PDA

View Full Version : Designing a pattern?

TEMA
01-25-2009, 02:31 AM
:waving: I'm making myself some lovely yarn by putting a softee chunky yarn with some thin multi-coloured yarn. I love the way it looks when knit together.
The trouble is... I can't find a pattern I like and one for which I have enough wool for a sweater... simple and easy...
Here's what I'm looking for....
Top down (hopefully, tho' I've never done it before) st. st. (which means I knit every round), no collar to speak of, loose without much fitting, short or mid-length sleeves. I want to do the ribbing with the same needle I'm knitting the rest of the sweather with, except it will be ribbing not st. st.... same for the sleeves.
I want it to end below my waist so I don't show off my tubby tummy...:aww:
Any ideas on where I can find such a pattern, or close to it... or how I can managed to construct my own pattern... keeping in mind that I'm relatively new to knitting. Even tho' I did a lot of knitting at one time... that was 30 years ago and I've forgotten.
Thanks,
TEMA
:knitting:

Marria
01-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Here is a "template" more than a pattern for a top down raglan. You use your measurements and your gauge to fill in the blanks for your sweater and it's very customizable.

Incredible Custom Fit Raglan Sweater (http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html)

suzeeq
01-25-2009, 10:59 AM
There's also pattern generators for top down raglans at www.knittingfool.com and www.thedietdiary.com/blog that work like the one Marria posted the link to. The last site also has one for a top down yoked sweater.

TEMA
01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Thank you, both of you! You have given me some good things to look at. The Incredible Custom fit sweater is perfect. I knew I'd seen it somewhere but was totally unable to find it again. But I've printed it out now so I have it.
I've also bookmarked the other one because it has good info on getting gauge... something I really need.
It's so nice of you to reply to my question.
Thanks again! :muah:
TEMA
:knitting:

outdoordrea
01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Here is a "template" more than a pattern for a top down raglan. You use your measurements and your gauge to fill in the blanks for your sweater and it's very customizable.

Incredible Custom Fit Raglan Sweater (http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html)
Have you ever made a sweater from this pattern?

Marria
01-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Yes, a cotton baby sweater. I made it with quite a bit of ease though for my niece when she was about a year old so she'd have room to grow into it.