PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Crochet Buddy!

saracidaltendencies
02-28-2009, 12:10 AM
My mom has, in the past, expressed an interest in knitting and has asked me on many occasions to teach her. Well, I'd try, but, she'd get frustrated and say maybe she'd try again some other time...lol...Anyway, now that I'm learning to crochet, my mom wants to pick it up again!

She used to crochet when she was younger so she feels more comfortable getting a refresher course in crochet than she does learning to knit...lol...

So, I was over there tonight and brought some yarn and my hooks and we sat there for a while making swatches. It was really nice, seriously. No one else in my family knits (my great grandma used to, but, she passed away in '90, when I was only 13) so I've never had anyone to knit with.

But, it looks like I have someone to crochet with! I gave her the ball of yarn I brought, and, let her keep one of my hooks until she gets her own set, so she can practice in the meantime.

I can't wait to take trips to my LYS with someone who will love the yarn as much as I do! :teehee:

biztec
02-28-2009, 10:58 AM
My mom has, in the past, expressed an interest in knitting and has asked me on many occasions to teach her. Well, I'd try, but, she'd get frustrated and say maybe she'd try again some other time...lol...Anyway, now that I'm learning to crochet, my mom wants to pick it up again!

She used to crochet when she was younger so she feels more comfortable getting a refresher course in crochet than she does learning to knit...lol...

So, I was over there tonight and brought some yarn and my hooks and we sat there for a while making swatches. It was really nice, seriously. No one else in my family knits (my great grandma used to, but, she passed away in '90, when I was only 13) so I've never had anyone to knit with.

But, it looks like I have someone to crochet with! I gave her the ball of yarn I brought, and, let her keep one of my hooks until she gets her own set, so she can practice in the meantime.

I can't wait to take trips to my LYS with someone who will love the yarn as much as I do! :teehee:
That's great, Demonica!! (I always mis-read your name as Delmonica, which makes me hungry for a delmonico steak!) There isn't anything quite as satisfying as doing needlework with a friend. My LYS (Knit Picky) has a big room where people gather all the time to work on projects together. Maybe you'll find something in your area.

saracidaltendencies
03-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Yeah, there are several meet-ups in my area; I used to go to one, but, hubby has school in the evenings, and, all the meet-ups I have seen are all on hubby's school nights :( Gets kinda lonely knitting and crocheting by myself alll the time....lol...But, now I have my mom to crochet with and we're gonna go yarn shopping soon! :)

melmac51
03-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I know what you mean. My mom does neither. She's not really interested in learning, and neither are my two daughters. So, I taught a couple of friends at work. Every day at lunch time, we sit and crochet after we finish eating. I have them totally hooked (pun intended) :teehee: on yarn too. I hope that one day, they'll get brave and let me teach them how to knit too! :knitting: :thumbsup:

Craw
03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Good for you! It's always nice when someone shares the yarn sickness, er, I mean passion, lol.

mathwizard
03-06-2009, 09:06 AM
I have the yarn sickness but only sons, sos sob! Enjoy your time with your mom as I did with mine. My mother taught me to knit and crochet and she was an excellent teacher!

OffJumpsJack
03-13-2009, 05:20 PM
I have the yarn sickness but only sons, sos sob! Enjoy your time with your mom as I did with mine. My mother taught me to knit and crochet and she was an excellent teacher!

Oh, mathwizard, have we (males who knit or crochet) taught you nothing? :doh: There is hope ( unless the males you "hang with" are more like the Grandpa in the Pickles cartoon strip. I've posted "somewhere on this forum" a link to the ones that mentioned the Grandma teaching crochet to her grandson.) :)

Teach your sons, or wait and teach your grandchildren if your boys are too squeamish to learn themselves. (And in between those times you might get their girlfriends interested in your creative arts). :thumbsup:

--Jack

aztec_judy
03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
heyyyy .. whats wrong with teaching boys to crochet OR knit or whatever craft ???? ... hmmmmmm lolol
I have grandsons that enjoy the craftings with their mom and me ... and they range in age of 5 yrs old to 14 yrs old .. and they have had fun with all sorts of crafts .. lolol

so teach them ... one day they mite be able to teach thier wives how to's ... hmmmmmm

mathwizard
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I got Alex to needlepoint a card case for his dad one year for Christmas. I think he was 9 but that was the last time. I keep telling them Rosie Greer did needlepoint but... Now I would have grandchildren except none of them have girlfriends at the moment and therefore I can't do either. I am just making things for them and every so often try to get one of them interested. They do appreciate the things I make and say how beautiful it and and what nice colors but I keep hoping!!!!!:cheering:

OffJumpsJack
04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Teach your sons, or wait and teach your grandchildren if your boys are too squeamish to learn themselves. (And in between those times you might get their girlfriends interested in your creative arts). :thumbsup:

--Jack

None of them have girlfriends at the moment and therefore I can't do either. I am just making things for them and every so often try to get one of them interested. They do appreciate the things I make and say how beautiful it and and what nice colors but I keep hoping!!!!!:cheering:

:) This reminded me of a conversation my teenage son had with his mother about meeting girls.

Son: Well how can I meet girls?
Mom: Hang out where the girls are.
Son: What, like in the bathroom?
:roflhard:

Perhaps I'll suggest to my son that knitting, crochet or needlepoint might attract girls to approach and speak to him. And he could truthfully answer any boys teasing remark with, "I only knit to meet the girls!"

:thumbsup:

:cool:

MGM
04-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Jack, you can tell your son where I met my husband 27 years ago...yep...in the ladies room! I'm not kidding!

MGM

mathwizard
04-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Thank you Jack!!! It would be a great way for guys to meet girls. I think I will suggest it to my son as Alex would love to have a girlfriend.

PamJ
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
MGM, We need to hear the rest of that story!!!

MGM
04-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Well now Pam, what in the world makes you think there is anything more to that story? :teehee:

MGM