PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter where you add an increase (or decrease) in a row?

knittygritty
01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm working on the Great American Afghan (Block 14). The pattern says to cast on 55 stitches, then decrease 2 on the last row. Another row requires that you increase 2, but doesn't specify where or what type of increase. Does it matter?:knitting: Thanks!!

Marria
01-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Where I would put it depends on the shape of the piece I'm knitting. For a sweater, I typically put increases and decreases one or two stitches in from the edge. But since this is an afghan, I'm assuming that you are increasing to make the pattern stitch work. In that case, I'd do one of them 1/3 of the way into the row and the other one 2/3 of the way into the row (or approximately that if the stitch count doesn't let you work it out exactly).

ETA:
Forgot to answer your other question--the increase type doesn't matter too much, but some will make a little hole in the fabric. You can look at the increase videos here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases) to see which one you like the best.

knittygritty
01-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks! I'd held off going any further until I knew what I was doing. Now I can knit-and since we're snowed in here, I'm really anxious to get started.:woohoo:

Marria
01-31-2009, 12:26 PM
And what better thing to do if you're snowed in than knit? :)

You should post progress pics in the "Whatcha Knittin'" forum as you get going on your afghan. I'd love to see it.