don't you think you are being too generous to these Hoosiers?"

"Not really," replied God "just wait and see the winters I am going to give them."

- - - - - - - - - - -

After 5-1/2 days w/o power, we got ours back yesterday. Wasn't bad tho. DH has a generator that we ran in the garage (not attached to the house). We had heat & could run 1 appliance. Glad we don't have winters like this every year!

You all take care up there.

Indygirl
02-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Gretie, Thanks, That was 'Right On' but I do love Indiana, my home State.

Gertie
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I do love Indiana, my home State.

Oh yeah! :heart:

yarncharmer
02-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Gertie,
I loved your story!

I'm glad your power is back on; hopefully you didn't get too cold. My aunt lives in Evansville and her power was out for 2 days--sorry to hear yours was out for so long! It's been quite a winter so far, hasn't it?

Gertie
02-05-2009, 01:16 AM
It's been quite a winter so far, hasn't it?

Yup, it has. With the generator giving some power we did fine. Much better than many others.

It's OK. We're tough. Uh, at least when the generator's running. :teehee:

I hope you ladies get to meet each other face to face soon.

Indygirl
02-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Gertie, I hope so too. It would be nice if you lived closer and could join us. Maybe some time we could all meet at a central point. Anyone up for this kind of a get together?

yarncharmer
02-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Sure, I'd be up for that, Indygirl! It sounds like fun. Vincennes is more or less a mid-way point, although there sure aren't any yarn shops there. Hey, maybe we could go to Gertie's son's dorm room, or my mom's house - I'm sure they'd be up for that :rofl:

Isn't there a big yarn event coming up in April? I think it might be in Franklin, outside of Indy? It's not a central location, but maybe we could pull in some more people in this area and all meet there. How far is it from Evansville to Indy, Gertie?

I'm always happy to have a party... :woot:

Gertie
02-05-2009, 09:58 PM
>Hey, maybe we could go to Gertie's son's dorm room<

Sure! :thumbsup:

>How far is it from Evansville to Indy, Gertie?<

3-1/2 to 3-3/4 hrs. 4 if Terre Haute is slow.

>I'm always happy to have a party... <

Oh. I need a party!!

Indygirl
02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Sounds like we have a party going on soon :woohoo: :woohoo:
I'm retired, so I could go whenever. Some of us from Bloomington might want to car pool. That might not work out for some but whatever. This sounds like fun to me. I have just started getting back into knitting. My arms are getting better each day now. :happydance:

Gertie
02-06-2009, 12:57 AM
My arms are getting better each day now.

Good for you! :yay:

Loopie
02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Going to try my best to get to the library tomorrow. :Crossed Fingers:

yarncharmer
02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
It looks like I'll be there too! see you there!

yarncharmer
02-10-2009, 07:13 PM
It was really nice finally getting to meet you today, Indygirl! I love the scarf you're working on, and all your socks!! It was nice meeting your friend too. And it was great getting to check out the different knitpicks needles! Both the Harmonies and Options are really nice - it'll be hard to choose, but I'm glad I've gotten to see them in person.

Loopie, I hope you'll be able to make it sometime soon. There is a charity knit tomorrow night at YU at 6:30, to benefit the feral cat group that does spay/neuter and release. They will be teaching how to make various cat toys. I was thinking I'd be able to go, but now I'm not sure. It's at 6:30 and my daughter needs to be picked up from an activity at 7:00 - I guess I could just stop in for a little while, although that really wouldn't be enough time to do anything.

Gertie, I'm still up for a get-together party. Is there any other mid-way point besides Vincennes that might be good? Or would Vincennes be a good place to go? Once it warms up a little I think we should plan something. Of course, I'd be fine with going all the way to Evansville - 4 LYSs - imagine!! :cool:

Hope everyone had a chance to get outside and enjoy the lovely weather today.

Loopie
02-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I really wanted to go today, but I woke up feeling not so great so I decided it best to stay home and keep whatever it might be to myself. Hopefully next week.

I love my set of Options. They have nice sharp points that work best for my tendency to knit tightly.

Was there a good size group there today? Disappointed I wasn't able to join in.

yarncharmer
02-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi Loopie, Hope you're feeling better today! It was Indygirl and friend, me, and 4 library employees. It's a pleasant group to knit with! I think last week there were a couple more people from the library there.

Gertie
02-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Gertie, I'm still up for a get-together party. Is there any other mid-way point besides Vincennes that might be good?
I dunno. What's in Washington? I did a search & got nothing.

Or would Vincennes be a good place to go?
OK with me, but where in Vincennes? I did a search. No good results.

Once it warms up a little I think we should plan something.
I don't mind cold.

Of course, I'd be fine with going all the way to Evansville - 4 LYSs - imagine!!
I'm still wanting to check out Yarn Around in Henderson, KY.

