PDA

View Full Version : My first toe up sock

Sknitter56
01-23-2009, 04:43 PM
So...I had today off and it's quiet, hubby gone, all by myself. I decided I wanted to try socks from the toe up. I had recorded a Knitty Gritty show of a lacy toe up sock, which is what I've been working on since 7:00 a.m. this morning!! I'm just an old conventional cuff down sock knitter using three needles and a fourth working needle, long tail cast on, all very simple. These socks start with a figure 8 cast on (which I've never used) and for the life of me, I could NOT get that first row knitted! Geesh...it took me, I know, at least 20 tries. My old brain just wouldn't wrap around it (no pun intended) for some reason and I kept dropping wraps like crazy. Put it down, started again, put it down, started again, then....I finally got it! :yay: Started with 8 wraps on the top needle, 8 wraps on the bottom. Then an increase row, then put the stitches on 4 needles and work with a fifth. I am actually liking it now because the lacy pattern is on the first two needles and the bottom (other two needles) are just plain knit. After almost 8 hours...this is what I've got so far:
Gonna keep at it just to see if I can do it, but I'm gettin' all stressed out about the heel part and the gussett. Lots of wraps and turns, but I'm gonna give it a shot. At this rate it'll be sometime in the summer before I get this one done.
Gotta learn two at once on two circs or something....I feel sss coming on.

dustinac
01-23-2009, 04:51 PM
:happydance: it's looking good! The heel will be ok, if you have questions just ask! I know the SSS feeling very well :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-24-2009, 01:49 AM
That's pretty!

WandaT
01-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Wow! I know what it's like to work so hard to figure something out. Your persistence paid off though! It's looking great!