PDA

View Full Version : Learned Magic Loop and matching increases!

globaltraveler
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Magic Loop -- piece of cake. Can't say that I find it any more or less fiddly than DPNs, but it's nice not needing the extra bits. Increases -- took me a while to remember which way the bar goes on the needle -- had to sit with the laptop in front of me and play the vid for each increase to remind me for quite a few rows, but I finally got it.

I try to learn at least one new thing with each project, sometimes two or three new things, and don't think I'd manage it very easily without KH!

Have to say a humongous THANKS to Amy and Sheldon! In the absence of an experienced knitter anywhere close by, your vids and forum have been a lifesaver and really helpful!

Marria
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
That's awesome. :thumbsup: Learning a new knitting skill is such a great feeling!

dustinac
02-05-2009, 08:54 PM
:rofl: Ok your avatar made me laugh out loud!

That is great, I really like Magic Loop too :yay:

globaltraveler
02-05-2009, 09:21 PM
I love Bucky Katt, mainly because I always think my cat Magpie is channelling Bucky, or perhaps Bucky is channelling Maggie. :)

Learning knitting is so cool! I've wanted to be able to knit since I was five, but could never seem to get the hang of it, so it's actually fulfilling a lifelong dream for me to actually be knitting! I feel so lucky to be able to say that. :) I've made things for myself and for other people all my life, but always felt so weirded out that I couldn't seem to get knitting to stick in my brain in any significant way. I've no idea why it stuck now, but I'm glad it did.

tokmom
02-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Lucky you to learn! I can't seem to wrap my brain around it. Happy knitting!

TEMA
02-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Hi,
I love magic loop too.... so glad I saw the video on it before I had to use it... when the time came, I knew just what to do...:woot: I haven't learned the way of the bar when one is increasing so I'll have to get onto that.
Love this site!:inlove:
TEMA
:knitting:

globaltraveler
02-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I actually now look at patterns a bit differently -- "hey, I don't need those DPNs, I can just use a circular needle!"

cliffhanger
02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
I love the magic loop method. A newbie to knitting. Just the past 2 years. But I really don't own any other kind of needle but 40 and 60 inch circulars. They are so versatile, you can knit flat, circular or in the round. I have made scarves, hats, socks, mittens, even baby sweaters. Only wish there were more patterns written for the magic loop. I have to recreate some instructions. Keeps the mind sharp.

globaltraveler
02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Well, in my case, maybe "sharpER" is the right word, because I'm proving that "sharp" certainly isn't right! I don't think I've ever started over again quite so many times before... :)

knitpurlgurl
02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Love-Love-Love magic loop - especially for socks! ButI've knit pumpkins, hats, and seamless heart using it also. I'll never again use DPNs. Once you've done a couple of projects in ML - you'll see that it's not fiddley at all. I also LOVE being able to try on my socks while knitting them!

Ginnyb
02-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I am one of the strange people who enjoy working with DPN's, I can't seem to get Magic Loop
Ginny

Debkcs
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Ginny, you're such a good knitter,you'd be able to get magic loop with the videos.

I don't dpn's at all anymore,either. As stated above, too fiddly.

Magic loop is easy for me if I just forget about the piece I'm not working on.

globaltraveler
02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I find DPNs to be strangely satisfying in a way that Magic Loop isn't, although I also think Magic Loop is easier in the case of not having to have too many bits hanging around. Whatever works -- the important bit is how the project turns out, isn't it! :)