PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite sock book?

chj
02-14-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm knitting my very first sock, and I'm switching back and forth between Silver's tutorial and a DVD called "Knitting socks on a single circular needle". I just can't deal with DPN's, but I do like the magic loop technique. It was a little confusing figuring out where to do the decreases and all, but I think I'm doing OK so far.

I'd like to buy a book that has more sock patterns, but there are so many out there. Does anyone have a favorite that includes the basic techniques plus some good patterns? Thanks!

Marria
02-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I really like Charlene Schurch's book Sensational Knitted Socks (http://www.amazon.com/Sensational-Knitted-Socks-Charlene-Schurch/dp/1564775704/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234631599&sr=8-1), because it has a very clear explanation of the anatomy of a sock and it provides recipes for different socks rather than just patterns. It gives charts for customizing them to your size, and then has a variety of stitch patterns for the cuffs based on stitch counts.

It also has information on how to do a variety of heels and info on toe up and top down socks. I really like it.

dustinac
02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree Sensational Knitted socks is a great book! I also like Nancy Bush's sock books she goes into detail and history :thumbsup:

Doodknitwit
02-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Getting Started in Socks :yay:

Gertie
02-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I agree that Sensational Knitted Socks is a great book. It's the one I learned on. There are many errors tho.

http://www.martingale-pub.com/store/pages.php?pID=56&CDpath=2

will give you the erratas. Hopefully your copy, if you choose to get one, will have many already corrected.

Cirrus
02-14-2009, 11:51 PM
I only know the one I've used. It's shaped like a sock and called Knit Socks! by Betsy Lee McCarthy. It has been helpful. I also got the DVD from Society Socks, but she uses DP's so you probably wouldn't be interested in that.

Quiltlady
02-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I have four books on knitting socks but my favorite one is Vogue Knitting " The Ultimate Sock Book". It's easy to understand and the designs are very pretty. I use it the most.:muah:

chj
02-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! I ordered the Sensational Knitted Socks book (Knitpicks, 40% off!). I'll see how it goes! Gertie - thanks for the tip on the errors, I'll check that out.

Jaxhil
02-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I just wanted to say, I have several of the books -mentioned, but my favorite is the "Getting Started in Socks" by Ann Budd. Very clear instructions for beginners! I have the SS books too, but find the other much easier to understand and more detailed (including every little step! I need that :teehee:). I also think "2 at a Time Socks" by Melissa Morgan-Oakes might be great for you~its a Magic Loop book, and since you like that technique, this would be an excellent choice. I really like the patterns in this one!

I see that you already ordered SS-hope you enjoy it!

vaknitter
02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
I know you already ordered the one book, but keep your eyes open for the Ann Budd book. It's my favorite - there are basic and more advanced patterns and then charts based on your guage to do more advanced designs on the cuff.