PDA

View Full Version : Intarsia Argyle Afghan

biztec
02-22-2009, 09:55 AM
It took forever, but I finally finished the Father's Day Argyle Afghan from "Vanna's Favorite Crochet Gifts". I stupidly asked my son to pick out a pattern so I could crochet an afghan for his apartment, and didn't realize what was involved until I had already received the yarn. I was forced to learn Intarsia, so it was a good exercise, but had I known how long it would take I might not have started it at all. Now that it's finished, I'm very happy I persevered. He wanted something warm and masculine, with no "holes", so the entire thing is single crocheted. It's very heavy, dense, and warm, which is what he wanted! I didn't use the pattern colors of black, grey, tan, and cream. He chose dark brown, light blue, tan, and cream to match his decor. I really like the color combination.

catlvr
02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
That is absolutely, positively gorgeous!! BRAVO! Your son just better appreciate all that work LOL Is intarsia difficult? I've been wanting to try it.

merryknitter
02-22-2009, 11:57 AM
That is absolutely beautiful....what a lot of work! That's a work of art, for sure!

MGM
02-22-2009, 12:54 PM
That is just beautiful! I know your son will cherish that for the rest of his life! I still have afghans made by my grandmother when I was little...and let's just say I'm no longer little!

I wouldn't say intarsia is difficult, just tedious. Would you agree, Biztec? Following a chart and changing yarn colors many times in each row takes lots of concentration. So it would not be a quick project, but as you can see by that argyle afghan, well worth the effort!

Thanks for sharing your lovely project!

MGM

Marria
02-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Wow! That is amazing. I am very impressed. :notworthy:

Your son better be impressed too! ;)

PamJ
02-22-2009, 02:41 PM
That is an amazing blanket! Congratulations on all the hard work, because it really paid off. Your son chose some great colors too. He must be creative himself, and he will treasure the results.

biztec
02-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Catlvr, once I got the hang of Intarsia, it wasn't too difficult. My main problem was that the pattern just assumed you already knew what to do! I couldn't have done it without a lot of large bobbins, though.

cheley
02-22-2009, 06:02 PM
That is absolutely the most awesome "crochet" blanket I have ever seen....Never heard of Intarsia in crochet!!!!cloud9

OffJumpsJack
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Stand up and take a bow! That is a fantastic pattern. Is it on-line?

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

biztec
02-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks, Jack. I haven't seen it online; only in the book, which I think was $14.95 but actually has some other patterns I'd like to do. I notice you're doing some afghan stitch dish cloths. Isn't that the most relaxing craft? A wonderful lady in a stitch shop in Manteo taught me how to do it, and it's on my list of projects. I wish I didn't have to work! BTW where are you in NC? I'm in Winston.

biztec
02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
That is just beautiful! I know your son will cherish that for the rest of his life! I still have afghans made by my grandmother when I was little...and let's just say I'm no longer little!

I wouldn't say intarsia is difficult, just tedious. Would you agree, Biztec? Following a chart and changing yarn colors many times in each row takes lots of concentration. So it would not be a quick project, but as you can see by that argyle afghan, well worth the effort!

Thanks for sharing your lovely project!

MGM
MGM, it is extremely tedious! Thank goodness for bobbins. For the pattern, I used a bit of shorthand. Instead of having to follow each and every stitch as I went along, I converted the pattern to numbers on each row. That way I could glance over and read how many stitches of each color I needed all the way across. Since the numbers increased and decreased on each row, and also repeated across each row, it made it a bit easier. I've found that reducing patterns to simple math whenever possible really reduces the tedium.

MGM
02-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Excellent idea to sort of rewrite the pattern into simpler terms! That's good advice for beginners who might think something like this would be too hard for them to try someday.

Your afghan really is quite beautiful and it must be so warm and cozy being made all in single crochet. I love a solid afghan!

MGM

biztec
02-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Excellent idea to sort of rewrite the pattern into simpler terms! That's good advice for beginners who might think something like this would be too hard for them to try someday.

Your afghan really is quite beautiful and it must be so warm and cozy being made all in single crochet. I love a solid afghan!

MGM
It is and the yarn washed up nice and soft, too. It definitely wouldn't be too hard to try. I had no idea what I was doing when I started!!

OffJumpsJack
02-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks, Jack. I haven't seen it online; only in the book, which I think was $14.95 but actually has some other patterns I'd like to do. I notice you're doing some afghan stitch dish cloths. Isn't that the most relaxing craft? A wonderful lady in a stitch shop in Manteo taught me how to do it, and it's on my list of projects. I wish I didn't have to work! BTW where are you in NC? I'm in Winston.

Have you checked out the North Carolina Knitters (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1156648#post1156648) thread yet? :thumbsup: I believe you'll find some other KH members from the triad area. I'm from just east of Raleigh, not far from Mudcat Stadium.

I didn't follow a pattern for the afghan stitch dish clothes I made. I just picked a hook that gave me a lose stitch with the crochet cotton, Aunt Lydia's yellow :sun: size #10 and started in. I finished the edge in SC using a light blue thread.

They were pretty quick to make. One could likely finish one or two on a cold, rainy Saturday. :thumbsup: I find Aunt Lydia's thread to work up quickly, though I'm not one to hurry my crochet.

Actually it is about time I made some more dish clothes. The two I've finished have seen some hard use. They've gotten stained but aren't worn out yet.

biztec
02-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I've been to the NC Knitters. They talk a bit about my fav LYS Knit Picky. We go to Raleigh a lot to catch Canes games. I really love NC.

Have you done the afghan dish cloth on the double ended afhhan hook where you pull one color from one end and then move it to the other end and work a second color? I probably didn't describe that properly (you're great with that stuff).

saracidaltendencies
02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
It's absolutely gorgeous!

mathwizard
03-08-2009, 08:54 AM
All I can say is Fabulous Afghan!! You did an excellent job and the colors your son picked out are great!

dustinac
03-08-2009, 11:08 AM
:inlove: stunning! What a great afghan!