PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Lners for the Troops

GinnyG
02-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Has anyone made the citizensam (http://www.citizensam.org/) troop helmet liners? I just found out about these and would love to give it a try. But in reading the pattern it states that gauge must be EXACT, that even 1/2 stitch will make the size wrong and they will be unusable.

So I am a bit wary of trying it, gauge after all is a variable thing. It seems odd that 1/2 stitch could be so crucial, given the variety in the size of peoples head.

I ordered the suggested yarn but now am concerned that my efforts will be for nothing, if they are not spot on guage wise.

Shandeh
03-23-2009, 11:09 PM
I made an Operation Helmetliner a couple years ago, so my pattern might have been a bit different. They appreciated my helmetliner very much. I think I'll make another one. Thanks for the reminder! :hug:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/1997258298_52db8d781f.jpg

Here's how it looked as it was being made:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2014/1888165635_c4ef0c1577.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/1980535024_8a9c8e5f5d.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/1979720887_a41b5ac8a2.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2108/1997194524_f30bb9f320.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2337/1996399379_8e90ae12ea.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/1997203152_c0a3f64a5f.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2122/1997256466_4eec5bd2e0.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/1996460559_860b59f9a8.jpg

dvrgrl38
05-30-2009, 10:18 AM
I would like to knit some of these too, I just need to get the time and the correct color yarn. We have a local national guard troop getting deployed next April so I think it would be nice to send some with them.
Alison

pinnut3200
06-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I made two helmet liners in May for the project. You can read about it on my blog HERE (http://wyomingbreezes.blogspot.com/2009/05/reclaimed-purpose.html) and HERE (http://wyomingbreezes.blogspot.com/2009/04/answering-call.html).

GinnyG
06-02-2009, 05:16 AM
I have made 3 so far. They are a quick knit. I love Shandah's but my directions gave pretty limited color choices and they had to be solid (black,khaki,brown), they encouraged black but I used brown.

I have enough yarn to make 10 and am trying to make one every few weeks. I'll post a pic later.

Shandeh
06-02-2009, 08:31 AM
.....I love Shandah's but my directions gave pretty limited color choices and they had to be solid (black,khaki,brown), they encouraged black but I used brown......
Exactly. I used bits of different yarns in my wool stash to make that one. Now, I'm starting another one with ONE color throughout, because that's what they recommend now. :thumbsup:

kae1crafts
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi,

My LYS has a project that has a different version of the helmet liner that is more like a beanie than a ski mask and more colors are okay. Since I don't know the actual designer of the pattern that I received at a KAL I haven't been able to post it on Ravelry but I do have it in a Squidoo lens (free pattern) and hope you will take advantage of it if you wish. All I ask is that you let me know how many you knit and donate as we are trying to track them and push ourselves to meet higher and higher goals. The purpose it to get every soldier a liner that wants one.

Squidoo Link: http://www.squidoo.com/knittedhelmetliners

You can comment on the Squidoo lens or email me your donation count at kaeelliott9@gmail.com

Happy knitting and let no head go unprotected.

Kae:knitting:

miccisue
01-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi,

My LYS has a project that has a different version of the helmet liner that is more like a beanie than a ski mask and more colors are okay. Since I don't know the actual designer of the pattern that I received at a KAL I haven't been able to post it on Ravelry but I do have it in a Squidoo lens (free pattern) and hope you will take advantage of it if you wish. All I ask is that you let me know how many you knit and donate as we are trying to track them and push ourselves to meet higher and higher goals. The purpose it to get every soldier a liner that wants one.

Squidoo Link: http://www.squidoo.com/knittedhelmetliners

You can comment on the Squidoo lens or email me your donation count at kaeelliott9@gmail.com

Happy knitting and let no head go unprotected.

OK, I'll be the first to admit I'm not a whiz with directions but before I start one of these, let me make sure that when you do the increase to 91 stitches, that's it. You don't increase 1 every row for the next four inches, correct? (Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I have had patterns that have turned out very "blobby" because they don't clarify that increases don't continue...yet read like they do).

Thanks!

