PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your patterns?

TrishL1975
01-24-2009, 02:53 PM
At first this title was going to be "I bought a book!" but then...

So I'm in desperate search for a plain-old pullover pattern. I want something that is slightly cropped, quite fitted, maybe a cable pattern, or something. I *loved* this (http://www.knitpicks.com/Girl's+Night+Out+Sweater+Pattern_PD30876220.html) at KnitPicks, but $20? For a book I can't look through? And Ravelry, while giving me some stupendous feminine patterns, doesn't do fitted or cropped too well, never mind both at once. Or maybe my search abilities are sucking.

So I went to Barnes & Noble, found the book that pattern is in, and... couldn't do it. The picture on the model wasn't what I was thinking of, the ease was a lot bigger than I anticipated, and for the rest of the book... Where am I going to find all of those (luxurious, gorgeous) rare expensive fibers?

So I started slogging through the books and magazines, looking for a pattern I could fall in love with. Nothing. Until.... I found Custom Knits (http://www.knitpicks.com/Custom+Knits_BD31125.html). Not only did I love almost every single pattern in it, it promises to teach me how to design my own. Yay! This will keep me busy for YEARS.....

So where do you get your patterns?

suzeeq
01-24-2009, 03:03 PM
You didn't leave a choice for `All of the above'. Mostly I get them from the internet, but a few from books, magazines and I make up a lot of my own, sometimes combining elements from 2 or more patterns. As to the free - I use the library to get books I don't want to buy for a pattern or two, or to look over a book to see if I want to buy it.

globaltraveler
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I do all of them, too.

Jan in CA
01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
All of the above. And I'm willing to pay for a pattern if I really want it. :thumbsup:

bambi
01-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I get patterns at all the above, too. I pay for some, get some free and get some books. I have the custom knits book, too and I really like it!

I like to be able to really look at pattern construction before I buy b/c I hate seaming! I try to stick with one piece patterns or patterns that can be adapted to one piece. Therefore, I don't buy too many patterns on line b/c they don't always say the type construction.

Bambi

Marria
01-24-2009, 09:45 PM
You need to have an "all of the above" option. :)

TrishL1975
01-24-2009, 10:31 PM
I know, I know!!! But it won't let you edit the poll, or I'm blind, or something.

Bambi, that's what I like so much about it - there's so much encouragement to modify the patterns and it tells you HOW. How awesome is that? Besides the fact that I LOVE at least a half-dozen of the patterns, and that totally covers the cost of the book in my eyes.

suzeeq
01-24-2009, 10:40 PM
I see an edit poll button, but maybe 'cause I'm a mod. It's at the upper right corner of the box the poll is in.

Indygirl
01-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Most are from my books. I have bought some through Ravelry. I do have some I found free on the internet. I have an addiction for knitting book's as well as yarn.

lelvsdgs
01-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I too use all of the above. I'm happy to pay for a pattern/book if there is something I just love. It's nice to get free patterns but I'm willing to pay for them too.

Great question!

campbellmom549
01-24-2009, 11:58 PM
My library doesn't have much in the way of books and the only book store in town barely carries 10 knitting books, so I get most of my patterns from the internet - mostly through Ravelry.

And I am Totally jealous that you have Custom Knits! I just adore Wendy Bernard. I don't thing I've ever seen anything she's designed that I didn't like. Next time I make it up the road to B&N, I am totally buying it. And when you run out of patterns from her book, check out the ones she has on her blog. http://knitandtonic.typepad.com/

madidolly
01-25-2009, 07:25 AM
All of the above

Debbie
01-25-2009, 07:46 AM
I use all of the above ... but chose books ... because I can't resist a new knitting book so I pretend that I "use" every one of them for patterns. But, most of them are for pure pleasure reading :)

Quiltlady
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Yes, I would have said "most of the above" except they do not have to be free for me. But I do get my patterns from many sources.:muah:

JB4Knitting
01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I love the free patterns, and I have a few books too. But forget Barnes - goodness, talk about expensive! Even paperbacks. Good Lord!

I'm planning on getting one of those books that show nothing but different stitches, so I can eventually just create my own projects.

kellee0302
01-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I checked out Custom Knits. from what I can see this seems like a great book, I might have to purchase it myself.

swcheng15
01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
All of the above...I do go the library and check out a book to see if I want to purchase it. And when I decide to purchase, I tend to go through Amazon. But I sure do love free patterns! :)

Freyja
01-27-2009, 01:54 PM
All of the above. And I'm willing to pay for a pattern if I really want it. :thumbsup:

Same here.

Plantgoddess+
01-27-2009, 09:16 PM
All of the above.

TrishL1975
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm a Barnes & Noble cardholder, so the book was 20% off, which is still more expensive that you can get it from Amazon and KnitPicks has it for $16.50 right now.

As far as patterns for me goes, this is my first book. I've been captivated by Knitty.com, and I love looking at Ravelry. I need to get to knitting, I have more projects lined up than I can finish this year!

WandaT
01-28-2009, 08:01 AM
I pretty much get my patterns from "all of the above" too. Everyone loves free patterns, but I don't mind paying for them if I love them. I do have quite a few books too. I love the Harmony Guides stitch books and reference them quite often. I subscribe to Creative Knitting and Knit N Style mags and get lots of patterns from these mags too. I won't buy a book for one or two patterns, but if there are 4 or 5 I really think I will make, I'll pay up to $20 for it. Most patterns are about $6 per project anyway - plus I love my books.

Doublereeder2
01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Count me in as all of the above too. Free patterns are good, but if I like something, I will pay for it.

albertpollard
01-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Ditto on all the above. I have bought a book $30 for a pattern, but more often for the hints and tips. The internet is WONDERFUL for patterns. I like free but I am willing to pay for a pattern I like.
Currently I have some 24 patterns marked in the to-do list and subscriptions to two knitting magazines.....I need to learn to knit FASTER!!!

kimmypooh
02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
I am a all of the above kind of girl. But I do love free patterns if I can get them. I have tons of books, and have bought some on the Internet as well.