PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour 2009

saracidaltendencies
02-21-2009, 02:51 AM
I don't want this to become a debate thread on climate change, I just want to let anyone who wishes to participate in Earth Hour 2009 know that it will be on Sat. March 28th at 8:30 pm, your local time.

For more info, check HERE (http://www.earthhour.org/)

Jan in CA
02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for sharing that. :thumbsup:

Also..thanks for this:hug: -

I don't want this to become a debate thread on climate change

HollyP
02-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks Demonica! We did it last year and I had forgotten it was coming until I read this.

Knitting_Guy
02-21-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm sure it'll really make a difference :roll:

saracidaltendencies
02-21-2009, 11:09 PM
The point of it is to raise awareness on climate change. It's not like the "gas-outs" that really do nothing, it's more of a tool as in it forces us to become more aware of climate change and the effects of it.

I realize some people don't "believe" in climate change, but, there are many who do feel our actions have and are negatively impacting the earth and this is a great way to show where, those of us who do feel that way, stand on the issue.

Please don't condescend: if you don't want to participate, that is your choice but please don't look down upon those of us who do.

Remember, the whole point is to raise awareness and silence and inaction accomplish nothing.

khyu777
02-22-2009, 12:00 AM
hope a lot of people do this..

thanks for sharing!

stacyk9
02-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I participate in this every night! We turn all of our lights off in the house at 8:00 pm so our son will settle down and get ready for bed! Seriously, though, anything that helps raise awareness is a good thing!

tarrentella
02-24-2009, 12:59 PM
even if you don't support or agree with the concept it is a funky event. not much happeend around by where i live, but all of sydneys lighting went off with a lot of private properties taking part too. At the time my mums apartment looked out over toward Sydney (in the distance) and she was talking to me with the webcam at the time. It was quite a site to watch everything systematically go off at the designated hour. She said al the birds suddenly got noisy!

saracidaltendencies
02-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Man, how awesome it must have been to see that!

Knitting_Guy
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
The point of it is to raise awareness on climate change. It's not like the "gas-outs" that really do nothing, it's more of a tool as in it forces us to become more aware of climate change and the effects of it.

I realize some people don't "believe" in climate change, but, there are many who do feel our actions have and are negatively impacting the earth and this is a great way to show where, those of us who do feel that way, stand on the issue.

Please don't condescend: if you don't want to participate, that is your choice but please don't look down upon those of us who do.

Remember, the whole point is to raise awareness and silence and inaction accomplish nothing.

You're quite right. I'd been feeling pretty negative since my mother passed away, but that's really no excuse. My sincere apologies.

saracidaltendencies
03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I completely understand, Mason, and, thank you for your apology. I hope you're doing ok and managing as well as you can. :hug:

Knitting_Guy
03-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I completely understand, Mason, and, thank you for your apology. I hope you're doing ok and managing as well as you can. :hug:

You're quite welcome.

Thank you.

Simply_Renee
03-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I am sitting here in the dark observing Earth Hour now!

saracidaltendencies
03-28-2009, 11:13 PM
We turned out the lights, lit a bunch of candles and the kids, hubby, and I sat around telling ghost stories...It was a lot of fun! I know the kids really enjoyed it too...they remember it from last year and had been looking forward to it!

Jan in CA
03-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Lights are out right now! :thumbsup:

Andres
03-28-2009, 11:40 PM
I did it for the first time. It felt liberating.

Spikey
03-29-2009, 12:55 PM
I was working, so I had to leave my computer on, but it was so cool to have every light in the house off, and unplugging everything I could.

Sat in front of the computer and knit by candlelight. It felt really old school (as much as possible sitting at a computer).

zkimom
03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
After all that, we weren't home. The dogs, however, were and were sitting on the couch waiting for us in the dark.

JessicaR
03-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I had fun. We turned the power off at the breaker, so not only the lights were off. I lit a bunch of candles and my hubby and I sat and talked, and the dogs slept. Very peaceful.

Craw
03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
I'd wanted to do this but it frightened my son so I caved. I tried to explain to him that the power wouldn't really go out but he insisted that if everyone turned off their electricity, it wouldn't be able to go back on. Oh well!

Jan in CA
03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd wanted to do this but it frightened my son so I caved. I tried to explain to him that the power wouldn't really go out but he insisted that if everyone turned off their electricity, it wouldn't be able to go back on. Oh well!

I turned off all the lights, but the night lights were still on. That might have helped him. It's fine though. Maybe next year he'll understand better. :thumbsup:

JessicaR
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
At least you tried! I should have petitioned our small town to turn off the street lights but I didn't. I plan to be more pro-active next year!

Mike
03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Someone should've petitioned Gore to turn off more than the spotlights that light up his mansion. Why does he of all people even have spotlights lighting up his mansion for anyway?

saracidaltendencies
03-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Some really cool pics from Earth Hour...Be sure to click on the pictures to see them fade!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/03/earth_hour_2009.html