Also, do you have a simple pattern for a neck gaitor or neckwarmer that fits fairly snugly? All I'm seeming to find are more cowl styled, or lacy.....definitely not what a male soldier wants to help keep warm.:teehee:

kae1crafts
01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
OK, I'll be the first to admit I'm not a whiz with directions but before I start one of these, let me make sure that when you do the increase to 91 stitches, that's it. You don't increase 1 every row for the next four inches, correct? (Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I have had patterns that have turned out very "blobby" because they don't clarify that increases don't continue...yet read like they do).

Thanks!

Also, do you have a simple pattern for a neck gaitor or neckwarmer that fits fairly snugly? All I'm seeming to find are more cowl styled, or lacy.....definitely not what a male soldier wants to help keep warm.:teehee:

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in the helmet liners. You only make one increase to 91 stitches when you change from the ribbing to stockinet stitch. You knit with 91 stitches until you begin the decreases. Hope that helps.

Now to the gaitor or neckwarmer. Here is the pattern that someone sent me to post in my Squidoo lens.

Neck Gator Knit Pattern
Easy pattern
Materials 100% wool
Size 6, 7, or 8 - 16" circular needle or dp needles.

Pattern

Cast on 112 stitches very loosely.
Join (make sure not to twist) and rib (k1 P1 or K2 P2 for 9".
Cast off very loosely.
Weave in the ends.

I think the important thing would be to cast on loosely enough and bind off loosely enough to get this over your head otherwise the pattern looks snug and a tight knit.

Kae

miccisue
01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
One more question.....when it says to check your gauge, are they talking about with the size 6 needles or the size 8's? They don't specify, and obviously if you meet the gauge with one size, you won't with the other. My gauge matches if I use the 8's, but of course on the 6's it's a tad off.

I sure hope I'm not doing this thing for nothing.....:pout:

kae1crafts
01-23-2010, 04:30 PM
One more question.....when it says to check your gauge, are they talking about with the size 6 needles or the size 8's? They don't specify, and obviously if you meet the gauge with one size, you won't with the other. My gauge matches if I use the 8's, but of course on the 6's it's a tad off.

I sure hope I'm not doing this thing for nothing.....:pout:

You take the gauge with the larger needles which you are using for the stockinet stitch. The smaller needles are for the ribbing and ribbing isn't usually gauged. The size 8 needles are the ones you need to gauge. I knit tightly enough that I have to knit them on size 9 needles.

You are definitely doing this for something. Remember that everyone is a little different shape so if the helmet liner doesn't fit one person it should fit the next one. Mine aren't perfect and neither are the ones that are donated at the shop or mailed to us.

Thanks,

miccisue
01-24-2010, 10:56 PM
I also posted this in the "How To" thread, but want to try and get help as soon as possible.
OK, I'm working on the helmet liner, have the 6 inches of ribbing done (using the citizenSAM pattern). I'm ready to transfer to the larger needles, and have watched the video MANY times to make sure I get the hang of it. So, I do the cast on.....and find that the cast on stitches are all on the #6 needle instead of the #8 like they're supposed to be. How did I mess this one up? Where did I go wrong? And more importantly, how do I correct this?
I was so sure I had this in my head going right, and now this.........augh!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hair:

kae1crafts
01-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I also posted this in the "How To" thread, but want to try and get help as soon as possible.
OK, I'm working on the helmet liner, have the 6 inches of ribbing done (using the citizenSAM pattern). I'm ready to transfer to the larger needles, and have watched the video MANY times to make sure I get the hang of it. So, I do the cast on.....and find that the cast on stitches are all on the #6 needle instead of the #8 like they're supposed to be. How did I mess this one up? Where did I go wrong? And more importantly, how do I correct this?
I was so sure I had this in my head going right, and now this.........augh!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hair:

I haven't used that pattern but I do have a copy so I'll try to answer.

When you change to the larger #8 needle you knit 32 stitches from the size #6 needle onto the #8 needle. Leave the rest of the stitches on the #6 needle and think of it as a stitch holder.

Now take the #8 needle that has 32 stitches on it and cast on 59 additional stitches, place marker at beginning of round, join in round and knit even for 4 inches.

