PDA

View Full Version : newly discovered knitting hazard!

cmhoover1
01-26-2009, 12:40 AM
This is probably something that could only happen to me...I am working on a second sock (knitty.com "straight-laced") and left it in my chair when taking a break. When I sat down, one of the skinny sock needles stabbed me in the thigh!!! OWWWWW!:roflhard:

Gertie
01-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Ouch! You're laughing, so I guess you're gonna be ok.

I admire your nerve for telling us. :teehee:

cmhoover1
01-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Oh, it's ok. It was one of those nice Addi turbo jobs-stainless steel, I think. I don't mind people thinking I'm a bit of a dork...these things happen to me all the time. :)

Marria
01-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Had a tetanus shot lately? ;)

Seriously though, if it went in very deep at all and you haven't had one in the last 7 years or 10 years (I can never remember which one) you should think about it.

Leave the needle behind and it will lurk, waiting for your return. Then :biting:

dairywife
01-26-2009, 02:22 AM
This sounds like something I would do!

As for the Tetanus shot, it is good for 10 years unless there is a high risk accident. Like a rusty nail or something. Your dpn's would not be high risk.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-26-2009, 02:43 AM
actually, you're not the first person I've heard of with sock knitting injuries... there's a woman on my parenting board that was knitting socks, set her needles and project down (including the working needle that didn't have any stitches on it) because her kids were into something, went to sit back down and the working needle was missing...

She ended up stepping on it, not only bending the needle but driving it in about 1/2 an inch between two of her toes...

PHOENIXMOON
01-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey All,
Do these knitting needle related incidents qualify?

1. Sat on size 12/2/2.75mm aluminium needle (landed nearer my bum than the thigh and I couldnt sit down on it for a while!)

2. Slept (yes you read it correctly, I fell asleep with one of my projects!) I woke with a bad ache/jabbing pain in and around my elbow. What I presume happened (keep in mind I was asleep at the time!) was the point of the needle was in between the bones of my elbow, the base of the needle pushed against the matress to provide the force. the 'nap' was a couple of hours! -Oh, did I mention these were my Brittany wooden 19/16.00mm needles!

The cure by the way, for both of these, were to get a cup of tea and continue knitting!:woohoo: :knitting: :yay:
~*Phoenix*~