PDA

View Full Version : Question with children's socks

NightAngel
01-24-2009, 11:08 PM
I want to make a pair of socks for my niece. I found a size chart telling me what size foot she would be based on her foot measurements. My question is how do you know how many stitches to cast on to make different size socks? If anyone can help with an answer I would greatly appreciate it.:frog:

Lisa R.
01-24-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm much better at just reading a pattern, that doing the math---but if you know the circumference of the foot and your gauge, you cast on the number of stitches it takes to fit the foot. (i.e., if the foot is 7 inches around, and your gauge is 7 st =1 inch...then you'd cast on 49 stitches. You'd adjust as necessary for a pattern repeat--for instance if you're supposed to cast on multiples of 5 plus 1, you'd choose either 46 (45+1 or) 51 (50 +1).

Hope that helps.

teachermom
01-25-2009, 09:22 AM
There is a book by Ann Budd that I use all the time... The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. (http://www.amazon.com/Knitters-Handy-Book-Patterns-Interweave/dp/1931499047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232889514&sr=1-1) I linked to the Amazon page about the book. It takes the basics, socks, hats, sweaters, etc... and gives you CO and knitting directions for different sizes and gauges. I like it because I can make anything for my kids, DH, or myself without having to go buy a bunch of patterns. It is just the basic, so if you want to add cables or patterns, you will have to caculate the pattern into the item you are working on. It is a handy little book to have around.

NightAngel
01-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much. What you guys have posted makes sense to me now. Now i can start knitting her socks for her. Thanks again!

cloud9 :knitting: