PDA

View Full Version : Tunisian Crochet

knitpurlgurl
01-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Anyone here tunisian crochet? I'd like to give it a go, but need some more info on it. I've checked out the NexStitch videos and it looks like something I could get into. Any suggestions on videos or websites? Thanks in advance!! :sun:

MGM
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Funny you should ask! I am just about to begin some videos on exactly that! I'll post info here once I have them up on my website. I'll be starting with the basics and then showing some variations on the stitches too....another idea with Tunisian is also brewing in my head which I'll share once I have it all worked out. So keep an eye on www.hookedonneedles.com

MGM

cheley
01-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Check out this one:http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/tunisian_crochet.php

mathwizard
01-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Try this link: http://www.iamintheloop.com/artofcrochet/guides.php
You know it goes by other names. Such as afghan crochet, croknit and more.

cgd
01-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I've done a few things with it, but the curling is something I can't seem to tame, so I feel more comfortable with regular crochet. But it's fun to experiment! There is an Encyclopedia of Tunisian Crochet. I can't remember the website, but you can probably Google and find it. It's a great resource of Tunisian stitches.

mathwizard
01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
If you don't get the free newsletter with Carol Alexander then you should. In one of her recent newsletters was an article concerning curling. Here is a link:
http://www.freepatterns.com/content/content.html?content_cat_id=3&type_id=N&month=11&year=2008

I hope you will give it another try and cure the curls.:cheering:

Craw
01-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I did a dishcloth in the basic Tunisian crochet stitch. It was fun! I did a few rounds of single crochet as a border around the edges and blocked it and that seemed to tame the curl. I used the Nexstitch videos as well.

Mike
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Try this link: http://www.iamintheloop.com/artofcrochet/guides.php
You know it goes by other names. Such as afghan crochet, croknit and more.

Cro-Knit/Crochet-on-the-double is different than Tunisian/Afghan Stitch, using a double hook.
But if you can do one you should be able to do the other, it's just easier to lose your place with On-the-double.

knitpurlgurl
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Funny you should ask! I am just about to begin some videos on exactly that! I'll post info here once I have them up on my website. I'll be starting with the basics and then showing some variations on the stitches too....another idea with Tunisian is also brewing in my head which I'll share once I have it all worked out. So keep an eye on www.hookedonneedles.com

MGM

I can't wait! I just watched a couple of your videos and they're terriific! I'm sure the tunisian videos will be awesome as well!

merryknitter
01-27-2009, 01:15 PM
I too, am looking forward to Mary Grace's Videos on Tunisian Crochet.

I want to crochet that Tunisian Short Row Cloth on Ravelry..it's a free pattern. I can't get past row 1...LOL! But I'm not giving up. I've watched the videos that are out there for tunisian and I think it's really cool...I want to learn it too!

Merry :)

MGM
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I've been working on my Tunisian samples and I have finished the cloth pattern that Merry found on Ravelry. I even contacted the creator of that pattern and received permission to share his pattern on my site.

So...I'll be firing up my camera in the next day or two for a couple videos on the basics of Tunisian, then I will do one on the short row pattern. Tomorrow we are supposed to be getting lots and lots of snow, so perhaps I'll be stuck in the house and won't have to run kids here and there. If so, I'll be able to get them done sooner than I thought! Yippee!

I'm so glad there are a few of you out there who are looking forward to these videos...makes it so much more fun to do!

MGM

merryknitter
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey Mary Grace,
I finally figured the tunisian short row cloth out today....oh my gosh...I've tried a bazillion times and was getting so frustrated! LOL! Anyways, we too, have a snow day today, so I picked it up, yet once again and I'm on my 4th wedge....I can't wait for your videos...that will be a great help to all!
Tunisian Crochet is pretty amazing!

merryknitter
01-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Persistance pays off for sure! Tunisian Crochet is so fun! Just what I need....another project. I kept trying and trying to figure out that Tunisian Short Row Cloth on Ravelry...and finally, it clicked. I have to say...it goes really fast! I've crocheted 4 in 2 days...thanks to the Snowstorm that hit us in Ohio...gotta love that snow!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/merry384/Crochet/ChristmasTunisian.jpg
and
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/merry384/Crochet/TunisianCloths.jpg

Merry...now back to knitting!

MGM
01-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Merry, you are something else! Great job on those beautiful dish cloths! I did mine in the pastel variegated and just love how it turned out. My 4 yr old loved it too...she wanted to know if I made it just for her...such a girly girl!

I taped my first two Tunisian videos but haven't had a chance to edit them yet. I plan to do one video on each of about 10 different Tunisian stitches plus one on the dish cloth pattern.

Keep going Merry! You are very inspiring!

MGM

knitpurlgurl
01-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Persistance pays off for sure! Tunisian Crochet is so fun! Just what I need....another project. I kept trying and trying to figure out that Tunisian Short Row Cloth on Ravelry...and finally, it clicked. I have to say...it goes really fast! I've crocheted 4 in 2 days...thanks to the Snowstorm that hit us in Ohio...gotta love that snow!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/merry384/Crochet/ChristmasTunisian.jpg
and
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/merry384/Crochet/TunisianCloths.jpg

Merry...now back to knitting!

