PDA

View Full Version : Knitting my first pair of socks

Aimée P.
01-26-2009, 09:08 PM
I"m knitting my first pair of socks - and if getting used to working on TWO circular needles isn't enough, apparently I'm having issues with doing "yarn-over's" (Knitwise & purlwise)...I've watched the videos on this site, which have been very helpful, but I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right. Am I to assume that I treat those extra loops on the needle as stiches to be knit/purled into? I've been doing this, but it seems like I have millions of extra stiches in my work, and I can barely maniuplate them. The pattern I'm supposed to work is as follows (for the part before you turn the heel)

Row 1: sl 1 with yfwd, *K1 with yback* till last stitch. K1.
Row 1: sl1 w/ yfwd, P1...Do this all the way to the last stitch..K1.
...and then I'm suppoed to do this 'tll the work measures 2.5 " then start working short rows for the heel....

If anyone can pls. let me know if I'm doing something wrong, it'd be much appreciated! (My mother, bless her, gave me a sock pattern book for Christmas not knowing that I would have such a hard time with it...and I need to make her feel like her gift wasn't in vain :P)

Marria
01-26-2009, 09:12 PM
From the way I am reading the pattern, you shouldn't be doing yarn-overs at all. Yarn forward is a term that is used interchangeably, but the way I read this pattern, sl1 with yfwd means to slip 1 stitch with the yarn held in front. Maybe that's the issue?

WandaT
01-27-2009, 07:50 AM
I think Marria is right. "w/yfwd" means simply to bring your yarn to the front, as if to purl, and slip your stitch - then bring your yarn to the back and knit as normal. You aren't yarning over to make another stitch.

RuthieinMaryland
01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi, Aimee! :waving:

Marria's exactly right! You're not intended to create extra stitches with yarn overs, but to create a special textured heel flap on your sock that gives you a reinforced section to help prevent wear and tear where the sock will slide into the shoe. Moving the yarn forward and then back on the next stitch will do that without creating extra stitches.

And don't worry... the best way to learn knitting socks is to knit socks! I'd be willing to bet that if we could calculate total, worldwide figures on yardage frogged, socks (especially first socks!) would probably account for a high percentage!

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Ruthie