PDA

View Full Version : newbie with a question about a needles store

cresmoon
01-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi, all! I've been lurking for some time but finally decided to join up because I'm a VERY novice knitter and could really use some help (only learned the knit, purl, and cast on and cast off so far and have made nothing but scarves but I hope to make some progress soon!)

Anyway, my question is this: has anyone heard of/bought from this seller of bamboo needles?

http://www.8season-knitting.com/

I was thinking of buying from them because their prices are so cheap but I'm a little wary of buying online from sellers I don't know anything about. And it's complicated because even though their seller ratings are so good, they're in China so it won't be as easy buying or returning if I have to. And with the prices that low, I'm a little worried about the quality of their needles. But with them I can get 3 sets of needles, about 15 pairs per set, for about $45, s/h included. Yes, really. It almost sounds too good to be true. I emailed the seller and she seems nice enough and I'm really tempted. Only big concern of mine is that the needles won't be good quality and I have to put in my payment info online (which I've done before but only with Amazon).

Anyone use this seller before or know anything about them? I figured if anyone would, it would be someone here. Thanks in advance.

Btw, that knitting smilie is so cute!

katknit
01-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I haven't used that site, but I've been knitting for a long time, and in my experience, cheap bamboo needles aren't very good. I'm partial to Clovers, myself.

Marria
01-24-2009, 04:47 PM
I've never heard of them, but if you are worried about the seller being overseas, Amazon has excellent prices on a variety of bamboo needles. They aren't quite as cheap, but still very reasonably priced:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bamboo+knitting+needles&x=0&y=0

mountgigantic
01-24-2009, 06:39 PM
i actually just placed an order for a set through their etsy store.
i'm thinking they won't be the best quality, but i'm still learning DPN's and just want to see which sizes i like best.

shipping is going to take a while, but i will try to remember to post what i find out.

cresmoon
01-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the responses so far.

I know about the needles at Amazon. They're in my cart if I decide to go with them. But these look so inexpensive, I just had to ask about them first.

mountgigantic, what's an etsy store and can you provide a link to it please? (shows you how little I know). Anything you can tell me about your experience with them will be great, thanks.

suzeeq
01-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Go to etsy.com and search.

losnana
01-24-2009, 08:56 PM
If you're concerned about giving your financial info to a strange company, you can use Paypal, even if that company doesn't accept PayPal. https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_vdc-hub Paypal generates a one use card and charges you by whatever means you have listed with Paypal. I've used it numerous times with great success. Means your information is out there to one site.

Nanaof6
01-24-2009, 09:28 PM
I bought from them on eBay. Their prices were so good that I now have all sizes in, DPN'S Circulars, and straight needles.

I know you get what you pay for, but I haven't had a problem with them. I'm a fairly new knitter myself and I only have a small handful of the more pricey needles. I guess if I had been knitting for years I might notice something wrong with cheap bamboo needles. But I don't.

I did just order from KnitPicks and got their interchangeable set and I must say I do like the cable on their set. It's much more pliable then the cheap bamboo needles I have.

I use my cheap bamboo needles all the time and if needed I would order more.

Don't know if this helps. I may be the odd man out here.:out:

suzeeq
01-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Knitpicks cable is more flexible than just about any other needle, brand name or no name. I think Susan Bates has one that's close.

Marria
01-24-2009, 10:13 PM
I just got got some Knitpicks for the first time and I really like them. They are very nice. I have a bunch of Addis, but I've collected those over the years and they are fairly expensive. If they'd had the Knitpicks interchangables when I first started, I'd have definitely gone with those.

Debbie
01-25-2009, 08:06 AM
This looks like a great place for me to order needles for my Kids Knit group at school ! I have ordered many inexpensive bamboo needles from various places over the last few years and often need to use a fine grain sand paper then a good rubbing with wax paper so they are nice and smooth. That said ...
If I were going to spend 50.00 on needles for myself ... I would get go with knit picks - straight or interchangeable. I have never needed 3 sets of needles in the same size at the same time for my personal knitting .... cuz if I do, that means I either need to frog or finish !!!

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Good point. For about the same price as 3 sets of circulars, a needle set might be a better buy.

cresmoon
01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for your vastly helpful post, Nana.