Hope everyone had a chance to get outside and enjoy the lovely weather today.
Loved it!

Loopie
02-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks, yarncharmer, I am feeling better and happy about that considering that the novovirus is going around our area. I plan to be at the library next week.

yarncharmer
02-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Gertie--
Yep, I doubt there is anything in Washington.

Vincennes? There's nothing there either.

I wouldn't mind going all the way to Evansville/Henderson. Is Henderson right across the bridge from E'Ville? I can never remember.

Loopie-- I haven't even heard of that virus, but it sounds bad :ick:
I'm glad you're feeling better today.

Where are you Indygirl? Hope you made it back from Indy ok!

Indygirl
02-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi Yarncharmer, Sorry I haven't been on for a few days. While I was up in Indy tue. night I got very sick, something connected with this arm and shoulder thing I think. I got very hot and my blood pressure went sky-high. Kathy, the lady I was with got very concerned about me, I guess I didn't look so good.I come home and tried to rest, no luck. I called the Dr.very early next morning. My daughter took me to see him at 9:00am. They did more test, blood work and x-rays of my head and neck. I'm still not good. Need to wait for the test. He did have me to take my atenolol twice a day for now.That is helping some.
Also, the storm crashed my computer screen. I just went down to Office Depot and got me a cheepie $129.00. I brought it home and actually figured out how to hook it up myself :woot:I shocked myself with that one :wink:
If this all sounds kinda fuzzy, it's because I have so much pressure in my head, I'm fuzzy in the head right now, sorry.

yarncharmer
02-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Awww, Indygirl, I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. :hug: I'm glad your daughter is nearby to help you out. I hope your doctor is able to figure all this out really soon, and you get back to being healthy. Congrats on hooking up your new screen! :yay: I don't think I've ever done that, and don't know if I could!

Feel Better!

Gertie
02-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Is Henderson right across the bridge from E'Ville?

Yup. Just stay on US41 South. You'll cross the Ohio River & go into a commerce area. Stay in the right hand lane & take the (must) exit. That'll take you right onto Hwy 60/Green St. Yarn Along is on the right. They're only open on Thursday's now, 11a - 7p. I called them yesterday. She said that they're in an old pool supply store. Between Advanced Auto & Captain D's. I was hoping to go there tomorrow. Guess I won't. :sad:

Loopie
02-14-2009, 03:20 AM
Loopie-- I haven't even heard of that virus, but it sounds bad :ick:

Yarncharmer, I'm not surprised. I made a typo. It should have read the norovirus. It's a gastro-intestinal virus and there was an article in the local paper the other day stating that there have been several cases of it in town.

Indygirl, hope you are feeling better than you were the other day.

Indygirl
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Indiana girls. My head is very fuzzy at this time. I did send a few P.M.'s this morning. Not sure just how my brain was working at that time ;-)

Loopie
02-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Another Monday and another intention to go the the library tomorrow.
Hope to meet you there!

Also hope you are feeling better, Indygirl.

yarncharmer
02-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Roads clear and free of snow - check
School in session and on time - check
Air in all 4 tires - check

Unless something weird happens, I'll be there today! Hope to see you Loopie and Indygirl!

Indygirl
02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi yarncharmer and Loopie. I won't be going to the library today. I'm on a medicine that I can't drive while taking. It's only for a week I think. I do feel a little better this morning, so maybe it's going to help. You girls have fun and maybe I'll be able to join you next week.

yarncharmer
02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Sorry you weren't able to make it today, Indygirl; but it's good that you're feeling better. I hope this medicine does the trick, and you're able to join us next week. I just found out that my husband doesn't have his class this Thursday night so I might try to go to IAYB for their knit night. Will you be able to drive by then?

Loopie, it was nice meeting you today. Your sock was really nice. Did you try it on yet? I probably would have gone right out to my car and put it on :rofl:

Have a good week everyone!

Loopie
02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Indygirl, good luck with the new medication.

Yarncharmer, it was nice to meet you too. Believe it or not, I still haven't tried that sock on. I think I'm just afraid to discover that I might have bound it off too tightly. I want to start knitting in a few minutes though so I'll have to try it on before starting the mate. Hope you're having good luck with the class piece you were working on.

Hope to see you both next Tuesday.

Indygirl
02-18-2009, 01:04 PM
The new med's are helping.:) I will be on this medication for a while. I think I might try to go to IAYB tomorrow night. If I don't see either of you there. I will try to be at the library next week.

yarncharmer
02-18-2009, 04:37 PM
:yay: Indygirl! I'm so glad the new med is helping!! :woohoo:

QweenieBee
02-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I live in NW Indiana. I JUST joined the forum, but I really, really, want to be a better knitter. So far I have knitted scarfs in regular ole knit stitch.

