PDA

View Full Version : cotton cables

JuliannaHeiby
02-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm hoping to start working on a sweater and I'd like to make it out of a cotton blend (cotton-ease, to be exact). Ideally, it would have cables, but now that I'm reading some patterns and gathering ideas, I'm realizing that a lot of cable patterns recommend wool, only. They claim that cables will stand out better in wool than other fibers.

While knitting with cotton-ease, it seems like any shapes or patterns I put in are very bold and have a great "pop", but does this shape come out in the wash? What's your take on using cotton for designs and cables?

suzeeq
02-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Cottonease should work great with cables. To check, take some of the yarn and knit a sample of a cable pattern. Do about 2 cables across and 2 repeats lengthwise to get an idea how it will behave.

JuliannaHeiby
02-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Awesome! I enjoy knitting with wool, but as the spring approaches (I mean, can't approach FAST ENOUGH!!!) there will soon come a need for non-wool items. Glad to know I can do the cables I enjoy in a seasonal yarn.

I'm picking up new knitting skills quickly. But there's still so much I don't know (see above thread Re: knitting into the back of a stitch >.<)