I hope this helps. If not, please contact me again and I'll try to explain more.

Kae:hug:

miccisue
01-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I get what the instructions mean, I just royally messed them up. The video shows using both needles to do the cast on....you knit a stitch, leave it on the left needle, pull the stitch on the right needle out and insert the left needle into it to cast on the stitch. My problem is, when I did this, without realizing it (cause I was concentrating too hard on not dropping any stitches, etc.) the cast on stitches were going on to the size 6 needle instead of the size 8....I'd knit the 32 onto the 8, but the cast on ended up on the 6 (which I was holding in my left hand, if that makes any difference). See, at that point, you're working off the smaller to the bigger needle and somehow I mucked it up...............am I explaining myself at all? I'm so confused now I don't know if I'm clear or not.
Watch the "Knitting On" cast on video - it was one recommended in another thread for casting on in the middle of a project - and you'll see where I came up with the stitches ending up on the left needle instead of the right (which is the needle the stitches I had knitted off the #6's ended up on). Do I need to unravel the extra stitches, and "flip" my work over so the #6 is in my right hand and the #8 is in my left, or am I making this even more difficult?

kae1crafts
01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Yeah, I get what the instructions mean, I just royally messed them up. The video shows using both needles to do the cast on....you knit a stitch, leave it on the left needle, pull the stitch on the right needle out and insert the left needle into it to cast on the stitch. My problem is, when I did this, without realizing it (cause I was concentrating too hard on not dropping any stitches, etc.) the cast on stitches were going on to the size 6 needle instead of the size 8....I'd knit the 32 onto the 8, but the cast on ended up on the 6 (which I was holding in my left hand, if that makes any difference). See, at that point, you're working off the smaller to the bigger needle and somehow I mucked it up...............am I explaining myself at all? I'm so confused now I don't know if I'm clear or not.
Watch the "Knitting On" cast on video - it was one recommended in another thread for casting on in the middle of a project - and you'll see where I came up with the stitches ending up on the left needle instead of the right (which is the needle the stitches I had knitted off the #6's ended up on). Do I need to unravel the extra stitches, and "flip" my work over so the #6 is in my right hand and the #8 is in my left, or am I making this even more difficult?

If you have an extra circular needle, can you slip the stitches you need on the #8 needle off of the #6 needle and then slip them onto the #8 needle? It is just like knitting but without using the yarn and creating a stitch. It is late here and I'm not thinking real clearly tonight due to a cold so hope this will work for you.

Kae

miccisue
01-25-2010, 09:53 AM
If you have an extra circular needle, can you slip the stitches you need on the #8 needle off of the #6 needle and then slip them onto the #8 needle? It is just like knitting but without using the yarn and creating a stitch. It is late here and I'm not thinking real clearly tonight due to a cold so hope this will work for you.

Kae

I don't know.....will that leave a gap between my knitted on stitches and the cast on stitches, and will the working yarn still be on the #6's? I don't have a cold, but this has done to my brain what sticking a fork in a toaster will do to the rest of you. I'm so confused I can't figure out how to reverse this. It should be simple, but I keep thinking of "what if it does this, or what if it does that?". Seems like I should simply be able to unravel the cast on stitches and start again, but will the working yarn be on the proper needle, or will it be on the opposite one I need it to be? Oh dear, my head hurts.................

kae1crafts
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't know.....will that leave a gap between my knitted on stitches and the cast on stitches, and will the working yarn still be on the #6's? I don't have a cold, but this has done to my brain what sticking a fork in a toaster will do to the rest of you. I'm so confused I can't figure out how to reverse this. It should be simple, but I keep thinking of "what if it does this, or what if it does that?". Seems like I should simply be able to unravel the cast on stitches and start again, but will the working yarn be on the proper needle, or will it be on the opposite one I need it to be? Oh dear, my head hurts.................

If I were at this impass, I would unravel back to where you have the original stitches put onto the size 8 needles.

At this point I would make sure that I had the live yarn at the point needed to cast on more stitches attached to the stitches on the size 8 needles.

I would then get a zip type bag and place the size 6 needles with the stitches on them in that bag to make sure they are separated.