I am not working, I am a SAHM now, so I should have more free time. I just get so discouraged when I don't understand the instructions or abbreviations or can't follow the pictures...:waah: :passedout:

But there are so many awesome and beautiful things I want to knit! :inlove:

Indygirl
02-21-2009, 09:57 AM
QweenieBee, Welcom to KH. & welcome to this thread. What is NW & where is it?

Gertie
02-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi, QweenieBee! :waving: Welcome to the forum.

There's lots of help here. Try the videos. A tab is at the top. There's also lots of knitters who are so good at helping others. Or you can use the search option to see what's been said before. I'm a big fan of using the public library for help & patterns, too.

>But there are so many awesome and beautiful things I want to knit!< Oh, I hear ya. My patterns I want to knit exceed my life expectancy.

Have fun!!

QweenieBee
02-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Opps NW stands for Northwest.

I am at the very top tip of Indiana, part of "Chicagoland" ^_^

Indygirl
02-23-2009, 07:08 PM
I am going to try to go to the library tomorrow. I have an appointment at 2:00 so I might as well stop there first.
Maybe see you tomorrow.

Loopie
02-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm going to try and get there too, Indygirl. Hope to meet you there. Also hope you are feeling better than last week.

Loopie
02-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Darn it! Something has come up and I won't be able to get to the library after all. Have a good time if you go today...hope to see you next week.

yarncharmer
02-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, shoot! I'm really sorry I didn't get to make it there today. I had an appointment earlier that took longer than I expected, so there was no time for knitting :cry:

Don't forget, though, that tonight is the B& N knit night at 7:30 - I may try to make it there, but wouldn't get there until around 8:00

Did you go to the library today Indygirl? I'm sorry I missed it!

yarncharmer
02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi Indygirl and Loopie and others in the Btown area,
I just found out about In A Yarn Baskets' 1st Anniversary sale Today through Saturday, everything in the store is 10 to 60 % off, including Addi needles and the new Namaste bags! I'm going to have to get down there!

Indygirl
02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Yarncharmer, Yes I did go to the library today. They had 4 counting me. I am going to B&N tonight. Hope to see you there.
I've been knitting a little more ea. day. I think I'm really on the mend now. I hope so, I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about it. I know I'm tired of feeling bad and talking about it. :cry:

yarncharmer
02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
well, I didn't make it last night obviously. I hope you had fun Indygirl! Did they have a big turn out? Where do they knit? I've never been to one of the Tuesday night knits there.

We ended up having an impromptu Mardi Gras party - made shrimp etouffe and a quick and easy king cake - yum! It was just our family, but we wore beads, so we're calling it a party! :balloons:

Loopie
03-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Anyone planning to go to the the library tomorrow?

Indygirl
03-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I think I'll be there. Loopie, How will I know you? I've met yarncharmer & I know her real name, but I don't know your name.

Loopie
03-02-2009, 10:22 PM
It's such a small group I'm sure we'll find each other. See you there!

Loopie
03-06-2009, 03:47 AM
It appears I won't be available during the library knitting time for the foreseeable future. It was nice meeting you both, yarncharmer, and Indygirl. Indygirl, good wishes and best of luck to you regarding your health concerns.

Happy knitting!

yarncharmer
03-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I hope everything is ok, Loopie. It was nice meeting you, too. I hope you'll be able to come back to the knit group sometime soon, or maybe we can get together at one of the other knitting times around town (although most of those are at night and I know that doesn't work well for either of us). Stay in touch!

Rubie
03-07-2009, 01:02 PM
:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:
Hello, I am in Ft. Wayne! Rubie

Gertie
03-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Hiya Rubie! :waving: Wow. You're way up there.

Do you knit a lot or are you more casual like me?

KateSteward
04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi. I'm new to the board as well and located in Evansville.

Nice to meet everyone!

Gertie
04-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi, Kate! Hope you enjoy this site. Lots of great people here.

yarncharmer
04-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi Kate! Welcome! And welcome to Rubie, too! I think I missed seeing you join in last month. How are you doing Gertie? It's gotten quiet around here lately. Are you still :knitting: a lot? I am...

Gertie
04-10-2009, 08:53 PM
How are you doing Gertie? It's gotten quiet around here lately. Are you still :knitting: a lot? I am...

Hiya, yarncharmer! :waving: We're all doing fine down here. DS is in town from Vincennes Univ. & DD will be coming in Sat. night. Been a long busy day (& week) & I've got to go to the grocery yet tonight. :sad: I wish my MIL wouldn't have a get together at their house the day before a cooking holiday. That's their way.

Whatchya :knitting:? I'm working on my little blue fishies for a tessellating fish afgan. I have lots of Berella "4" Country Blue so that's the main color. I have 20 so far & lots n lots more to do. Not sure how big I'm gonna make the afghan. Gonna try to do it in all stash yarn.

