PDA

View Full Version : Update: I'm getting a roof today!!!!!!

MoniDew
02-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Back in mid-December, we had a mini-tornado go down our street. In Oklahoma, this is fairly common. It didn't do major distruction, like what appears on the news so often. But it did blow the shingles off my roof.

We called the insurance company to come and inspect the roof, and got a real jerk, of course! He refused to give us full replacement value on the roof - which is the type of coverage we have - but offered us only a small fraction of what we needed.

We protested. The claims adjuster said, get a roofer out there to give us a bid and we'll talk. So, we interviewed a few roofers, all of which said we needed a whole new roof, and we got back in touch with our insurance company.

First, we scheduled the jerk to come and re-inspect with our first choice roofer, but the guy mysteriously stopped returning our calls (What's up with that?!) So, we scheduled him to re-inspect with our second choice roofer.

The jerk never called roofer #2, so he was a no-show at the appointment. SO, blaming roofer #2, he says - in essence - "you're not going to get a whole new roof anyway, why are you bothering?"

Needless to say, we need a miracle, because we need a roof! We've had nothing but a tarp over our heads for months, and the understructure is rotting away. We need a major miracle!!

So, all you prayers, start sending them up for me please! I've seen some amazing things in my time in response to devout people's prayers, so I have no doubt that prayer works.

:grphug: :heart: Thank you! :heart: :grphug:

Jan in CA
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Is there anyone you can contact that is senior to The Jerk?

OffJumpsJack
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Is there anyone you can contact that is senior to The Jerk?

MoniDew, I empathize. We did some emergency repairs to our roof recently. It wasn't caused by weather, but what we thought was just an old house. We didn't go to our insurance agent and just did it as a DIY project. I'm not a roofer, but I've worked Habitat projects and helped my dad who did work as a roofer (long time back). Our roof wasn't a steep slop and had the common asphalt shingles.

Once we pulled up some shingles, it was clear that our leak was caused by bad construction work. No roofer would ever cut the roofing felt down the valley between two slopes! :!!!: But that's another story. :sad:

Good luck with your roof.

GinnyG
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
You should not have to wait for over two months to get a claim settled!!! I would call your State Insurance Department and make a complaint!!!!!!!!!!

bailsmom
02-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Dear Lord!! Who's your insurance company anyway??? That's insane.

saracidaltendencies
02-18-2009, 06:08 PM
You need to go above "the jerk"...lol...seriously, if you're paying for that coverage, and, the type of damage done to your roof is covered, your roof should be replaced. If you're still not getting the results you want, file a complaint with the attorney general, and, threaten to contact your local news station as well. And, don't hesitate to actually call either.

We have something out here, on one of our news stations called Contact 2 where consumers call in with complaints about a company, and, not only does the news station most of the time resolve the issue but they cover your story as well. I was having huge problems with our former cable company and after calling the news, they resolved my issue, and, interviewed me about it (and I got on the news...haha). The last thing a company wants is publicity detailing how badly they screw people over.

Be persistent...If your insurance company can screw you over, they will but you have to be vigilant and assertive. And, never hesitate to take action against them, such as contacting the attorney general and/or local news stations.

I hope it gets settled for you, having to deal with that stuff is a pain in the butt! :hug:

tarrentella
02-18-2009, 06:39 PM
hugs for you MoniDew.

not having a proper roof over your head must be horrid and made even worse by useless insurers.

Definately try and speak to somebody above The JErk. And start doing things in writing backed up with a phone call. I have found that in an age where most things are done by telephone or emal, an actualy paper letter to the manager can have one hell of an impact.

Im not the praying sort, but my thoughts are with you that this situation gets sorted.

evona
02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Unfortunately I work with people trying to get claims processed through insurance every day. This does not surprise me one bit. Insurance companies are not truly in the business to help you, they are in the business of making money and that means keeping claims unpaid, dragging feet and low ball settlement offers. You do need to go to the insurance commissioner or an attorney. Unfortunatley, in many states the insurance commissioner is really just an insurance company hack anyway though. We represent clients with uninsured motorist claims that are going on 4 years old.