Then I would take one of my double pointed needles to do the knit cast on being careful to have the finished stitch be on the size 8 circular needle.

Once you have cast on the number of stitches needed, place marker and join as directed - making sure that you have a circle without a twist.

Now you are ready to knit the cap portion with the joined stitches using the knit stitch which will magically create stockinet when knit in the round.

Good luck.

Kae

miccisue
02-02-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm baccckkk!!!!

Got the "head" portion done, now it's time to go around the opening and pick up stitches to make the ribbing around the face.

Since I'll be working with unattached yarn, what is the best method to make sure the new stitches will not come unraveled? I've been watching the "picking up stitches" video, and get the idea, but the video is using yarn that's already worked into the project. Do I just find a place and tie a knot and then start picking up stitches from there? The way the pattern reads, there is not even any yarn from the previous knitting to try and weave it together with.

Thanks for any advice! (And, if anyone else has done the citizenSAM helmet liner pattern, can you tell me when you switched to the double pointed needles? This just said "when necessary....and I need details! Because by the time I figure it's necessary, I ended up with oddball numbers on each needle, and ended up with a loose stitch that I managed to work in somehow. ugh)

kae1crafts
02-02-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm baccckkk!!!!

Got the "head" portion done, now it's time to go around the opening and pick up stitches to make the ribbing around the face.

Since I'll be working with unattached yarn, what is the best method to make sure the new stitches will not come unraveled? I've been watching the "picking up stitches" video, and get the idea, but the video is using yarn that's already worked into the project. Do I just find a place and tie a knot and then start picking up stitches from there? The way the pattern reads, there is not even any yarn from the previous knitting to try and weave it together with.

Thanks for any advice! (And, if anyone else has done the citizenSAM helmet liner pattern, can you tell me when you switched to the double pointed needles? This just said "when necessary....and I need details! Because by the time I figure it's necessary, I ended up with oddball numbers on each needle, and ended up with a loose stitch that I managed to work in somehow. ugh)

1. Picking up stitches. When I need to pick up stitches in this type of circumstance, I begin the first stitch by leaving a long tail - at least 4 inches - so I can weave it in using duplicate stitches. This will make a stretchy, almost invisible securing of the yarn without knots. Just pull a loop through where you want to start leaving the long tail and continue picking up the stitches. When you get back to that first stitch, knit or purl as needed but be sure to tighten the tension on that loose stitch as you turn your work so it doesn't separate too much. Once you have completed the area you are working, then thread that long tail thru a needle and duplicate weave the ends into the knitted fabric. :hug:

2. You need to change to the double pointed needles when you have tight tension on the circular needles. You don't want your stitches to have to stretch around the circular needles. As you knit and decrease you will have to manipulate the remaining stitches on the DPNs so that you have the ones you need to knit together on the same needle. I do this by simply slipping the 'missing' stitch from one needle to the next so I can knit 2 together from the same needle. You will often be working with a different number of stitches on each DPN so don't let that worry you. When I get down to the next to last row, I make sure that I am ending so that I have a free needle to knit the last round onto. That will make it easier to finish the round smoothly. :knitting:

Please contact me if you have more questions. I'll try to answer as soon as I can but I'll be off-line most of the next couple of days as DH is in hospital again - surgery tomorrow which hopefully will stop all the bowel obstructions.

Kae :cheering:

miccisue
02-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Well, I finished it. It's not bad, but I can tell that the more you make the better you get (at least for me....these directions weren't quite enough for me - I need the "when you get to x number of stitches, divide them between 3 dp needles) and I think maybe I might need to do more decreaes near the place where the ribbing from the neck meets the ribbing around the face. It almost seemed like there was too much of a gap there, although hubby tried it on and said it fit him fine.

I also found out picking up stitches when using black yarn is tougher than the video that shows using lighter colored yarn (or maybe that's just me, too), but since that's one of the few colors allowed I'll just have to keep practicing and learning.

