PDA

View Full Version : Circular needle question

Elephantastic
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I bought a circular needle about a month ago. I want to know if there is any way I can straighten out the plastic part so it won't coil up on me when I start out knitting. I've started a project and it has, I guess, gotten a little bit weighed down from the yarn so it isn't going nutty right now. :shrug:

Elephantastic
02-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Sorry about the bright color. I didn't realize.

tarrentella
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
lol thats ok. I sometimes get carried away with the colour too.

Try soaking it in hot water for a few minutes and then gently straightening it out. You could also try warming it with a hair drier on a medium setting to soften the plastic for a bit beofre straightening it.

Over time and with use it will become less springy but in the meentime it can be a pain in the backside and helping it along with a bit of gentle heat can be a good idea

Songbirdy
02-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Some people also go so far as to never store their circular needles coiled up.

I know one of the mods has an amazing circular needle wall hanging type thing. This allows her to have them always 'unfurled' and keeps the needles more manageable in the long run.

lelvsdgs
02-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I use a 13x9 baking dish, fill it with hot water and lay the cord part of the needle in it for a few seconds. Then I gently pull on it to straighten it. On the long ones, the baking dish helps because I can move the cord through the water as I straighten it.

suzeeq
02-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Don't try this with bamboo needles, at least not immersing the tips and the joins.

Amnarie
02-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm working on my first circular knitting project, and I thought it was normal to battle with the curly wire :blush:
Well, at least this will save me a lot of frustration in future!
Thanks for the tips!