Good luck! Unfortunatley the only thing that works is persistence. Its annoying I know. Call the supervisor of the jerk. Write letters and cc the Insurance Commissioner. They need to get the darn roof fixed!!!!!!!

Mike
02-19-2009, 05:27 AM
What insurance company?
If Country Companies it sounds exactly like what my friend went through with them.

My friend's was on his machine shop. When he started hitting them up for all the residual damage for everything that went bad because of the insurance company dragging their feet they started moving on it.
I think he did have to go above the adjuster's head.

He ended up getting his maximum payout and I would hope the adjuster lost his job for costing them thousands trying to save them hundreds.

dustinac
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
:hug:I hope you can get it all worked out soon...I agree that you need to get above the jerk...and our local news does the same thing and they have gotten some fast results by taking it to the news...you might wanna try that :thumbsup:

MoniDew
02-20-2009, 02:25 PM
We asked for a different adjuster, and they have said they will send one out next week. Roofer has the flu this week, so no-go on getting anyone on the roof soon.

I am terrified to say which insurance company it is. But it's a biggie, and they probably have a ton of claims due to bad winter storms, etc. If I mention their name here, they could send Guido the Arm-Bender after me! :oo:

We do have a version of "action news" here. (Channel 2 Works for You.) I could contact them. But I think the county insurance commissioner sounds more promising. I'll try that route if they are still dragging their feet after the roofer is well.

bailsmom
02-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Forgive my ignorance here, but why in the world are you afraid to tell us the name of your insurance company? How are they going to find out your telling us your situation?

I'm sure if anyone else has them on these boards they aren't going to up and cancel their policies. That would be too much work, IMHO. I hate shopping for insurance. :ick:

And I think it's illegal for anyone to send Guido the arm bender to your house. It's called harrassment. That's a no-no. :teehee:

Marria
02-21-2009, 07:08 PM
I would also contact your local Better Business Bureau. It's amazing the kind of results they can get.

MoniDew
02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Forgive my ignorance here, but why in the world are you afraid to tell us the name of your insurance company? How are they going to find out your telling us your situation?

I'm sure if anyone else has them on these boards they aren't going to up and cancel their policies. That would be too much work, IMHO. I hate shopping for insurance. :ick:

And I think it's illegal for anyone to send Guido the arm bender to your house. It's called harrassment. That's a no-no. :teehee:

I'm just being completely rediculous and petty, playing the sympathy card and trying to be funny. Operative word being, trying.

It's State Farm.

Now I must change my name, move out of state, and join witness protection. Yeah, still trying...

Jan in CA
02-21-2009, 11:09 PM
I think you're safe, Moni. I seriously doubt if State Farm is patrolling a knitting forum. But really, if they were..what difference would it make? You were just making a valid complaint and in reality I bet it was a lot nicer than some people would have made! Don't sweat it, you did nothing wrong. :hug:

Regarding State Farm... I think as a whole they are probably a fine company, we've had them before, too. I think you got a really lazy, lousy claim adjuster. There are bad eggs in all business. :hair:

Mike
02-22-2009, 12:35 PM
It's State Farm.
Definitely go above the guy's head, and talk to your agent.

That is not SOP for State Farm. He probably hears about their problems in disaster areas and thinks he's doing his part to help.

The only thing I can imagine anyone sane trying to do is to prorate the roof.

MoniDew
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
We had a different adjuster out to the house today. Still only gonna give us half a roof (back half) Roofer says if he can't match the shingles, he won't do it. Wants to protect his name by not having if associated with a half @$$ job. Can't say as I blame him.
We have to pay deductible plus depreciation, even though the whole time they are telling us we have full coverage. Makes no sense to me at all.
By the time all is said and done, we will have paid 2/3 of the cost of this roof. We'll need to take out a loan in order to do that. Uh, anybody checked lately on how excited banks are to give out loans? (sarcasm - I have noticed that my sense of humor needs to come with an explanation, and warning labels.)
Yeay. I'm so excited. :BLAH:

vaknitter
02-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Sorry you've gotten the run around from insurance !! As for matching shingles, unless you have something really unique it shouldn't be an issue. I had some roof damage and while many roofers wanted to put on a entire new roof (ins was not happy) so I consulted a few more roofers and found that the problem could be easily repaired and it was far cheaper for me to provide the contractor with supplies and just paid one of his guys labor. I was able to take an old shingle to our local building supply company and buy the new shingles no problem.

