PDA

View Full Version : Do you block everything?

swcheng15
02-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I recently read an article/blog (http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/05/block_me_amadeus_1.html) about someone blocking everything.

I was just curious to know what you block and what kind of yarn do you do more or less blocking with?

Ps. I've never blocked anything (intentionally) so this is a newbie question. ;)

Thanks!

Jan in CA
02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Most fibers (other than acrylic type yarns) benefit from blocking, but it isn't always necessary.

swcheng15
02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I've mainly knit with acrylics, but have now moved to wool and wool blends...I guess it'll depend on the pattern and what I'm making then.

suzeeq
02-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Even with wool, I don't always like the blocked effect, seems to flatten them out. I like using larger needles than any pattern ever uses and that opens up lace knitting similar to blocking.

vaknitter
02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't tend to block anything. I blocked a scarf and hat once and didn't like at all how it looked so haven't blocked since then.

Marria
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't block synthetics because there's really no point. I do usually block other items, but especially when it's lace, to "open up" the pattern, if the item doesn't lay flat, and if it will make seaming easier.

rachael72knitter
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
I do when I think it could use some straightening up a bit, esp. if there are YO or something like that.

Usually my way of "blocking" is to wash it on delicate in the washing machine and then dry it flat.

loveswildflowers
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I am obsessive-compulsive about blocking certain things. I knit with a lot of wool, alpaca, and sometimes mohair. I find that those fibers really "bloom" and look lovely after blocking.

Also I love to do stranded colorwork and lace (I've only ever used wool and/or alpaca for this type of knitting). Blocking really evens out colorwork and it makes lace look beautiful and shapely.

However, when I make acrylic baby items, I don't really see the need for it unless I've accidentally sat on it or mushed it up inside my knitting bag!

cdjack
02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
I block most natural fibers, especially if something just isn't hanging just right. And I've found that there is nothing better for acrylics than a trip to the washer and dryer.

swcheng15
02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the responses! It's good to know that blocking isn't necessarily a MUST. :wink:

deltadelta48
02-04-2009, 05:21 PM
also knitted (and crochet) doilies look much better if you block them out. Matter of using a piece of bulletin board/foam/cork and lots of straight pins. Wet, wring, then put on board, pull out from center and pin from center out. Let dry (give a spritz of spray starch). It just makes the details pop. If it is pressed with an iron, it loses all the detail and is flattened out. :knitting:

MerigoldinWA
02-04-2009, 06:08 PM
For years it seemed that most of the things I knit, the final instructions on the pattern were, "Do not block". I think that is because the yarns suggested were mostly acrylic. Blocking is nice and most things can benefit from a little blocking, but it depends what you mean by blocking. I don't suggest ironing or heat treating everything. A lot of projects look fine without blocking of any kind but even they look a little better as some have said after washing and drying, or laying flat to dry. I rarely pin anything out.

As someone said lace needs it, at least in some fibers. I made a cashmere lace scarf once and it looked pretty awful before blocking, but beautiful afterward. I usually just wet block when I do it. Wet, or wash the item and flatten it out, pin it as needed (with the scarf I even used blocking wires).

I have seen even an acrylic baby sweater look a little better after being wet (you can spray too) and flattened and left to dry.

So do it if you want, but don't feel that you are a failure as a person if you don't block. :-)

swcheng15
02-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks! I was just curious to know whether I was missing the "final" step in things or not. It seems like, Not. yay!

heatherg23
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I used to but it's just a waste of time. Nothing ever stays put after I take those pins out. I spray and I steam and I get nowhere. I dont know how I can do anything in stockinette stitch when blocking doesn't work.

Marria
02-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Heather-have you ever tried wet blocking? Sometimes that's the only way I can make it work.

I will say that blocking doesn't make stockinette not curl, at least not in my experience. The only way I can do that is by adding a border. But when I'm making lace, it never looks very good until I block it.

suzeeq
02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
If your fiber is acrylic, it doesn't block.