Thanks kae for all your help!!! I'll stick this one in my As package, and let them see if one of them can wear it - if not, they can pass it on.

kae1crafts
02-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Well, I finished it. It's not bad, but I can tell that the more you make the better you get (at least for me....these directions weren't quite enough for me - I need the "when you get to x number of stitches, divide them between 3 dp needles) and I think maybe I might need to do more decreaes near the place where the ribbing from the neck meets the ribbing around the face. It almost seemed like there was too much of a gap there, although hubby tried it on and said it fit him fine.

I also found out picking up stitches when using black yarn is tougher than the video that shows using lighter colored yarn (or maybe that's just me, too), but since that's one of the few colors allowed I'll just have to keep practicing and learning.

Thanks kae for all your help!!! I'll stick this one in my As package, and let them see if one of them can wear it - if not, they can pass it on.

I'm so glad you were able to finish the helmet liner with success. :yay: If it fits your hubby it should work fine for others. It is always such a nice feeling to be able to complete a tough project and have it be successful.:woohoo:

I too have trouble working with black and try to only knit on it in daylight especially when picking up stitches. There is something about the natural light that helps me in that process.

Happy knitting. :knitting: The next one should be a lot easier.

Kae

miccisue
02-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Did you have any problems with there seeming to be a bit of a "gap" right around (what in Shandeh's picture looks like the eye or "meeting area")? Bob said it was OK, but they were so specific about no areas for wind to get in, and I don't think mine is that close a fit. I'm wondering about taking in a couple extra stitches in that area in the final row.

Of course, if it won't work for that, they can always wear it to bed if their heads get cold at night.............. (can you tell I'm a perfectionist who ALWAYS second guesses myself?)

Thanks, and I'll keep at it! I have another skein of black and one of brown, so I've got at least two more in me. But, since I'm having outpatient knee surgery Friday, maybe I should pick up a couple more skeins in case I'm not knocked out from pain meds and run out of yarn.

kae1crafts
02-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Did you have any problems with there seeming to be a bit of a "gap" right around (what in Shandeh's picture looks like the eye or "meeting area")? Bob said it was OK, but they were so specific about no areas for wind to get in, and I don't think mine is that close a fit. I'm wondering about taking in a couple extra stitches in that area in the final row.

Of course, if it won't work for that, they can always wear it to bed if their heads get cold at night.............. (can you tell I'm a perfectionist who ALWAYS second guesses myself?)

Thanks, and I'll keep at it! I have another skein of black and one of brown, so I've got at least two more in me. But, since I'm having outpatient knee surgery Friday, maybe I should pick up a couple more skeins in case I'm not knocked out from pain meds and run out of yarn.

First, good luck with the knee surgery. My daughter has had surgery on both knees to keep her kneecap from dislocating and I know just how much trouble knees can be. :hug:

Second, for the gap, can you take a couple of duplicate stitches and close the gap? I always finish off my ends with the duplicate stitch weaving technique so the ends don't come loose and there aren't any knots. That method should work to close the gap. I think there is a video on knitting help showing how to do it.

Like you, I feel a lot better if I have lots of yarn available for projects when I'm recovering (or sitting with my husband when he is recovering). It is my 'security blanket' I guess.

Good luck and happy knitting. :knitting:

Kae

Shandeh
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Congratulations on your helmetliner completion, miccisue!
:cheering: :woohoo: :cheering:
And kae1crafts was a great helper. :thumbsup:

Gertie
02-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Congrats in finishing your first helmetliner! I like to do them. I think I've done seven now. I understand about the black yarn. I did my first in black. Tan is so much easier for me.

I use Cascade 220 & Galway. Both work for me. I make the neck ribbing 7 3/4 inches long and still have yarn left over. For the above the eyes part, I use a provisional cast on cause I don't like picking up stitches. I usually do a Russian bind off. Is stretchy. I don't worry about the gap beside the eyes. It helps the fabric to not be stressed when the part that covers the mouth is below the chin. On the first one I made, I knew the recipient. He just tucked the gapping fabric in.

I hope all goes well in your surgery.

fluffybunny
02-11-2010, 10:24 PM
HMMM. While it isn't specificly mentioned I have some oh-so-soft alpaca I just finished spinning in very dark brown. It would be much nicer than pure wool, even merino. I guess the reason for wool is fire hazard reasons, and alpaca would certainly qualify for this. But sometimes these organizations can be so opinionated, and reject perfectly good items that should be just as good - and in this case superior -to what they recommend.