I just found their etsy store and the close up pictures of the needles make them look fine to me - plus, all their feedback is positive. And I agree with you that it's not necessary to have top of the line needles when you're still learning. Would I like to get those Addi needles I keep hearing so much about? Sure. But no way in heck can I afford them, at least not right now. These seem a good alternative for "training" needles.

Besides, I could be wrong, but I don't think inexpensive always means cheap quality. Maybe they're so inexpensive because they're manufactured in China and have easy access to bamboo and don't have to pay to export it? I don't know. *shrug*

Thanks to everyone for your help.

cresmoon
01-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Okay, I was just reading the thread about comparing interchangeable sets and see all the profound love for Knit Picks needles and I'll admit you've got me curious. But I also read at some other knitting forum somewhere that the problem with KP is that they're difficult to interchange and that their metal finish tends to wear off. Thoughts on this? Anyone had these problems with their sets?

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 12:11 PM
I haven't heard that about the KP's sets at all.

cresmoon
01-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Wish I'd thought to bookmark that forum but I didn't. Some of them were saying that the finish on their needle tips was or did wear off and they were having problems changing the tips to put with a different cable length, etc. On the upside however, those who were having problems with the needles got them replaced quickly by the seller, no questions asked.

Maybe it was just a probability fluke - out of all the needles made, once in a while one of them has to come out bad.

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
And most people tend to complain about problems, but you don't always hear about good experiences unless the question is specifically asked. Early on, there was a problem with the needles coming out of the joining piece, but they were replaced and later sets didn't have that problem. Almost everyone I've heard of is very satisfied with them. I think they'd be a better deal than the bamboo sets you're proposing to buy.

Nanaof6
01-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I have Addi needles too and I have had to take one set back because the wood was snagging my good yarn. No biggy, the LYS did replace them for me. I also snapped one of my Takumi DPN'S and my Brittany DPN'S which are suppose to be better needles are developing a bow in one of the needles.

I think our Cheaper needles vs better needles is just like everything else in our lives. It's all in what one can afford in their lives at the moment. I'd love to have the best in everything I own, but sometimes it's not always financially feasible . Even on something that seems like a no brainier to one person but a cost cutting need to another ,counting pennies means ,'Yes I can do this at this moment ' The more you learn to knit the more you'll fall in love with knitting and then pampering yourself with better needles will be your treat to yourself.

My LYS gave me a tip on using the cheaper needles, if they do snag , very gently with the finest sandpaper you can find, sand them and then use wax and lightly rub it in and buff until smooth.

One instructor mentioned using the wax that one gets from the dentist that is use with braces. I got some from my dentist and used it on my cheaper needles , works great!

I still say just because they are so cheap doesn't mean there's something wrong with them and if you treat them like you paid a lot for them they should work.

This would be a super great deal if your a brownie troop leader too. Or , just trying to teach to a group of wannabe knitters.

globaltraveler
01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Even though I've never been able to get knitting to stick in my head until this year, I've always known the knit and purl stitches, and I once showed someone in the office how to knit stockinette and garter stitch using two pencils and some packing string. :mrgreen:

I did a fair amount of research before buying the KP, and I don't think I ever saw mention of the nickle finish wearing off. Not that it didn't happen, I've just never seen one mention of it...

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I once showed someone in the office how to knit stockinette and garter stitch using two pencils and some packing string. :mrgreen:

That's how I taught myself in high school. I sharpened a couple of the wooden sticks from my brother's Tinkertoys and used them with my mom's packing string.

cresmoon
01-25-2009, 05:26 PM
You've all made some good points so I'm going to think about it some more before I commit to buying anything. Only thing I know for certain right now is that I can't buy Addis because I can't afford them.

I'm not in a terrible hurry to get new needles right now, although they'd be nice. And anything I buy is bound to be nicer than the $10 plastic glitter knitting needles I picked up from Joann's, sizes 10-15, because I thought they were a good deal. Little did I know then that this set wouldn't have most of the needle sizes or types they say to use in the patterns I come across.

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Addis are not the end all and be all of knitting needles; many people who have used them for years love the knitpicks needles.

