PDA

View Full Version : Pricing question

galadriel
01-15-2009, 05:43 PM
I am fairly new to knitting, i have only been doing it for about a year now. I have made scarfs and hats and socks for just about everyone I know. I always give them as gifts and have never let anyone pay me for them, i figure that I am going to be doing it anyways so I should just give the items to my friends. Now I have several people who are "friends of friends" or people that i don't know that are asking how much I would charge to make their children scarfs or hats or whatever the item is. I have no idea what a reasonable amount is to charge! Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to sound greedy but at the same time I don't want to give them away to people I don't even know! I would love some help, thanks.
Oh, the only items I would ever sell are hats, socks and scarves (not confident enough on anything else) :aww:

Jan in CA
01-15-2009, 06:11 PM
First of all make sure that it's okay to sell items made from the pattern. Some patterns don't allow it. If it's your own then it matters not. ;)

As for price..if you bought a hand knit scarf/hat/socks in a store they'd be very expensive. You have to figure in the cost of the yarn and your time to do it. You can charge a bit less for friends, but be careful so they don't take advantage of you and your time. :)

swcheng15
01-15-2009, 06:46 PM
[First of all make sure that it's okay to sell items made from the pattern. Some patterns don't allow it. If it's your own then it matters not. ;) ]

I agree with Jan, though I don't know how you'd find out if a pattern allows you to sell it or not (unless it specifically says no).

As mentioned, start with the cost of the yarn, then see how much time it takes you to do it. Scout some stores to see how much hand-knitted items cost and calculate from there.

Good luck!