I also have some nice brown heathered (winds up being med-dark) natural brown colored lamb's wool with about 10% angora in it. Also very very soft, and would not be brightly colored at all. I don't think they'd notice the angora unless I told them it was there.

I spin these drab colors because my brother the truck driver won't wear anything else. But he secretly enjoys a touch of luxury when driving up in New Hamshire or Maine this time of year. And he's had big burly dock workers ask where he got his warm ski band.

Donna

kae1crafts
02-12-2010, 01:34 AM
HMMM. While it isn't specificly mentioned I have some oh-so-soft alpaca I just finished spinning in very dark brown. It would be much nicer than pure wool, even merino. I guess the reason for wool is fire hazard reasons, and alpaca would certainly qualify for this. But sometimes these organizations can be so opinionated, and reject perfectly good items that should be just as good - and in this case superior -to what they recommend.

I also have some nice brown heathered (winds up being med-dark) natural brown colored lamb's wool with about 10% angora in it. Also very very soft, and would not be brightly colored at all. I don't think they'd notice the angora unless I told them it was there.

I spin these drab colors because my brother the truck driver won't wear anything else. But he secretly enjoys a touch of luxury when driving up in New Hamshire or Maine this time of year. And he's had big burly dock workers ask where he got his warm ski band.

Donna

The word I have is that natural animal fibers such as wool, alpaca and a blend of those is fine as long as there is NO synthetic fibers included. The animal fibers burn slowly while the synthetics melt into the skin and then stick which causes much more damage than a little ash from the animal fibers.

Your handspun yarn sounds perfect and we would happily accept them knit into helmet liners.

Thanks so much for considering creating the liners from such special materials. :thumbsup:

Kae

borealowl
03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
I got this pattern at Michael's as a free one with Patons Classic Wool and hope to do it soon. Good to know I have all this info to refer to if I have a problem. I love Shandeh's multicolor one and may make one for myself first as practice. Then make some for this project and for homeless shelter here.

MGM
06-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I also knitted one which I sent to Patternworks. I posted about it HERE (http://www.hookedonneedles.com/2010/02/knitted-helmet-liner-complete.html). It was a pretty quick project, as knitting projects go. I'm a slow knitter!

MGM

wdkeyser
07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm so disappointed....I just read on the Citizen SAM site that they will no longer be allowed to send the the helmet liners to the troops. I just purchased all the supplies I would need so I could start one. November is the last time they will accept them so if you've started one, get it in quickly!!

Wendy

kae1crafts
07-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm so disappointed....I just read on the Citizen SAM site that they will no longer be allowed to send the the helmet liners to the troops. I just purchased all the supplies I would need so I could start one. November is the last time they will accept them so if you've started one, get it in quickly!!

Wendy

Thanks for the update Wendy - I will check with the Red Cross Liasion re the beanie type liners.

Kae

GinnyG
07-29-2010, 06:57 PM
That is sad!

kae1crafts
07-29-2010, 09:09 PM
That is sad!

Dear kae1crafts,

GinnyG has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Helmet Lners for the Troops - in the Charity Knitting forum of KnittingHelp.com Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89429&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

I just went to the Citizen Sam website and could find nothing about them not accepting the helmet liners after November......
http://citizensam.org/

Could you link the information?

Ginny,

The info came from Wendy in post 30 of this thread. I don't have the link.

Kae

sgtpam
07-29-2010, 09:33 PM
There was a post on Ravelry knitting military supporters group by SerineKat. that says "Citizen Support for America’s Military (CSAM), Operation Helmetliner’s parent organization, has recently been informed by its military contacts for the helmet liners that the military has begun issuing its own helmet liners made of a special wicking material as its standard. They will no longer be allowed to accept the liners you have so lovingly made."

There's more to her post...

