PDA

View Full Version : Help on a stitch in a hat pattern

starphoenix
02-03-2009, 02:43 AM
I'm trying to make a hat for my sister, and there's a kind of stitch I'm not familiar with, and I keep trying different ways of doing it, but none of them seem right because I don't seem to be able to duplicate the method all of the time due to the way the pattern lays itself. Heres the pattern: http://tangleknits.blogspot.com/2008/12/helens-beret.html and the stitch i'm having trouble with is the m1 and m1p as it is described in there. I've been looking around for something similar, and i found the increases videos on this site and I think one of them is the right one, but I dont know which. Can someone help me please? This is really frustrating.

Thanks!

Mirl56
02-03-2009, 08:08 AM
She gives you pretty good directions right in the pattern how to do the m1's, knit or purling.

Abbreviations:
m1: pick up the horizontal strand between the next two stitches and knit it from the back (so it twists and doesn't make a hole.)

m1p: pick up the horizontal strand between the next two stitches and purl it from the back (so it twists and doesn't make a hole.)

As to the m1 videos, I'm not real sure if it's going to matter which one you follow, as long as you twist the picked up strand so there's no hole.

Marria
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I think part of the confusion here is that m1 is used for several different techniques. For example, Elizabeth Zimmerman's make 1 is to add a stitch like you would for a backward loop cast on. (In the videos, this one is m1a or m1t, depending on how you align the loop.)

For the exact stitches in your pattern:

For the stitch called m1 in your pattern, you want to look at the m1B video (make one back) for the proper technique.

For the stitch called m1p in your pattern, you want to look at the link in the same paragraph as the description of the m1B video where it talks about doing it on the purl side.

But, having said that, I also think Marilyn is absolutely right. As long as you get the results you want, you can use pretty much any increase method you like. Even if it doesn't look exactly like the pattern, but you're happy with it, it's OK. :thumbsup:

suzeeq
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
m1: pick up the horizontal strand between the next two stitches and knit it from the back (so it twists and doesn't make a hole.)

m1p: pick up the horizontal strand between the next two stitches and purl it from the back (so it twists and doesn't make a hole.)

And in these directions, it might be easier to think of knitting or purling the stitch "through the back loop" rather than `from the back'. However you do it, just make sure the sts twist.

starphoenix
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
My biggest question I guess is that it says "pick up the horizontal strand between the next two stitches" and to me that means the strand between the two stitches on the left needle, not the strand between the two needles. Is that wrong or am I still missing something, because doing that is rather hard

suzeeq
02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
It's worded poorly. You pick up the strand between 2 sts, the one you just knit and the next one.

starphoenix
02-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Perfect :) thanks a bunch, I'm sure itll be much much easier now