Hope it works out !

tarrentella
02-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Yeah, shingles are rarely that rare and special, unless you live in a very old or very unique house.
Doesn't it sometimes feel like you're trying to get untrained puppies to jump through hoops?

saracidaltendencies
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm just trying to make sense of why they'll cover only half if you have full coverage. I've had State Farm for years, and, about 7 years ago we had hail damage to the roof and siding on our old house and they replaced the whole roof, and siding. (And believe me, I'm not trying to make it sound like State Farm is all good, they've been irritating the hell outta me lately).

Are they claiming that only half of the roof is damaged?

If not, it certainly sounds like they just don't want to put out the money and are trying to appease you by covering at least half.

Do you have an agent? If so, have you talked to them? If not, you may want to see about scheduling an appointment with your agent to go over your coverage and find out why, exactly, they're offering only half when you're fully covered.

MoniDew
02-25-2009, 12:31 PM
They ARE trying to say that only half the roof is damaged. But it is clear that the shingles accross the peak, and a little bit onto the front are MISSING, as in BLOWN OFF. There is also a noticible sag on the front corner where the underneath structure is rotting from moisture getting in. Their major point is that there is no hail damage, but our claim is for wind. (?)
UGH.
I'm on frustration overload right now. Probably need to shut up...

I would happily call my agent, but he retired a couple of months ago, and we got assigned to this new guy that I have never met. We've had nothing but trouble ever since.

saracidaltendencies
02-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Man, nothing's easy, huh?

So they're willing to cover half of the roof due to wind damage but not the whole roof to wind damage??? How do they justify that one, especially if the claim has nothing to do with hail?!

I'd definitely take it further, it sounds like they are just giving you the runaround and hoping you'll just let it go.

You could also tell them that since you pay for full coverage, but, they'll cover only HALF the damage, from now on you'll send in only HALF of your payment...Hey, just paying for what ya get :teehee:

debbieo
02-28-2009, 05:07 AM
oh my god!!!! i had 2 weddings and a rof this year!!!!!

MoniDew
03-01-2009, 10:23 AM
oh my god!!!! i had 2 weddings and a rof this year!!!!!
YIKES!!! :passedout:

tarrentella
03-02-2009, 05:45 AM
Keep going MoniDew, you'll get there ... but it had better be a bloody good roof when you do!

MoniDew
03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Guys, please pray. I still really, desperately need a roof, and I'm getting frustrated and exhausted.

Roofer chose to not do roof because insurance will only cover half a roof, and he can't find matching shingles. Doesn't want his name associated with a bad job.

We are going to have to do this job ourselves, and we don't know how. My husband can put mismatched shingles up, but that doesn't repair the sagging understructure at all. AND today, I found 2 leaks in my bedroom/bathroom area.

i'm afraid my house is going to crumble down around me. I'm going to lose my investment, never be able to sell it, etc. I wasn't looking to move or anything, but we are losing the major investment of our lives here and our place to live. I'm just really scared and worried.

shelluie
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Where do you live? Isn't there another roofer that would be willing to do just half of your roof? I would certaintly get at least the one half done, and then worry about the other half.

MoniDew
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Where do you live? Isn't there another roofer that would be willing to do just half of your roof? I would certaintly get at least the one half done, and then worry about the other half.
we've had 2 "no's" so far from reputable roofers. their rep means everything to them, and I can't blame them for that. That leaves the un-reputable ones...

Or, me and my hubby.

Mike
03-10-2009, 01:44 AM
Tell your agent you can't find anyone to do half the roof and ask them to recommend someone.
Perhaps when you get a no from their person they will be more willing to listen. Or if half the roof from their person doesn't work you can always hold that above their head.

tarrentella
03-10-2009, 03:46 AM
Thats a good idea from Mike, if the insurers are still not hearing 'full roof' from you, When one of their own guys says they wont do half a roof, they may be forced to re-consider.