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/knitting-military-supporters/1239995/1-25

knitbrit10
08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Damn! I literally just was directed to this thread.Does anyone here know of a British equivalent because they are still over there and are not coming back,for a while as far as I know.I would appreciate it if anyone knows anything.Thanks a lot. :)

kae1crafts
11-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Damn! I literally just was directed to this thread.Does anyone here know of a British equivalent because they are still over there and are not coming back,for a while as far as I know.I would appreciate it if anyone knows anything.Thanks a lot. :)

The latest information I have is from the Red Cross Liaision at Ft. Carson - the deploying troops have been issued helmets with memory foam liners that protect the troops better from the IED blasts but don't have any extra room for helmet liners.

Troops that have the older helmets still use the wool beanie type liners - especially if they are in the mountains of Afghanistan - which is very cold. There is no organized group that is supplying these liners that I have found but if you have contact with a specific soldier in that area, you can address a box of the liners to that person so they can hand them out to their buddies. Be sure the soldier is willing to do this.

I hope this information helps.

Hugs, happy stitching and thanks for thinking of our troops.

Kae

Gertie
04-27-2011, 08:15 PM
I received this yesterday from Citizen Support for America's Military. I'm posting it in case anyone would like to check out their site for other ways to help our troops. The note also has their new address.

"Citizen Support for America's Military (CSAM), Operation Helmetliner's parent organization, has recently been informed by its military contacts for the helmet liners that the military has begun issuing its own helmet liners made of a special wicking material as its standard. They will no longer be allowed to accept the liners, stocking caps, neck gators or scarves you have so lovingly made.

"Thank you for all your awesome support of this wonderful project over the past 5 years. Please use your skill and talents, care and love in other ways to support our troops. Our website, www.citizensam.org, offers many projects that may fit your skills that are not being closed down, as Operation Helmetliner must do. We will ship any helmetliners you have already made, but must discontinue after that.

"Remember, it is all about supporting them in any way we can. It is the least we can do in return for their sacrifices.

"This is also to notify you we have changed our address. Please send all future mail/packages to the following address:

Citizen Support for America's Military
PO Box 1975
Bloomington, IL 61702-1975
309 692 4008

"We appreciate your generosity because without volunteers like you this would not be possible.

Citizen Sam Board Members"

kitchnerkat
05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I would like to make the helmet liners but I am a beginner. Is this too much for a beginner? Don't laugh I have been a beginner knitter my whole knitting life.

kae1crafts
05-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I would like to make the helmet liners but I am a beginner. Is this too much for a beginner? Don't laugh I have been a beginner knitter my whole knitting life.

If you can knit, purl, increase one stitch and knit two together you should be able to do this hat. It is easiest of you have a size 8 or 9 circular needle 16-inch and a set of matching double point needles.

The pattern is free courtesy of the Denver Public Library and here is a link to the PDF file http://denverlibrary.org/files/knitting.pdf

Please note that none of the organizations are accepting helmet liners for the troops as their helmets have changed and there is no longer room for a knitted liner. These are still great hats for wearing off-duty or to make for other charities. If they are being sent to the military - 100% wool is a must for safety reasons.

Most of the techniques needed are either demonstrated on Knitting Help or you can Google the name and find numerous YouTube videos to help.

Good luck and happy stitching,

Kae

fatoldladyinpjs
05-04-2011, 12:08 AM
If you want another project to replace the helmet liners that have been discontinued, there are plenty. If you don't know where to donate knitted items, you can always contact your local Salvation Army. Schools are always looking for hats, scarves, and mittens for needy students. If you're a beginner, you can knit a simple blanket to put in the bottom of cages at your local animal shelter. You can call them to see if they will take them and what sizes they need. You don't have to do the Snuggles pattern they show you here. You can simply do all garter stitch if you want. Use any yarn. Use any size needle. Make a striped blanket to use up your yarn stash. It's your pet blanket your way. These are great blankets to practice new stitches on. When I was practicing Fair Isle knitting, my cats got some of the prettiest sleeping blankets in town, if I do say so myself.
http://volunteerguide.org/volunteer/fewhours/animal-shelters.htm
http://www.snugglesproject.org/knit/fun-fur-snuggle.html

http://www.p2designs.com/Links-CharityPatterns.htm

http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20041012153442/www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/difference/craftforprr.shtml

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/charity-links.html#usa