I also want to work on more 6x9 rectangles for the Handmade Afghans Project (HAP) for wounded soldiers. I'm actually crocheting now!! HAP had a crochet stitch pattern, moss stitch, that I can actually do. (Will wonders never cease?) Is much faster than knitting.

You & everyone else take care & have a blessed Easter weekend.

yarncharmer
04-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Gertie! I've been knitting a sweater that has seemed to go on forever. It's cotton, so it's still going to be wearable for a little while this spring, I hope, and I'm really getting close to getting it done. I wanted to have it done by tomorrow, but that won't happen. I love those tesselating fish! That looks really complicated and time-intensive. I can't wait to see it when it's done - be sure to post some pics. Have fun having your kids at home this weekend. I don't think we're going to Vincennes, but maybe we will in the afternoon. When we're at my parents on Easter we always see a lot of little bunnies in the yard - it's really fun.

I took a look at the HAP afghan website. I hadn't heard of them before. I might like to do that! I'll let you know if I get around to doing any rectangles.

Happy Easter!

Gertie
04-11-2009, 11:44 AM
yarncharmer (That's a great name!) - I've knit an open front vest but never a sweater. I'm sure it'll look great. Can you post pics?

The pattern I'm using for my fish isn't complicated at all. I chose a simple one that was easy to memorize. Great take-along project. I did a lot of research and knit a few fishies before settling on my pattern & even then I made a few changes to suit me. I plan on crocheting them together. It'll be faster & hopefully have the effect I want. I grinned when you said that you can't wait to see the pics when it's done. I'm not a power knitter. Time & eye strength are limited. It's gonna take awhile!

I also want to do another helmetliner for the troops. They're my favorite project. Seems I give away most of what I knit, but I knit what pleases me.

HAP'll be glad to have you join our group. Lots of info on the listserve forum. There's criteria that must be met for the 6x9s - must be 6x9" in a relaxed state; can be vertical or horizontal; must be 100% acrylic; not ribbed or lacey so they'll attach better. The forum has all the info. They're another great take-along project. If I don't have my cardboard 6x9 template with me, I just use my little measuring tape to make sure the size is correct. On 2 of my crochet rectangles, I added a little border to get them to the correct size. My left hand tension is a problem. They're having another Put Together Event (PTE) in early May.

Bunnies in the yard at Easter! Perfect! I'll look at our squirrels and pretend. Been awhile since we've had bunnies.

Take care.

Rubie
04-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi! I am casual too. I do like to knit tho, I have to many hobbies!
Rubie

Gertie
04-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Hi! I am casual too. I do like to knit tho, I have to many hobbies!
Rubie

Some people make such beautiful gifts & things with deadlines. I just go for stress management. Relax & enjoy the trip. But with time & eye strength issues, I just do what makes me happy. cloud9 I'm starting to itch wanting to do another helmetliner. It'll be my sixth one.

So, what other hobbies do you have?

:knitting: anything right now?

Have a great week up there!

Rubie
04-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Hello again! I also make handmade soaps, basket weaving and stained glass. Not often, but I do crochet too. How about you? Any other crafts?
You have a great week too.
Rubie

Gertie
04-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Rubie - I knit, starting to crochet & wanting to get back into a little cross stitch & embroidery. Years ago I made gifts from cross stitch & loop embroidery. Pretty Christmas ornaments. I'd have to do it in spurts now. I'd like to try basket weaving.

DD fusses at me for not having anything I made. I always give it away. I have a knitted vest tho & my fishie afghan stays here.

Gertie
04-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know much about Atkinson Farm Yarns & Artisan Jewelry in Vincennes? 1061 N Atkinson Rd. I Googled them, but apparently there's no web site. The map shows that they're outside of town. I don't know if we're going up to help DS move home from VU on Sat May 9. I'd like to pay them a visit. If we're going up, I'll call first.

yarncharmer
04-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Hi Gertie! You know, I just found that Atkinson shop online when I was looking for distributors of some sort of needle. I have no idea where that is, but I will try to find out and let you know. I went to high school with some kids with the last name Atkinson, but since it's on Atkinson road, it sounds sort of like it's out in the country, so maybe somewhere in the "North Knox or South Knox" territory. I'll bet my dad will know where this is.

We didn't end up going to Vincennes on Sunday, but we saw the biggest rabbit sitting just a few feet from our front porch on Saturday. We stood at our front door and watched him for a long time before he finally hopped away. We decided he was a 'Scout' looking for egg-hiding spots.

I used to be craft-ier in the past, but nowadays all I do is knit - I love it!

yarncharmer
04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Gertie, I PM'd you. I looked this up on google maps, and it's really not very far out of town at all. You could probably be there in 10 minutes, and it's easy to find - I sent you google directions as interpreted by a (former) local. :happydance:

Gertie
04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi, Kate! You'll like this forum. Lots of great people here.

