PDA

View Full Version : DROPS pattern sucks!

jamiejeans
01-16-2009, 11:18 PM
is it me or do the patterns by Drops (you can get them free on ravelry) are very difficult to read?
I am doing the 107-8 top with lace pattern- a simple tank, so I thought- and have frogged it 3 times. First two times because I am having a hard time reading the pattern, the last time because somewhere I got totally waylayed in stitches and messed up in a way I couldn't figure out or fix.
Needless to say I am frustrated. This pattern is written horribly- in my opinion. Just to give you an idea this is what it starts with:
"Work 3 vertical repeats of M.1 and then 1 vertical repeat of m.2 ( = 1 round)"
How does this equal a round? This is what initially threw me off. I know get what they are saying, but is anyone else thrown by that?

Jan in CA
01-17-2009, 01:47 AM
You know, I haven't done any of the patterns yet, but I DO hate they way they are written! I think if I like something well enough I'd rewrite it myself.

Not sure what the answer to your question is.. is it British English or American?

suzeeq
01-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Most of their patterns are British english, but the main problem is the way they're translated. I'm sure they make sense in Norwegian or swedish, but lose a lot going to english. It takes reading a few, plus looking at the charts and the schematics to figure them out.

wezyus
01-17-2009, 02:43 AM
i think the original of drop design is in french, maybe the traduction isnt the same or they missed some lines or so but according to me its easy to understand n follow especially if there is a grille of the pattern...try once more

KnittingNat
01-17-2009, 05:29 AM
suseeq is right, the translation from norwegian is making these beautiful patterns very difficult. I have a friend that is in her third year of physics degree and she said she managed to figure out a Drops pattern only after applying all her mathematical skills:teehee:

jamiejeans
01-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I will not let this pattern get me- I will be starting again today but I agree that something is lost in translation on this pattern. I think its originally written in Norweigan.

What's worse is that I am not a good chart reader- makes things much slower and for some reason my eyes seem to miss stitches.

Marria
01-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Is anyone else on Ravelry making it (or has made it)? Maybe they could offer some advice. I am working on a difficult sweater pattern (and it was in English to begin with, for heaven's sakes!), and looking at the notes of others on Ravelry who have made it invaluable. Just a thought.

JB4Knitting
01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
That's what I'm starting to notice as well, are the "translation" directions. I agree that they can be difficult, especially for a semi-beginner such as myself.

I'm still battling over cable instructions.:aww:

madidolly
01-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Had the same problems but most of the time (if I read it enough times) the light will go off. I have had luck posting my problem on their site and have been lucky enough that a person who could speak English reponded with help. Bless that women!! Sometimes the pattern is just worth all the problems and sometimes I just look for something similar without going through all the trouble.