WOW I hope I can do this someday!! :)

merryknitter
01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Hey KnitPurl Girl,
Really and truly...it is very easy...you'll see once you look at Mary Grace's videos...she's a great teacher....you'll be whipping these up in no time. I started my 5th one yesterday...they go lots faster than knitting (no offense intended)!
Happy Crocheting!

MGM
01-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Hello ladies! I just wanted to let you know that my first Tunisian video will be on my website in the morning, that is Sat, Jan 31 after 7am eastern time.

I'm having fun with Tunisian right now and can't wait to share more videos and other fun ideas with you. The Short Row dishcloth that Merry made will be coming soon too. I won't wait until I've finished all the different stitches to do that pattern. I don't want to torture anyone! I'm aiming for next week sometime.

Have a good weekend!

MGM

merryknitter
01-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Hey Mary Grace,
I can't wait to check out your video tomorrow! And...I can't wait to learn more stitches...it's just so different and I really like it!

My knitting friends and I got together today and we celebrated my friend's Birthday...so we gave her a tunisian hook, and some yarn and we taught her how to do the tunisian short row cloth....she did great...it was fun!:cheering:

I'm so glad you'll be showing us some more stitches in tunisian....I am excited to have a new project!:muah:
Talk to you soon!

biztec
01-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Anyone here tunisian crochet? I'd like to give it a go, but need some more info on it. I've checked out the NexStitch videos and it looks like something I could get into. Any suggestions on videos or websites? Thanks in advance!! :sun:
Tunisian Crochet is a lot of fun and very relaxing. You can even use this method to create items which look exactly like they are knitted. The only downside is that they are quite thick and heavy. I recently saw an article about creating something with tunisian and then embroidering it or using duplicate stitch. It was really pretty.

MGM
02-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Here's my Tunisian Short Row Dishcloth, just like Merry's. The first one I did was the pastel variegated which I just LOVE!

My video on this pattern will be on my site soon. I just finished editing it tonight. What fun! I will warn you though, it is LONG! Just shy of 18 minutes, but anyone should be able to do it after watching this video!

I'll also have more Tunisian stitches out soon and a tutorial on how to do embroidery on Tunisian. Lot's of good stuff coming up!

MGM

merryknitter
02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh Mary Grace...that is so very pretty! What is the name of that yarn? Love the pastels! Everyone loves them! They are nice, aren't they?

I just finished a thread crochet project...the fan bookmark from Ravelry....it is so pretty!

I'm going to try and post a picture tonight! Can't wait for that video of the tunisian...I have a friend that just can't wrap her brain around it....I think the video will help her a lot!
God Bless You,

MGM
02-10-2009, 10:40 AM
The Tunisian Short Row Dishcloth video is finally posted! You can find it here (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/02/tunisian-short-row-dishcloth-video.html).

I hope you find it helpful.

Also be sure to check out the link at the very end of the post for a project using Tunisian Short Row. It is something else!

MGM

merryknitter
02-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Mary Grace...awesome video...it turned out great...watched the whole thing....it will really be helpful to anyone that would like to try tunisian crochet...it is truly easy and so much fun!
Thanks a whole bunch!

MGM
02-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh Mary Grace...that is so very pretty! What is the name of that yarn? Love the pastels! Everyone loves them! They are nice, aren't they?

I just finished a thread crochet project...the fan bookmark from Ravelry....it is so pretty!

I'm going to try and post a picture tonight! Can't wait for that video of the tunisian...I have a friend that just can't wrap her brain around it....I think the video will help her a lot!
God Bless You,

Hi Merry, so glad you like it! It was fun and I have you to thank for pointing me to this pattern! Your bookmark is lovely too. :heart:

The yarn I used for the pastel dishcloth is Lily's Sugar 'n Cream Pretty Pastels. I bought it at Walmart. I am going to make one for each of my Pay It Forward gifts, along with a few other nice things. And I will probably make more for school fundraisers and other gifts. What a great little project! :thumbsup:

MGM

MGM
03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
FYI, I just posted a pattern for a face cloth on my website that all you lovers of Tunisian crochet might enjoy!

It can be found by clicking HERE (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/03/tunisian-crochet-duck-pattern.html).

I'll have other patterns up soon and a mystery project as well!

MGM

merryknitter
03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Hey Mary Grace,
Your little duck pattern is adorable, of course! Could I use my J hook or should I buy a K? I think a J is a 10 and a K is a 10 1/2! What do you think?
Thanks,

MGM
03-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Go for it! A J should work just fine. I like K just because Tunisian seems to beg for a much bigger hook than usual!

Send a picture!

MGM

MGM
04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
I just posted a new Tunisian Crochet dishcloth pattern on my website in case anyone is interested in adding something new to the linen closet!

Go check it out HERE (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2009/04/sunny-new-crocheted-dishcloth-pattern.html)!

It will brighten up even the gloomiest of days!

MGM