PDA

View Full Version : Knitting World Copyright

kekumukula
01-09-2009, 12:49 AM
I know you can't sell anything made from a purchased, designer pattern, but what about those "stitchonary" books that have all kinds of stitches for inspiration? Are you to only use those stitches for personal and not commercial use?

MoniDew
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
oh, no! I am sure that the stitch dictionaries are totally for 'inspirational' use! So, get all inspired, design that pattern (those patterns) and then

TELL US ALL ABOUT IT! :muah:

of troy
01-09-2009, 12:55 PM
stitch patterns (like cooking recipes!) can't be copy righted.

(so R1, Knit all stitches,
R2 and rows, Knit all stitches (garter) is generic enough to be public domain.

BUT--if i fancy it up, (with photo's, with bold, with a neat, attractive lay out.. my finished product IS copy rightable (and would be copy righted!)

so the answer is:
USE the text (but don't scan or cut and paste!) but not the photo's, style and lay out.

Its a nice idea to reference a book too..
sure garter is in EVERY book (about knitting!)

but some patterns are obscure, or not well executed (and look like nothing till Designer A choses the RIGHT yarn, at the RIGHT gauge, in the RIGHT color --so as to make the stitch look great... so why not give credit where credit is due!

(and don't think its ok to take a photo of the page, or scan the image of the swatch, and just USE it.. that's a no-no!)

luvmykid28
01-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Of troy---I like the throughness of yur responses. thanks

kekumukula
01-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Yes, thank you Of Troy for your thorough and clear explanation. Good to know.

MoniDew
01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
PS, just wanted to let you know that I'm working on a piece of inspiration right now! LOL!

Found a gorgeous laceweight variagated yarn in autumn colors and wanted to do a leafy pattern stitch to really show it off. turns out I didn't like my first several attempts. I also secretly knew but wasn't admitting to myself that I wouldn't wear a sweater or shawl made out of anything as fine as a cobweb - I might rip it and break my own heart.

I bought a knitter's bible (stitch dictionary) and started looking for leaf patterns, tried several, nothing was really jiving for me. then I had a thought.

I finally double-stranded it with a gorgeous teal green, then tried the leafy stitch pattern and VOILA! magic happened right between my fingers! Can't wait to get it done, get it blocked and try it on.

of troy
01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
So when you are done, you can:
write up the directions:
Yarn, gauge, needles, cast on (style and how many!)

then write the 'stitch pattern" directions ( and maybe even make a graph--(use the table function of a word processor, or even easier, use Excel))

TAKE some Photographs--

of the pattern (details) and of the scarf--finished

IT'S YOUR pattern.
if you publish (on google,(google document) , on your blog, or as a PDF (for sale))--be sure to mention that you were inspired by stitch pattern X, in book X, edited by, Xxxx Xxxx.

the stitch pattern (a leaf motif) is generic..
but the direction to make YOUR scarf are your design, and they can be copyrighted--same goes for YOUR images.

a pattern is the whole package, (yarn, color, gauge, cast on, repeats, finishing details, final size..

Garter is generic.. but all those designs in Sally Melvilles The Knit stitch (all designed just using KNITS) they are copyrighted!

mountgigantic
01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
my situation is this.
i have been using a stitch for a lot of my scarf projects. i think it's called a missing rib stitch...row 1: k1, p1, repeat to end...row 2: k2, p2, repeat to end, alternate rows. sometimes casting one 20-24 stitches on large needles or up to 40 on smaller. something super basic, right?

well, i stumbled across a "pattern" on someones blog that only specifies a needle size and the number of cast on stitches. no mention of yarn type, how many rows to knit or finishing techniques. they did have a couple of pictures of the work in progress. but what bugs me is this person stated that they have copyrighted the pattern?! it doesn't seem to me that it's a pattern at all, but i'm afraid when i post something on etsy, it may be flagged for no reason just b/c i used the same stitch.
i should note that i usually start with a purl row so maybe that will be different enough.

so my question is:
does anyone think this person has a right to claim copyright on such a vague pattern?

Craw
01-27-2009, 09:42 AM
mountgigantic, do you have a link to the pattern in question? It's hard to tell without seeing it but just because someone *says* they have copyrighted a stitch, doesn't make it so. One can't make up their own copyright laws and expect them to be honored. Not saying that's the case here but just in general. For example, I've seen, on the web, someone who wrote a pattern for a scarf using just single crochet. Period. Nothing else to it but the stitch. No special shaping or anything. Then she/he claimed copyright. Well, about the only thing they really had copyrighted was the photo they used but a single crochet scarf? Nah. Maybe they were trying to copyright the yarn or the hook size used but as far as I know, you can't do that either.