>What I lack in skill, I make up for in determination<
Great saying!

Gertie
04-27-2009, 08:56 PM
There was talk of some of you coming to Evansville to check out our shops. Sadly, we're down two.

Yarn Along in Henderson is closing. http://www.yarnalong.com/ Last I heard, they're open only 2 Thursdays a month now. The owner was caring for her ill father when she made the decision to close because caring for him took so much of her time. He's passed on now but the balls were rolling to close & she just decided to go through with it.

Four Ladies Needle Art is also closing. http://www.fourladiesneedleart.com/ Don't know why or have any current info on them.

Kate, do you have any info?

KnitWitts in Evansville http://www.knitwittsyarnshoppe.com/
and
The Village Knitter in Newburgh http://www.thevillageknitter.com/index.htm
are still open.

Hopefully on Sat 5/2 or 9 I'll be able to get up to Atkinson Farm Yarns & Artisan Jewelry in Vincennes. Unfortunately, yarncharmer won't be able to meet me there. Scheduling problems.

KateSteward
04-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Recently I've only been past 4 Ladies while driving, but it looked pretty dark. It's such a shame. I really liked the atmosphere of that shop.

I'm hoping that the Village Knitter still offers classes. I would like to attempt socks as Christmas gifts for my sisters and after the research I've done I think I'll need a class. I keep meaning call and check....but you know how that goes.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I totally love the forum and am in AWE of the amazing talent here!!

Gertie
04-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Recently I've only been past 4 Ladies while driving, but it looked pretty dark. It's such a shame. I really liked the atmosphere of that shop.

I'm hoping that the Village Knitter still offers classes. I would like to attempt socks as Christmas gifts for my sisters and after the research I've done I think I'll need a class. I keep meaning call and check....but you know how that goes.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I totally love the forum and am in AWE of the amazing talent here!!

Yes, I really liked Four Ladies also. They are so nice & know what they're talking about. If I lived closer, I'd have patroned them more.

I don't know what Village Knitter has going right now, but Docia knows socks. She's so sweet.

I learned socks on Sensational Knitted Socks. It's a great book, but check their errata page on-line! Many changes. There have been several threads on this site about sock books & sites.

Have you checked out Central Library's knit section? Lots n lots. :thumbsup:

Update - I'll not be going to Vincennes on Sat 5/2. Looks like it'll be Sat 5/9. Unless he decides to pack up on Thur or Fri to avoid the congestion. Hoping I can get to Atkinsons. I lurked in a local Ravelry group & someone mentioned them as a good shop.

Have a great rest of the week, all. :knitting:

Gertie
05-10-2009, 02:05 AM
OK, Ladies. I made it up to Atkinson Farm Yarns in Vincennes. The ladies there are so nice! I really like the place.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkSign.jpg

The shop is in an old farm house.
http://s564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkFront2.jpg

The owner is Cheryl Atkinson.
http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkIn10.jpg

If I try to name their yarns I might make a mistake so let's just say that they have lots n lots!
http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkIn3.jpg

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkIn6.jpg

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkIn7.jpg

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkIn8.jpg

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkIn9.jpg

and much more.

Lots of books & patterns. Lots more than this:
http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkIn5.jpg

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82/Barney1_bucket/AtkIn1a.jpg

Open Knits are on Sat & Tue. They always have a good group.

So many yarn specialty shops are closing, but they're expanding this summer. Gonna add on to the building.

They're at 1061 N Atkinson Rd. just a little east of Windy Knoll Winery. (812) 726-1306
Tue - Fri 12-5
Sat 10-3

I'm pretty good at turning a deaf ear to the calls of yarns. My stash isn't impressive. Books are my weakness. They had two that I've been wanting & another one called out to me. My mother surprised me by paying for them! I bought a skein of Galway to make a helmetliner for the troops. I enjoy making them.

It's worth the trip there.

Cheryl recommended a restraurant called Pea-Fections on Main St. in Vincennes. They have a good write-up http://scotthutcheson.typepad.com/the_hungry_hoosier/2006/03/peafections.html

I missed ya, yarncharmer!

Have a happy Mother's Day and a good week! :knitting:

KateSteward
05-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the pics! That would be a fun little day trip some weekend...should I ever had a weekend off. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!

Happy Mother's Day to all

yarncharmer
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the pics, Gertie! That looks like such a nice little shop! I hope I'll get to visit next Saturday. My niece's graduation party starts at 4, so I could go to Atkinson's in the morning - yay! I missed meeting you, too Gertie - but my daughter had stuff going on yesterday and I couldn't get out of town. Did you get your son all packed up and home without any problems? Moving is always a pain, even if it's just dorm room moving.

Happy Mother's Day!

