PDA

View Full Version : FO: Machu Picchu Earflap-less Hat

ArtLady1981
01-23-2009, 04:17 PM
My DH likes hats that have a 'native' look. Merigold's husband is really great at designing his own "cultural" hats, but alas, I'm not that inventive. I found a pattern on Ravelry called the Machu Picchu Earflap Hat (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/machu-picchu-earflap-hat). My husband loves the two color design work, but not the flaps, so I left them out. Earflaps are a young thing, my DH is not. :teehee:

The pattern uses bulky yarn, so this project took one day.
Elann's Peruvian Highland Bulky: not quite two skeins of Coffee Brown and not quite one skein of the Indian Red. Each skein has 54 yards. The yarn is quite nice, and I would use it again.
It is surprisingly soft, and not dry feeling.

Stranding bulky yarn makes the hat real thick in those areas, but he likes a fat hat. He had a brown & tan bulky weight hat for years and years, don't know where he got hold of it. It finally gave out due to moth holes. I think it got moths cuz of where he stashed his precious hat. (not in the house) I think with his hunter stuff in the garage or the hunting bunk house. I dunno. I darned it a couple times, and that was that. I don't know where he has it now! :teehee:

The red "took" to the camera a little "off". It is more of an Indian Red.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3463/3220217739_7da6307304.jpg?v=0

dustinac
01-23-2009, 04:49 PM
:happydance: it looks great!

KnitTogether
01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Oh that is really great! :cheering: It looks so soft, yet warm! Thank you for linking the pattern!

cheley
01-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Oh that is really great! :cheering: It looks so soft, yet warm! Thank you for linking the pattern! Wow, me likey!!!! I love to do "hats" (but not for myself)....did ya do that "in the round"? I didn't feel like loggin in to Rav to check out the pattern...

auburnchick
01-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Wow! One day? Wow! Of course, I'm not surprised. You are quite the talented lady, and your hubby is quite the lucky man!

ArtLady1981
01-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow, me likey!!!! I love to do "hats" (but not for myself)....did ya do that "in the round"? I didn't feel like loggin in to Rav to check out the pattern...

Yes, the pattern called for "in the round"...which is nice for 'fair isle' knitting, or, stranded knitting. I dunno what it's called exactly, one or the other! The right side is always 'facing'. No WS purling. :thumbsup:

cheley
01-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, the pattern called for "in the round"...which is nice for 'fair isle' knitting, or, stranded knitting. I dunno what it's called exactly, one or the other! The right side is always 'facing'. No WS purling. :thumbsup: Awesome...I thought "Fair Isle" or stranded is a no no in the round:flirt:

Jan in CA
01-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Awesome...I thought "Fair Isle" or stranded is a no no in the round:flirt:

Heck no, it's easier in the round! It's intarsia that you need to do flat.

Love the hat, Dollyce!

Marria
01-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Gorgeous!

Errr....you didn't tell your husband you called him old on the KH board did you? ;)

ArtLady1981
01-24-2009, 01:05 AM
:aww: Oh heck no!

:roflhard:

Debkcs
01-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Beautiful work, as always, Dollyce.

Mine won't wear a knit hat, due to always being too MS hot, but years ago when he did, he looked like Charlie Brown with a mustache. :heart:

WandaT
01-24-2009, 09:04 AM
LOL Marria! This looks fabulous ArtLady! Love the colors you chose. One day I'll try "fair isle" knitting. :)

cheley
01-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Heck no, it's easier in the round! It's intarsia that you need to do flat.

Love the hat, Dollyce! Ummm..I am thinking back to when I did two colors "in the round" it was a slip st pat (that gave me some grief) not fair isle or stranded...thanks:hug:

Lcswknits
01-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I love the pattern.... I'm hoping to make one soon.

MerigoldinWA
01-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Nice ArtLady! Very "ethnic" even without the flaps. Your colors are beautiful and the yarn does look soft. Very manly hat, but I have to say John is looking a little out of the usual. :-) I think the earflaps would look fine on John, I don't think he is too old at all.

ecb
01-25-2009, 12:05 AM
great job
thanks for sharing ur good works

ArtLady1981
01-25-2009, 02:09 AM
Nice ArtLady! Very "ethnic" even without the flaps. Your colors are beautiful and the yarn does look soft. Very manly hat, but I have to say John is looking a little out of the usual. :-) I think the earflaps would look fine on John, I don't think he is too old at all.

Hi Judy!

No, I don't think he's too old to wear earflaps...but...he doesn't like them. He's too old (in his thinking) to know that they're cool! And he is stubborn when it comes to 'change'. :teehee: Or, updates! :wink:

Jan in CA
04-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Is that hand woven

It's hand knit with a technique called stranding or fair isle.

nonny2t
04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
It is great looking and I am sure your hubby is gonna love it!!

Olha
04-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Pretty, pretty, pretty.

Antares
04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Not sure how this one was resurrected, but it was fun to see it nonetheless!

dturner
05-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I love both the pattern and the colors you chose!

GrumpyGramma
05-05-2012, 03:54 AM
Great hat! Love the pattern. You done good. I think you must love your man, too. Lucky him.