Is there anyway you could get the roofers objections to doing half a roof in writing? If you can give them the professional opinions of roofers you have contacted then the insurance company might be persuaded.

MoniDew
03-10-2009, 04:27 PM
two good ideas! thank you for clearing my head! I'm going to mention this to hubby (he's running it now - I'm officially sick of it!) Thanks, again!

vaknitter
03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I feel your pain. IMHO getting a contractor out to the house to do anything is a royal pain the @*(#&@^&. If the insurance company is denying responsibility for the water damaged half of the roof and roofers will not do half a job can you negotiate with the roofer to get a good price on the full roof and then use the ins money to cover at least half the bill? Since you own your home and it is an investment, can you talk to the bank about a small home equity loan to get the roofer paid and then work to pay the bank back? Maybe if you agree to the full job with the insurance check straight to the roofer they would let you pay the balance over the next few months.

Hope things work out for you and your family.

Spikey
03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
We have State Farm also and, when we have made claims in the past, THEY want to bring in their own contractor and pay them directly to do the work. They explained to us that the work is then GUARANTEED, which would not be the case if they just reimburse you for a contractor you'd hire on your own.

Let them deal with this. And make sure that they and you document the secondary damage that is being caused by their delay. They should be responsible for that, too, as they should have made sure that your house was properly covered after the initial damage. This is what you pay them for.

Good luck!

MoniDew
03-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Cross your fingers! Hold your breath! I signed a contract with another contractor today. He says he will push State Farm for a whole new roof and won't settle for anything less. LET'S HOPE THIS IS IT!

Thank you everyone for putting up with my whining during all of this. I appreciate everyone's friendship and support here.

:muah:

saracidaltendencies
03-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh, that's awesome, Moni!! I hope the new contractor is successful! Crossed Fingers

JessicaR
03-16-2009, 01:46 AM
"Am the only one who finds it odd that Heaven has gates? Gates. What kind of neighborhood is Heaven in? Are the gates necessary? "Yeah, we got a lot of kids sneaking in and using the pool." Those gates weren't easy. We had to go down to Hell to get a contractor and everything." :roflhard:

-Jim Gaffigan, Beyond the Pale

MoniDew
03-17-2009, 02:53 PM
"Am the only one who finds it odd that Heaven has gates? Gates. What kind of neighborhood is Heaven in? Are the gates necessary? "Yeah, we got a lot of kids sneaking in and using the pool." Those gates weren't easy. We had to go down to Hell to get a contractor and everything." :roflhard:

-Jim Gaffigan, Beyond the Pale

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

MoniDew
04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Finally! I'm getting a roof today! (Been waiting since Dec 9th)
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/MoniDew/100_2957.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/MoniDew/100_2958.jpg
You can see them replacing the soggy square up front (patch)

Jan in CA
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
:yay: All that racket will be the most beautiful sound in the world to you today! Are they going to do the whole roof?

saracidaltendencies
04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
:woohoo:

MoniDew
04-28-2009, 01:05 PM
yup! a whole roof!

and - MUSIC TO MY EARS! HA!

saracidaltendencies
04-28-2009, 02:32 PM
That's awesome, a WHOLE roof! Way to go!

MoniDew
04-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Front of the house - done!!
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/MoniDew/100_2962.jpg
Back of the house - done!!!
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w10/MoniDew/100_2964.jpg
Can I just say, :woot: ?

saracidaltendencies
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM
:cheering: Finally! It looks great!

biztec
04-28-2009, 06:25 PM
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
:woot: :woot: :woot:

evona
04-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Woo hoo! Finally! Thank God you found a contractor willing to make State Farm understand that half a roof is not good enough.

Jan in CA
04-28-2009, 08:48 PM
:yay: Yay! No more leaks!!

cftwo
04-29-2009, 08:37 AM
That's fabulous, MoniDew. I bet that's about the prettiest thing you've seen in a long time!