Gertie
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah. He's home now. He had his clothes already packed in his car & his computer all packed up. Was an easy move. Except that we brought home more than we took up. Next time we take the truck!

We brought my mother with us. She'd never seen VU. Was good that she could go. She really enjoyed seeing VU, Tom's dorm life & we even ate on campus. Hey, his meal was paid for & we were going to get it!! :thumbsup: The food's pretty good there. :mmm:

She used to crochet a lot & she's knit a little. She enjoyed Atkinson enough. It was so sweet of her to pay for my books! :muah:

Let us know how your visit goes.

Gertie
05-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Kate - Yes, it's a pleasant trip. (Even with the van loaded up full.)

I was advised by them how to take an easier route home. The reverse directions are:
Getting there from Evv, it's faster to go (from Hwy 41) east on Hwy 50 to N Monty Rd. Turn left onto Monty. After you cross the old Hwy 50, the name changes to N Hillcrest Rd. The second right is N Atkinson. The Windy Knoll Winery has a sign. Turn right. The store is on the left soon after the winery.

Getting from Hwy 50 onto Monty isn't on any maps I have. I looked it up on the Google satelite map site to double check me. Here (http://maps.google.com/)

If you go, let us know about your visit?

We have such good LYSs here, but it's fun to visit others. And as you said, "a fun little day trip." All one needs is the time off and the money. I don't like to shop when I have little money. That's another reason that my yarn stash isn't impressive. The public library helps when books call out to me.

Have a good week! :knitting:

KateSteward
05-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the directions. Perhaps sometime this summer. I like to look for patterns/books at yard sales. Not so much for yarn. It's usually very outdated or in really bad condition. This year though I'm on the hunt for vintage glassware

Gertie
08-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Good night, we're boring! How's everyone doing? Did anyone make it to Atkinson in Vincennes? We're taking DS back to VU in a couple of weeks. Not sure if I'll be able to get back to Atkinson.

I'm bored making dish cloths for friends & bridal shower gifts. I want to get back to my fishies for my tessellating fish afghan.

I'm also wanting to do a BSJ. I have the pattern & Meg's DVD. I also found on YouTube videos of techniques & helps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMirlP_YuXo

:knitting: Hope all are having a great summer. :knitting:

yarncharmer
08-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Gertie! Good to 'see' you. I never did make it to Atkinson's. Every time I go to Vincennes, we have some 'reason' for being there that tends to take up most of my time. I need to go down for a few days with nothing major going on - only then will I probably have time. I was just looking at your pics of the shop again - it looks like such a cute, nice shop.

There's a shop in Bloomington that's having a BSJ class, but I don't have any babies to knit a sweater for. Is your son looking forward to getting back to VU? Our local schools start classes next Wed (the 12th) - that feels way too soon!

Gertie
08-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Atkinson is supposed to be expanding this summer.

I don't have gands yet, but I really want to do a BSJ for either a baby or a toddler. Don't know if I'll give it away or just keep it. If I give it away, it'll go to a little one who needs it. Not one who has everything. The Ravelry BSJ group has a thread about what to make to accessorize them - hats, mittens, booties, pants. I found on YouTube a tutorial series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMirlP_YuXo). Interesting that she says she's had more people need help with the line by line instructions available than with EZ's instructions. There's other helps online.

Tom's chompin' at the bit to get back up there. He has friends now & is even rooming with one of them this year. He very much likes his classes. They're opening the dorms Thurs 8/20 am. That's when he wants to go up. His summer job is just doing production work. Boring, but the pay's decent. Better than some of his friends. He won't be coming home as much this year. :pout: I miss him when he's gone.

Our public schools start 8/12! Seems strange to this old timer.

I hope your summer is going well. Ours is OK here. DH says it's gonna :hot: again.

Take care.

jebers
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi all -

I am also in Bloomington and fell in love with In A Yarn Basket. It's a great place. I have only been to Yarns Unlimited once. My hours don't agree with theirs so it's hard to get over there..

yarncharmer
08-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Another Bloomingtonian! Cool! I like both our LYS, although I really must. not. buy. any. more. yarn. until I knit up some of what I've got. I was just telling myself that this morning:wink:

Do you go to any knitting groups? I don't because the times never seem to work out for me, but I'd like to.

Love Dr. Horrible...

jebers
08-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I am a major Joss Whedon fan...loved it!

Anyway, I used to go to Thursday nights at IAYB every week, but I have had major scheduling conflicts lately :( so I haven't been able to go. I am also under strict orders to use some of my scrap yarn before I buy anymore and only have 4 projects going at a time...I am one of those "I want to do 10 projects at a time people", much to my hubby's chagrin...

Gertie
08-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Hello, jebers! :waving: I don't go to knitting groups either. Don't want to be gone another night in the week.

Whatcha :knitting: ? I'm on my DD's requested scarf & I actually knit another fish for my Tessellating Fish Afghan.

