PDA

View Full Version : Neck Shaping HELP!

SandyD
01-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I am new at knitting and hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew! ;) Here are my instructions:

Next Row (WS) Work 13 sts, join another ball of yarn, BO 6 center neck sts, work to end. Working both sides of neck at the same time, BO 3 sts at neck edge next 2 rows, then 2 sts next 2 rows. Place rem 8 sts on holders for shoulders.

I join another ball of yarn and BO 6 sts and work to the end and this is where I get messed up. How do I keep this straight? I would appreciate any help on this. My yarn shop doesn't have anyone to guide me through this since I didn't buy my pattern from them only the yarn...thanks..Sandy

Spokaloo
01-30-2009, 06:10 PM
First, I think that's rather rude of your yarn shop to refuse to help you just because you didn't buy the pattern there! After all, you DID buy your yarn from them!

Now to your question! Here's what you need to do:

Once you work that "Next Row", you will have 2 sections -- let's call them A and B -- containing 13 sts each and they will each have their own yarn with which to work them. From this point on, you will work each section using ONLY the yarn attached to that section.

Following Row: Work all 13 sts in Section A, switch to Section B and BO the first 3 sts (this is the neck edge), then work to the end. Sect A=13 sts, Sect B=10 sts.

Next Row: Work all 10 sts in Sect B (last section worked). Switch to Sect A and BO first 3 sts, then work to the end. Sect A=10 sts, Sect B=10 sts.

Next Row: Work all 10 sts in Sect A (last section worked). Switch to Sect B and BO first 2 sts and work to the end. Sect A=10 sts, Sect B=8 sts.

Next Row: Work 8 sts in Sect B. Switch to Sect A and BO first 2 sts, then work to the end. Both sections should now have 8 sts which you will put on holders for the shoulders.

I hope that helps. Good Luck!:muah:

SandyD
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Thank you so much! I think I am getting the picture now!

Mulderknitter
01-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Spokaloo's response is dead on. I am actually working on a pullover that requires the same method for the neck. Very confusing at first, just try to get thru it. And I'm doing this neck for the 2nd time, so don't feel bad that it confused you!:muah:

SandyD
01-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I am sooooo.... stubborn, I will keep trying. This will be the second time that I have ripped it out. It is the Girl's Smocked Coat from Blue Sky Alpacas and it is so adorable--my granddaughter will love it. Thanks for your encouragement.

Marria
01-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Don't give up--I've found that ripping is an integral part of learning to knit something new! :)