Marria
01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
And most people tend to complain about problems, but you don't always hear about good experiences unless the question is specifically asked....

Ain't that the truth!

globaltraveler
01-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Addis are not the end all and be all of knitting needles; many people who have used them for years love the knitpicks needles.

I'd agree with that totally, and I love the Addi needles -- they are different, but not enough to preclude me loving all of them. As people have said, they all have different advantages.

I'm working between different sets of 8mm/11 needles right now on the same yarn (doing different bits of the lace tunic). The KP Nickels are the slickest, which is making it easy to move this rather difficult ribbon yarn about, in fact, almost too easy for control as I'm still a beginning knitter. The Addi's are a bit more grabby, but the points aren't as sharp -- useful, because this yarn doesn't so much split as catch on anything it can. The Harmony set is the grabbiest of them all and so are taking a bit more effort to knit on, but the sharp points are lovely and it's quite easy to control the yarn.

The Harmony needles are a lot slicker than my Lantern Moon needles, which are very grabby and have a grainy feel to the knit. The LM's will be useful, I think, when I need complete control over the yarn and can deal with the blunter tip.

But definitely try the Denise needles and see if you like them. I don't like plastic/resin needles, myself, so that knowledge pretty much knocked them out for me, but as you can see, lots of people love them.

cresmoon
01-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Actually I was interested in trying Addis because I have a soft spot for European-made products. Silly, being I've never tried Addis, but hey.

Are KP's Options available in any brick and mortar stores? I know they're not available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or Joann's. Is there anyplace else I can find them or are they only available online?

globaltraveler
01-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Well, I bought my Harmony kit in a LYS here in the UK. I don't know about in the States...?

If you can afford it, buy an Addi circ in the size range you normally use most, to try it. You're talking about a significant outlay of money, whether you buy Denise, KPs, Boye, Addi or whatever. It's worth spending a few dollars to make sure you've bought something you know you will be happy with for the next few years of knitting.

cresmoon
01-26-2009, 08:18 AM
Never mind my earlier question, globetraveler. I just read that you can only buy them online in the US.

I'm thinking if the nickel-plated needles are very sharp and slippery, I should forego them till I've gotten better at knitting. As it is, I have a hard time controlling the yarn and keeping my stitches on the needle and not dropping them.

globaltraveler
01-26-2009, 10:25 AM
They're pretty slippery. I have a pretty loose tension, and it's even looser on the Nickles. I suppose you could look at it two ways, though...if you got them, yeah you might have problems with the slickness of it all...on the other hand, you'd have to become a much better knitter, much faster! :)

Well, if you like metal needles in general, but are concerned right now with control over the yarn, and have ruled out Addi (for me it was the cost), then I'd say get the KP Harmony set, because then you could just add the Nickel tips to your collection as you go. I suspect most knitters who can afford to do so have more than one type of needle around anyway, since the different kinds are so useful for different kinds of work. You'll probably want wood around for slippery yarns, but the Harmony tips are slicker than most wood, so it's a good compromise between wood and metal, in my opinion, anyway, for what that's worth!

cresmoon
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Do the KP sets ever go on sale? I haven't been visiting the site that long so I don't know about the frequencies of their sales occurrences (btw is anyone else getting a bunch of gibberish when they click on the sale link on the KP site?) $75 for the harmony set is way beyond my budget right now.

globaltraveler
01-26-2009, 05:14 PM
You could start with the three point set and collect as you go, if that makes any difference. :) I don't know about the sales, unfortunately.

Sometimes there's such a thing as too many choices, aren't there? ;)

megan734
01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
do not buy!!!!! i tried and while casting on they broke!!!! take advice from an expert.

good luck!
megan734

Marria
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Actually I was interested in trying Addis because I have a soft spot for European-made products. Silly, being I've never tried Addis, but hey.

Are KP's Options available in any brick and mortar stores? I know they're not available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or Joann's. Is there anyplace else I can find them or are they only available online?

I have several sets of Addis, but only because I got 12 sets on eBay for 75 bucks. I love them, but I couldn't afford to buy them separately.

