PDA

View Full Version : SNOW IN LONDON ,UK

ritaw
02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
We have had the biggest snow fall in London for 18 years . Here is my son Luke making snow angels :)

Denise in Michigan
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Snow angels are one of the best things about snow! How many centimeters did you have?

Simply_Renee
02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
When I saw the snow report for London (it is making news here in the states!) I thought of you!

Glad to see you're enjoying it!

sue in canada
02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Great pictures Rita. It will probably be on our news tonight too. Will let you know.

Karina
02-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Rita I am so jealous. I live in Frinton, Essex and we got maybe an inch not enough to cover the grass. it is now raining and what little we did get is just about gone. DH had big problems getting into work in the west end this morning.

cftwo
02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I head that Paris got hit with lots of snow, too.

Jan in CA
02-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh how cute! Enjoy it while it lasts!

Ronda
02-02-2009, 05:37 PM
It's pretty! At least everyone had a bit of fun! (Right?)

OffJumpsJack
02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I want snow too! Me might have a tiny bit of flurries overnight, here but man I want snow like you got!

Big fluffy flakes of it!

:thumbsup:

--Jack

rachejm
02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
We had some in Birmingham too! My feet got very wet on the way in to campus. When I went to the shop earlier there were some guys building a snowman in the street and I've had to keep watching out for badly thrown snowballs.

ritaw
02-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Luke's school is shut today and yesterday . Hubby has gone to work by train today . :) Too much ice out there .
We are supposed to have more by the end of the week . Not as much though .

Marria
02-03-2009, 09:44 AM
I was listening to BBC radio last night and heard about this. Crazy! I'm glad you are enjoying it. :)

Fee
02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Love the photos of the snow! We live in northern Canada so we get lots but used to live in England and know how everything must be in chaos there! Like here the kids love it when there is a snow day-enjoy it while it lasts!

Sunshine's Mom
02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Am I missing something? Is it unusual to have snow in London?

momwolf
02-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Rita how cute is Luke making snowangels:hug: Great pics!!
Stay indoors today and stay warm.I'm sure Luke won't :roflhard:

ritaw
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM

It has not snowed like this in 18 years or so . In London we are lucky if we get a little snow for a day and it is gone the following day .
I do remember as a child we used to have lots of snow that lasted for a week or two. But the weather has changed over the years and we are lucky to get any at all. It does still snow heavily in higher places but not so much here .

Julie _ Glad you liked the pics . Luke was so funny yesterday . He was out there for hours. His dad gave up and came in and left Luke out there lol:roflhard:

cftwo
02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I do think it's cute to see/hear the reactions of people who don't usually get snow to snow. About this time I've year I'm thinking in 4-letter words whenever I hear the "s word". And I am getting to the point where I am even more determined to buy a house with sheltered parking this year so I don't have to scrape my car as often next year. But when you haven't seen it in a while, or you only get it once a year - it is awfully pretty. :)

OffJumpsJack
02-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Anyone who's read about Holmes, knows London only gets FOG. LOL :)

I don't think getting snow was the event, it was the amount of snow they got. The largest snowfall in 18 years.

I even heard from a friend down in the south of England that they saw snow down there. My friend is a Ranger in a park somewhere near London (though she is from the York area).

Well, Google maps was of little help since there are seemingly dozens upon dozens of parks in England.

--Jack

Sunshine's Mom
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
So, how cold does it get there in the winter months? I knww you have foggy days and lots of rain, but I'm curious about the snow thing. I assumed your weather was like mine (dumb, I know) in upstate NY. How much did you get anyway? Like some others, I'm ready for spring already. The snow's not pretty anymore. It's grey and dirty.

ritaw
02-03-2009, 01:27 PM
We got about 9 inches here in London where i am . It is still out there now .

DQ
02-03-2009, 02:12 PM
not much here in Merseyside. We've not had more than an inch yesterday! I don't think it's snowed at all today, it's been sunny :shrug:

Marria
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I do think it's cute to see/hear the reactions of people who don't usually get snow to snow. About this time I've year I'm thinking in 4-letter words whenever I hear the "s word". And I am getting to the point where I am even more determined to buy a house with sheltered parking this year so I don't have to scrape my car as often next year. But when you haven't seen it in a while, or you only get it once a year - it is awfully pretty. :)

I've lived in Idaho most of my life and some decent snowfalls aren't that unusual here. When I lived in Olympia, WA, though, it snowed 6 inches one winter and everyone was freaking out. (Although earlier this winter, Seattle got a bunch of snow and it pretty much shut the city down from what I understand.)

I took my camera to downtown Olympia and took pictures of the sailboats covered in snow. The seagulls were kind of freaking out too! :teehee:

mks22300
02-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Luke looks like he had a blast out in the snow! :)