PDA

View Full Version : leaving tails?

Darby
01-18-2009, 07:11 PM
How long do you leave CO tails or when you have to switch to another ball of yarn... how long do you leave those after weaving?

suzeeq
01-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I usually have mine short, a couple of inches, but many people like them 3-4" long. After weaving in, there shouldn't be anything left, so if you've woven them through a few stitches, then just clip off the extra. If you want to use the tail yarn for seaming, then you'd want to leave about 2-3 times the length of the seam.

campbellmom549
01-18-2009, 07:24 PM
I always leave 6-8 inches. But I like to weave my ends in a lot so I know they're secure and I don't like sewing with a short length of yarn.

Jaxhil
01-18-2009, 07:38 PM
I leave about 6-8 inches as well, for weaving in. I do like to leave about 1/2 an inch after cutting off the woven-in yarn, because mine seem to poke out the front eventually if I don't. Clearly suzeeq is better at weaving in that me! :teehee:

One thing I just tried today when weaving in yarn on a dishcloth was to weave in most of the yarn as usual, then when I just had about three inches left, I split the four-ply yarn into two sections and wove those in separately. That worked much better and doesn't show at all. It's much less lumpy!

suzeeq
01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I usually just pull the ends through the nearby sts on the WS with a crochet hook. You can't tell they're there and there's no lumpy double thick stitch. Unless I'm misunderstanding how you're supposed to do it...

MerigoldinWA
01-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I leave a longish tail too most of the time. If I can I like to use the duplicate stitch method of hiding ends and like to have a longer tail for that. I've never used a crochet hook for working in ends in knit (I used to for crochet), but so many thing work.

Marria
01-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I recently started using duplicate stitch for weaving in ends and I really like that method because it really secures the ends well, and I don't have trouble with them popping out on the other side.

When I'm snipping off the end, I pull on the end, stretching it a bit, and snip it. Then when I let go, it disappears into the fabric.

RuthieinMaryland
01-18-2009, 09:15 PM
One thing I just tried today when weaving in yarn on a dishcloth was to weave in most of the yarn as usual, then when I just had about three inches left, I split the four-ply yarn into two sections and wove those in separately. That worked much better and doesn't show at all. It's much less lumpy!

Hi! :waving:

After you weave in a few stitches, split the yarn plies as Jax says, and then you pull 1/2 back through the same stitch and tie the two 2-ply sections in a double knot. Then weave through the rest.

The double knot is so small that it'll bury itself easily into the weave and it makes the tie off so much more secure. This is terrific for dishcloths since they get so much wear!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie :knitting:

dturner
01-20-2009, 12:02 PM
I usually just pull the ends through the nearby sts on the WS with a crochet hook. You can't tell they're there and there's no lumpy double thick stitch. Unless I'm misunderstanding how you're supposed to do it...

I had never thought of using a crochet hook. I'll have to give that a try!

suzeeq
01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Probably that's how I get away with shorter tails than people who use a tapestry needle. With the needle, you'd have to have a tail at least twice as long as the needle, I think.

Marria
01-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Sue-when you use the crochet hook do you run into issues with the ends popping back through on the other side?

suzeeq
01-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Popping through to the right side? No, they may come loose on the WS a little. I pull the tail through the purl bumps on the WS and just tuck in the end.

Newbie2Knitting
01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
I never thought of using a crochet hook either. Darn it; I just bought some new tapestry needles, too, since the last one dissappeared.

Jaxhil
01-21-2009, 02:20 PM
I am so glad you mentioned this technique-I was just noticing today on a pair of hand warmers I made for my sweet DH that the ends (that I know I wove in VERY carefully!) are popping through on the right side :gah: Very frustrating!!

Do you find the ends stay secure on the inside this way? I really worry about things coming unravelled.

Thanks!

KnitTogether
01-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I like the crochet hook idea. I have had a few occasions where I have used a tiny spot of fray check and then dabbed with a kleenex so that only the tiniest amount remained, and that kept a couple of real stubborn ones in place. I have also had occasion where I worked with some very slick ribbony thread, and I actually needed to take a regular needle and thread and tack the ribbon to itself in a couple places on the back side, just to keep it in place due to the unusual slickness of the ribbon. I've only needed to do that twice, though.

suzeeq
01-21-2009, 11:13 PM
You know, that's really odd... I knit at a much looser gauge than patterns call for and other knitters shudder at, but I don't have problems with the ends popping through the other side.