PDA

View Full Version : I finally made socks!

gotta knit
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Seeing all the great socks on here inspired me to finally give them a try. It only took me 20+ years of knitting to get around to it.

Can't help feeling like I cheated or something though, since I still haven't 'turned a heel' or 'worked a gusset'. Maybe another time. I'll definitely use this pattern again since it was so easy!
http://www.knitpicks.com/Two+At+Once+Toe-Up+Sock+Pattern_PD50417220.html from Knitpicks (two at once, toe-up,with an afterthought heel). Made with Bernat Sox yarn & 3.75mm needles. Not so thrilled with the way the colour blotched in areas, but they're really comfy anyways.

Freyja
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
:cheering::cheering::cheering: Do you know what this means?
You are on your way to being a sock addict!
Welcome to the club.:)

Doublereeder2
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the dark side :-) They look great.

margz3
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
They look great - thanks for posting the link! I SWEAR I will try socks soon!!

cacunn
02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
That looks great. Now that you are over the basic fear of socks you will find that turning a heel and working a gusset are very easy. It is simply a new technique and like all new techniques take it a little slow and don't be afraid to frog and do those stitches over again.

Suggestion is to put in a life line just before you start the heel. That way there is no problem restarting the heel.

What do you plan for your next pair?

gotta knit
02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
I definitely see why socks are addictive!
Not yet sure what the next pair will look like exactly, but there will be another pair after I get some baby gift items made.

Slim
02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Congratulations! They look great. I haven't tried two-at-once yet, so thanks for posting the link.

gotta knit
02-26-2009, 09:50 PM
You're welcome for the pattern Slim.
I was worried I might not want to make the 2nd since this was my initial attempt, that's why I went with 2-at-once. Thought toe-up would be an interesting way of making them too.

thepurplegg
02-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Great socks! I actually like color blotching like that. It makes the socks not identical but still look like they belong together. That's just me. :wink:

scout52
02-27-2009, 03:03 AM
WOW they look so great!!

Debkcs
02-27-2009, 04:40 AM
They do look great, and don't worry about the color blotching, we call it 'personalization', remember? :)

AH1OZ
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
dispite all the things i have made, i have never made socks (i have used a sock pattern to make the feet of stuffed animals... but never made socks)

i think i should... perhaps with this pattern

dustinac
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
:happydance: Great job!

WandaT
02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
congrats!!! I think they turned out great! Thanks for the link to the pattern too - I've saved it. I WILL do socks eventually!

mks22300
02-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Super job!

ArtLady1981
02-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Well, thanks! :thumbsup:

Your socks look great, and I downloaded the FREE PATTERN from KnitPicks, too!

You are ahead of me! I haven't' taken the sock plunge yet! I'm still on the outside with my nose pressed against the glass, watching the sock party goin' on inside! I need to come in outa the cold!

I assume you made two socks at the same time!

Great job! And thanks again for the link!

Ronda
02-28-2009, 04:49 PM
:cheering::woot::cheering:

dturner
02-28-2009, 10:37 PM
They look great! Good job!

cheley
02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
:clink: They look awesome... I too have gone to the dark side and in the process of socks (well I only frogged 5 times and lots of bad words)!!! yes, at the heel, shaping and gusset part....but I'm gonna keep on trying:hug:

valentina
03-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Great socks!

gotta knit
03-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

ArtLady - Two at once seemed like the best choice for the first time, I knew I'd either love socks or never make the second one. I also liked this pattern for being toe up, and not having to work a 'regular heel' was just a bonus.

Cheley - How are those heels coming? I will try basic construction at some point, but I'll definitely use this pattern again too!

knittingforty
03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
I think they look great! I have just started my first sock project using 4 dpn!!!!! Well actually I have started three times now. Getting the hang of four needles at once is difficult. Maybe I should have gone for two at once on circulars

gotta knit
03-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Trying socks and trying dpns for the first time too! You sound brave.

Dpns just require some practice, you'll be fine once you get used to them. I have used dpns, circs, and ML for various projects without any trouble, but found issues with ladders as I worked these socks. Had to pull the first st on the new needle REALLY tight.

cheley
03-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

ArtLady - Two at once seemed like the best choice for the first time, I knew I'd either love socks or never make the second one. I also liked this pattern for being toe up, and not having to work a 'regular heel' was just a bonus.

Cheley - How are those heels coming? I will try basic construction at some point, but I'll definitely use this pattern again too! Well, pitched the "original" pattern at the heel, shaping and gusset part (too many printed mistakes for a newbie like myself) and now I am following Silver's class for the rest of the sock....(shoulda just used her's in the first place):inlove:

MerigoldinWA
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't know, the afterthought heel qualifies in my book as a real sock technique. I've never done one and to me it sounds scary. LOL Two at once seems a challenge too, I think I'd get mixed up. You did great.

knittingforty
03-02-2009, 07:57 PM
but found issues with ladders as I worked these socks. Had to pull the first st on the new needle REALLY tight.

Thanks for the FYI. I will keep this in mind. Guess it is the same as knitting the first two-three stitches of each row tighter to eliminate loopy-loops on ends.