I just got some KnitPicks Harmonies for a lace project I'm doing. I just bought one set because I wanted to try them out, and I have to say I really like the short points for the lace. The cables are just as good as Addi in my opinion.

cresmoon
01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Where do you buy Addis from in the US anyway? None of my local yarn stores have them. I can't even find them on Amazon.com, which has virtually everything, except for the ridiculously overpriced set they have for pre-order which I'd only buy if I had J.K. Rowling's bank account.

I think I'll go ahead and get the KP nickel-plated set and a cheap set of bamboo circulars off Amazon, too, just because my yarn control still needs a LOT of work and I'm worried that metal needles will be too slippery for most yarns I use. Thanks to everyone for all their advice and input.

globaltraveler
01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Are you searching for Addi or for Addis? It's Addi -- lots of places carry them, just do a google search for "Addi knitting needles"!

cresmoon
01-27-2009, 06:31 PM
There are different brands with similar names? Oy. I was talking about the German-made brand. For some reason I'm not getting very many results with google. But that's okay, I was only asking out of curiosity. Not like I'm going to buy them.

suzeeq
01-27-2009, 07:11 PM
No, there's only one brand. Everyone refers to them as Addis, but the name is really ADDI knitting needles. Which btw, can be found here http://www.yarnmarket.com/knitting/Addi_Knitting_Needles-564.html for one place to buy them. If you do a google search for "addi knitting needles", you'll get hundreds of hits.

mountgigantic
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
*edit: i am referring to the DPN set i bought on etsy. Not Addi's or Knitpicks*

i finally got mine in the mail.
my first impression...they are not bad.
the tiny ones (0-4) seem a little flimsy but i would expect that on such small bamboo needles. i think if i were to use those sizes, i would get some nice nickel plated DPN's.

the bigger ones (5-15) are nice to work with. the points aren't super sharp, so if you like a sharper needle, they could be sanded. i like them a little blunter. i've already got about two inches on a hat on size 10's ( my 2nd one ever :) )

i'm pretty satisfied with them. not counting the 4 smaller sets (that i probably will never use) i only paid $20 for ten sets of DPN's that are completly fine to work with.

that being said, i still wouldn't mind a set of Addi Circulars :)

MarisaLoveCat
03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi, all! I've been lurking for some time but finally decided to join up because I'm a VERY novice knitter and could really use some help (only learned the knit, purl, and cast on and cast off so far and have made nothing but scarves but I hope to make some progress soon!)

Anyway, my question is this: has anyone heard of/bought from this seller of bamboo needles?

http://www.8season-knitting.com/

I was thinking of buying from them because their prices are so cheap but I'm a little wary of buying online from sellers I don't know anything about. And it's complicated because even though their seller ratings are so good, they're in China so it won't be as easy buying or returning if I have to. And with the prices that low, I'm a little worried about the quality of their needles. But with them I can get 3 sets of needles, about 15 pairs per set, for about $45, s/h included. Yes, really. It almost sounds too good to be true. I emailed the seller and she seems nice enough and I'm really tempted. Only big concern of mine is that the needles won't be good quality and I have to put in my payment info online (which I've done before but only with Amazon).

Anyone use this seller before or know anything about them? I figured if anyone would, it would be someone here. Thanks in advance.

Btw, that knitting smilie is so cute!
I feel great security about their products and service after i reading their customer testimony here (http://www.8season-knitting.com/page.html?chapter=0&id=8)

imrachel
03-07-2009, 11:53 PM
I would be very, very cautious about these cheap bamboo needles. I had a set of each, the straights, the circs and the dpns. Half of the circs came out of the plastic tubing and I couldn't manage to get them put back together, and after a couple of months, I found buggie, wormy sawdust at the bottom of most of the packages. Whether they came with little friends, or are just very attractive to ones I may live with, I do not know. But here's the thing to remember with knitting needles: if you get good ones, you may spend a lot of $$, but they don't spoil or deteriorate and can last a life time. Worth the investment, in my opinion.

Kattra
03-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I know this may sounds really silly but dose any one have any idea why I can't fined apple wood needles?

imrachel
03-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Don't know, but if you really, really want to pursue it, you might try to get some apple wood blocks from a wood supplier (maybe www.northwoodssmokeofmn.com?) and then contact www.winterroseneedles.com or www.booksyarnmore.com and see if they'll do it for you.