I'm down in Evansville.

jebers
08-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Currently I am working on a lot of little projects for a craft fair in November and a couple of Christmas presents. Doing some hats, some headbands, and perhaps some scarfs and wash cloths :)

Gertie
09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Currently I am working on a lot of little projects for a craft fair in November and a couple of Christmas presents. Doing some hats, some headbands, and perhaps some scarfs and wash cloths :)

Oh good. Nice portable projects.

yarncharmer
09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
What craft show are you doing Jebers? Is it the holiday farmers market? It's great that you're doing that -- if I can just knit what I want to have done for gifts I'll be really pleased.

I went in to IAYB yesterday to check out the Addi Clicks - very nice! They've got a lot of beautiful new yarn coming in and lots of good sales, too.

Gertie, did you get your son all settled in at VU? IU started on Monday and everywhere is so crowded...

Gertie
09-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Gertie, did you get your son all settled in at VU? IU started on Monday and everywhere is so crowded...

Oh yeah. We went up Thur 8/20. We left him happy being with his friends. Sooo much different than last year - we left him all alone in his dorm room knowing only one person that he wasn't even close to. Was so hard on me. He's not a master of communication, but I believe he's seeing that this year's harder just like he was told it would be. Wednesday is his easiest day. Thanks for asking.

Didn't have the yarn money to go to Atkinson Farm Yarns that day so we just came on home.

DD in culinary school had a good result in her culinary lab test today. Had to make a three course meal for one. Got a 92. Better than yesterday's top grade (another student) of 91. I'm anxious to hear the details.

How are you & yours?

sparrish
09-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi folks,
A longtime Bloomingtonian, and also a big Dr. Horrible Singalong Blog fan, and loved it when Captain Hammer showed up as Castle on ABC. Love In a Yarn Basket. I try to get there a couple of times a months at least.

Does anyone know about how much to charge for contract knitting? A friend has asked me to finish two sweaters for her sons. I know for a fact she has been trying to finish them for about 10 years because I've helped her a few times. I have a new grandbaby girl and am constantly knitting for her, so I don't want to stop work on that unless it's profitable. But I want to be fair, too...Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks, Susan

jebers
09-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Bloomington Hospital has one in November :)

This will be my first one and I'm all butterflies...

What craft show are you doing Jebers? Is it the holiday farmers market? It's great that you're doing that -- if I can just knit what I want to have done for gifts I'll be really pleased.

I went in to IAYB yesterday to check out the Addi Clicks - very nice! They've got a lot of beautiful new yarn coming in and lots of good sales, too.

PurpleInk
09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi everyone! Seeing all the Bloomington people made me wish I lived a little more south! I live in Greenwood, IN and I really wish we had some good yarn shops around here. My best places to buy yarn are JoAnn Fabrics, Michael's and Meijer (*major sadface*).

There was a yarn store up by where I go to school (IUPUI - I'm an El Ed Major) but it closed before I ever found it :(

Anyway, nice to see there are lots of Indy Knitters! :D

Racerkatie
09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Yarncharmer, et. al,

I grew up in Bloomington and as a Hoosier-in-exile noted this thread. Got to go home last week. Stayed at the Courtyard, which used to be the location of the Ford dealer's used car lot on my paper route down College Avenue. Walked up to the Square and had dinner at Grazie's. Saw only TWO stores on the Square that were there when I was a kid: Williams Jewelers and the Book Corner. Glad to see the Yellow Cab stand is still in the place around the corner from the old Woolworth's ... my grandmother was known to every cab driver in Bloomington and after buying me an outfit at Wick's and buying me lunch at Woolworth's walked around the corner to catch a ride home. She was a nurse who graduated from Bloomington Hospital around 1920 and never learned to drive. Based on your recommendations, I visited Yarns Unlimited. Found and bought two skeins of hand-dyed yarn done by the gal out in Solsberry.

oh! that Talbott's store is in the old Kresge building and when I was a teenager it was a fabric store after Kresge's closed.
Visit home was TOO short! Thanks for helping me enjoy your LYS.
Katie

Gertie
12-18-2009, 02:12 AM
Merry Christmas to all!! :muah: :grphug:

yarncharmer
12-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I haven't seen this thread in a long time! I think I missed PurpleInk's and RacerKatie's posts before.... PurpleInk, you should come down to a knit night in Bloomington sometime! Yarns Unlimited, on the square, has one on (I think) Monday nights, and In A Yarn Basket, on South Walnut, has one Thursday nights and a lunch time knitting every Tuesday. There's also a Bloomington Ravelry group that meets to knit in various places around town several times a month.

RacerKatie, it was interesting reading about your memories of Bloomington. I can remember the square back in the 70s when my sisters were at school at IU, when Ben Franklin was on the corner where Bakehouse is now. I really like the feel of our downtown. You'll have to let us know next time you're in town and maybe you could come out to meet some fellow knitters, too!

