PDA

View Full Version : Both excited and sad

dairywife
02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Well I finally finsihed my first very large project; my afghan is so pretty and warm. :woohoo: :woot: I couldn't be more proud of my handy work (and a big thanks to you helpful ladies).

So, it is time to move on to another project. I have chosen the Soft Drawstring Pouch from the book "Last Minute Gifts". I had purchased the beautiful Blue Sky Aplpaca, Alpaca & Silk in the same color as the cover of the book. I also had purchased the DPN's required to do the I-cord.

So last night I sat down, reviewed the pattern and list of supplies. I gathered everything together, then on closer inspection realized to my horror do not have Size 6 16" Circular needles. I have purchased the Options set and a couple of added needle sizes and longer cables. I looked online and realized I can't purchase a 16" cable, it isn't available for the Options set. I would have to purchase a fixed 16" circular. Not that I mind ordering one, I just like to have tools ready. I am not a patient person and hate waiting for the mail.

I made the Icord and it went really well. Now I have to put everything away and wait, which means find another project to fill the time while I wait for the needles to arrive. :cry: Sorry for the long post, just had to vent.

HollyP
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Have you ever tried magic loop? You could use your longer options cord for it. Then you wouldn't have to wait for a smaller cord. I haven't bought a smaller diameter cord or dpns since I learned magic loop. Amy has a video under advanced techniques. Good luck!! I love that bag!

dairywife
02-18-2009, 07:07 PM
I watched the video on magic loop. I think I will try it. I am always eager to learn something new. I am sure I will be back here asking questions. Thanks for the help.

Marria
02-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Since this is a bag, gauge is not so critical, as long as you have enough yarn. You might be able to go up to a 7 or down to a 5 and it will be just fine (if you have those sizes.)

NovemberGyspy
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Awwww. *Big Hugs* Congrats on the finished project! Yea! And...I know how fustrating the needle situation must be for you. You have my sympathy.

dairywife
02-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I went home last night and attempted the magic loop, it wasn't pretty. I completely bombed. I have not given up, I have caught on to everything else that I have attempted and it has been almost effortless to learn.

I knitted the first stitch and marked it (beg. round), made about 5 or 6 more stitches. They did not look smooth and I felt as though I was going to twist the stitches and mess it up.

I think I will get some scrap yarn and try again, practice a little. Maybe I was just nervous with the alpaca/silk I am using for the pouch.

dairywife
02-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Since this is a bag, gauge is not so critical, as long as you have enough yarn. You might be able to go up to a 7 or down to a 5 and it will be just fine (if you have those sizes.)

It isn't the needle size but the length of the cable. I have all the sizes of needles. I just didn't realize that 16" cable isn't available for Options Interchangable.