Merry Christmas, Gertie, and everyone!

fluffybunny
02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I live in Indy if anyone is planning a knitting meeting somewhere.
I do go to a spinners/weavers guild meeting every 3rd Thurs in Franklin, IN, but we usually spin there. I'm almost the only knitter, most of those ladies weaver.
Donna

Gertie
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Hello, Donna! Glad you joined us. We've been so quiet lately.
I've not much interest in spinning, but I would like to try weaving.

I'm working on DD's BoyF's scarf (6 ft of all black) & a tessellating fish afghan.
Whatcha :knitting: ?

yarncharmer
02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Donna! There are quite a few people who meet to knit at different times through the week here in Bloomington, although most of them are in the evening so it might be a bit far to travel from Indy. There is one on Sunday afternoons though that might be good, though. Do you ever go to the Mass Ave shop? I was in there once, years ago before I was a knitter, looking for yarn for hair for a doll. I'd love to go back again - I always hear good things about that shop!

Hi Gertie! 6 feet of black scarf, huh? I hope she's fairly serious about this boyfriend!

Gertie
02-25-2010, 01:56 AM
6 feet of black scarf, huh? I hope she's fairly serious about this boyfriend!

Yep. 69 sts = 12 in. 6 ft of it. All black. The Corrugator. It's such an easy pattern. Easy to read the fabric as long as I have a strong light to see the sts. To get the nice edge, I knit the first st & then on the last st, I yf & sl purlwise. It's just what I'm used to. Using I Love this Yarn from Hobby Lobby. So far I like it. Do you have experience with it?

http://hiredhands.ca/2007/08/after-the-vacation.html

Brandon's a good man. They're thinking they may have a future together. It's only about 6 mos into the relationship. College isn't finished yet. No hurry. Whatever God has planned for her (& him).

I'll be in Vincennes this Sat. A Mozart concert at VU's Red Skelton PAC. Don't think I'll go by Atkinson's.

What'cha :knitting: ? You & your family all OK?

jckkeith
02-27-2010, 07:45 AM
I would love to learn to knit... but don't have any friends or know of anyone who could teach me.. Some morning when I am drinking my coffee I watch a knitting show on Home and Garden channel..I am also interested in learning to quilt.. a couple of my girlfriends and I have talked about taking a class at one of the fabric stores and starting a little quilting bee

Gertie
02-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Oh my! There's lots of videos & books on knitting. Go get a set of size US 8 (5mm) needles - don't know if you're in the US or elsewhere. Get some basic worsted weight yarn. Don't start with cotton. Cotton doesn't have the spring that a basic wool or acrylic yarn has.

There are videos galore on this site & on youtube. If you get stuck, go to a yarn shop. Hopefully they'll be nice & help you. Your public library may have books & videos as well. Ours has lots.

Have fun :knitting: !

lucasviking
03-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Anyone out there in my area?

Gertie
04-11-2010, 12:52 AM
How is everyone? Enjoying lovely spring weather? We sure are down in SW Ind.

Our son graduates from Vincennes Univ next month. Anyone else having a graduate or graduating? :yay:

I'm still on DDs boyfr's scarf. Hopefully, I'll be done soon. My eyes just can't handle working on it long stretches. It's 12in wide & he wants it 6ft long. All black.

What's everyone else :knitting: ?

nonny2t
04-30-2010, 07:24 AM
I looked through the thread and see we have no South Benders here. Ok, so I don't live in Indiana anymore, we can't take the winter weather and live in Memphis, TN, but let's face it, Indiana is my home.
I grew up in a "mayberry like" town called North Liberty, about 20 miles south of South Bend. My son and dil and grandson live about 4 blocks from Notre Dame and my sister and her kids all live in the area there too.
I miss South Bend and the area very much but the winters just got to be too much for my husband and I. We still get at least one snowstorm in Memphis every year, but nothing like those lake effect jobs in South Bend.
When I go to visit, I go to Ericas there in South Bend. She is kind of pricey, but I used to cross stitch and always bought my stuff in her shop so always try to peek in when I am up there.
I have to say honestly though that I am an online kind of gal. I use knitpicks a huge amount as I really like their stuff.

Anyway, just wanted the South Bend area to be heard from! PS: Just to make you gals envious, it has been in the upper 70's and 80's for several weeks here! lol

Gertie
05-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi, nonny2t! Glad to hear from another Hoosier. Our pastor is from Kentucky. He says that Kentuckians who move to Indiana are called missionaries. Is that what you are down there? :p

Being way down in Evansville, I always have a hard time grasping that your area is called South Bend. Hope all is well down in Memphis.

I'm making charity dish cloths. Whatcha :knitting: ?